Reasons To Not Buy An Oculus Rift Dev Kit 2

19 replies to this topic

#1 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

I am a gamer and I have some spare money (Masakari Collection! ^_^ ).

I'm 99% sure about buying an Oculus Rift V.2 for things like Star Citizen or War Thunder, is there any reason to NOT buy it?

I have a mediocre gaming machine (i5 2500k. R9 280x, 12GB ram, 128gb SSD).

#2 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostIqfish, on 07 June 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

I'm 99% sure about buying an Oculus Rift V.2 for things like Star Citizen or War Thunder, is there any reason to NOT buy it?

FACEBOOK

Edited by Imperius, 07 June 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#3 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostImperius, on 07 June 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

FACEBOOK

Yea the name Facebook is on the company and what else?

They are obviously desperately trying to getting their feet into other businesses to be safe once Facebook stops growing.

#4 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostIqfish, on 07 June 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

There is at least one reason to be skeptical, until DK2 comes out and gets a good evaluation: the resolution is not effectively as high as it seems on paper, and this leads to image distortion.

You see, OR tries to represent your entire field of view, give or take, which means the pixels are stretched over your entire field of view, so pixels are effective bigger. This is what an image through DK1 looks like, as a result:

Posted Image

Now, DK2, being 1080P, does have four times the resolution, but people I know who have spoken to devs have said those devs describe DK2 as borderline as an actual gaming device, while DK1 is effectively unusable for any real-world gaming. Most of the time text isn't even readable on DK1, and the "screen door" effect means it's hard to resolve objects that aren't large and well lit.

DK2 does apparently reduce the screen door effect to a point of being barely noticeable, maybe even borderline not-noticeable. Will that be good enough? Time will tell.

It's my guess that the Rift won't be actually good until they get the resolution to about 2560x1600, which will exact a toll from one's GPU, but even 1080P might be just enough.

#5 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostCatamount, on 07 June 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

There is at least one reason to be skeptical, until DK2 comes out and gets a good evaluation: the resolution is not effectively as high as it seems on paper, and this leads to image distortion.

You see, OR tries to represent your entire field of view, give or take, which means the pixels are stretched over your entire field of view, so pixels are effective bigger. This is what an image through DK1 looks like, as a result:

Posted Image

Now, DK2, being 1080P, does have four times the resolution, but people I know who have spoken to devs have said those devs describe DK2 as borderline as an actual gaming device, while DK1 is effectively unusable for any real-world gaming. Most of the time text isn't even readable on DK1, and the "screen door" effect means it's hard to resolve objects that aren't large and well lit.

DK2 does apparently reduce the screen door effect to a point of being barely noticeable, maybe even borderline not-noticeable. Will that be good enough? Time will tell.

It's my guess that the Rift won't be actually good until they get the resolution to about 2560x1600, which will exact a toll from one's GPU, but even 1080P might be just enough.

Is there an image like this for the DK2?

#6 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

Do you want to be able see your keyboard when playing?

YES: Buy TrackIR

NO: Buy OR.

#7 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostevilC, on 07 June 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

I don't need to see my keys since I can type without looking.

#8 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostIqfish, on 07 June 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Not nearly in that detail, no.

Basically, take this image in full size on a 1080P screen, move your head as close as you have to so that your entire field of view is encompassed, and focus your eyes on something in the image

Posted Image

That might give you some idea, but I'm guessing it's still an overly-optimistic idea. However, if the real Rift is nearly this good, then I think it's probably good enough for my uses. We'll see. I'm waiting on feedback from my friends for DK2, and still thinking I'll hold off until they get something like 1440p

View PostIqfish, on 07 June 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

View PostevilC, on 07 June 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

I don't need to see my keys since I can type without looking.

Trackir is also not even remotely something along the lines of "Oculus Rift, but you can see your keyboard". The two aren't even remotely comparable products. Even DK1, which is nearly unusable for gaming, has been described by every single person I've ever talked to who owns or has used one as an absolutely incredible experience as far as gaming immersion.

Edited by Catamount, 07 June 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#9 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostCatamount, on 07 June 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

Trackir is also not even remotely something along the lines of "Oculus Rift, but you can see your keyboard". The two aren't even remotely comparable products. Even DK1, which is nearly unusable for gaming, has been described by every single person I've ever talked to who owns or has used one as an absolutely incredible experience as far as gaming immersion.

