Warhorn Sounds And Option To Turn Them Off

83 replies to this topic

Poll: Warhorn Sounds And Option To Turn Them Off (400 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like the option to turn of the warhorns in the sound options?

1. Yes (269 votes [67.25%])

Percentage of vote: 67.25%

2. No (131 votes [32.75%])

Percentage of vote: 32.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

Ok, maybe it is April 1st and I just forgot to reset my calendar, but I found this link with warhorn sounds:

https://soundcloud.c...r-warhorn-sound

To me it seems like the same lame and immersion breaking idea WarGaming had with their honking tanks, from which they thankfully retreated once they realised how stupid it was.

In Battletech sporadic mechs like the heavy metal are reported to have some kind of kill sound, or other mechs play loud galic music when going into battle by lore.

But in MWO soon every mech could be honking around like on a wedding convoi or championship final, which is rather absurd than helping immersion.

So before I have to search my game folder and replace the warhorn sound files with silenced ones, I suggest PGI to let us turn of warhorns in the sound options.

#2 Nova Latios Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 606 posts
  • LocationAnother Galaxy

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:58 AM

I feel that it should not be in options you should have a hot key like (F5 is 3rd person) maybe a key to toggle the warharons on and off in game.

#3 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

I was kinda hopin they would only make sounds to the 'killer' if they had a warhorn equiped. That way I just wouldn't put any on.

#4 Randodan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

I wouldn't mind a beefy warhorn sound like this one from War of the Worlds:

And I agree with Nova Latios Storm- I should be able to trigger it with a press of a button when I want to.

#5 derFiend

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostBobzilla, on 05 June 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

I was kinda hopin they would only make sounds to the 'killer' if they had a warhorn equiped. That way I just wouldn't put any on.

I have the same hope about, but no one let us know this specific. So if it is not only for the "killer" i will have the option to turn it off! I like the weapon and general sounds in MWO, but i don´t want to disturb this by hear a "sound" every time someone do a kill! It´s a funny gag for one type of Mech, in this case the HM, but if everyone plays a sound it´s simple annoying!

#6 Taifune

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:16 AM

Asked these questions already in the German Forums:
1.) Do you hear these sounds only in your own cockpit (as speakers are mounted inside of it) or does everyone hear them?
2.) If everyone does: is it planned to be able to turn warhorn sounds of?  (guess that's what this poll is about)

Edited by Taifune, 07 June 2014 - 06:17 AM.

#7 CPL Madison

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

should ask to turn off the heavy metal music too while your at it :P

#8 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

Although I personally would probably keep them on, I think the idea of letting us turn them off is a sound one. :P

#9 Miles Machina

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

None of those sound much like what I'd expect to hear played when a mechwarrior kills another mech. I'd have expected something that brings either excitement/exaltation or mourning to mind, of those at the OP's link, only Isobaric sounds like an 'announcement', and that's only because it sounds like a ship's horn. I do admit that Yardsdale sounds like something to play at the start of a battle, announcing to the enemy you've arrived, but it doesn't work for me as a something to play after each 'kill'. (Or maybe each lance calling out where they are on the battlefield.)

Seeing as it's part of the clan package, I'm disappointed that there are any warhorns that sound like a wolf's howl, a falcon's cry, a jaguar's growl, or a bear's roar. While there are probably too many different factions to have a distinctive warhorn for each, it would have been nice to have an "Inner Sphere Warhorn" and a "Clan Warhorn" so that when community warfare hits mechwarriors will be able to inspire their lancemates by announcing a kill for 'their' side.

I do agree with the OP that I have very little desire to listen to everyone tooting their own horns whenever they feel like it (or even just for every kill), but if that is now going to part of the 'MWO experience', please consider adding some warhorns that might actually be useful, like a bugler's Calvary Charge, or About (or some useful tune to let your pug-team pull back and regroup). In Pug games, very few people type, or even (in my experience) read what's being typed in team/lance chat, having some easily recognizable warhorns for simple commands like charge, retreat or regroup could actually be useful, and maybe add something to gameplay. Admittedly there will be some confusion as to which side 'sounded the charge', but I'd much rather deal with trying to figure out whether it was my team that sounded charge, or the opposing side that did, instead of just listening to warhorns going off whenever someone gets a kill.

#10 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

I would just vote for more impressive sounding horns.

#11 Jetfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

I was hoping that unlike the Heavy Metal they would be sounds only the user could hear.

#12 ZippySpeedMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 356 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Dropship Earth

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

If they can give us the option for 3rd person (which most people hate, and they swore they would never introduce), they should give us the option to kill the war horns ( only place I want to hear/see them is on Cult Mechanincus Titans, which incidentally are not in the Battletech Universe )

Edited by ZippySpeedMonkey, 10 June 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#13 CarnageINC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

I can't stand the warhorns...and after watching this video posted by AveDominusNox on OutreachHPG it makes me hate them even worse.

PGI just put in a toggle for turning off this stuff for those who don't want to be drowned in it. Why wait and see?
http://www.reddit.co...arhorns/ci4dj52

Edited by CarnageINC, 10 June 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#14 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

I agree with folks ... please put in an option to allow other players to turn off these sounds. I have no interest in hearing them or of forcing other players to listen to mine if I happened to equip one.

#15 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

Got my vote

#16 TBOZ 662

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSchwobaländle

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

nice vote !!!

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

I will not validate this poll by voting on it.

Now, if this were instead a vote to improve the sounds they make, then I will vote.

#18 Smoke Jagaur MAX

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 27 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

I myself would never turn them off, but there are some sniper players that I'm sure would like that. In Compotition play maybe I will to. Please add this feature more options never hurt.

#19 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

It's all rather amusing really.

#20 F R A N C I S

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 64 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

I honestly think it would be silly to be able to turn them off... but rather improve them so they're not annoying? or limit them to certain mechs e.g. champions.

Only because if I equip an warhorn it defeats the purpose if others can't hear it...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users