#41 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

View PostKoniving, on 28 May 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

First thing I'm gonna do with a Nova once I get my hands on the model.

Attach the legs to shoulders and remove the pelvis to have a proper Nova. :D

Why?
Because now I can. MWAHAHAHAHA!!!
Spoiler

I am just gonna stand in line right here till you deliver that image, Koniving.
(Nova Cat colors?, Please?)

#42 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

View Post3Xtr3m3, on 28 May 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

No kidding. Much improved.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 28 May 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#43 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

wow the nova's red-gold looks really nice.

#44 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

All i need to complete my collection are mad cats, shadow cats,Maddogs, and Firemoths.

Looking over the Dire wolf picture again i think yes the cockpit needs to be more rounded.

The nova as before looks aewsome can't wait to use that 12 laser prime config

Edited by KursedVixen, 28 May 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#45 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

I was waiting for this beauty:
Posted Image

not this derp face:
Posted Image

#46 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

View Post3Xtr3m3, on 28 May 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

That's entirely up to someone who can texture. I'm an animator. :D And I'm having issues with Max crashing when I try to separate the pieces. I may have to break down, suck up my pride and use Blender to split 'em into pieces and then animate them in either Max or Anim8or.

Though I've had a few already say they would eagerly do custom skins if I started producing animations.

(On a side note, the newer models might be a pain to put together, but they are already in pieces which means they will be much easier to set up for animations! No wonder Heffey did a Locust for his vid. *Already has a crapload of parodies in mind.*)

That poor Locust though. It'd need the nova treatment of removing the pelvis and slapping the legs on the shoulders!
Spoiler

#47 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 28 May 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

Not that big.

Pretty sure it has always been that huge, at least from all the art I've seen of it, plus the models from the previous games. The radius might be a bit too much. Maybe. However, the Daishi is famous for that Boeing 747 cockpit.

View PostNavid A1, on 28 May 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

I was waiting for this beauty:
Posted Image

not this derp face:
Posted Image

I think that's the angle that's screwing with the mech's face, mate.

#48 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

Just cuz I don't know where else to ask, But when will we see Clan versions of IS staples?
Jenner IIc
Locust IIc
Hunchback IIc
etc
??
Soontm?

Edited by 3Xtr3m3, 28 May 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#49 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

Overall the Dire Wolf looks alright. I'm biased towards MW2's version, and MW4's version is goofy as heck. So I'd have to say this is the best version of the Dire Wolf so far. Just fix up the hood a little bit and I have no reason to complain. The way the hood looks now, it pulls off a warhawk vibe too much, with doesn't do any justice to either mech. Either make the top part not so wide, or make the angular part longer and that should be enough. Then I won't have any reason to complain. Other than that (aside from nitpicking the pointy nose), it's looks just fine.

Now that all clan pack mechs have been announced. I'm going to summarize my thoughts now.

I am surprised how almost all the mechs were added in perfectly. Dire Wolf has a tiny problem. Nova is divisive due to it looking nice as something new but going drasticly against the no-torso twist while being low to the ground design it used to have, some people love it, some people hate it. Personally I like the new design, it just doesn't have the "OMG LOOK AT THIS MECH" like the original had, but that's because I'm biased towards loving things that break the norm. Yes, the Kit Fox has torso twist now too, but it has a design that doesn't make it look like it shouldn't have torso twist.

Timber Wolf is the only one I have a few things to say about. IMO, Timber Wolf is the only one that seems to have a degraded design when going into MWO.

It's like someone was trying to turn the Timber Wolf into an Inner Sphere mech. Personally I think MW4's version of the Mad Cat more (and usually I disagree with the MW4 models in some way) as it sticks closely to the original design in many ways, but disguises the tiny arms by adding some more metal in a couple spots on the arm . My favorite is MW2's Timber Wolf, but I'm not saying that should return, at least not with the Timber Wolf name, I just love it's giant ears, long barrels, and long torso. I'm also incredibly biased towards that one because of the intro for Mechwarrior 2 (and I blame Fire Moth, Jenner IIC, and Mad Dog for making me not play the Timber Wolf much).

