#21 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:02 AM

I will be joining the test tomorrow. Some questions:

- Do you need to buy the Clan mechs or do you get those you ordered?
- Money spent/earned and XP are persistent with the regular server? Which means: if I sell all my IS mechs and equipment in the test server, will I lose it in the regular server?

#22 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:03 AM

View PostButane9000, on 13 June 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

Can I get a breakdown of the Warhawk, Stormcrow and Summoner?

I second you, sir, especially on Stormcrow. It has ES and FF (Nova has neither) and its pod space totals out at 23 tons vs 16 tons for Nova, which seems quite a difference with Clantech. Also IIRC Nova currently has no missile hardpoints, which is kind of weird. I wonder how much of a difference would that make in the game.

#23 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:26 AM

Since on the test server i encountered alot of meta builds (ctf-3d, dragonslayers, banshees, etc). I believe my reviews can be considered accurate or similar to live server play.
I didn't test the lights.
Nova: Very flexible platform (like all of the others), you can go from a cmed laser brawler, to a cgauss sniper with some backup lasers, to a chubby ember. I dont believe this will be a super competitive mech but i didnt notice any issues with hitboxes being bad. In fact the hitboxes are pretty decent, spreads damage well and has the speed to get away if things go awry.
I didn't test stormcrow or timberwolf (didnt buy them, i will work for em).
The Summoner, I absolutely love. It can not carry very heavy loadouts but it doesnt really matter much. It can are mount any AC and it has amazing JJ height. Great speed, decent hitboxes, and with simple loadouts like cerppc/clbxac20 i was pulling of 900 damage games. It will fit into the jump sniping meta extremely well and may even add a whole new layer of pain. It is also stunning, sexy, and smooth aesthetic. My favorite mech on test server.
Daishi: Everyone already knows that this mech can carry insane amounts of weaponry. 6cuac5s with 10 tons of ammo. Quad clbxac10 with 6-8 tons of ammo and 4 medium lasers. dual clan gauss and triple cerppc. The weapon loadouts i was running were pure devastation and the only single mechs that could face me without running away were other daishis. It will be a favorite for many people but i am unsure of how good it will be for competitive players because of how slow it is. Unless you have good aim, if a light decides to kill you, it pretty much will.
Masakari: Last mech i tried out so I didnt have much time with it. Very agile, can carry a decent amount of weapons. Beautiful sniper capabilities. Disappointing still that it wont be able to run its 4 erppc, lrm10 loadout very well.... damn ghost heat. I think this will actually replace the daishi in alot of competitive play. It is quite fast for an assault, can carry a decently heavy loadout, and has many arm mounted hardpoints. Also a favorite of mine for the test server.
The only issues i had with the test server was that the cerppc and cgauss even though they are lighter than IS equivalents just simply dont feel strong enough. They need the buffed damage that they had in other MW games. Im not saying 20 damage cerppc. But 12 sounds reasonable and 18 damage cgauss.

#24 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:42 AM

View PostOdanan, on 14 June 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:

- Money spent/earned and XP are persistent with the regular server? Which means: if I sell all my IS mechs and equipment in the test server, will I lose it in the regular server?
Hope to see you on the field Odanan. I'll be able to partake in this one also.

#25 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:42 AM

View PostWonderSparks, on 13 June 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

I didn't play much with other people, but I went into the Testing Grounds with all 8 of the Prime variants without altering them. Even on Alpine the moment my Nova alpha struck a target, instead of the heat building up it simply shut down. :P
But for the most part I liked the 'Mechs and their performance; I even found a nice, simple build for the Timber Wolf S that I liked. ;) (As well as a dual Gauss dual UAC/20 build for the Dire Wolf ;))
a good pilot doesn't alpha the prime Nova..... you will be shut down for a good few minutes meanwhile you'll probably go down from being fired upon if your not lucky.

#26 Winter Bear

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:46 AM

First time post long time reader, to make this a short but sweet reply to the MWO creators that was a really fun night! I stayed up way to late and paid the price at work the next day thank you MWO for that one ;). I think the dynamics will change a little, so many missiles flying threw the air reminded me of that scene from 300 when the sun was blotted out from arrows. I think we'll see an up tic in ecm purchases. I dont think I can add anything to what has been said already but with these new Mechs and weapons a new map to play on would be nice. My hat goes off to the Clan tho I now have withdraw symptoms and want more.

#27 Tyrolus Lucien

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:50 AM

View PostOdanan, on 14 June 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:

Odanan, you will have the same cbills, mc's and mechs you have on regular server, as well as all the mechs you preordered. Any cbills or xp you spend on test will not be spent on live server. Basicly, test is a snap shot of your live server from a given day. And anything you do on test only happens on test. So if you sell everything you own on test, your live account will not change at all.

Edited by Tyrolus Lucien, 14 June 2014 - 04:51 AM.

#28 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:55 AM

View PostTyrolus Lucien, on 14 June 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

Odanan, you will have the same cbills, mc's and mechs you have on regular server, as well as all the mechs you preordered. Any cbills or xp you spend on test will not be spent on live server. Basicly, test is a snap shot of your live server from a given day. And anything you do on test only happens on test. So if you sell everything you own on test, your live account will not change at all.

