Pilots Behavior When It All Goes Sideways

250 replies to this topic

#1 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:19 AM

We've all been there, almost the whole team dies and in our team stand to have one last pilot alive.

Depending on the circumstances of the match, that pilot can have lots of choices.
But when the enemy has 7+ 'Mechs working and the game mode is Skirmish (or even Assault), what should the last standing pilot do if there are between 5-8 minutes for the match to end?

1 - Run for cover and hide, trying to ambush one strangler or just trying to survive
2 - Face the enemy and go out fighting (even if the last pilot is a sniper light 'Mech?)
3 - Self destroy - Run past the map's limits or OVERRIDE and heat up until death

What are your thoughts?
I know there are lots of situations and that's why I tried to narrow them down to the example above.

Let's say I'm curious because, I myself have done all of them since I first started playing this game.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:21 AM

If I have weapons, I'll try to pick off some enemies from the distance, hopefully one by one, until I die. More damage done = more C-Bills+XP.

If I have no weapons left, I'll deny the enemy the pleasure of killing me, by going out of bounds. Shutting down and waiting for the timer to run out is dumb, because I could be fighting and killing in the next match already.

Simple logic, really.

Edited by El Bandito, 22 May 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#3 crossflip

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSouth India

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:34 AM

I think denying kills is a silly notion. I would go out fighting, but that doesn't mean going rambo and melting immediately. I'd try and take down as many as possible with me.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:39 AM

View PostFlipOver, on 22 May 2014 - 02:19 AM, said:

We've all been there, almost the whole team dies and in our team stand to have one last pilot alive.

Depending on the circumstances of the match, that pilot can have lots of choices.
But when the enemy has 7+ 'Mechs working and the game mode is Skirmish (or even Assault), what should the last standing pilot do if there are between 5-8 minutes for the match to end?

1 - Run for cover and hide, trying to ambush one strangler or just trying to survive
2 - Face the enemy and go out fighting (even if the last pilot is a sniper light 'Mech?)
3 - Self destroy - Run past the map's limits or OVERRIDE and heat up until death

What are your thoughts?
I know there are lots of situations and that's why I tried to narrow them down to the example above.

Let's say I'm curious because, I myself have done all of them since I first started playing this game.

He/she should do what ever his/her heart desires. It is his/her choice and the watching dead should shut up and watch. I know I only provide encouragement when I am dead, and Coffin generals are very distracting. :)

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:41 AM

I always just do a full attack when the odds are 7 to 1. No need to make everyone wait. When its closer to 3 to 1 then I think about it more.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 22 May 2014 - 02:41 AM.

#6 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:42 AM

Well for me it's situational.

Being that, there's really no point to the whole notion of a KDR here in MWO, it's almost pointless to just run down the clock if you're playing Skirmish.

In the case of Assault or Conquest, Running and hiding is a viable strategy, especially if you're running a lighter mech and can do a decent job with capping. [this is easier if the remaining enemy mechs are assaults and slow.]

Walking out of the primariy playing field and powering down for no reason... well at that point you're just actively not playing the game, which could be considered greifing and a reportable offense [since you're holding up other players mechs to just sit there and do nothing.]

#7 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:44 AM

I never have those problems. Even when I'm the last man standing I'm so thick in fighting that I don't recognize it.

If i should live when others fall and its an assault map - i might try to move back into cover of those turrets - but they hardly can save you even when your Mech is intact.

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:45 AM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 22 May 2014 - 02:42 AM, said:

Well for me it's situational.

Being that, there's really no point to the whole notion of a KDR here in MWO, it's almost pointless to just run down the clock if you're playing Skirmish.

In the case of Assault or Conquest, Running and hiding is a viable strategy, especially if you're running a lighter mech and can do a decent job with capping. [this is easier if the remaining enemy mechs are assaults and slow.]

Walking out of the primariy playing field and powering down for no reason... well at that point you're just actively not playing the game, which could be considered greifing and a reportable offense [since you're holding up other players mechs to just sit there and do nothing.]
I would call that surrender if the odds are 3:1 or greater. Discretion is the GREATER part of valor.

