27 replies to this topic

#21 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

This is what I thought of when I was watching the video.

Edited by Ursh, 05 July 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#22 Sp4rtan

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

thanks for sharing the knowledge man good work!

#23 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

new players should all watch this.. very informative. Hopefully PGI will get around to bringing back brawling a bit more, at higher end play, though at lower ELO it seems viable

#24 Mechjonnie

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 11 July 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

new players should all watch this.. very informative. Hopefully PGI will get around to bringing back brawling a bit more, at higher end play, though at lower ELO it seems viable

I am brand spanking new here and I agree with you - This fills me in on much of the current state of the game.
Thanks for posting these vids!

Yet...being brand new to "this" community & not wishing to make any waves - regardless - I cannot avoid STRONGLY disagreeing with statements made in video 1.

This is a MechWarrior game. There is no "Current Meta".
This has been THE Meta since...Forever.

What I am not new to is the series. I have been playing MechWarrior "Online" as well as Offline since 1997.
The "Metas":
(granted the MW2,3 and 4 + mercs had Omnipoints galore..)

MW2 - Meta: UAC20 Boats or LRM20,15,10

MW3 - (Most FPS of all the MW titles and least "Mechy") - UAC20/10's gunslinger duels or MadCat/Catapualt LRM Boats or ShadowCat / Bushwacker SSRM Boats with ridiculous speed and the insane JJ mechanics that game had...

MW4/Mercs - ERPPC/CGauss "Pop goes the weasel" standoffs MadCat MKII or Missle boats of all varieties or ...The famous 5 ERLL NovaCat's that plagued the game with the predominant game servers supplying "NO HEAT" and being populated by the majority.

I bolded the part of your post where you said "Hopefully PGI will get around to bringing back brawling a bit more "
Frankly - That was always my hope throughout my entire experience with MW4/M.
Yet: The game DEVOLVED into standoff city. The first to break from "cover/concealment" be it a single mech or team was invariably the one who would lose.
I never understood how anyone could stomach playing that way. I am also not surprised that this game has taken its next "big" step in that direction.
It's an inevitability with this series it seems.
It may in fact be the "best" way to play or the "smartest" but it sure is incredibly and undoubtedly the most boring.

When MW4 launched - Splash damage ON(proximity to a core-gone-crit[dead] Mech which I am surprised this game lacks), Heat ON, Limited Ammo ON - I ranked #1 in the world for nearly 6 months in Destruction mode(FFA) as a Brawler..[after losing cpu and playing casually at the sufference of a friend and his handy cpu]and maintained a top 10 for a time after my crash.
When I came back to it - The curse of the standoff meta was the only way to play.
It didn't keep my interest very long and the private server/community was WAY too Role Play for me.

So I am not surprised it's become the "thing" yet again - but I assure you: In no way, shape or form is it NEW or Unique to this particular incarnation of the series. Again - It was an Inevitability.

There will NEVER be a way to balance it without totally nerfing or gimping LRMs &/or Gauss.
Only adaptability through teamplay, maps with advantageous short(er) range play and an aggressive playstyle can break it.
Tactics can overcome it but facing it feels like you're landing on the beaches of Normandy....

Just a few things I was surprised to see as a returning MW:
1. PPC only had a recycle of 4 seconds!!? I agree with any decision to increase it to its old standard of 8. Any higher will potentially break it. Heat to recycle ratio at 6-8 ought to balance it.

2. Clan UAC20/LBX20 - 8 and 9 SLOTS!!? What? No wonder brawling is underwhelming.... no more UAC/LBX boats :D. Just why 8 and 9 respectively? Also - LBX has a 4 recycle? Is that why it's penalized with an absurd 9 slots?
**Just checked the smurfy site and saw standard AC20 is 10 slots!!!** Gods...

3. Gauss - Recylce of 4? Even with it taking 1 or so seconds to fire still seems very low. Raise that to a 6 with the delay and you're golden.

Just the above 3 points alone encourage the "current meta" and strongly discourage Brawling.
Until, that is, everyone runs out of ammo and closes in for a ML & MG Deathmatch. Talk about anticlimactic.

