Advice For One Handed Play

19 replies to this topic

#1 Drahgo

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

Due to an accident some years ago my left hand is near useless. I cant manipulate the keys for movement of mechs. Anyone have advice for playing useing only my right hand? I tried a Joy stick and just cant get the ting to work right. Targeting is a pain.
Any help will be greatly apreciated.

#2 Smudge504

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 101 posts
  • LocationNewcaslte Upon Tyne

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

you could look at a 12 button mouse like the Logitec G600, you could put the movement keys on the side thumb buttons? would take a little getting used to, but it would be possible to play with one hand.

http://www.gizbot.co...gitech-g600.png

#3 Mortiverious

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

http://www.razerzone...razer-tartarus/

would be another option if you could find a right handed version razor also has mice much like the Logitech some with even more buttons but they can be a little on the overpriced side in my opinion, and yes using a joystick against people with a mouse takes a lot of skill and you would still not be able to match them on speed

#4 Drahgo

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

thanks for the reply's. I will check into those options

#5 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

Some companies also make gaming foot pedals.

If you got a double pedal setup, you could use that for turning. Maybe a triple pedal to include jumpjets.

Also - MWO won't let you map the scroll wheel to anything. But if you use macro software, you can reprogram the scroll wheel of your mouse, so that it presses a button when scrolled. Ex: scroll up will press f11 and scroll down will press f12.

You can then map f11 and f12 to accelerate and decelerate.

#6 LordDread

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 212 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

Dunno if this will help, but might be worth a look

http://www.voiceattack.com/

#7 Drahgo

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

thanks
Im getting the Logiteck G700s gameing mouse
Voiceattack looks interesting.
Unfortunatly the same accident that left me without use of my left hand has made me bedridden. The foot controls would not work. But thanks for the suggestion

#8 Aurihalcon

• PipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

Hey good luck Drahgo. Hope to see you online :huh:

#9 CerebrumExMachina

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • 1 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hi,

I'm nearly in the same situation: I lost my right hand in an accident.

I use a Razzor Lachesis Mouse with seven (3 main + 4 programmable) buttons. Sadly only 5 of them work in MWO because assigned keys (e.g. R-key) aren't recognized in MWO. But you can use your mouse-wheel by editing the actionmaps.xml. The main buttons will activate weapongroups 1 and 2, the middle mouse-button locks the target, mouse-wheel up sets max zoom and mouse-wheel down resets the zoom. the first thumb button is weapongroup 3 (or UAV if I'm in my Raven 3L) and the function of the second thumb-button differs from mech to mech: I use it for jumpjets, for a fourth weapongroup or artystrike.

For movement i'm using a Logitech G11 Keyboard. It has three blocks each with six programmable keys on the left side. The lowest block is used for movement: upper and lower key on the left row turns left, upper and lower key on the right turns to the right, the top middle-button accelerates an the lower middle-button decreases speed. Above these six keys is some space before the next block begins, in this i programmed the lower right and lower left button to functions I'll need in my games and that don't fit to my mouse keys, e.g. if I need four weapongroups (which will be all assigned to my mouse buttons) one key activates the arty-strike.

With this setup I'm able to play most of the games and not in a bad way. In the last Faction Tournament I was under the Top50 of the FRR.

Greetings CerebrumEM

Edited by CerebrumEM, 14 June 2014 - 08:06 PM.

#10 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

Have you considered foot pedals for steering? Not only would it allow for hands-free turning but it'd be thematically appropriate for the Battletech/Mechwarrior setting.

Edit:

View PostDrahgo, on 14 June 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

Unfortunatly the same accident that left me without use of my left hand has made me bedridden. The foot controls would not work. But thanks for the suggestion

Apologies, that's what I get for not reading the entire thread.

Edited by Levi Porphyrogenitus, 14 June 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#11 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:14 AM

Greetings all,

I would also recommend the 'voice attack' program, it's very good at voice recognition and the programs voice can be changed to nearly any accent you'd like.
- After watching a few videos of 'Star Citizen' and 'Dangerous elite' working it looks like it may be something you should look into.

Linking the key strokes to the program appears to be rather easy, and you can try the program for free for 30days.
- I really like the Australian female programs voice and its really difficult to tell it's just a reading program.
- Programming the speech to link to keystrokes works fine, and it's not like there are a lot of keys that are needed from MWO play. Settings the weapons groups, and the mech lab selections will all work within the program, depending what your tell it to do for the selected speech.