#9 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:49 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 May 2014 - 02:45 AM, said:

I would call that surrender if the odds are 3:1 or greater. Discretion is the GREATER part of valor.

Hm back when there was RnR several had made the Suggestion to add -a Surrender or "Retreat" function.

But well RnR was removed - and a defeat is a defeat - because MWO is not IS combat its Clan Style Tests.

If it would make a difference to live and fight another day, there would be a "real" choice.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 22 May 2014 - 02:50 AM.

#10 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:49 AM

What are your thoughts?

Pilots choice really!

There is no predefined decision on how a player should act in this case. Any player can play the game however he wants. In this situation he can go down with guns blazing, he can hide till the clock runs out, or he can set up an ambush to kill one more oponent. It's all up to the pilot.

Maybe this'll help you a little: http://mwomercs.com/...ploitsgriefing/

#11 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:51 AM

I think it depends. If its a fair fight and the other team is just better I will run in and go down in flames. If it was one sided and its an 8/12 man mocking during the fight I will do my best to tie them up hopefully buying some other pug drop a good match instead of a stomp by exploit warriors.

Last night I was in a full on stomp by a 12 man with a PGI dude on there team. Even though my team was pug my guys did everything pretty right and stayed out of kill zones and together. We had no ecm and they had one or two on all three lances except split 6x6. Still cant figure out how they formed and closed on two points simultaneously and charged at the same time as we had just moved off the pad. It was pretty wrong from the start. Just so I don't hear i have close to 9500 matches now and this was one of the weirdest I have seen. It was over in less than three minutes and no one on my team had over 100 damage. Two of our team I know and are very good puggers so we were all shocked. Past all that at end of match all 12 went disconnect at the same time. Again very weird and had not seen that before.

I wish I had chance to tie those guys up for the full match saving others from their gangland tactics. Glad to finally understand that PGI does not care about the experiences of new players and casuals as they made it clear to me they are of the same ilk as the worst here who team up to stomp for xp and get off on demoralizing others trying to enjoy a GAME.

#12 Corbenik

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:54 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 May 2014 - 02:39 AM, said:

He/she should do what ever his/her heart desires. It is his/her choice and the watching dead should shut up and watch. I know I only provide encouragement when I am dead, and Coffin generals are very distracting. :)

haha that's golden lol

#13 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:54 AM

I've done all 3, and absolutely hate being the last one alive because pugs didn't listen or blundered into a bad situation. My solution these days when I know pugs are not going to make it is to go full rambo mode and thank the other team for making it quick so I can requeue.

What's worse tho, is once you get away from that bad match, more often than not elo puts you in a better match. Then you win that match, and elo drops you right back down with the same people you saw derp to death that made you go into rambo mode leaving you stuck in elo hell. This wouldn't be so bad if more people were playing, but due to tryhards driving off most of the population... it happens more often than not, especially at certain times of day.

#14 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:55 AM

What are your thoughts?

shart myself, override and suicide

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:57 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 22 May 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

Hm back when there was RnR several had made the Suggestion to add -a Surrender or "Retreat" function.

But well RnR was removed - and a defeat is a defeat - because MWO is not IS combat its Clan Style Tests.

If it would make a difference to live and fight another day, there would be a "real" choice.

There is always a real choice Carl. That some don't like the Choice is not the decision makers problem. I have taught my children this. AND I gave a teacher what for when she told my son he didn't have a choice... once!

View PostCorbenik, on 22 May 2014 - 02:54 AM, said:

haha that's golden lol
maybe so but...

View PostEgomane, on 22 May 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

Pilots choice really!

There is no predefined decision on how a player should act in this case. Any player can play the game however he wants. In this situation he can go down with guns blazing, he can hide till the clock runs out, or he can set up an ambush to kill one more oponent. It's all up to the pilot.

Seems to agree with me, even if you do not. I can't tell the tone you wrote this in. :)

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 22 May 2014 - 03:00 AM.

