46 replies to this topic

#1 Judge Redeemer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:52 AM

This idea revolves around tactical aspect and can be (for start) used exclusively for premade 12 mans (this can be implemented it as an optional add to standard drops, or just reserve it for premade 12 mans as I stated earler).

Since you all know when a team/clan/faction plays 12 man the common thing is to have one person to be Drop Commander and usually he is piloting an Atlas (and since atlas has option of mounting command console there is where I got my idea in the first place) and he is charged for organizing people in lances, overlaying tactics, planning mech movement on map and fighting/tanking damage. Now I'm sure you will agree with me that this is a bit too much for one person alone to do. So I had the idea that when you equip your command console you are enabling one more person to start the game with you in group options he would have special place and would be visually different from the rest of the group. Two reasons for this, he is connected to command console and he isn't piloting a mech. That 13th person would be in charge of commanding all 3 lances in a similar way as we can see in intro of mech commander (for reference you can see this link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MQPWE_M_EM; although I'm convinced that you already know what I'm talking about).

He would start with map overview and possibly 12 small windows (with names above/bellow each) so he can quickly shuffle through pilots and get better idea of what is happening on battlefield via cockpit view. This could allow faster reaction time of players in forming more coherent actions and giving your DC opportunity to see the issue with his own eyes (and not to try to bang his head on desk on other side of map). Also he can by point and click method on map make routs for mechs/lances. Although for this it should need to have lances in three colors to make some diversity, you can use e.g. blue (navy) for single pilot, green for one lance, purple for second and orange for third, these are only suggestion and can be changed in the manner you see them suited. Possible colors or map pointers can be added for UAV, Arty/Air strikes. (see picture below for reference, was quick photoshop play but its visible enough)

Some of this is already outlined in detail in sarna, http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cockpit_Command_Console , and this part " A Command Console is a BattleMech component that can only be added to Heavy or Assault class 'Mechs" can possibly can be reworked to have all of them or at least one variant per chassis, so this way we are getting balanced option and much needed diversity.

Posted Image

As a competitive player I can say that it would be helpful to have one person looking at the map, processing info from scouts and giving order for lances to move. In current game its hard piloting assault, tanking, and DCing all in one. Also I believe this implementation would benefit usage of UAV/Artillery & Air strikes, since now you will have one person who's not worried about taking, damage output, position and so on, and can solely devote himself to information processing. Also this could bring competitive play on new level, giving the game some tactical depth, a bit more interesting approach and one feature that could help people become more organized since after all this is a team based game. And its shame to have item sitting in our inventory without any usable value.

#2 AvatarofWhat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 591 posts
  • LocationAntares

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:38 AM

I like the idea of having a 13th optional player as an actual mechcommander. IMO that person should be able to use an equivalent to the spectator tool with fog of war hiding enemy mechs not currently targeted as well as the battlegrid to relay orders. What I dont agree is that it should be linked to the command console. I'm still convinced the command console should be a prerequiste to putting on artillery modules in your mechs and maybe provide some additional functionality as well such as being able to switch your camera view to a launched UAV so you can get a good perpective on the enemy, even those too far away to be in sensor range from the UAV. It would be insanely awesome to have the option of having a dedicated commander that is not burdened by the additional responsibilty of driving a mech, but at the very least they need to upgrade the whole battlegrid commanding portion of the game, and limit the cheese that is airstrikes and artillery by having it tied to the command console.(it needs some tonnage requirement.)

#3 Rex Budman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 841 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:42 AM

0o0o that looks like fun - would have to be a 14 players match. 12 in battle and two commanders. Its like a game of chess :P

Edited by Rex Budman, 08 June 2014 - 05:43 AM.

#4 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:49 AM

It reminds me of the drop commander from Aliens, where he could see what all of his space marines see.

#5 Judge Redeemer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:52 AM

View PostRex Budman, on 08 June 2014 - 05:42 AM, said:

0o0o that looks like fun - would have to be a 14 players match. 12 in battle and two commanders. Its like a game of chess :P

Well I assumed that CC should be used for something like that :P

#6 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:02 AM

seems a little complicated.

personally id be fine if the CC just stayed as is, but also gave its bonuses to all friendly IS mechs.

#7 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

View PostKhobai, on 08 June 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

personally id be fine if the CC just stayed as is, but also gave its bonuses to all friendly IS mechs.

That actually might be a really good way to do C3.

A C3 master computer grants bonuses to range and projectile speed, which scales based on how close a C3 slave unit is to an an enemy.