Thanks!
I bought the Timber Wolf A La Carte. That means the only Clan mech I can play is the TW?

#29 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:19 AM

View PostOdanan, on 14 June 2014 - 04:55 AM, said:

Thanks!
I bought the Timber Wolf A La Carte. That means the only Clan mech I can play is the TW?

Aff, if it is the only 'Mech you bought. I am your same situation ;)

#30 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:11 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 14 June 2014 - 04:42 AM, said:

a good pilot doesn't alpha the prime Nova..... you will be shut down for a good few minutes meanwhile you'll probably go down from being fired upon if your not lucky.

Yeah. Even in tabletop alpha striking with a Nova/Blackhawk was something you just didn't do unless you liked the idea of your mech shutting down. 12 ER Medium Lasers generate a LOT of heat.

#31 Osirustwits

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 14 June 2014 - 06:11 AM, said:

Yeah. Even in tabletop alpha striking with a Nova/Blackhawk was something you just didn't do unless you liked the idea of your mech shutting down. 12 ER Medium Lasers generate a LOT of heat.

Don't miss I estimate you have almost 25 seconds to wait till you can power up 32 till you can really fire again

#32 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

Dire Wolf:

Ive never been much of a "Assault Mech" fan. The few times ive tried an Atlas out either buying one, or using a Trial.. i always felt like i was doing 'squat'.. and always ended up being destroyed by even Medium Mech's. With the Dire Wolf though...... I loved it!. Sure its god-awful slow... but it can pack some serious power into it and in a way that it still "Feels" powerfull to me. Unlike the Atlas when i tried using it, which felt like it was just trying to do to many things at the same time with not enough of 1 type of weapon to do well in anything.

The two Setups i used on the Dire Wolf that i loved (and had the most fun with)

DireWolf 1:
4x Clan UAC-2's
2x Clan LBX-20's

This thing was completely dependent on Ammo (though im planning to tweak it a bit to fit some lasers on it), But god was it fun. nothing more enjoyable than getting 'payback' on AC2 Jagger-mechs who fire off IS AC2's over and over again.... than spitting out a literal Hailstorm of UAC-2's at them in return. I Made this settup more as a "hey its test server, lets see how it does" thing. And on its maiden voyage, got 5 kills and 2 other assists.

Dire Wolf 2:

1x Clan LRM-20
2x Clan LBX-20
2x Clan ER LL's

This one was a bit more of a 'serious' attempt at a DireWolf build (not 100% ammo dependant). Though, honestly, the best part of it (as with the other build) are those hefty LBX-20's. Yes people say the UAC-20's are better.. or LBX's are trash.. and what-have you. But to me, nothing is more satisfying than taking out BOTH legs of a light, in one shot from a pair of LBX-20's while the little ****** is running at full speed. Or essentially 'skeat-shooting' a JJ-equipped mech out of the air... Or catching another Mech from the side and watching both its arm, and Side-torso melt from one blast.

Also, and i'll have to check this again to make sure... But for people who keep saying "man, LBX's are trash! use UAC's or AC's"... If i remember correctly, the reason i chose LBX 20's over the AC or UAC-20's.. is because the LBX pellets have a bonus chance to Crit... per pellet... whereas the UAC's and AC's don't. The drawback is that their 'pellets'.. and the damage can be spread out rather than 'centralized'. But if your close enough, there is nearly 0 spread.. so you simply get that bonus crit.

The only other Mech i have Clan-wise. (as i was limited on funds) is the TimberWolf.

While i didnt mess around with its setup to much (not as much as i experimented with the Dire-Wolf.) Its still my favorite of the two simply fure its pure speed + power it can have (and its my favorite Mech from the Mechwarrior Universe). I only came up with one setup though that i liked.

Timer Wolf:

2x Clan LRM20's
2x Clan ER LS
2x Clan ER ML
2x Clan MG's

Say what you will about people who use MG's.... but i love how quickly they can tear threw a mech who's lost its armor in a section your pumping 2x MG fire into. Not to mention i <3 the Clan MG sound! Between the MG's and the ML's.. i can 'decently' brawl when things get close and manage with its speed to stay behind/to the side, of an enemy mech.). And with the LRM's and LS's i can also reach out and touch people before they get to me, while using the speed of the mech to try and keep that distance.

Edited by Rhapsody Repine, 14 June 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#33 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

View PostXarian, on 13 June 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

From what I've read, anything in front of it dies pretty fast (faster than pretty much any other mech), but getting things to stand in front of it is the whole challenge. It's apparently very clumsy and has non-existent arm twists, so it can't effectively retaliate when hit from behind.

Is this accurate?

From my experience, not exactly. On paper, the Dire Wolf looks devastating, but in practice it doesn't always work out that way. After further reflection, I think it is due to the burst fire of the CACs and the longer burn time of the CLasers, the result of which means the Clan weapons don't feel like they can front load damage like IS weapons currently can. As a result, IS mechs can pretty easily hold their own against Clan mechs.