#16 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:59 AM

Depends on the mech I'm in at the end. If I've got a mech with weapons I'll fight, but on that mech's terms. So a Light will hide, ambush and fade. But my Awesome 8R out of Lrm ammo will charge with its 3 ML blazing to try and take some with him but at least 'gift' the opposing team with his C-bills and Xp filled corpse.
No weapons? I'll just walk up to them and die.

I never suicide and I never shut down in order to not get killed (shutting down for an ambush is a wholly different matter).

#17 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:01 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 May 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

There is always a real choice Carl. That some don't like the Choice is not the decision makers problem. I have taught my children this. AND I gave a teacher what for when she told my son he didn't have a choice... once!

In terms of gameplay? The Ambush option or the Blaze of Glory - hiding and survive is not viable. Because you don't earn more money, you don't earn more XP and a loose is a loose.

If it matters if your whole company get wiped out or if two or three did survive - that is where it becomes interesting.

Anyhow - i never had this problem in the last 2 years - and I love it to shoulder those peakabooguys away und rush into the middle of the fight - its thrilling. Those 5seconds of glory is the only reason to play MWO. (i would gladly have the whole fight is split into multiple engagements instead of this "deathball" crap"

Edited by Karl Streiger, 22 May 2014 - 03:01 AM.

#18 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:03 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 22 May 2014 - 02:59 AM, said:

Depends on the mech I'm in at the end. If I've got a mech with weapons I'll fight, but on that mech's terms. So a Light will hide, ambush and fade. But my Awesome 8R out of Lrm ammo will charge with its 3 ML blazing to try and take some with him but at least 'gift' the opposing team with his C-bills and Xp filled corpse.
No weapons? I'll just walk up to them and die.

I never suicide and I never shut down in order to not get killed (shutting down for an ambush is a wholly different matter).
You need to reread the definition of Suicide I think. :) :D

View PostKarl Streiger, on 22 May 2014 - 03:01 AM, said:

In terms of gameplay? The Ambush option or the Blaze of Glory - hiding and survive is not viable. Because you don't earn more money, you don't earn more XP and a loose is a loose.

If it matters if your whole company get wiped out or if two or three did survive - that is where it becomes interesting.

Anyhow - i never had this problem in the last 2 years - and I love it to shoulder those peakabooguys away und rush into the middle of the fight - its thrilling. Those 5seconds of glory is the only reason to play MWO. (i would gladly have the whole fight is split into multiple engagements instead of this "deathball" crap"
But that is MY choice to make. As the last one standing.

#19 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:05 AM

View PostEgomane, on 22 May 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

Pilots choice really!

players intentionally and repeatedly running out of bounds, or into the enemy team without tactical intent

I agree about the out of bounds part but into the enemy team "without tactical intent" is such a grey area I'm calling BS out on that one.

I can't see this one as being enforceable in the slightest unless you look at the hard data behind those matches to determine the length of time that pilot spent alive and if they did it match after match after match, not just because they got stuck against the same tryhards stomping pugs a few matches in a row. I know most matches I like to hang back and guard the rear, or simply get a tactical feel for how the battle is developing, keeping my damage relatively low until there is a need to strike. If we lose an entire lance within the first two minutes of play, I may decide to "go rambo" into the enemy pack which means I'll get maybe 20-100 damage before death. The other team still gets bills from damage and a kill from my corpse so everyone should be happy.

Another thing is due to the PPC/AC meta, matches snowball quickly after even just one death. It's like a game of chest where all of the pieces are queens. The one who makes the first successful move wins. That's a major issue in itself because comebacks in MWO are fairly difficult. That does make them satisfying, but it also causes threads like this to exist because players would rather skip the wait instead of see the same old stomping scenario play out.

Edited by lockwoodx, 22 May 2014 - 03:11 AM.

#20 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:17 AM

Trying to hide or run out the clock when faced with overwhelming odds is the biggest jerk move in this game. Making the other players wait and watch the clock instead of moving on to the next match is unacceptable.

Of course if there is a chance to possibly pick off the other team one by one you should try it, but hiding is only an option when you might be able to ambush, not just to survive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users