78 replies to this topic

#1 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

I'm not here to complain about Clan mechs being OP or anything like that. I just knew that when they were released it would completely throw the balance of MWO out of whack (and seeing the gameplay footage from yesterdays test just reinforce that notion) for a minimum of 2-3 weeks, if not 2-3 months. I suspected this would be the case for months now.

Once the Clans hit, I will likely force myself to take a break from MWO until all the dust settles. I'll probably play for a few days after the Clan launch to reaffirm what I've seen from the tests, but if the results are similar, I will not be in-game for a while until PGI brings things back into balance again.

Clan mechs aren't nearly as OP as I was afraid they could have been. However, they still easily trump their IS counterparts with ease. I've heard the argument that games might still be balanced, because there should be close to equal numbers of clan mechs on each side, so it all balanced out. This might be true in many cases, but they have still divided the player community into two groups; the haves and the have-nots. And the have-nots get to be the second line, the B Team, the reserves. Their equipment simply can't compete with the Clan tech.

I feel PGI is aware of this and will strive to fix this and return balance to the force game, but I know it won't be immediate or instantaneous. It will take weeks or months and be a slow process. Also, since C-Bill clan mechs are coming out at a snails pace, those of us who don't want to "pay2play" (for a variety of reasons ranging from being poor to not wanting to support PGI after many setbacks) will have to wait a long time before we can join a match and not feel like a liability to our team.

So, I will be playing June 17th and maybe even the remainder of that week. However, if the balance feels too out of whack between IS and Clan, I'll probably just take a hiatus until things balance out a bit, or until I can buy some of the Clan mechs I want with C-Bills.

I'm curious if any of you are planning to do something similar? It feels like a large number of people pre-ordered a Clan pack in some form or another.

#2 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

Well if nothing else, I would assume PGI will make Clan mechs available as trial mechs fairly soon, if not right away after launch. They haven't said anything about it, but it's practically a given because A: It helps them sell the product, and B: They have done about everything else in their power with the Clans to avoid this turning into a "Have vs. Have Not" situation like you are describing.

Also, IS mechs with good builds and pilots can still do well from what I saw yesterday.

Edited by Pygar, 13 June 2014 - 08:49 AM.

#3 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

you draw conclusion based on video's?
why did you not check it first hand yesterday?.

and no clans might look very powerful they have limits, build limits
this is just fear of the unknown what i read here.

Edited by Abisha, 13 June 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#4 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

View PostAbisha, on 13 June 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

why did you not check it first hand yersterday?.

No, I have a job, so I wasn't on yesterday. And if you'll read my post (I'm not sure you read past the title), I said I plan to play a bit once they're released to reaffirm my impressions. I'm not flying off the handle blindly or anything. I might very well prove myself wrong on Tuesday night. But I'll be VERY surprised if I am.

#5 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Don't go changing your meta yet.... When CW roles around Factions will play a role in your meta.

#6 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostBelorion, on 13 June 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

Don't go changing your meta yet.... When CW roles around Factions will play a role in your meta.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The only "meta" mech I've used in the last 6 months is the 2xAC2 2xAC5 Jagger, and that hasn't been touched in about a month. I used mixed builds because I'm a cool kid and don't follow the other meta sheep.

#7 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

Sounds like a mature response to me. Better to take a break than get yourself all hot and bothered over something so insignificant as a game. I wish I could remember to do that some nights, honestly.

#8 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

in the 2 matches I had a chance to play I didn't notice any IS mechs shooting at me it always seemed to be a combo of Summoners and Warhawks that spear headed both charges on my position. team work, Clan mechs equal win, win...

#9 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

I played a bunch of games in my IS mechs on the test server yesterday, and I thought it was pretty well balanced. I put up the same average numbers in my Jenner as I normally would have, so I don't think it'll be too bad.

#10 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

So, instead of testing for yourself in the 12 hr timeframe allocated, you saw a fdew videos or streams and came to the conclusion that they`re OP. Despite the winning team more often than not being the side with more IS mechs on it.