I can see this program being really useful in the working of a modern wired house, so many possibilities.
- Work this program in MWO with track ir and it's some interesting possibilities for you.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 15 June 2014 - 12:15 AM.

#12 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:13 AM

I wonder if TrackIR might also be of use to you? I haven't used it, but I wonder if the head tracking sensor can be mapped to controls other than view.

Locking weapon systems - Streaks and LRMs - would probably be easiest for you to use, once you get the movement controls sorted out. Post a thread if you'd like specific advice on which chassis to use for those purposes.

Best wishes for finding a solution.

Edited by Appogee, 15 June 2014 - 01:15 AM.

#13 Drahgo

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

Thank you all for your advice. My main concern is of course movement of the mech. I'll see how the new mouse works and go from there. You all have given some very good suggestions.
Again...Thank You

#14 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:23 AM

View PostCerebrumEM, on 14 June 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

But you can use your mouse-wheel by editing the actionmaps.xml. The main buttons will activate weapongroups 1 and 2, the middle mouse-button locks the target, mouse-wheel up sets max zoom and mouse-wheel down resets the zoom.

MWO now has bindings for "zoom in" and "zoom out".
However, I find that these behave strangely when bound to mouse wheel - the zoom in/out code goes a bit crazy if you issue multiple zoom commands within 200ms of each other (Easy with a wheel).
I have written an app which solves these problems, link is in my sig.
It works by instead using the bindings which send you straight to a specific zoom. The script then keeps a record of what zoom it thinks you are in, and hits the key for the next zoom in sequence.
It also supports a hotkey to add/remove advanced zoom from the sequence - so you can enable/disable adv zoom mid-game (or if you forget to change it when you change mech).

I would say for sure that the best option for you would be foot pedals. You can get ones with two axes (left/right and tilt feet like an accelerator) so you could control the legs with your feet and the rest with your good hand.

I have plenty of code that can help with improving control setups, so likely something I have would be able to help you out.
For example, check out a new project I wrote called UJRC - this allows you to define "shift states" for your keyboard / mouse, so if you run out of buttons on your mouse, you could maybe double up functionality of the buttons using shift states.

If you need something slightly different, let me know and I may be able to adapt some of my code to your needs.

Edited by evilC, 16 June 2014 - 06:24 AM.

#15 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostDrahgo, on 15 June 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

Thank you all for your advice. My main concern is of course movement of the mech. I'll see how the new mouse works and go from there. You all have given some very good suggestions.
Again...Thank You

Are you still able to operate a joystick in your left hand ?
Using a joystick for movement and a mouse for targetting could work, even if you can't use all Joystickbuttons.

I use a Saitek ST 290 Joystick for movement, and a Mad Catz MMO7 Mouse, both use the same software to bind keys to buttons.
Normally windows can only handle 5 buttons on a mouse, so all the nice mice with more than 5 buttons came with a software to assign keys to them.
The MMO7 has 9 buttons and a 4 way coolie hat. 5 of the Buttons and the Coolie hat are under the thump. A 10th button is near the pinky, and can be used to switch between 3 different sets of keybindings.

Good joysticks for left handed use:
Saitek ST 290 (out of production, maybe used on e-bay)
Logitech Attack 3 (out of production, maybe used on e-bay)
Thrustmaster T.1600M

MadCatzV1 Flight Stick
Mad Catz AV8R / Aviator

According to the reviews, the Thrustmaster T.1600M is very precise.

#16 Alto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Have you thought about investing in some flight simulator peddles? This would allow you to control the lower half. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to and about a month to master. You get nice analog turning too.

Edited by Alto, 17 June 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#17 Hougham

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

I was thinking the same as Alto. Some rudder pedals for turning. Then combined with a good gaming mouse and you should have a very usable setup. If you have any use in your left had you may even be able to use a flight throttle stick as well. If that's a no go you can just map mouse buttons.

#18 Andilar

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:49 AM

I can't paste in the hyperlink, but I started a new topic today (9/6/2014) on a one-handed Wii Nunchuck + Arduino Micro set-up, if you are still around and interested.

#19 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:27 AM

before you go off and spend a load on pedals and stuff the question you need do figure out is, what you can do with your left hand.

#20 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

I just got these foot pedals, and am using them now: http://mwomercs.com/...pedals-for-mwo/

They're $8 each, and could be used to control your mech while your mouse handles the rest - turning, for example. Or to enable usage of other functions you'd otherwise struggle with.

I highly, highly recommend them. At worst, they're dirt cheap and fun, so if they don't work out for you at least it's not like buying expensive Razer gear or what have you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users