#101 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:39 AM

I wasn't originally going to get a golden Mech but I've been so impressed at what the Clans brought to the game that I changed my mind. They've earned the cash in my eyes.

And last I checked lights were there to support the heavier machines which our lights do brilliantly. They're tough enough to take damage from a heavier classes and have enough fire power to tackle a larger target with relative ease. Much love to all the Adder and Kit Fox pilots out there who do the right thing by the heavies.

Edited by KelesK, 22 June 2014 - 01:49 AM.

#102 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:49 AM

I can only speak for myself, but I changed my mind on buying Clan mechs. The reason for the change....the opportunity to actually see them on test before buying (Public test 1) and then playing two myself (Timberwolf and Stormcrow) during Public test 2. In the end, I purchased 6 chassis (18 total mechs) for $180.00. In my view, PGI earned this money and it is a very good product. Their willingness to do a public test before the mechs were released was a positive sign for me and I liked what I saw. Without the public test I would have waited to buy until after release.

#103 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

View PostMechLord71, on 22 June 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

I can only speak for myself, but I changed my mind on buying Clan mechs. The reason for the change....the opportunity to actually see them on test before buying (Public test 1) and then playing two myself (Timberwolf and Stormcrow) during Public test 2. In the end, I purchased 6 chassis (18 total mechs) for $180.00. In my view, PGI earned this money and it is a very good product. Their willingness to do a public test before the mechs were released was a positive sign for me and I liked what I saw. Without the public test I would have waited to buy until after release.
The public tests were also a big factor for me. PGI has been doing great work of late and actually deserve the money.

#104 mechaddict

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

These Clan Mechs have ruined this game completely. In fact I am uninstalling as I write this. $100's of dollars wasted buying mechs/upgrades only to now have these clan mechs that take no damage and kill any of my mechs with one shot of a laser...

The game sucks now... What a waste of time and money...

On the upside I can finally get rid of my google account...

Have fun all dumping your money into the bottomless pit of MWO!!!

#105 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

View Postmechaddict, on 25 June 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

These Clan Mechs have ruined this game completely. In fact I am uninstalling as I write this. $100's of dollars wasted buying mechs/upgrades only to now have these clan mechs that take no damage and kill any of my mechs with one shot of a laser...

Bye.

#106 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:42 AM

My 2 cents:

Kit fox: might be the best support light in the game. Versatile, can carry good loadouts and be the multirole light the IS dreamed about.

Adder: good role playing light, makes a good thumper in the light pack, and makes a good light hunter for support.

Nova: 12 ERSL + 4 MG, we nicknamed it the Darth Maul build, pure nasty in brawler form.

Stormcrow: without JJs still may be the best medium in game...seriously...

Summoner: good for support, but limited in utility by tonnage available. Great jumpy mech though...

Timber Wolf: jack of all trades, master of none. This mech can do everything well, but I would say there are purpose designed builds on other mechs that out do it if you specialize. However, if you want arguably the most versatile mech in the game, this just might be it.

Warhawk: a faster clan stalker, pretty much. Blessed with good hit boxes, and above average mobility with lots of hardpoints. Slot restricted by that totally full LT but it had to have some flaw...

Dire Wolf: The epitome of great death. This has quietly become my favorite. If you want an assault mech with monstrous firepower, nothing does it better in the game. Takes skill to play though, once you get it elited it is a different mech more so than any other. You can actually roll some damage with it once you get about 80 or so degrees torso twist.

#107 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

Hmm...either you suck at MWO, or you suck at life...figure that out first before you come back...ok?

#108 Sickboy78

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

In all fairness, balance sucks now. If you aren't piloting a clan mech, you are already the underdog. This game just isn't fun anymore. It is almost impossible to brawl now because all clan mechs can reach out and crush anything at range before it has a chance to get close. I find now, that you must have something exceeding 500m of range or you aren't going to be worth much. Expose yourself to a clan mech while piloting an IS mech and you are dead. This game ism and always has been, all about Alpha damage and no one can deny that Clan mechs pack the most punch in this arena of game play. We will see if I am right in the long run when clan mechs go C-bills. By then, I am guessing IS mechs will become much like sasquatch, a thing of legend.

#109 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostSickboy78, on 10 August 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

In all fairness, balance sucks now. If you aren't piloting a clan mech, you are already the underdog. This game just isn't fun anymore. It is almost impossible to brawl now because all clan mechs can reach out and crush anything at range before it has a chance to get close. I find now, that you must have something exceeding 500m of range or you aren't going to be worth much. Expose yourself to a clan mech while piloting an IS mech and you are dead. This game ism and always has been, all about Alpha damage and no one can deny that Clan mechs pack the most punch in this arena of game play. We will see if I am right in the long run when clan mechs go C-bills. By then, I am guessing IS mechs will become much like sasquatch, a thing of legend.