I have a job, too, 12 hours a day, with a hour of transit each way, and I still mkanaged to test AND sleep AND wake up earl y and work again today. "I have a job" is usually a cop out reason with little actual substance, it usually is used to "justify" laziness or a lack of actual interest.

Either way, you then decided to write up a bigass post about how OP they "are" and implications of how PGI dropped the ball despite you holding their hand every step of the way (because, as armchair quarterbacks, we always know everything better). You then go on to cite a few pseudo-reasons, like the "Snails pace" of cbill release (which is significantly faster than the Phoenix release was, 2 mechs more in 3 weeks less) or the supposed "splitting "of the community into haves and have.nots.. Hyperbole much?.

And then you further devolve into what essentially amounts to "fix it the way I want even though I personally don`t have a clue of what I want yet because I only have second hand information, because it`s clearly P2W as soon as the clans are released until all of them are here. I`ll take a break until then so that you know exactly WHAT I want by reading my mind since I won`t be actively contributing"

While you stated that you are "Planning" on playing to reaffirm your suspicions, the phrasing of that statement together with the rest of your post already strongly implies that your opinion is already set in stone and that it won`t make any difference.

TL, DR: Can I have your stuff when you leave for good after them not fixing everything just so that your video watching experience is perfect every time? Becasue if you`re already making this much of a mountain out of it, you probably won`t be around when teh game is no longer P2W in your opinion, either. B)

Either that or just admit that despite your job you can`t afford a clan pack in these last few days due to mismanagement of funds and are posting this out of pure jealousy because "the Boogeymen are coming". :D

I mean no disrespect to you, but that is, as far as connotation and overally impression go, exactly what you posted, whether you realize it or not.

Edited by Zerberus, 13 June 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#11 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

View Posttucsonspeed6, on 13 June 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

Sounds like a mature response to me. Better to take a break than get yourself all hot and bothered over something so insignificant as a game. I wish I could remember to do that some nights, honestly.

Sometimes i slip ingame. The poor balance is the main reason. Going to get a break aswell.

#12 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

Also it confuses me that people actually spend money for clan mechs while the game is broken. It really does not make sense and it encourages PGI 'bad baviour'.

#13 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

Zerberus...What the hell are you talking about? Calm down bro.

Also,

I mean no disrespect to you, but that is, as far as connotation and overally impression go, exactly what you posted, whether you realize it or not.

Don't worry, I could tell from your completely calm and collected rant message that you meant no disrespect at all. I'm sure this is how you talk to everyone you know. It must be nice to be able to add a sentence at the end of a long insulting rant message you write to make yourself feel like you're not being an jerk.

Edited by ShadowVFX, 13 June 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#14 elismallz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

View PostAbisha, on 13 June 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

why did you not check it first hand yesterday?.

Because it's more dramatic this way.

#15 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostShadowVFX, on 13 June 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

Zerberus...What the hell are you talking about? Calm down bro.

Also,

Don't worry, I could tell from your completely calm and collected rant message that you meant no disrespect at all. I'm sure this is how you talk to everyone you know. It must be nice to be able to add a sentence at the end of a long insulting rant message you write to make yourself feel like you're not being an jerk.

I`m actually very open about being a jerk, here AND in real life, and I do in fact regularly tell people exactly what I think of their BS in RL. I just don`t have to lie to myself and everyone else and play drama queen to make me feel better about it, and I dont try to insult people when I run out of arguments. Especially when it`S just some random wad of pixels on the internet talking out his ass.. :D

You however apparently expect us to take your (mostly fallacious) statements at face value, yet refuse to afford us the same courtesy when they are properly analyzed at that face value ... what does that tell everyone about you? Especially since you openly admit to not having a clue what I`m talking about, but think that being passive aggressive and attempting lowball insults is a prudent default course of action. B)

TL;DR: I called you on your BS, and instead of a rational rebuttal you act like a child that`s just dropped its icecream on teh floor.... so why should anyone take you seriously, much less a rational adult?