This is exactly why I want one ^_^

#10 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

I will be purchasing get one soon as they are availible for going and not just devkits. I hope pgi supports it, but if not I will have other games I can use it on.

#11 crossflip

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSouth India

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

My biggest reason would be that it's a dev kit. I like buying finished products. I don't really see the distinction with the Oculus, but I'll be more comfortable buying it when it's tagged as being complete.

#12 Goosfraba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Wait for the production model.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

Here's a question.
How complex is it to record what is on an Oculus Rift for something like youtube?
Is it safe to assume it is more expensive than Track IR?

Are there similar alternatives that give similar if not identical results without the hefty price?

#14 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

For the curious, here's a resolution simulator that approximates the achieved clarity at various resolutions:

http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/

There are few if any technical reasons I would recommend against it, however a really big reason I do not want to use it with MWO, is the extreme prevalence of discontinuity in regards to movement/controls and especially the high amount and severity of warping/rubberbanding anytime you get too close to other mechs and your hitboxes overlap.

It's merely annoying when this happens on a screen in front of you when you have stable reference outside of the chaos, but when you are *inside the game and this happens it will be very jolting/nauseating, particularly when it happens while you are concentrating and it's as large as life with closing your eyes as the only escape.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to Rifting myself, being a cockpit builder/sim junkie that has focused nearly 100% on kinematics and tactile feedback (all you're left to work with once you strap the rift on) in my builds I am in a unique position to make the most of it once available, especially for MWO. I'm sure it will be incredible in many games, but I have little hope that MWO will be playable with it, owing to the terrible state that movement/conflicting mechs/collisions/control discontinuities that have been a staple of this game since it's inception with no reason to suspect this will ever improve. No one even mentions it atm, but I'm sure once people are puking in their laps with a rift at least awareness will eventually creep in. I want to be wrong about that, cause otherwise it would be pretty kickass.

#15 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

Cancer... I bet two years after one of these release you see a lawsuit regarding brain cancer, deteriorating vision and severe migraines. This will cause the tech to get buried and unsupported.

If I am wrong, great but with the way the legal system in the US is now a days expect this to happen.

#16 Ghostsuit

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 63 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Best reason is it's currently development kit so it's not even close to release quality. Personally I'll wait and see if it gets better but the reality is that the OC is really only half the unit needed. Yeah touch type is fine but we really need a better input to make it worth while and PS4 might actually be on to something since they already have move sticks etc. Honestly though I think it'll be a long while before this becomes a useful piece of kit worth picking up.

I'd rather spend the money on a kick ass monitor that I'll get more use out of and be generally better over all.

#17 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

Thank you, Loc Nar for pointing out the OR simulator. If it's accurate, then it's just about what I've heard and figured: 1080P is borderline, but once you get to 1440p it's pretty decent. Even 1080p might be tolerable, and moreso than in this, with some decent anti-aliasing.

Edit: a friend of mine confirmed the OR simulator is pretty accurate, although he notes things look a lot better in real games and are easier to resolve, typically, due to anti-aliasing.

Edited by Catamount, 08 June 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#18 squibbfire

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:17 AM

I have a rift and there are several demos and experiences out there worth trying. I recently received a DK2 which is a VAST improvement over the DK1. Text is way easier to read and textures pop! I recently sold my DK1 for almost a hundred dollars MORE then what I paid for, Sure I could have saved it but then I would have risked it dying on me. LOL

But back to your reasons...i dont see any real bad reasons of getting it besides that they are a little tricky to set up for certain demos. But start conflict, technolust, and hawken are already becoming classic In my opinion.

#19 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

My reason for not considering the OR at all?

I don't need it. I need a car, food, etc, but VR I can easily live without. It's just going to be used for FACEBOOK, anyways, and I don't do FACEBOOK either.

#20 SilverlightPony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostIqfish, on 07 June 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Go here:
http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/

Switch OR version/resolution at top-right. For all except DK1, enable the "low-persistence" button.

CV1 is what they're aiming for with the first consumer version.

[EDIT]
Ah, someone else linked it already. *shrug*

Edited by SilverlightPony, 28 October 2014 - 04:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users