Anyway ... Yea I'm new here. Hi! Played 2 games and all at the time of writing this so ofc I'm an expert etc.. I pointed it out so nobody will have to.
Frankly the only thing diff about this particular game is the MicroT model and the weird recycle and slot requirements for certain items. Some numbers seem to have been tweaked as far as heat goes..but all in all - It's another MW game.

As excited as I was to see this game in devlopment I avoided playing it because 1. I despise F2P MicroT(but respect they need to make $$$ somehow) and 2. I knew I'd fall BACK in love with MW and ...likely....spend real $$$ on it :/.

After all what's a pilot to do without his DireWolf!!?!?!?!

Anyway - Hi to the community and those of you who post such informative content that I've read instead of playing these last 4-5 hours and expect to dedicate much more time to devouring. Cheers to the OP for outlining everything so well. Thanks to the devs for keeping the series ALIVE!

Peace.
MJ

#25 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for this Jager, looking forward to #2 now!

#26 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

Nice, good job Jaeger.

#27 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

"pinned"... go figure.

#28 Agelmar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:50 PM

If you want real time Q/A opportunities and HELP understanding the subtle things that top tier players do...

JagerXII and Odwalla (Sebnitu) spend a substantial amount of their time in game streaming on both NGNGtv and their own channels. Both interact with viewers through Q/As and group drops with viewers. They provide a fun and laid back setting for viewers to learn, interact with the “competitive community,” and understand the subtle things that make them successful.

Since I started watching and playing with Jager on his stream my KDR has went from the sub 1's to just over 3 now, and a good portion of that was without any clan mechs. I do not think I would have been able to finish 16th in the worthy adversary's 2 challenge on clan lights without some of the stuff I learned from playing with Jager and other SJR members on meat-shield Mondays. -TKSax

The streams are not hotbeds of elitism, a place to be preached at with competitive mindsets or ideology, but to ask questions and to improve your personal skill at MWO.

The competitive mindset is usually an ugly one. Stealing kills for tournament points, exploiting the broken animation on the Ttimberwolf jump jets, etc etc.
Yet on Odwalla's channel, Seb does all this while being an overall nice guy. He is a kickass player, with a good brain, just being a nice guy and enjoying the company of the viewers while killing the masses :-) He also knows most of the community and they know him, and it seems he is both liked and respected. Which I think makes him a good face for the competitive scene of MWO. He is accessible, open to chat and play with his viewers, which is a nice touch. I think this is why I prefer his streams over all the other ones available on twitch. -BattleBunny

The streams are a great opportunity to help make the step from casual to competitive.

I started watching Jager's stream about a month after I first started playing the game. By that point, I had the basic mechanics of MWO down, but noticed that there were some notable players that consistently outperformed others, and Jager was one of those players. I started watching his stream to see what he was doing that I wasn't; targeting specific parts of mechs to disable them, learning to use cover and torso twisting defensively to minimize damage, but also learning when it was time to push by having awareness of each team's position and what state they were in. MWO is a lot more involved than pointing and shooting, and streams like Jager taught about the less obvious ways to improve your game after you have an understanding of the basics. –thelegaldept

I found out about JagerXII's stream on an NGNGtv podcast a few months into playing MWO. I started picking up on a lot of really good advice on positioning, shooting, shielding and general tactics. JagerXII was also very good about answering questions in chat and I learned a lot about what Mechs and load outs were good and why. It was also really helpful when he pulled viewers into his drops where I could see all this first hand and learn from it. JagerXII's stream was my number one resource for getting better at MWO and breaking into the competitive scene. - Odwalla

The streams can even improve your physical health, age, and overall attractiveness.

Before I watched Jager's stream, I was still an 8 year old boy and was scared of my shadow. Now I am a thirty year old man with a 6-pack and beautiful hair. -GMan129

Join Jager, Odwalla, and a cast of other personalities from MWO's competitive and casual scenes and improve your game!

Follow JagerXII on Twitch.tv

Sunday on NGNGtv
Starting at 11:00PM Eastern
Monday - Thursday
Starting at 11:00PM Eastern

Follow Odwalla on Twitch.tv

Monday-Friday
6:00PM to 8:00PM Eastern
Saturday - Sunday
12:00AM to 3:00AM Eastern

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users