20 replies to this topic

#1 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:36 AM

Edited by _____, 07 September 2021 - 11:10 PM.

#2 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:41 AM

It's good to see the Awesomes getting some love, gonna have to bring out my 3 PPC 8Q soon <_<

#3 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:46 AM

Probably because "metamechs" are not the omnipotent death gods the forums like to make them out to be?

#4 GrandLocomon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:51 AM

Posted Image
Spoiler

#5 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:54 AM

View PostCyborgDragon, on 26 May 2014 - 04:41 AM, said:

It's good to see the Awesomes getting some love, gonna have to bring out my 3 PPC 8Q soon <_<

Curiosity asks ... Why the 8Q? I prefer the 9M for a triple PPC setup, as the larger XL engine allows for more DHS.

#6 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:59 AM

The Awesomes hit-boxes were adjusted recently with the Center Torso hit-box being made about 20-22% narrower and everything below the waste being split between the two legs. So it got tougher with an ST engine and a toss-up with an XL engine since the Side Torsos are 11% wider. The rest of it is that Ghost Heat hit's the AWS-8Q pretty hard, but you can still go 2 PPCs and 2 Large Lasers and get around it. You can stagger a 3rd PPC too.

Also the Awesome, being so wide takes tremendous damage from LRMs, getting destroyed faster than any heavy mech would.

So alot of the complaints about the Awesome are from before the hit-box re-fit and the Pretty Baby still needs a re-do. It was created when SSRMs actually simulated a hit on the target and SRMs were deadly.

YW

Edited by Lightfoot, 26 May 2014 - 05:08 AM.

#7 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:22 AM

Awesome magic it was.

#8 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:49 AM

Achievement unlocked : 5 star Awesomeness

Maybe it has something to do with the fact you can now fire 3 x PPC now with no ghost heat.

But Awesome none the less.

#9 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

View PostReitrix, on 26 May 2014 - 04:54 AM, said:

Curiosity asks ... Why the 8Q? I prefer the 9M for a triple PPC setup, as the larger XL engine allows for more DHS.

I got it when I first started out, so it was the cheaper option as my C-Bill flow was fairly bad at the time. People always called me stupid for going for the Awesome as my first assault chassis way back when, first mech I ever mastered <_< 3 PPCs, 3 medium lasers, STD 300, and DHS in as many slots as possible, surprisingly heat efficient and survivable when played right.

#10 Nippon

• PipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMagdebursch

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

The Awesomes will save the Inner Sphere from Clan Invasion! <_<

Posted Image

Edited by Nippon, 26 May 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#11 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

It's incredibly rare for me to see Awesomes in game. However, everytime I see one, it's almost always piloted very well in comparison to other chassis. I don't go following them around, but when I happen to see them wandering around the map, they usually make good decisions.

If Awesomes are still bad as people say, I'd have to say that the pilots have become better at the game to make up for a poor chassis.

I'm trying out the majority of mediums first, then doing the Banshee. Before I start working on the Awesome (and the majority of the assaults after the Awesome). So it'll be a while before I really get to try out the Awesome.

Thanks for the sceenshot. Love seeing people do well in things that are usually considered bad in any game. :D

#12 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

View PostCyborgDragon, on 26 May 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

I got it when I first started out, so it was the cheaper option as my C-Bill flow was fairly bad at the time. People always called me stupid for going for the Awesome as my first assault chassis way back when, first mech I ever mastered :D 3 PPCs, 3 medium lasers, STD 300, and DHS in as many slots as possible, surprisingly heat efficient and survivable when played right.

The 8Q was also my first assault for this reason, and for it being a very respectable mech in lore. I posted about the 8Q in other threads and it appears to be very useful in stock-only matches.

#13 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

I've mastered all chasis of the Awesome some i like others I don't, but I never thought it was terrible, just not quite as good as others

#14 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:04 AM

Just because it hasn't been added yet:

Edited by Fiona Marshe, 29 May 2014 - 04:06 AM.

#15 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:13 AM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 26 May 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

The 8Q was also my first assault for this reason, and for it being a very respectable mech in lore. I posted about the 8Q in other threads and it appears to be very useful in stock-only matches.

It is very good in stock matches because it's stock armor for it's weight is pretty high and the fact that even with SHS if you chain fire the ppcs you can get 14 off before overheating.

#16 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

The Awesome is not an easy mech to play, but it is not a "bad" mech in the most literal sense - it's just generally not as good as any of the other options, though it is still capable of breaking a person's face if piloted correctly.

They are wide and bulky, lack jump-jets, and can't use ballistics. But they are nimble for a mech of their weight, have good torso and arm movement ranges, and can pack respectable firepower for a mixed energy / missile platform. They are good at death from a distance and, if SRM's are ever made to work right again, can deliver SRM blasts with decent backup weapons, too.

I doubt they'll ever be a "good" mech - barring vast changes to the model or how the game works - but whenever I see one in game, I take note of it since the guy piloting it is probably capable and slightly off his or her rocker, which makes them all the more dangerous.

As for me, I have 2 of them: the 8V and 8T - and I'd probably keep them ahead of any of my other assault mechs just for the goofy fun they provide me.

I also have to wonder what load-out the OP was running on his 8V - that is a staggering damage score!

Edited by oldradagast, 30 May 2014 - 07:55 AM.

#17 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

The answer is you had better pilots not luck. Kudos to all you awesome pilots, were you LRMing or other?

#18 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 30 May 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

I also have to wonder what load-out the OP was running on his 8V - that is a staggering damage score!

3xALRM15 3xML BAP, TAG, 1620 ammo

The screenshot was a match from the faction challenge part deux. I'm not sure if I'm the only one silly enough to opt into the faction challenge and take AWS's into battle but it did fairly well for me. #7 Liao (I know that's not really saying very much).

#19 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

Ah the Awesome. I'd take it over any other assault. I have Highlanders, Banshees, and Atlas' all mastered. Still prefer the Awesome. Still knock out more damage in the Awesome.

With SRMs finally getting attention, expect to see more Awesome's wrecking faces.

#20 Hans Davion

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

well I have a KDR of 2.88 in my awesome, after 1.6Million XP. All you need is a 9M, a fat XL, 2 large pulse, 2ppcs and heeeeeaaaaps of free time. Will never love a mech more than my beloved 9M

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users