#8 Judge Redeemer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

View PostKhobai, on 08 June 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

As I said in feedback topic, they have all elements already ingame, they need couple lines of code to make it all together and thats all the work. This gives it more purpose than those small buffs but thats just my opinion.

#9 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:08 AM

That actually might be a really good way to do C3.

A C3 master computer grants bonuses to range and projectile speed, which scales based on how close a C3 slave unit is to an an enemy.

Well the command console could give a zoom bonus, sensor bonus,and detailed target info speed bonus to all friendly IS mechs on the map.

While the C3 master computer could give range and projectile speed bonuses to lancemates with C3 slaves (C3 slaves should come equipped automatically for free on all IS mechs, but be useless without a C3 master computer, which would require tonnage). The C3 master computer also comes with an integrated TAG laser if I recall.

So clan mechs would have to have individual targeting computers. While IS would rely more on buffing teammates. Makes sense.

Edited by Khobai, 08 June 2014 - 06:12 AM.

#10 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:13 AM

View PostKhobai, on 08 June 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

Well the command console could give a zoom bonus, sensor bonus,and detailed target info speed bonus to all friendly IS mechs on the map.

While the C3 master computer could give range and projectile speed bonuses to lancemates with C3 slaves (C3 slaves should come equipped automatically for free on all IS mechs, but be useless without a C3 master computer, which would require tonnage). The C3 master computer also comes with an integrated TAG laser if I recall.

So clan mechs would have to have individual targeting computers. While IS would rely more on buffing teammates. Makes sense.

We should spam twitter with this idea since they won't look in the suggestions forum.

#11 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:15 AM

We should spam twitter with this idea since they won't look in the suggestions forum.

I thought that too. But then they gave clan mechs burst fire ACs and arcing damage PPCs. And limited gauss to 2. So apparently someone reads the forums :P

#12 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:23 AM

They didn't even manage to implement the simplest option ("buff existing modules") in time for the Clan launch, despite having a two year development runway.

Do you really think there's any chance they will do away with their slapdash ''near enough is good enough'' solution, and create something which would require actual thought and effort?

I'm not even bothering to write down my ideas for CC and TC because I know there is ZERO chance of PGI even bothering to read them, let alone actually coding them.

Edited by Appogee, 08 June 2014 - 06:25 AM.

#13 Judge Redeemer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

Well no...but we need to send them ideas :P

#14 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:36 AM

View PostJudge Redeemer, on 08 June 2014 - 06:25 AM, said:

Why?

They don't listen.

They don't listen because they don't care.

They don't care because they lack the vision, the ambition - and perhaps even ability - to do anything more than the easiest option, every time.

Instead of exploiting the rich IP of the BT universe, imagining and creating a game which truly leverages all the fantastic ideas of the community and the opportunities of a millennial games engine, they just content themselves with creating a lowest common denominator robot FPSer, each incremental feature being more slapdash than the last.

I've spent more than $700 on this game, but all I see now is the squandered opportunity of what it could have been in the hands of people who actually cared enough about it to make it live up to its potential.

Edited by Appogee, 08 June 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#15 Judge Redeemer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

And thats why we need keep making ideas, I made this one when I read their bad idea regarding CC, I'm not saying mine is way better but will help in some diversity and make competition a bit more interesting + as people already said it would be awesome to have drop commander (emphasis is on commander) who doesnt pilot a mech and just oversees the battle.

#16 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

View PostJudge Redeemer, on 08 June 2014 - 06:25 AM, said:

Are you new here? PGI doesn't listen to suggestions from the community. They roll a few dice, consult a magic 8 ball then just wing it.

#17 Judge Redeemer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 08 June 2014 - 06:41 AM, said:

Are you new here? PGI doesn't listen to suggestions from the community. They roll a few dice, consult a magic 8 ball then just wing it.

Been here since open beta so sadly no :P I know they are sitting on their ears but I'm always optimistic and I'm hoping that miracles happen :P

#18 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

Interesting but I think realistically it will be a Target Lock that shows a different color on Lance mates screen allowing to focus fire better by highlighting your current target.

#19 Want0n

• PipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

I like the idea. Its a lot like the commander in Battlefield 2. Would the 13th player have enough to do in drop commanding though? Or could you have them in control of air and arty strikes as well, in some way?

#20 Judge Redeemer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:58 AM

Tnx Ice :D One of my rare ideas that I worked well (imo xD)

This game desperately needs some tactical aspect...and with small effort from Devs we can get that :P (by small I mean at least reading all this :P )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users