- - - - -

Ask Jager #1 - Answered

27 replies to this topic

#1 JagerXII

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:12 AM

Thanks again to everyone who came out to watch live, to all the MechWarriors who asked questions, to the supporters, and to the moderators who kept the thread clean. As promised here are the answers!

Feel free to discuss the videos in this thread.

Original Twitch recordings.

Part 1 - Weapon Balance/ Metagame/ Maps

Part 2 - Game Mechanics

Part 3 - Game Advice/ Mech Builds

Part 4 - Response to Critics/ Tactics/ Competitive Gameplay

Part 5 - Clan Predicitons/ Out Of Game

Part 6 - Questions From The Audience

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:16 AM

You do seem to be a guy who is very knowledgeable without being a snob about it. I was entertained the whole time, not just during my questions regarding LRMs.

Here is something I'd like to ask regarding your statement to watch and emulate the top tier players in video #3. Which players do you personally recommend watching, if you know them?

Finally, if you are able to test the Clan mechs in the PBE, videos of it and commentary would be awesome.

Edited by El Bandito, 12 June 2014 - 03:25 AM.

#3 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:38 AM

JagerXII, please do not create several threads for the same topic.

Instead update your opening post and maybe the title in the original thread. If you do not know how, you can send me a PM and I'll explain it to you.

Closing!

Strike that... moving to Fan Creation!

Edited by Egomane, 12 June 2014 - 04:40 AM.

#4 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:47 AM

Excellent videos, good that you ignore the haters and just focus on the important stuff thats actually useful to know. I'm still new so haven't joined a group yet but stuff like this really helps to approach that point of self confidence quicker.

To the metahaters: It is only because of competitive players pushing games to the very limits that balance problems can be clearly defined in the first place, without players like Jager the game wouldn't even be possible to balance because PGI wouldn't have any proper metagame to analyze, only silly complaints about LRMs. Be happy that there is a competitive scene making the game balance possible to improve.

I have been part of the competitive tier of other games, it is always the same kind of attitude split between competitive and casual players. In the end it is the competitive crowd in cooperation with modders(for moddable games)/producers of fan made content that are actually working with the developers to improve the game. You can't expect to be listened to and have your opinions taken very seriously until you have proved yourself either as a top player or by doing community work, this is harsh but the signal to noise ratio of casual players makes it necessary.

That is not to say the devs can't be generally nice and responsive, and PGI isn't doing so well on that area as far as I can see. But if the game proceeds past the current contextless deathmatches I hope to one day be good enough to help drive its development.

That was a little OT but what i had on my mind. Great videos Jager, hope to see more of them.

#5 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:55 AM

Awesome work Jager, spread the knowledge.

#6 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:57 AM

Nice presentation. The slides were a great idea. Thanks for doing this.

#7 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:58 AM

Nice. I'm still not convinced Lights are completely done for, you can't operate independantly with them though unlike IS mechs. It will take time to get used to. The fact that they can run Full armor and 8-12 SSRM tubes with small lasers to ward off harassment or things like 30 LRM tubes with decent ammo makes them ideal for firesupport roles.

You really need to watch out for mediums and heavies though as they will eat you for breakfast.

Edit: Still good Q&A

Edited by MisterPlanetarian, 12 June 2014 - 05:01 AM.

#8 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:09 AM

Need a text recap stat.

#9 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:18 AM

Sorry I missed the stream, I was called into work for a night shift :wub:

Great advice, helpful stream! I'm really glad that you're using your experience in MWO and as a skilled comp player to help other players rather than just killing them :P

#10 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

View PostFlyby215, on 12 June 2014 - 07:18 AM, said:

I'm really glad that you're using your experience in MWO and as a skilled comp player to help other players rather than just killing them :P

Oh, do not worry, he is doing a lot of the latter as well. :wub:

#11 Darcc

Rookie

• The Spider's Web
  • The Spider
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

Great stream last nite Jager. I took away some very useful tips.
Thanks again

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

Excellent stuff.

I just want to highlight to new/less experienced players one thing: JagerXII reflects something I've observed talking to a lot of good players: Nobody wants a one-trick game. All the top players use the "loathed meta" because it's what works best, but none (or very few) of them want it to stay this one-dimensional. There's a misconception that highly competitive sorts don't want a multi-faceted game and nothing could be farther from the truth. There's a lot of good insight here as to why it is what it is and some things that could be done to change it, all presented thoughtfully and clearly. Thumbs way up.

#13 Sodapop

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

Thank you for doing this, jaeger. For newbies like me this is a BIG help; food for thought. Appreciate your time and advice ;)

#14 GunnyKintaro 01

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

thank you !

#15 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

View PostGM Reppu, on 12 June 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

This is awesome JagerXII, thanks!

I'm moving this to the new player help section and pinning it. An experienced player responding to various questions from other players is, in my eyes, an interesting avenue for new players to learn new tricks.

The gods praise you! :)

#16 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for doing this, Jager. It's a good format for pulling together a lot of the information about playing the game well. If you're going to keep doing this, it'd be nice to see some tutorials on mech tactics and strategies for different maps. Something along the lines of what Koreanese used to do would be great.

My one criticism is about your response to critics. I don't think the issue is that competitive players run metamechs. You'd probably be the best players with whatever the meta is or even frankenbuilds. I also recognize that competitive teams need to practice. I think the problem is that practicing in PUGs with a 4-man premade on voice comms against random, uncoordinated PUGs creates a toxic environment. Sure, the flaw lies with PGI's matchmaking and you're just making the best advantage of it for yourself. But that play borders on trolling and I'm not sure what satisfaction there is in rolling opponents who can't put up much of a fight like that.

It seems like if you want to drop that way with the current system, then private matches are the way to do it.

Edited by Mizeur, 13 June 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#17 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Well well Jager, sure came far since the old Dark Sabres age lol! Awesome man :huh:

Good advice too, helps when your coming back from a few months break.

#18 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the effort.
I have only seen Part 5 so far and have to look through the others when I have time.
Speaking of Part 5 - Clan Predictions/Out of Game
15:50, there is a brief period where Jager's response freezes then skips over part of what he said.
Based on one response he gave, I started this topic.

#19 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:31 AM

Just finished catching up with the answer videos.

Jager you did an excellent job. This is a great way to contribute to the MWO community, and make the MWO forums a better place for discussion.

Thank you for doing this.

PS.
Your response to the more critical comments was well done. Keeping it classy always wins.

Edited by Dirus Nigh, 17 June 2014 - 12:33 AM.

#20 RapidFire7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 412 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

Great videos JagerXII! Hope to see more of them

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users