Do the old veterans have a chance agains young powergamers?

143 replies to this topic

#1 Comguard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 652 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

People who love Battletech must be pretty old (in terms of videogaming!) because the last "real" game was, like what, 10 years ago?

People who love the Battletech Tabletop are probably even older.

As a consequence: those people have jobs, families and so on.

My question: will the die-hard and matured Battletech-Fans have a chance against the new generation of young Powergamers who can invest multiple amounts of time into this game?

Just imagine: Player 1 is 40 years old, has 50 Battletech-Novels on his shelf, the miniatures painted by himself have a special place - but in-game everyone calls him noob :)

(Hope this thread isn't taken to seriously :D )

Edit: Oh, just as a short info, I'm on the side of the old ^_^

Edited by Comguard, 20 June 2012 - 04:50 AM.

#2 Winfield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:52 AM

I don't think invested time will have much to do with individual player skill. Sure, someone who spends more time will learn more tricks FASTER but if the player who spends less time is just better, he will be just as good, if not better.

tl;dr: It boils down to individual player skill.

#3 Ragequitter

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

I have almost reached the 40 year mark, and am looking forward to immersing myself in the game. Let them call me a noob, that sort of ingame talk towards me usually ends in me marking them as idiots, therefore I ignore them. Then I get on with enjoying the game. :D

#4 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

A little puzzled about the OP, why is age being associated with skill? The more correct association should be time and skill :D

It has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with the amount of time you can invest. But that's not really a problem with the game though, any skill in existence is like that.

In fact, I think most would agree that a game where someone who hardly plays can come on and still have a 50/50 chance of beating a more regular player wouldn't be fun either, since to have a situation like that you'd be looking at a game which goes the extreme of de-emphasising skill, no?

#5 McScwizzy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:59 AM

I wouldn't consider myself old. I'm only 25, but I have never been the "greatest" gamer. I can hold my own. Problem now is I am married and do not have that much time to invest in games that much anymore.

I started playing MW2 back in 1999/2000. Then got introduced to the board game. So I have been playing for a while. Never been the best twitch brawler I do better as fire support.

Edited by McScwizzy, 20 June 2012 - 05:00 AM.

#6 Salamander Z

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 49 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationTulsa

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:03 AM

I think, once the MMO-PVP / FPS respawn ZERG crowd figures this game out they will be JUST as good as us old folks.

#7 Comguard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 652 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

@valore

My connection between age and skill:

The older you get, the less time you have for playing :D

#8 Easily

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

I'm 22 myself, and if my dad (60) is a good representation of the skill of players around his age.. Let's just say I fear for you oldies ^_^
He only plays about an hour a week on avarage (mostly Battlefield and Call of Duty), but watching him makes me cringe..
He's usually more of a danger to his teammates than to the enemy :)

Luckily, one sample is far from enough to get a good representation of a population, so perhaps there's still hope :D

#9 Blastkowitz

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMinds Eye

Well I guess I have to say I am on the old side, but I welcome the younger ones. Young in regards to gaming just means that they usually have more time to devote to the game vs. us cane walkers :D. Skill is skill, age really means nothing. I have, not on every game mind you, kicked the blankidy, blank blank out of kids while gaming and they in turn have done the same to me. If the game requires skill it will show no matter age. How about real life example? I dare say not many young'uns can take on their pop's in fight and win. There younger and faster maybe, but ol' Dad has years of dealing with everything life can throw at him both physical and mental. Ol' Dad is going to knock junior on his a@##.

Edited by Blastkowitz, 20 June 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#10 m0raca

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:08 AM

Young players rarely make correct overall tactical decisions.

Older players generally make better tactical decisions.

While the twitch factor will play a part in the out come of battles, it will or should be not the deciding factor.

#11 Kittygrinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRocking the boat.

I have feeling this will be the old guys game. Them youngins dont understand true tactics, they just understand how to aim. Theyll learn, but itll be a while.

#12 Audit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

The younger generation will always take over for the older generation. The only question is will you geezers give us the reins willingly?

#13 Blastkowitz

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMinds Eye

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:15 AM

View PostAudit, on 20 June 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

The younger generation will always take over for the older generation. The only question is will you geezers give us the reins willingly?

Come on now. You should already know the answer to that one. Of course not. You got to earn those reins first. Well we at least got to give you sh#@t before we do :D

#14 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

I think m0raca makes a very good point. I play a few RTS games multiplayer, and I don't have the time nor the dedication to play as much as some of the more hardcore players.

However, since I usually play team matches with close friends, I say for a fact good teamwork, tactical planning and co-operation go a long way, and I've had plenty of epic battles against better individually skilled opposition.

And if you're up against the hardcore teams, then well, that's life I guess. I'm sure a league/skill system will be in place so you can play people around your skill level whatever the case, so being continously owned until the game stops being fun shouldn't be an issue :D

#15 m0raca

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

From my cold dead hands.

#16 Promptus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationMatamoras

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:21 AM

Cold dead hands. Kicking and screaming. And biting.

Edited by Promptus, 20 June 2012 - 05:22 AM.

#17 GoGo Yubari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:22 AM

Natasha Kerensky was kicking *** and taking names when she was in her 70s. The same will happen here. :D

#18 Audit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

View Postm0raca, on 20 June 2012 - 05:18 AM, said:

From my cold dead hands.

This can be arranged. :D

#19 Dragonpriest

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:28 AM

Don't count this old dog out yet, cause I still got teeth, an I aim to use them.

#20 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:29 AM

There's a command role ya know, and not many people are willing to follow an 18 year old's orders over a grizzled vet!

besides I don't see this as a twitch style gameplay anyway, it'll be more about position and maneuvering along with a good aim. Good aim can sometimes take patience though as you wait for your target to expose the area you want to focus fire on. Leave it to the noobs to just fire whenever their weapons are ready, they'll not last long.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 20 June 2012 - 05:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users