Reported Missile Damage Bug - May 20Th

259 replies to this topic

#1 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:20 PM

Throughout the day on May 20th after the patch, there were increasing reports of greatly impacted missile performance. This was surprising as no missile changes have been implemented in several patches. Even at this time we are not 100% certain what is causing the bug however there was some work implemented to support the upcoming Clan LRM's. It was expected these changes would not have any impact on the game after patch, obviously this seems to be our culprit. We will look into this issue first thing tomorrow and if a problem is found we will release a hotfix as quickly as possible. Sorry for the disturbance in your regular play style and enjoyment.

More info tomorrow as soon as we have it.

#2 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for getting back to us on this one. :)

#3 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

I called it.

So Escef, will you add "Nostrasephlock" to the list of my nicknames now, or do you want to wait until the Clans officially hit? Or until the IS versions officially hit?

I guess it is POSSIBLE that they could reverse these changes completely before the IS versions hit, or the game could go under (god forbid) before they come out.

Edited by Sephlock, 20 May 2014 - 11:07 PM.

#4 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

Much thanks for acknowledging the issue in a quick & timely manner.

#5 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:50 PM

How does one actually believe this...

Throughout the day on May 20th after the patch, there were increasing reports of greatly impacted missile performance. This was surprising as no missile changes have been implemented in several patches.

When this is happening...

Even at this time we are not 100% certain what is causing the bug however there was some work implemented to support the upcoming Clan LRM's.

I dunno... it doesn't sound like it was tested (the extra holiday for Canadians didn't help there).

It was expected these changes would not have any impact on the game after patch, obviously this seems to be our culprit. We will look into this issue first thing tomorrow and if a problem is found we will release a hotfix as quickly as possible.

It does smell of poor coding practices.

Edited by Deathlike, 20 May 2014 - 10:50 PM.

#6 IceGryphon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 272 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:51 PM

Someone must of Hacked Paul's twitter.
Posted Image

#7 Deux

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 474 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:53 PM

Everything is fine, everything's working as intended.....please step this way for some refreshing kool aid andddd a shiny new hero mech that you can give us real money for.....

#8 Durandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 227 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:57 PM

Translation here, unfortunately, is "don't bother playing until tomorrow at the earliest" isn't it? I normally try to be more positive on the forums, but isn't it just so nice that we don't have an active PTS that people are encouraged to play on to find stuff out like this before it goes live?

#9 I C Wiener

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

I think, the new LRM issues are more of a lag/ connectivity issue.

I have lots of different symptoms of the same connectivity problem since the patch and I think LRM and SSRM hit registration is one of them. I often can't see my teammates on the map, don't see their kills in chat and don't see their names while pressing q. As if they (or I) weren't properly connected.

It seems that LRM's and SSRM's (haven't tested normal SRM's) have problems registering impact with these new connectivity issues.

Edited by I C Wiener, 20 May 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#10 Kirtanus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 156 posts
  • LocationRDL

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

View PostI C Wiener, on 20 May 2014 - 10:58 PM, said:

I think, the new LRM issues are more of a lag/ connectivity issue.

yea, servers are not stable atm. last game was totally corrupted. hope it gets fixed soon.

#11 Deux

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 474 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:00 PM

Only problem with their public test servers is that it's mid week when everyone's at work or school, rather then kicking some money for overtime and doing it on a weekend when most ppl are off and actually play.

#12 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

Various people have tested it. Damage on all missiles appears to be more than halved.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

View PostQuax1102, on 20 May 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

Great. Bullshit testing by PGI as always. When do you finally accept you are unable to develop a game?

Technically they wouldn't have any reason to test it, if they created a separate class of the weapon subtype Grenade (as all of MWO's missiles are for whatever strange and twisted reason it is) for Clan LRM or as a subclass of LRM for Clan LRMs. It would therefore be unrelated.

However if what they did was add some entries to the XMLs, then it's very easy to have accidentally created a world of bugs.

