Faction Challenge Tips From The Guy In 6Th Place

16 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

So I am going to give you guys my secret to how I've stayed in the top 10 since yesterday.
I want all Savior's to do well so everyone gets the bonus cockpit stuff.

I started with a Ember and a Ilya and got stomped. Finally I gave in and went with the Battlemaster- 1 with 2lrm15 w artemis a Lrm5 artemis and 4 medium lasers. Xl engine and the most ammo you can cram in it.

The goal is to either get a lot of kills (hard way) or get as many assist as possible with at least 500 or more damaged. Don't focus on 1 guy make sure you fire at every guy you get a chance to lock on to. Don't be up front always stay towards the back of the main line and move when your guys move.

Once people started really gunning for me I switched to a Atlas D with 2 lb10x, 2srm4s, 4 MLS and a std 350. Just pump those lbxs into everything you can. Do not stay in the open use tunnels and overhead cover to protect from LRMs and jump snipers. And if you have multiple Atlai then get ready to push the enemy fast and hard focusing on cataracts and jagers first as the are squishy but but out just as much damage as assaults. Remember to fire and torso twist giving them your arms. Protect your lbs as until you run out of ammo.

If people realize you are running a mech and doing really good they will come at you faster and harder so get ready to switch it up to a different chassis.

Hope this helps any of you guys struggling. Now get out there and f their **** up!

Edited by Kyle Wright, 25 May 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#2 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

You were 4th at one time, right?

#3 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

Made it up to 2nd last night. I'll be back on later to make another go at top 5. I'm really hoping that at least some moderate advise can help more people break into the 2000 point range. We would need at least another 1 5-10 ppl to do so yo lock us into 1st.

#4 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

I've been giving it a shot, but I run fast mediums. That's not going to get me on the boards.

#5 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

Oh forgot to mention guys. Use those aerie and coolshots. Coolshots will help when you need to maintain constant lrm suppression and the Arty and air when you need to keep guys honest and make them rethink their assault. Plus it's a possible 400 damage a piece.

#6 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostPodex, on 25 May 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

I've been giving it a shot, but I run fast mediums. That's not going to get me on the boards.

Just try and switch it up best you can. If you want to try a interesting medium. Run a Griffin 3 with 4 lrm5s, 1 large laser, and a tag use a std engines. Just try and touch everyone one you can.

What mediums are you running?

#7 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

CDAs usually. I can touch everyone. That's not a problem.

#8 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:39 PM

View PostPodex, on 25 May 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

I can touch everyone. That's not a problem.

Saucy....

#9 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

I'll be jealously defending my position Kyle! Once I get home from work... and before/after work tomorrow...

Good advice though, make sure you touch everything out there! Think of it this way, that half-second 1-dmg laser spray that touches the leg of a light is worth 10 points on the assist, that's equal to 150 damage dealt.

So far I have 2 scoring matches with a 4xERLL Misery, 2 scoring matches with a 4xSSRM Oxide, and 6 scoring matches with a 6xML Jenner.

#10 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

View PostFlyby215, on 25 May 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

I'll be jealously defending my position Kyle! Once I get home from work... and before/after work tomorrow...

Good advice though, make sure you touch everything out there! Think of it this way, that half-second 1-dmg laser spray that touches the leg of a light is worth 10 points on the assist, that's equal to 150 damage dealt.

So far I have 2 scoring matches with a 4xERLL Misery, 2 scoring matches with a 4xSSRM Oxide, and 6 scoring matches with a 6xML Jenner.

Flyby as nice as the MC would be I just want those extra cockpit items for everyone that opted in.

#11 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

View PostKyle Wright, on 25 May 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

Flyby as nice as the MC would be I just want those extra cockpit items for everyone that opted in.

Gosh, thanks for making me look like a douche-bag ;)

#12 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:56 AM

I will say this, I'd run a hotter heavier hitting 1S for a long time, I DId switch to slightly lighter-hitting, faster-firing, crap-ton more ammo carrying loadout, and the results were impressive. I climbed from 172nd to 16th, and hit not just my goal of 2k points, but 2100+.

Thanks for the Advice Kyle, it did help me out.

#13 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:01 AM

View PostFlyby215, on 25 May 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

Gosh, thanks for making me look like a douche-bag :)

Congrats man on the top 5 finish. I didnt have it in me to continue grinding against the higher elo players last night. So 6th place is where I will stay. See you next tournament!

#14 ZizZazZuz

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 52 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationin the r/OutreachHPG Discord server

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

I ended in third place, and I ran a simple JR7-F six medium laser build. She's a beauty to pilot. The trick is to stay with the pack until the furball starts. The hardest part is moving and firing at the same time, but once you get that down, you can tear things up. The difference between the way I played and the way you really should, is that boldness gets kills but caution wins games. Rushing out early, when almost no one is dead, means you absorb a lot of fire but get more kills. However, letting the heavies duke it out first, then making the tactical, surgical strikes helps your team more when it needs it.

View PostPodex, on 25 May 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

Psh, sure it can. I suspect any mech can, if you play it right. ;-)

Edited by ZizZazZuz, 28 May 2014 - 08:11 AM.

#15 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:43 AM

Only made 12th myself but I had fun doing it. I realized I need more skill playing. Of course my connection is not the best so I had to play LRMs.

#16 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

Ideally you run whats in your comfort zone. At heart im a brawler type pilot. I only went super heavy because I normally prefer Ac20 mediums, but my Hunchie and Yen Lo wouldnt stand up to the guys I was having to fight. So the Atlas was the best option here. i wouldve run my Ilya with 3xUAC5's but I have fell out of the love with firing mechanics and can't do it nearly as well as I once did.

#17 ZizZazZuz

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 52 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationin the r/OutreachHPG Discord server

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

View PostKyle Wright, on 29 May 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

Ideally you run whats in your comfort zone.

Yes, exactly. I ran a 6ML Jenner build for two reasons. Wait, three. Number one: It's the only mech I had that stood a chance. Two, people ignore Jenners (I help show people the folly of that). And three, I'm used to it. I know what every step should feel like, what every sound means.

All that to say, he's right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users