Of course, this is a preliminary impression based on a few hours of screwing around. More time to learn the nuances/understand the tech will surely refine (if not outright change) these impressions.

#34 Lazerspoon

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWexford, Ireland

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

Being a fan of previous Mechwarrior games, I ordered the Summoner and Timberwolf :) ... and honestly I'm really impressed, the Summoner (despite the lower armour) can take a heavy beating and the Timberwolf is just excellent anyway. The 81km/h is terrifying, and both mechs are really agile compared to IS mechs. The blue ripple-fire LRMs, the sound of the PPCs and the large diversity of ballistic weapons are sweet, fair play to PGI. But the deal sealer is the Timberwolf-S with JJs. Can't wait to pwn some more newbs tomorrow :D

#35 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,619 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Love my Daishi [Dire Wolf], which I'm calling Heimdall, after the Gatekeeper and Guardian to the Bifrost bridge to Valhalla.

My impressions are as follows:

1) it's fast for the amount of size it has to it. Think of a Stalker, and one'll get the idea on it's speed. If they alloowed for a better engine switch, I wouldn't even dare to trade the current engine for any thing else.

2) the damn packs more firepower than Atlas or Banshee. 50.5 tons. Tell me different. Cause most modifications I've seen have been regulated to only no more 4 Laser Hard points, 3 Missile Hard points, and maybe as many Ballistic Hard points, no more than 2 at a time. With that in mind, the damn thing can carry half arsenal available to the Clans.

I love it! I'm so glad to gotten this package.

The other that I love are:

Masakari [War Hawk], Thor [Summoner], and the venerable Mad Cat [Timber Wolf]. I can actually make the D variant on the S variant by simply switching weapons. Remove the Pulse and SRM [keep the ER Small] for 2 ER PPC and 4 Streak SRM 6's, and you've got mean SOB. I love it.

Edited by Hawk819, 14 June 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#36 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

View PostXarian, on 13 June 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

From what I've read, anything in front of it dies pretty fast (faster than pretty much any other mech), but getting things to stand in front of it is the whole challenge. It's apparently very clumsy and has non-existent arm twists, so it can't effectively retaliate when hit from behind.

Is this accurate?

yes , that's the most accurate description for a Dire Wolf. Well done

Edited by strikebrch, 14 June 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#37 Corbenik

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostOdanan, on 14 June 2014 - 04:55 AM, said:

Thanks!

Yes only the TW and its Variants

#38 Shepherd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

I bought the Kit Fox and the Nova.

Kit Fox: people were all gloom and doom on the Clan lights - lack of breakneck speed like the IS mechs = useless in many eyes. But the glory of the Clan light mechs has always been that they're basically smaller, lighter IS mediums. The Kit Fox is an interesting little bird. Two of the loadouts are somewhat crazy, with odd assortments of lasers, UAC and missiles. The D variant is a superb missile boat. Stock is 35 LRM tubes and a NARC - so basically, you can take the NARC off and add a few more LRM tubes. Or you can do SSRM6x4 - but with 7 second cool down on the Streak 6 launchers, you've got to be sneaky.

Basically, Clan lights are lurker mechs. They hang out of the way, then use their speed to quickly deploy on a flank, do a bunc of damage, then retreat back within the main body. Clan light mechs are not wide-ranging scouts - not until we get a Fire Moth that is!

Nova: A solid mech! Nova Prime is ridiculously hot, but MAN what a high damage mech. 84 point alpha that nearly kills you from heat damage. I was a bit disappointed that the missile variant didn't make the cut, but I think that even without missiles the mech has plenty of promise, if not a ton of versatility - i.e. I'm not too sure that there needs to be a ton of omni pod swapping. 12 cerSmall Lasers and 4 machine guns is an interesting idea though :)

#39 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostShepherd, on 14 June 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

Kit Fox: people were all gloom and doom on the Clan lights - lack of breakneck speed like the IS mechs = useless in many eyes.

I have been noticing a pattern with predictions about the usefulness of mechs

Shadowhawk - DOA bad weapons
Wolverine - King of Mediums!!!
Griffin - DOA - too much on one side, to easy too disarm

Banshee - DOA
Kintaro - Going to be good!

Kit Fox - DOA....
Nova - DOA...

Whatever people predict...

Expect the opposite? :)

#40 BatHunter

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 31 posts
  • LocationKitsap County, Washington

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

I only purchased the Timberwolf, and only played two games with the prime varient, but I have to say:

I love it.

In the first game,I found myself going toe-to-toe with an Atlas and took it down. In the second game, I had four kill assists when I was jumped by four clan mechs (I let myself push out to far in front of my lance). But I heavily damaged the four mechs, before I died. But my lance mates took them down afterward.

I didn't use the close range stuff much, mainly lasers and lrms. I had them grouped by right arm(1) and left arm(2) lasers and lrms on 3. The close stuff was 4.

The TimberWolf is my second favorite clan mech next to the Kodiak. Now there is some Ghost Bear love for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users