Post Your Usable Troll Builds

73 replies to this topic

#21 Ningyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

or this, after all its better to have the lasers be red to match the flamers. And you can hold more heatsinks that way too.

#22 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

I'm sure I can try them all once I get my 4P in a day or two. <_<

#23 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:57 AM

The Shadowlander. A Shadowhawk with the guns from a HGN-733C(C).

#24 Ningyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

I just realized no one is posting assaults, and since there was nothing to kill that Jaggerwocky earlier, I bring you the:

Vorpal Sword Snicker-Snak, Snicker-Snak and another mech is sliced in half. I strongly suggest 2 weapon groups of 3xLPL each chain fired. And don't worry about that arm an leg armor, the black knight didn't need them and neither do you.

#25 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

View PostNingyo, on 11 June 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

TROLLBRAND Jaggermech 2xAC/20 + 2xPPC (Post 17 - Mito) [modified for 10th heatsink]

The Trollbrand should fight the K2 build I noticed someone did on Smurfy's.
Duel of the 65 ton TrollMechs.

#26 Sougard

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

Of course, the ever-reliable Awesomeback (Hunchback with 3PPCs).

#27 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

It never gets much credit, but the FS9-H Nailgun will pin you to the floor. I started using this shortly before the AC/2 firerate nerf- and that nerf only made it more effective. Mostly because it stopped overheating when using the lasers in close combat in tandem with the autocannon.

The thing is surprisingly strong in combat- I'm not sure if it's the cockpit shake, the psychological effect, or the raw surprise factor- but it undeniably works. I can often chew apart something vital on a heavy or assault 'mech on it- I've managed murdering an inattentive Stalker on Alpine Peaks once with the thing, and it regularly pulls in 300-400 damage games. It's at the point where I kept the darn thing, even though I originally created it mostly as an experiment and to give me some variety while I mastered Firestarters.

On an alternate note, the CPLT-C1 Legend Cat has proven astoundingly useful, being the UnCatapult- lots of shots taken by the 'mouse ears', which fall off.... and have no effect whatsoever because it mounts no missiles at all. Essentially an anti-missile-boat. With all that heat dissipation, it never stops moving and shooting either, bounding about the battlefield and pouncing on lights that think it'll be slower than them.

Comes in arm-armor and no-arm-armor variants (with no armor on the arms, you can have an ally trim the ears off with a medium laser just for added fun- confuse people by appearing damaged at the start of a match, or baffle attempts to spot you by having an unusually small visual profile for a catapult.)

#28 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

Also ones that I've ran:
The 'original' Nipplemech
The slightly funnier Janet Jackson Mk.1
The slightly more effective Janet Jackson Mk.2

And of course, straight from PGI: EMBER

#29 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 14 June 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

It never gets much credit, but the FS9-H Nailgun will pin you to the floor. I started using this shortly before the AC/2 firerate nerf- and that nerf only made it more effective. Mostly because it stopped overheating when using the lasers in close combat in tandem with the autocannon.

I run something slightly similar on my FS9-H. Yours is a better knife-fighter, mine is faster.

#30 Ningyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

Reorganized list by tonnage.

Also added a bit for not truly troll builds at the bottom if you think I put yours there unfairly edit your post to tell me why. All those Firestarters for instance though have max armor, over 113 KPH, and decent DPS. Odd an non-optimal yes, but not really a troll build (Stock Ember on the other hand lol nice going PGI)

#31 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

I got tired of 3 UAC/AC5 builds in my Ilya so I wanted to put together some builds to break the monotony but would still make me some coin. I came up with 2 that I enjoy running.

Behold, The Power Ranger:
-ERLL x 3
-AC10 x1
-320 XL

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...12744977e55bddc

This thing goes 81.5 with speed tweak. Gotta stick and move with this mech. The AC10 can be used up close for bigger punch and heat management. You can risk firing all 3 lasers at once if your enemies are pretty far and/or only will be available for a brief moment. But most of the time, it's better to fire the two chest lasers, and wait that split sec before using the arm one. Need to avoid wasting shots on the AC10 and resist the urge to alpha strike moving targets as the the lasers don't need to be led like the AC10.

Good match with this thing in a loss (on Caustic, too): 910 damage, 3 kills
Spoiler

Here's another: The Fake AC40
-AC20 x1
-LPL x2

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b2a6fac6163bf5

Two LPLs give you a hitscan AC20. And, you got a real AC20. LPLs have a short time on target, which makes twisting crucial. You can really ruin a light's day if your aim is good. Very suboptimal but still fun.