That's why we use cover.

Hi, I'm a house Davion pilot here. Yes, it's true, we have tea makers in our mechs, but that actually gives us an edge over the other factions.

My ON1-K doesn't have any elites on it (don't own three Orions, in fact my second was the protector I got during the extended sale), only the 8 basics, 4MLs, AC20, 2SRM4s 3 tons of ammo for the AC20, and a STD 300 with almost max armor. Yet, it's my favorite clan buster. Simply because I force engagements at under 300 meters, where the AC 20 hurt way too much for the clan tech DoT.

The biggest problem I'm seeing is that people are too used to having poke-wars at 800+ meters. Clans win those poke wars by default. Clan mechs are good at 2 things:

1- Long range engagements
2- Damage over Time, hence point 1.

The IS is by and large superior at hit and fade, and PP FLD.

Basically proper battle tactics between the two sides are as follows:
Clans: Keep the IS mechs with those big single shot ACs far from us

IS: Keep those Clan mechs with the long burn time lasers, and DoT weapons as close as possible.

At long range, heat on energy weapons is less of a factor, because you can go back behind cover and cool off. At close range, you can't hide from your opponent, and the massive majority of players will enter into a panic mode, and start firing almost non-stop trying to burn their opponent. If the IS mech uses proper torso twisting, and/or hit and run, they will get the clan mech to over heat, and die rather quickly.

In this last test, I only had one match against the clans, and we won (I was in my protector that only had cool run, and heat containment), because I got my team to take the northern part of the map (Crimson, Skirmish), and hide within the buildings. It took repeated orders of "don't poke at them" to keep the other solo dropers from engaging in a poke war that would lose us the match.

Thankfully the clanners took the bait and closed in on us. We used the lay of the land to turn that battle into a grueling slaughter in the streets. It was glorious. Because everyone remained mobile and didn't joust, we abused the buildings and the streets to interrupt the beams and the AC fire. It felt like a proper war, and then I made the mistake of over extending and had my wrecked CT slapped by 2 dual Gauss Daishis. I died early, but we won that battle.

The Problem is that 95% of all PuGs will engage in poke fests, meaning they are shooting themselves in the foot before the match even starts. Using terrain, and proper mech set ups is how you win, regardless of whether you're IS or Clan.

#110 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

Well apparently i really suck with the Summoner. i average a lowly 200 damage in it. My other mechs (warhawk, stormcrow, and Timber wolf) i average around 700 damage.

So i guess im doing something wrong but i don't know which. I only have the D variant. I used the stock build for the SMN-D which was really good. Using an omnipod and switching it out for a ballistic was no good as i constantly found myself downgrading to a weak AC2 or AC5. Switching out the shoulder omnipod for missiles seemed pointless even with the SRM-6. Putting ERPPC's in both arms was alright but prone to overheating. So i am puzzled what i should experiment next with

So any suggestions and what makes a good summoner build?

Edited by Grimwill, 12 August 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#111 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:42 AM

View PostGrimwill, on 12 August 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

Well apparently i really suck with the Summoner. i average a lowly 200 damage in it. My other mechs (warhawk, stormcrow, and Timber wolf) i average around 700 damage.

So i guess im doing something wrong but i don't know which. I only have the D variant. I used the stock build for the SMN-D which was really good. Using an omnipod and switching it out for a ballistic was no good as i constantly found myself downgrading to a weak AC2 or AC5. Switching out the shoulder omnipod for missiles seemed pointless even with the SRM-6. Putting ERPPC's in both arms was alright but prone to overheating. So i am puzzled what i should experiment next with

So any suggestions and what makes a good summoner build?

Try this build.
SMN-D

It might work for you.

The Summoner is a very nimble mech. Think of it as a medium mech. Play it that way. Run fast, run hard, and never face anyone 1v1. Most mechs out damage you. Even lights bring a lot more firepower than you do most of the time. So focus on being mobile, and supporting your team. Don't be afraid to lead flanking action. It's part of what you're good at.

The Summoner is also a good poptart, on account of the 5 JJs it's got strapped into it. Use the prime energy arm when possible, since it reduces the energy weapon cooldown.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 13 August 2014 - 12:44 AM.

