Do the old veterans have a chance agains young powergamers?

143 replies to this topic

#21 StarSlayer40

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationClan Space

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:31 AM

I don't really care about age. If there is a really young kid who just has a great ability in strategy/tactics and combat like battletech requires, then let him use it. If there is an older guy who is skilled as well, like to see ya out there too.

Remember though, if you aren't among those who is inherently good at this kind of stuff, just keep trying...and try to keep in the company of people who are. You'll get there eventually :D.

#22 Rustic Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 252 posts
  • LocationCastile Central HQ

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:31 AM

You've talked about the "Last real game" and 40 years old veterans, but I'm 23 and played MW4 when it went live, and I have a company of Ironwind Metals Battletech minis.

So, young veteran?Old powergamer?

Edited by Rustic Dude, 20 June 2012 - 05:31 AM.

#23 Audit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:33 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 20 June 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

besides I don't see this as a twitch style gameplay anyway.

It's not. I have to turn the DPI on my mouse down from 5600 to 2500 everytime I play this game, otherwise I can't aim consistently. It's not like CoD or BF3 where you need to hit someone just three times, you need to consistently hit the same spot in this game to do damage.

#24 Mystacali

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

Experience and decitful tactics always beat youth and exuberance, every time! The smart thing a young person should do when they see an old guy accross the field is wait for backup. But is probably too late by then because you have been painted and the LRMs are already inbound.

#25 NWHHarrier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 352 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:35 AM

I think the age of older players, in many cases at least, might reflect a greater willingness to work as a team which would make them more effective too, certainly moreso than a CoD kiddie who zergs for a few matches before uninstalling the client. The CoD kiddie is an extreme example and I'm sure there are plenty 20-30 somethings itching for teamplay, but hopefully you get what I mean.

#26 DarkTreader

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Honestly, even if it was based purely on time spent, I think the older gamers (or those of us who were holding a 'Mech in one hand and a bottle in the other) are going to have a pretty serious edge when it comes to playing this, even if it is only for the first few months.

While the influx of indigs will be trying to puzzle out *** a chrome-plated muffler actuator does, and why they really need to go and get chemlight batteries, we'll be making drop after drop, banking even more time. Loadouts won't be a problem, as we're all familiar with the weapons, the 'Mechs, and the most common variants.

Sure, there'll be a learning curve for all of us in regards to new game mechanics, convergence, multiple reticule aiming, etc... but those of us who have the basics of 'Mech piloting down, and don't expect this to play as Hawken or Quake or CoD or any other twitch game, are going to keep that edge much longer. Because hell, that MoD:MBF39178 player may be a crack shot with his AWP in another game, but if he can't pilot or think tactically, he's a liability.

#27 Cidrich Syslet

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts

@ Audit: think of it like this... your younger and have more general strength, we're older and know more dirty tricks so we're going to win and then continue drinking/stomping around in our Mechs over your twitching body g'luck

#28 Yenaled

• Pip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 12 posts
  • LocationOhio, U.S.A.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:41 AM

Age over youth / Experience over ambition. Its just the way it is. :D And yes, im in the 'oldie' category.

#29 PimpChimp

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAUS

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

Hmmm Almost in that boat. I've been gaming for more than 14 years now (on and off at points) but I'm only 24 and have plenty of time for this game :D - hahaha poor "olds"

#30 Griffinhart

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

View PostMcScwizzy, on 20 June 2012 - 04:59 AM, said:

I wouldn't consider myself old. I'm only 25, but I have never been the "greatest" gamer. I can hold my own. Problem now is I am married and do not have that much time to invest in games that much anymore.

I started playing MW2 back in 1999/2000. Then got introduced to the board game. So I have been playing for a while. Never been the best twitch brawler I do better as fire support.

Yikes, I've been playing Battletech games longer than you've been alive! I think I need to go and buy a sports car or something now....

#31 Audit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

View PostPimpChimp, on 20 June 2012 - 05:42 AM, said:

Hmmm Almost in that boat. I've been gaming for more than 14 years now (on and off at points) but I'm only 24 and have plenty of time for this game :D - hahaha poor "olds"

24 is not old. If it is than so am I at 20.

#32 Flamingmoe

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

I´m 44 years old an representing 30 years of computer-playing-experience.
How will a young hotshot compensate this? Those few milisecond reactiontime ist useless in a game with heavy mechs.
i´ll kill them all :D

#33 Radgor Ryan

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:46 AM

There will be good young players, and there will be good old players.

And there will be a lot of ragers.

#34 Tovran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

It really just depends on player skill, we are in the age now where people who may be marrired/ have kids etc. could have been gaming their whole lives quite easily as well. Young kids are just as likely to be good/ awful as the "older" crowd who decide to play the game from experience.

#35 Haroldwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 233 posts
  • LocationKalispell, MT

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

Yes we do... under certain conditions
1. If the game is about tactics we probably win. i.e. Capture and Hold, ambushing, advance with over-watch (No Leroy Jenkins like in WoW or WoT), misdirect and attack the flanks, etc.
2. If the game is about who can kill the most players then we probably lose. I am too old to win a twitch game with somebody half my age.

#36 BlindProphet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

Depends on the veteran?

Time is something that does need to be invested... but there is something to be said about natural skill and intelligence. Some people just don't require a lot of time in order to get good at a game. I've seen people invest only a handful of hours in a game and almost instantly rise above a good 90% of the players playing. I've seen people invest hundreds of hours into a game and still be completely average. The only difference age has made in my experience has been how seriously someone took the game, and even then there are plenty of exceptions.

#37 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

I dare them youngin's to try and take my Mech with their cold, dead fingers...

Wait that's wrong somehow.

I'm a Mechwarrior PC fan from 1989. Although I was aware of the rpg, there is a very limited nerd culture in Australia and basically, everyone I knew was into Magic:TG card game, and/or Games Workshop et al.

Only a few years ago I saw my first Battletech novel. I bought it immediately, it was book 3 of the Black Widow saga and I was not impressed by the large print and double spacing. Either way, I met up with my new step brother who was a massive fan of the books - He had no idea that there were computer games. Clash of Battletech universes.

So I've read some books, LOVE the Jade Phoenix saga. I've still never played the tabletop - I doubt many of you would count a single attempt at the Dark Age to be 'playing the tabletop'. Oddly enough, I do own some Battletech RPG books but so far the roleplaying interests have been in D&D, Shadowrun and Mage.

With the advent of MWO, I doubt that I will play the tabletop any time soon - but if we ever meet up for some manner of Mechwarrior Weekend, I'm there like it just stole my bike.

#38 Agamemnon78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 257 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:52 AM

Yep, I agree... when some tactics and thinking are involved, the players who do NOT have the whole days length for playtime, will get a proper chance at beating the die-hard-24/7-gamers :-)

#39 Logan Doyle

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationTundra

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:53 AM

Well lets hope this is a true mechwarrior game with no easy button. Power gamers are those little kids with daddy's credit card. They love to buy their way to the top. Lets hope this game is based on skill and not a credit card. Oh ummmm yeah I gave mine to them already doh! My point...... Not to worry there are plenty of us older mechwarrior guys out there. (Skill over Card) :D

#40 Chupacabra

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCrawfordsville, IN

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:53 AM

I'm curious to see how many folks stick it out and don't lose interest after the first few months before moving on to the "next cool thing." I'm looking fwd to investing time in this and playing lots and lots!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users