What frustrates me is even I know that, and I'm only just beginning to learn development.

Edited by Koniving, 20 May 2014 - 11:07 PM.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:11 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 20 May 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

Throughout the day on May 20th after the patch, there were increasing reports of greatly impacted missile performance. This was surprising as no missile changes have been implemented in several patches. Even at this time we are not 100% certain what is causing the bug however there was some work implemented to support the upcoming Clan LRM's. It was expected these changes would not have any impact on the game after patch, obviously this seems to be our culprit. We will look into this issue first thing tomorrow and if a problem is found we will release a hotfix as quickly as possible. Sorry for the disturbance in your regular play style and enjoyment.

Well, a shame it took me going to draconian extremes to get people's attentions, but thank you for at least acknowledging the issue. I would really like to enjoy my shiny new "Loup de Guerre" I bought before finding out 66% of it's hardpoints were currently useless.

Even though you find me a nuisance, just keep in mind that many of us who are talking are still financing this game, and want it to succeed.

View PostModo44, on 20 May 2014 - 11:01 PM, said:

Various people have tested it. Damage on all missiles appears to be more than halved.

Actaully, they appear to be scaling. At minimum range, they are doing closer to 1/10th damage. at 500 meters half. Have a feeling (might test it), at 1000 meters they might do full. In fact, if the client permits, I think I'll drop into the testing grounds right now.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:11 PM

Now as a random thing of interest... I had very little trouble dealing damage with LRMs beyond 500 meters. But between 250 and 180 they seemed to be foam darts.

So what was the Clan minimum range that they decided for LRMs? It was supposed to be 75 meters right? Or did they seriously make it 'drop' damage gradually from 270 meters and under?

#16 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:12 PM

Damage was indeed screwy. I dropped in a private match with an Oxide and 4 tons of Streak ammo. At 2.5 per missile you'd expect that to do 1000 damage with no misses.

After 400 rounds of streak ammo, this was my damage done:
Posted Image

Massive props for posting this so late at night, Russ. Thanks.

Edited by DEMAX51, 20 May 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#17 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:14 PM

It seemed to me that SRM damage was scaling at close range, similar to how the clan LRMs are supposed to be working in MWO. I seemed to do normal damage at max range, but not at short range. This should not happen to SRMs.

#18 Deux

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 474 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

Oh no one is doubting there is a problem, I think what durandel was getting at was if there is a test server how are bad patches going out when this stuff should be tested before it goes live. I mean this game isn't In beta anymore, there hasnt been a new mech in a cpl months( other then buy this new hero mech...no enforcer,no vindicator, no Zeus, no grasshopper, hell no urbies) no new maps other then just throw some snow on it and call it the winter maps, no CW....and yet every patch we seem to get has more issues then in solves....I'm a founder, I bought the phx mechs, I reallllllly want to buy the clan mechs, I've bought mc, but my confidence in pgi is now utterly shaken....I'm not going to jump up and down and demand my money back pffffft. I just want to see the game that they promised to deliver. I want to play that game that russ talked about at e3 and pax and all those things yrs ago. I want to play the game that I know everyone is desperate to see and play.....

But it's not so much as I'm angry, I just feel like I'm watching my best friend die a slow painful death and nothing I can do can save them.

#19 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

View PostKoniving, on 20 May 2014 - 11:11 PM, said:

Now as a random thing of interest... I had very little trouble dealing damage with LRMs beyond 500 meters. But between 250 and 180 they seemed to be foam darts.

So what was the Clan minimum range that they decided for LRMs? It was supposed to be 75 meters right? Or did they seriously make it 'drop' damage gradually from 270 meters and under?

You hit the nail on the head, same thing with my streaks more damage closer to max range, and next to none up close. I think we found their bug for them, they applied the clan missile scaling to all missiles.

#20 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

PAUL FINALLY FIXED THE TREBUCHET META

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users