13 replies to this topic

#1 Mustang

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 125 posts
  • LocationMargaritaville , Al

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

Im not a big Forums warrior I read through occasionally and mostly here in the Davion threads. Ive made a few post in the past and in them I've brought up history , history of Davion and history of a particular unit and how things became the way they are now. A few responses were of the "Thank you for the history lesson but who cares" variety. But as I read through the forums I see these same folks use history in their recruitment pitch's. So I guess my question is this , is history only relevant when it suits the purpose or should history be factored in always? I've played this game in one form or the other since BT:Solaris on gamestorn and AOL I think im pretty well known within House Davion and to a few of our enemies too . So if you know the true History and you honor it then honor it ALL , and if you don't and you want to know ask many of us old guys we love sharing the battles we have fought and good times we have had , the friendships and the Family bonds we have formed that last and make HISTORY . Remember this " Those who choose to forget history are doomed to repeat its mistakes"

#2 Grayson Sortek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 371 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 13 June 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

Obviously you people never realized what happens when you cast out and destroy a working government from ancient history- You get chaos, which has now plagued the Inner Sphere far worse than the Clans in terms of numbers lost.

You say remember the past, which was- We overthrew a government and went to turmoil (Rome early AD) and then we go ahead and do it again cause we learned nothing. That is how it works in the Inner Sphere, nothing is in sink, no one is helping each other, your leaders make Richard Cameron look like a genius, and then you go out and massacre anything in your path (I would give you all my references but I don't have time right now do to prior engagements with ACT study).
I don't think the Inner Sphere learns anything from any war.

You put Hanse Davion in power and his philosophy was: EXTERMINATE THE LIAOS.
Put Katherine in power (Lyrans though) and Civil War.
Got in the Clan Wars and annihilated SJ then came back disbanded the Star League that helped unite you.
WoB need I say more.
War with the Dracs before, during, and after the Clan Invasion (seriously you never stopped).
Fidelis were given sanctuary (you know those SJ guys who tried killing you, under the name CLAN SMOKE JAGUAR).
Kentaries IV Massacre
Carvor V POW Massacre
Plus 250 years of constant never ending war before Operation Revival.

Tell me what did you guys learn from History? You are preparing to go to war with the Clans again, but this time there is a very real chance we can win this war. If I were you I think its about time allegiances started cause if you swore in Clan Wolf as an ally, we could do major damage to the Liaos if we get through the Lyrans (which you could help with).

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Are you saying that the Kentares Massacre was the fault of House Davion? I am pretty sure there was a Kurita responsible for that one...

I am also pretty sure that a certain Marshal of the Armies (Jackson Davion) gave his life defending the innocent from the madness that was the Jihad.

As far as learning from our history? Victor Steiner-Davion joined with Devlin Stone to help found the Republic of the Sphere!
Harrison Davion and Julian Davion also supported the vision of Devlin Stone for a unified humanity.

Why are we fighting the clans? That is because of the Crusader clans attempting to conquer that which they do not rightfully possess claim to. You became no better than the Jade Falcons when you became a Crusader clan. Let that sink in wolf.

As for you dezgra; I am fairly certain that clanners do not use contractions, Quiaff?

#3 The Gruntmaster 6000

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationPraying

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

Well Neutral Party here

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Are you saying that the Kentares Massacre was the fault of House Davion? I am pretty sure there was a Kurita responsible for that one...

I believe he was referring to the 2nd one that was the fault of both Davion and Steiner (the Commonwealth).

As far as learning from our history? Victor Steiner-Davion joined with Devlin Stone to help found the Republic of the Sphere!
Harrison Davion and Julian Davion also supported the vision of Devlin Stone for a unified humanity.

And Devlin Stone turned out to be the one who caused the HPG Blackout and the Dark Age Crisis. The Republic also ended up being one of the most unstable factions and was half destroyed. Big accomplishment. Also you do realize that WoB's goal was a unified Humanity... Does that make them good guys now? Devlin Stone was dirty and it was a mistake to trust him (even though he wiped out the WoB) because he was just furthering it to his own goals. He went into Stasis and destroyed the uplink.... Bad Guy and if the Davions had any part in supporting him they are also guilty by association.

Why are we fighting the clans? That is because of the Crusader clans attempting to conquer that which they do not rightfully possess claim to. You became no better than the Jade Falcons when you became a Crusader clan. Let that sink in wolf.

Then they became Warden again and reformed with the other Wolves in Exile. And they were only Crusader for 1 Khan vs their whole history. Where as you guys couldn't decide what you were and kept uniting and then murdering your Lyran brothers for centuries (this also goes vice versa for the Lyrans).

