Warhorn Sounds And Option To Turn Them Off

83 replies to this topic

Poll: Warhorn Sounds And Option To Turn Them Off (400 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like the option to turn of the warhorns in the sound options?

1. Yes (269 votes [67.25%])

Percentage of vote: 67.25%

2. No (131 votes [32.75%])

Percentage of vote: 32.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Sable Phoenix

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:05 AM

They absolutely need to include an option to turn them off. The sound effects are awful and I don't want my gaming experience polluted by them. To say nothing of how utterly lore- and immersion-breaking they are...

#22 Nometh

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:47 AM

Yes, so many times yes! The game definitely needs an option to turn off Warhorn sounds. It totally breaks the immersion and is super-annoying.

When only the Heavy Metal had this feature, I wasn't too excited, but it was at least bearable since the mech only pops up occasionally. But during yesterday's public test it felt like every second kill came with a Warhorn sound and that is just too much.

#23 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:56 AM

The joke vid that someone made about the horns is basically true. Most annoying crap I have ever heard. Dub Step and War of the Worlds and Whale noises in MW? No Thanks.

#24 Sgt rico

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

We need to find the guy who had this brilliant idea and force him to listen to these ridiculous sounds the whole day.

#25 Sgt rico

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:21 AM

Seriously, i just listened to each "sound" and i'm really wondering who could honestly believe that this was something positive for the game. It's just lame and seems to come from a 12 year old brain. Don't get me wrong, i've nothing against 12 year old kids but i thought the average age was a bit more like 25-30.

When i think that resources on this game were allocated to that... oh dear...

#26 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

I cringed HARD every time I head the Sonic Boom one in public test.
I think it's the worst one.

#27 damonwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:40 AM

The Heavy Metal is annoying already, but I really will not stand for the battlefield sounding like a kindergarten class playing a musical number. Badly.
This is their way of appeasing and enticing a certain segment of society that needs to celebrate every kill with some sort of arm flex. Sadly, in this case, it's audio arm flexing; " toot! I pwned you newb"!
You know what your Warhorns are PGI? A form of griefing. One of the reasons I liked playing this game was the absence of griefing. Now if I die on the battlefield, I'll have the added anger generated from some lil **** blowing his ******* Vuvuzela Warhorn over my burning corpse in some perverted Mech audio arm flexing? F**K that!

Hell, they aren't even cool sounds, just Windows sound bites. If the decision makers/marketers at PGI have their way, a mech drop will sound like this:

If PWNing sounds are so damn important to so people, let them hear it in their own cockpit, not mine. MUTE BUTTON!!!
When kiddie Vuvuzelas hit I will not play again until you put a mute button into the game. Guaranteed.
Ask yourselves a question PGI; is some crappy gimmicky marketing technique designed to pull younger, less mature players into the game for a quick buck worth losing a lot of dedicated players that have, and would be buying your MCs?

Edited by damonwolf, 13 June 2014 - 06:53 AM.

#28 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

Having watched the ngng pts stream the situation is not as grimm as I expected to be honest. Still I would welcome the option to be allowed to turn them off. Or kind of limit the number of warhorns to one per team?

I could kind of understand warhorns in the solarisVII arenas to be cool.
But on an actual battlefield it is a bit off to me - especially if it gets used by everyone instead of beeing an exception.

Also choice of sounds is so strange.
Why no clan specific wolf howl or falcon shreek?
Why no gaelic bagpipe tune?
Why no old school bitching betty sounds of old MW titles?

#29 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

IF I had to hear any warhorn sounds, give me the Unreal Announcer, oh dear god I'd wet my britches. But seriously, the sound soup is annoying, and the sounds aren't even cool. Need to be removed, remade, or be able to disable them.

#30 Scarcer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

I had $135 lined up for the clan mechs but I'm waiting for a mute option.

Is it too much to ask the Dev team to be consistent?

Answer from Paul: ...Ingame music is not on the drawing board at this moment. The reason is, is that there is so much ambient noise going on that music becomes a hindrance when listening for nuances of combat. Things like warnings, weapon cool downs, instrument feedback, and even listening for enemy footsteps all take priority over music. Ingame music is much better suited for single-player campaign gameplay...

As if immersion is a priority any more, utterly hypocritical.

http://mwomercs.com/...vs-49-answered/

Edited by Scarcer, 13 June 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#31 Icewraith

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

Here's the scene in our office:

Computer: *Warhorn noise for the first time*
Me: *Wince*
My wife: "Is your game going to be making sounds like that often?"
(She already doesn't like the game)
Me: "If it is, there needs to be a mute button for those or I'll have to mute the game. That's annoying."

I understand, the Dire Wolf has been added to the game. That's fine.
But I don't understand why I have to listen to techno whale farting sounds whenever one of them scores a kill.
(Yes I understand it's not just the DW.)

At this point I wonder if it's not actually a source of sound-trolling, like people who really want to annoy other people equip warhorns and then turn their own sound off.

Please add an option to disable these noises.

#32 Red5taR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 129 posts
  • LocationBY

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:33 AM

Please, add Clan Nova Cat warhorn as
Use it! http://hprops.com/sounds/

#33 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:56 AM

Man was I disappointed when I heard Sonic Boom.

I really didn't expect terrible dubstep. Not even from PGI. I really thought it was going to sound cool.

Maybe like an actual sonic boom?

#34 Santos Villalobos

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

We're going to have a battlefield full of silly, 80s-style honks, toots, and sirens, not to mention pilots with helmeted pugs, Canadian flags, and ice cream sundaes on their instrument panel. This takes immersion and smashes its head against the fourth wall.

#35 Alik Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

Cheapens the game even more than lack of content. :huh:

Maybe someone will tell us how to patch the sound files... :ph34r:

Edited by Alik Kerensky, 14 June 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#36 Galenthor Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:36 AM

I listened to all of the sounds that were linked on the cloud site for the warhorns and didn't like a single one... so needless to say I have no intention to equip one should they show up... and an option in settings to disable warhorns completely would be appreciated.

#37 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Blake, I hope we can turn them off.

Something more classy, like a bagpipe fanfare, cavalry trumpet or a marching band sample would have been way better.

#38 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:30 AM

View PostExilyth, on 15 June 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

Something more classy, like a bagpipe fanfare, cavalry trumpet or a marching band sample would have been way better.

Yeah, the classics are missing.

What's about Clan Nyan Cat ?
The trollolo man ?
Guantanamera, played by kindergarden kiddies on wooden flutes ?
La Cucaracha ?
Or that iconic piece of music from the Benny Hill show ?

:D

#39 Noowt

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:23 AM

i hope they keep them and force people to hear the victory toots. It's full of win.

#40 Sable Phoenix

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

So when are we going to see the check box in the audio options menu to turn off warhorn sounds? It's past time we had this, I'm already sick of them.

Edited by Sable Phoenix, 20 June 2014 - 08:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users