#112 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

I would try a brawling configurations, similar to those i used to run with my Shadow Hawk. Things like SRMs, LBX10 and few medium pulses.

Oh, how i will like to experiment with it!

#113 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

I created a nice sniper mech with my summoner D. One shoulder mounted Gauss rilfe and four med lasers and around 30 tons of ammo. It's shoulder mounted weapon allows for easy peaking over ridges. Was hating the summoner now i am loving it.

#114 Angry Kylo Ren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 120 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:42 PM

Grimwill you read my mind. I have run the same build - Gauss + 4ERMLL is a pretty nasty mech.

The other one I run is 2UAC5 + 4ERMLL, or 2LBX5 + 4ERMLL.

I see lots of folks running srm summoners but i just can't get srms to fit my playstyle. =)

I love clan mechs, they've brought a lot of life back into the game for me.

I find it's a good balance between clan and IS - with the clans better at sustained, open-field firefights and the IS mechs better at dirty, sneaky innersphere tactics.

I'm actually impressed by PGI on this front.

Sure there are some tweaks to be made here and there, but it's pretty close imo.

And as always, the good mechwarriors will adapt and evolve without much of a hiccup. The bad ones, will come and complain.

#115 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:44 AM

LOL i bought HL 2 as it was new, for around 40€ and it lasted one weekend, was it now wasted money too?

#116 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:49 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 04 September 2014 - 01:44 AM, said:

LOL i bought HL 2 as it was new, for around 40€ and it lasted one weekend, was it now wasted money too?

meh. Players like that would have quit and complained over anything else. If they couldn't handle NOT staring at the enemy for 5 seconds without moving, they were going to quit anyways.

#117 Sickboy78

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 August 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

That's why we use cover.

Hi, I'm a house Davion pilot here. Yes, it's true, we have tea makers in our mechs, but that actually gives us an edge over the other factions.

My ON1-K doesn't have any elites on it (don't own three Orions, in fact my second was the protector I got during the extended sale), only the 8 basics, 4MLs, AC20, 2SRM4s 3 tons of ammo for the AC20, and a STD 300 with almost max armor. Yet, it's my favorite clan buster. Simply because I force engagements at under 300 meters, where the AC 20 hurt way too much for the clan tech DoT.

The biggest problem I'm seeing is that people are too used to having poke-wars at 800+ meters. Clans win those poke wars by default. Clan mechs are good at 2 things:

1- Long range engagements
2- Damage over Time, hence point 1.

The IS is by and large superior at hit and fade, and PP FLD.

Basically proper battle tactics between the two sides are as follows:
Clans: Keep the IS mechs with those big single shot ACs far from us

IS: Keep those Clan mechs with the long burn time lasers, and DoT weapons as close as possible.

At long range, heat on energy weapons is less of a factor, because you can go back behind cover and cool off. At close range, you can't hide from your opponent, and the massive majority of players will enter into a panic mode, and start firing almost non-stop trying to burn their opponent. If the IS mech uses proper torso twisting, and/or hit and run, they will get the clan mech to over heat, and die rather quickly.

In this last test, I only had one match against the clans, and we won (I was in my protector that only had cool run, and heat containment), because I got my team to take the northern part of the map (Crimson, Skirmish), and hide within the buildings. It took repeated orders of "don't poke at them" to keep the other solo dropers from engaging in a poke war that would lose us the match.

Thankfully the clanners took the bait and closed in on us. We used the lay of the land to turn that battle into a grueling slaughter in the streets. It was glorious. Because everyone remained mobile and didn't joust, we abused the buildings and the streets to interrupt the beams and the AC fire. It felt like a proper war, and then I made the mistake of over extending and had my wrecked CT slapped by 2 dual Gauss Daishis. I died early, but we won that battle.

The Problem is that 95% of all PuGs will engage in poke fests, meaning they are shooting themselves in the foot before the match even starts. Using terrain, and proper mech set ups is how you win, regardless of whether you're IS or Clan.

I disagree. Clan still beats IS at close range. You can't fit 5 ultra AC/5s on any IS mech, not even close. All that screen shake is hell, even at close range. You also can't put the kind of alpha firepower on a IS mech. Clan mechs also by and large are more maneuverable and faster. Stormcrow can do 90 without having to sacrifice any of the firepower that you would in an IS. Granted, the lights are a bit slow and I don't particularly like clan mechs compared to IS in the light category but no one pilots lights anyway, usually less than 10% when I check play lists. I still do well in my clan lights, just a different play style (more support role than scout or sniper). Most of the time people pilot heavies and Assaults with mediums 3rd and lights a very distant 4th. ECM coverage I would say is comparable between clans and IS. I seem to find unfortunately, that AMS is fairly useless no matter what (even my kitfox with ECM and 3 AMS gets overwhelmed with LRMS). The save on damage seems with any AMS clan or otherwise in negligible.