One thing Wolf did though mr Davion person from the internet, was: Clan Wolf attempted to halt the invasion by stalling the other Clans and helped to do that by "Negotiating" for planets thus out preforming all the Crusaders and then they all focused on Clan Wolf on Tukayyid instead of their targets allowing you to swomp them. Clan Wolf was the only winner of their targets and is also indirectly responsible for helping end Operation Revival.

As for you dezgra; I am fairly certain that clanners do not use contractions, Quiaff?

Actually it is common for people of Clan Wolf. They are known for their "lack of formality" as the other Clans put it seldom even using the Sir and Mam titles when talking to superior officers.

I believe that Clan Wolf had good intentions but both the Inner Sphere and the Clans are known for missing a lot. Also you forget Marack may not be with the Reborn Wolf that was created by Vlad Ward after the Refusal War between CJF and CW. There became 2 Clan Wolves and one was Warden and one was a mix. They eventually (as I said above) join to Wardens again.

Also just because you are Crusader doesn't mean you are evil. Clan Ghost Bear EVENTUALLY joins with the FRL to form the Rasalhague Dominion which is a perfect blend of the Clans and Inner Sphere and Clan Ghost Bear was Crusader but yet had a concept of family also. Don't stereotype all Clans based on Clan Smoke Jaguar and Jade Falcon. You forget there are 16 others at that time.

Edit- I have found that all of you make points here and that in reality none of the Inner Sphere OR Clans have made any real progress towards a Unified Humanity or Kerensky's Dream (which even some Inner Sphere believe in).

Edited by The Advisor, 20 August 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#4 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

View PostMustang, on 13 June 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:

I've played this game in one form or the other since BT:Solaris on gamestorn and AOL I think im pretty well known within House Davion and to a few of our enemies too . So if you know the true History and you honor it then honor it ALL , and if you don't and you want to know ask many of us old guys we love sharing the battles we have fought and good times we have had , the friendships and the Family bonds we have formed that last and make HISTORY . Remember this " Those who choose to forget history are doomed to repeat its mistakes"

I don't know who you are. Are you good at MWO?

Tomorrow is tomorrow. Future cares have future cures, and we must mind today". Sophocles, from Antigone

#5 LordRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 422 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 21 August 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Tomorrow is tomorrow. Future cares have future cures, and we must mind today". Sophocles, from Antigone

You may not know him, but plenty of us do /grins

#6 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:33 PM

View PostLordRush, on 22 August 2014 - 07:34 AM, said:

You may not know him, but plenty of us do /grins

Yes we do /grins

#7 Tankno

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

The History of our house affects how we fight with fellow houses and they fight with us. Sometimes I enjoy listening to some of the older sourcebooks when in combat. Our history is rich amd filled with strife and progression. The honor we have now is living in the conflict that shapped all the inner sphere.

#8 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostMustang, on 13 June 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:

Im not a big Forums warrior I read through occasionally and mostly here in the Davion threads. Ive made a few post in the past and in them I've brought up history , history of Davion and history of a particular unit and how things became the way they are now. A few responses were of the "Thank you for the history lesson but who cares" variety. But as I read through the forums I see these same folks use history in their recruitment pitch's. So I guess my question is this , is history only relevant when it suits the purpose or should history be factored in always?

So if you know the true History and you honor it then honor it ALL....

It is good to see this thread pop back up. Hopefully more players who are being introduced to Battletech through Mechwarrior Online will get into the lore and learn more then just how to battle in mechs. Each house has rich history and lore.

Of course, every army needs cannon fodder, so if you are a new recruit reading this; congrats on being a cut above the rest!

#9 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 25 October 2014 - 03:19 PM, said:

Problem with the Lore is that, in Community Warfare... it will kind of be pointless. Only main main main story points will happen in game so that most of the original lore is going to be void.

I would not expect Mechwarrior Online to go deep into lore, it is a simulator and shooter not an MMORPG. Players who want nothing more then blasting mechs in MWO will probably never find these posts. Players who have no knowledge of Mechwarrior other than MWO may not even know of the wealth of material from Battletech tabletop, RPG, cards, novels etc.

There is a lot more to Davion ( and the other factions ) than a name and a symbol. This thread is an opportunity for the players who want to know more. Catalyst Game Labs ( http://bg.battletech...the-board-game/ ) and Sarna ( www.sarna.net ) have a good deal of free background material. Or the player can ask a question in this forum.

Whether or not the coming invasion follows the "historical" path, the history of House Davion ( and the other Houses and the Clans) up to 3050 will not be changed. All background sources are valid up to the invasion date.

#10 Mustang

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 125 posts
  • LocationMargaritaville , Al

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

Then its our job to educate them

#11 BobBagels {ScorpS}

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 72 posts
  • LocationJoisey

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

View Post3rdworld, on 21 August 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Heh, Now that woke me up :ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users