Edited by Zerberus, 13 June 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#16 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

Actually based on the positive reviews, I am thinking about buy a clan pack, even though as a blueblood IS mercenary, I abhor the filthy clanners, I'll just write up a backstory about how I won it from an ilkahn in a poker game, because lore... (amiright PGI)

#17 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

So, I will be playing June 17th and maybe even the remainder of that week. However, if the balance feels too out of whack between IS and Clan, I'll probably just take a hiatus until things balance out a bit, or until I can buy some of the Clan mechs I want with C-Bills.

So you're not actually taking a break unless [condition]. That is not how you titled the thread :D

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 13 June 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#18 Randodan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

I haven't had a chance to test my Clan 'Mechs yet (bought them too late for the public test), but my trusty ol Banshee didn't have too many issues with Clan 'Mechs being too OP.

Tactics will develop over time, I am sure, to have awesome IS vs Clan matches, so please don't cry for Clan nerfs too soon, too loudly.

#19 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

View PostShadowVFX, on 13 June 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

I'm curious if any of you are planning to do something similar? It feels like a large number of people pre-ordered a Clan pack in some form or another.

I played yesterday 3 hours, and I'm still insecure about buying a Clanmechs of taking a leave.

Clanmechs are definitely better than IS Mechs. Not because the weapons are better, the reason is an other:
Clanmechs can take more damage², can mount more weapons and more heatsinks.
During the first matches of yesterday's test most Clanmechs were in stock config. Many players overheated quickly and went shutdown.
Then the first optimized builds appeared (Dashi with 4x U AC 10, ect...) and shutdowns became less common.

IMHO it will be necessary in the future to run a Clanmech if you want to play competitive, and I not sure if PGI deserves my money.

The first thing:
By PGIs official specs my computer (Phenom II X4 965, AMD R9 280) is good enough to run MWO on high settings. But ingame I (and others) have to face low fps and lags.
Why should I put real money in a Game what runs laggy, if I could play other games like BF4 without lag and low fps ?

A second point:
MWO is almost 2 years old. During this 2 years PGI wasn't able to give the players faction any effect or importance.
Houselogos on Mechs ? Nope, no Steiner Fist on my Mech.
Housecolors for Mechs ? Nope, the blue on my Mech was payed with C-Bills
A ranking for players, ordered by houses ? Nope, not in MWO
Players Guilds / Houseunits / Mercunits with own Logos ? Not in MWO
Honestly, if PGI isn't able to create such small things, what can we except from community warfare ?

And at last:
PGI told us that MWO is a game with focus on teamplay and different roles a player can choose.
But it isn't. The only roles left are Poptart, DakaDaka, ECM Sniper or (if you have an buddy with TAG) LRM Boat.
Yeah, it's possible to fight as team if everyone in the group is on the same Teamspeak / Ventrillo Server... but that kind of teamplay is possible in any other game.
If you don't drop with 3 or 11 Buddys MWO doesn't give you any tools to communicate or coordinate with the other players in your team.

The only reason to buy a Clan Mech Package would be the fun I could have if I drop with 3 other players.
We create an effective Lance, we are connected by TS, and we smash the enemy who isn't able to communicate and is forced to fight without coordination.
It's fun for us, but not for the players on the other side.

²look mommy, I'm a XL-Engine Zombimech ! No arms, no side torsi and still runnig around... :D

#20 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

View PostZerberus, on 13 June 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

I`m actually very open about being a jerk, here AND in real life, and I do in fact regularly tell people exactly what I think of their BS in RL. I just don`t have to lie to myself and everyone else and play drama queen to make me feel better about it, and I dont try to insult people when I run out of arguments. Especially when it`S just some random wad of pixels on the internet talking out his ass.. :D

You however apparently expect us to take your (mostly fallacious) statements at face value, yet refuse to afford us the same courtesy when they are properly analyzed at that face value ... what does that tell everyone about you? Especially since you openly admit to not having a clue what I`m talking about, but think that being passive aggressive and attempting lowball insults is a prudent default course of action. B)

TL;DR: I called you on your BS, and instead of a rational rebuttal you act like a child that`s just dropped its icecream on teh floor.... so why should anyone take you seriously, much less a rational adult?

Are you seriously getting butt hurt about how someone plays a video game and forms an opinion about it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users