Also, Clans have XL engines and don't suffer the same detriments with them as IS, you can lose a shoulder with Clan, IS, you are dead. Also, with the exception of the direwolf, it gives clan mechs quicker response times when heavier mechs are dealing with something fast. I can't corner a Timberwolf with a light solo and expect to be able to peck away at it because it turns to quickly and can respond to speed. So, all in all, I have to believe that Clans are still far more advantageous.

Edited by Sickboy78, 24 January 2015 - 09:37 AM.

#118 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

View PostSickboy78, on 24 January 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

I disagree. Clan still beats IS at close range. You can't fit 5 ultra AC/5s on any IS mech, not even close. All that screen shake is hell, even at close range. You also can't put the kind of alpha firepower on a IS mech. Clan mechs also by and large are more maneuverable and faster. Stormcrow can do 90 without having to sacrifice any of the firepower that you would in an IS. Granted, the lights are a bit slow and I don't particularly like clan mechs compared to IS in the light category but no one pilots lights anyway, usually less than 10% when I check play lists. I still do well in my clan lights, just a different play style (more support role than scout or sniper). Most of the time people pilot heavies and Assaults with mediums 3rd and lights a very distant 4th. ECM coverage I would say is comparable between clans and IS. I seem to find unfortunately, that AMS is fairly useless no matter what (even my kitfox with ECM and 3 AMS gets overwhelmed with LRMS). The save on damage seems with any AMS clan or otherwise in negligible.

Also, Clans have XL engines and don't suffer the same detriments with them as IS, you can lose a shoulder with Clan, IS, you are dead. Also, with the exception of the direwolf, it gives clan mechs quicker response times when heavier mechs are dealing with something fast. I can't corner a Timberwolf with a light solo and expect to be able to peck away at it because it turns to quickly and can respond to speed. So, all in all, I have to believe that Clans are still far more advantageous.

Holy necros batman!

Posted Image

As for your argument:

The King crab beats the dakka wolf hands down every time. Try the Various Dakka Crab builds, and you'll see. Like 4xUAC5s (significantly better than the DWF, since it's single shot, which means it has less chance of jamming mid barrage), 4xAC5s+2xAC2s (absolute nightmare)... etc.

The Dakkawolf is by and large, a very situational build, which makes it extremely lackluster. I wouldn't even list it in the top 10 good builds on clan mechs. Especially since every single one of it's builds can be negated by simply walking sideways. Seriously, even an atlas at close range can outmaneuver a DWF.

As for the Stormcrow being a very good medium, I would say that is true, but what about the Nova, or the Ice Ferret? I don't think people even remember the Ice Ferret is in the game anymore.

One or two good chassis is okay. The IS has counters as well (shadowhawk, centurions, and Hunchbacks for mediums. Thunderbolts, Cataphracts, and Orions for heavies ... etc.)

You also seem to forget that clan mechs are on average much hotter. Also, once they lose those fragile side torsos, their heat management is crippled even more. Just because the mech can fit more guns, doesn't mean it's better.

Right now, there are two exceptionally top tier chassis in the clan arsenal: The timberwolf (predictably), and the Stormcrow. With the Hellbringer a close third, and the Direwolf fourth.

Most clan mechs can't outbrawls their IS counterparts, and those that can, have to have the set up specifically for it.

Here's a better, more relevant to our times description of how the two techs work:

IS: Niche mechs. Each mech is okay at one or two roles, but exceptionally good at one thing.
Clan: Generalist mechs, jack of all trades, master of none.

So clan mechs can beat an IS mech if the IS mech is outside it's niche. However, they lose to it in it's favored role.

For example, a DWF can out-snipe an Atlas, and possibly a King Crab (depends on pilot skill in that match up. I've had it go either way many times). However, the DWF absolutely loses to the Atlas in a brawl. It can never spread damage like the Atlas can, and it can't deal with it's PP FLD set up (AC20+ASRM6s+MLs).

The quirks we now have help settle an IS mech into it's niche. Which can exacerbate their edge in that field to near broken levels sometimes (TDR-9S). Learn the niche, if you want to go IS vs. Clans, and abuse it. Draw them into the range best suits you, and win there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users