MWO's Timber Wolf is going to half-represent MWO since it's always been one of the popular mechs, and is almost always on the cover of Mechwarrior games. This can be a good or bad thing. I'm just hoping people will grow to like the design overtime. It's design goes very very far away from the design that makes it look fast, and goes more towards looking like an actual heavy mech which is something I can respect (especially after seeing some of the ugly pictures on Sarna). While I don't mind the Timber Wolf being beefed up a little from it's original designs, MWO's version is beefed up a bit too much, and it looks like it just stole parts from an Inner Sphere mech. Beefing it up a bunch is annoying, however I just wish it kept it's clannish charm to it a bit more. This is the only mech that's going to take me some time to get used to.

So in short. Very nice job on the designs! You surpassed my expectations greatly (was expecting 1 perfect design, 5-6 "meh" and 2-3 bad). I look forward to seeing many more mechs in the future...... particularly clan mechs, since I tend to like clan mech designs more than Inner Sphere mech designs. :D

#50 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

Sabre-style reinforcement package?

#51 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 28 May 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

Pretty sure it has always been that huge, at least from all the art I've seen of it, plus the models from the previous games. The radius might be a bit too much. Maybe. However, the Daishi is famous for that Boeing 747 cockpit.

I think that's the angle that's screwing with the mech's face, mate.

Unfortunately, its not.
you can have a reference point using the nose tip. In the 3D model it's exactly at the center of the cone (vertically). the under side of the center torso cone should have less slope.

you can have a different ref point by comparing the height of the cone to the height of the upper arm in both models.

camera viewport and the FOV number can play tricks on the mind but in this case... :D

#52 Alik Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

Fatlas now has competition for biggest butt, and I really hate to see it's rear hit boxes... length seems a little short... other than that looks very nice.

Edit: Yeah it does look like a cockpit of a 747... :D

Edited by Alik Kerensky, 28 May 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#53 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

Look at the Nova glister like oiled up body builder on the beach.
If only I have spare $500 laying around...

Posted Image

#54 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

COME ONE!

COME ALL!

AND GET YOUR VERY OWN JUMBO JET IN A BOX!

ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY!

COME ONE!

COME ALL!

IT EVEN COMES IN GOLD!

BE A REAL BALLER!

THE AMAZING JUMBO JET IN A BOX!

#55 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

Dire Wolf looks fine to me.

And the gold paint on that Nova screenshot looks so absolutely badass on Canyon! I hope all gold mechs look like that in the right lighting (especially my gold Dire Wolf).

Overall, I'm really happy with how the Clan mechs turned out.

#56 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

nova looks good.. dire wolfs doesn´t...

#57 mack sabbath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

So the Daishi has a turkey neck, it's still Winston Churchill with a crap-ton of kaboom!

The gold looks amazing.

#58 chrisy05

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

Errr, the proportions on the Dire Wolf model are really off. The torso is too large relative to the size of the arms and the legs.

In the concept art, the torso is only about half the height of the legs. In the model, the torso is almost the full height of the legs, baring the feet. The cockpit is also very ballooned and stretched out, giving it that jumbo jet appearance. If the torso were the correct size, the cockpit would be smaller and more circular.

#59 Wrayeth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:20 PM

I've got to agree with other posters that the Dire Wolf looks...off. IMO, the sides of the "hood" need to slope inwards sooner than they do, and jut over the cockpit needs to be shortened. Additionally, the forearms could be beefed up a bit. Then it will actually look like a Dire Wolf.

Basically, the torso looks too boxxy when viewed from the front, something that will be alleviated by changing where the slope starts, and it looks too much like a Warhawk when looked at from the side.

Edited by Wrayeth, 28 May 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#60 Zoberraz

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:37 PM

To be honest, I think what hurts the Dire Wolf the most is the texture panneling on the nose. How segmented some places look, with very contrasting grooves, is probably a huge part of what other people find offputting about the mech's center torso/cockpit.

Were the grooves more understated, people would probably be more cool with that. As is, it does make a poor first impression.

Any hopeful pilot, though, probably needn't worry about that. the only concern they'd have is the perhaps awkward ribbing and Xs running around the cockpit windows. Otherwise, a pilot doesn't have to look at his mech's own nose... and can just luxuriate in the awesome feeling of blasting around with 50ish podspace tons of clan-built implements of destruction.

50 pod space is probably all you need to make as lasting first impression, derpy nose or not.

Edited by Zoberraz, 28 May 2014 - 10:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users