Edited by Takashi Uchida, 14 June 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#32 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 13 June 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

LCT-3M
&quot;LURM EATER&quot;
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...edb12bebe59cf99

Tried this out the other day, was great for some good fun. Totally inspired by B33f's video here ()

Basically, get right up on their LRM boat's ass/legs and sit there while your AMS chews their missiles before they even get past 100m (don't shoot the LRM boat or they will notice something funky is up). Tag him for extra fun. Works best in 3rd person view.

Put the capture accel. module on it and you're actually good for something else too!

You didn't try that exact mech out. It only has 7 heat sinks, so it's not legal.

#33 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 14 June 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

I got tired of 3 UAC/AC5 builds in my Ilya so I wanted to put together some builds to break the monotony but would still make me some coin. I came up with 2 that I enjoy running.

Behold, The Power Ranger:
-ERLL x 3
-AC10 x1
-320 XL

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...12744977e55bddc

Have you considered dropping a little speed for jump jets?

#34 Ken Burkhart

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

Mine "troll" probably falls under unique as it isn't fully troll. I post it simply because a medium shouldn't usually be a missile boat, at least not unless it uses short-range ones. Also, this mech variant is much better suited to other things, so I'm kind of not using it to its fullest potential, but it can be pretty fun at times anyway.

I take a Shawk-2D2 with XL300, leave most of the armor except like 15 points or so(to even tonnage). It has DHS and ENDO. 4 LRM5, 1 ERPPC, and a TAG, 2 JJs, and the rest as ammo(like 6 tons I think).

I like this build because I get LRM20, faster firing using LRM5s though and can be chained fired. I get the ERPPC for long range damage and for disabling ECM on the DDCs etc... and the TAG, well you know what that is for. I get my own TAG bonus time and time again with it, from my own missiles!

Of course, I can't let much of anything get close to me, though I have armor, because a single ERPPC isn't much as far as damaging circling lights.

#35 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

6 Flamer locust going 170kph, kills in that are just great

#36 Ningyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

kburkhart84 - yeah not troll at all, if you actually look at the math on missile spread, and fire rate 2xLRM5 is equal to 1xLRM20 if they have no AMS. So your 4xLRM5 is about as effective as 2xLRM20, or 2xALRM15. Also since you are rather quick you won't get as separated from your group as a stalker or such can. If the light has to worry about more mechs you can deal with them easily enough,

#37 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

you can do a modified bugzapper locust if you had speedtweak with a 170XL, ERPPC and single SL.

could add in the LRMCust.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...158f36db9bc75c5

2x LRM5
2 tons ammo
XL170
2 SL (or swap for a single ML)

really requires speed tweak though. I've had plenty of fun with it.

I also REALLY like my AC/5 ember. It is probably my best mech for me. (needs a clever name, Boomber?)
245xl
4 ML
AC/5
3 tons ammo.
again, sort of needs speed tweak though.

Edited by Bigbacon, 15 June 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#38 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

I had a lot of fun and was somewhat effective in a Jager-A with 4 LRM5s, 2 AC2s, Tag, and an XL280 engine. I think had a version with UAC5s as well, but the AC2 version proved to work better.

#39 Errant Variable

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Gauss or AC20 on a RVN-4X is always good for laughs. I don't know why but people seem to ignore 4Xs unless there is absolutely nothing else to shoot at.*

Otherwise, stick a couple LRMs on a brawler and spam away. With the SRM fixes I'm hoping to resurrect http://mwo.smurfy-ne...210cc654ad6b454 and some iteration on http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6705ba0e91afa09 has been almost too seriously effective to call a troll.

*until they realize you've got a big gun in a slow light... then you're primary.

#40 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

Credit to SniperCzar for the Devastjager - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f65f97d02fb7fb3

My Uber-Metajager - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6ad84042cb69765
I ran it only a few games but surprisingly survived most of them and with about 400 dmg. Just use it as an alpha sniper not a dps machine.
UBERBOOMSTICK - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6a0e4a8386c00cb
Not so effective with ghost heat around but it was super fun in early open beta.
BLUELIGHTNINGRAVEN - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...702d356f51234a6
Not at all effective after ghost heat but was a fun joke build.
OLDMETAHUNCH - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...df5ef3af461e975
Actually still effective.

I actually have an entire list of old builds i tried but its a bit too long for here.

Edited by POOTYTANGASAUR, 15 June 2014 - 03:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users