Omnipods Not Clan Omni.

51 replies to this topic

#41 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:14 AM

it would take new code to make a tonnage restriction for equipment and more artwork to cator for the amount of combinations you could have on 6 sections of the mech.

PGI have nor time or talent to do this so they took code they already have, hardpoints and added a module {omni pod} to make them change once applied. limits everything, doesn't follow lore but is minimally viable.

balance? that's what heat mechanics and equipment values are for, although they're totally screwed along with ghost heat and mech mastery, targetting computer, module perks. and nobody cares about what newbies have to put up with.

#42 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:30 AM

View PostWardsylvania, on 16 June 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:

The Timberwolf S supports dual gauss, so you can still have your desired build.

Was just about to say, I was pretty sure you COULD do a dual-gauss T-Wolf.

I don't think omnipods have worked that way precisely in videogames since MW2... or maybe the mech commander series, though that had some crazy deviations from battltech canon. In fact, iirc, in mech commander, you could put any weapon on any mech as long as there was weight left, slots didn't exist, let alone matter, and you couldn't put extra ammo or heatsinks on. It was pretty far from tradition in some ways.
I know MW4 and it's expansions/sequels used slots that while any weapon could fit in for clan mechs, the mechs also had limited slots, and limited numbers of both standard one weapon type hardpoints, and omni hardpoints.

#43 elitewolverine

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

View PostDakkaface, on 18 June 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

If you can't be bothered to check the announcements more than once every six months, that's a far cry from 'hugging the forums.' I'd rate it closer to 'wants to be surprised about everything that appears in the game.'

Yes and no, i knew what it offered long ago, it is why i left, but i got an itch you see, 20yrs of table top and pc gaming going back to dos. MW3 imo was the last BT game and the rest were, lets not let this name die cause it has a large enough base. The fact this game got players to pucker up 240$ for a game that no one in the console or pc gaming sphere would call complete is proof that we/they are a diehard group.

It's doesn't defeat the purpose. You still are able to make that config, whereas if you had an IS mech without the right hardpoints, you'd be SOL. You can't turn a CPT-A1, C1, C4 or J into a Gaussapult. You play the K2 or play something else. The omnipod system makes the triple mech mastery (not that it's a good system) less painful by basically letting you play the same mech 3 times.

As mentioned, the omni-pod system as listed alleviates this significantly, other than the c-bill grind.

I know how it works, i just dont agree with it. And just like with BT, even an IS mech could be customized, that is if you played with the right group and you paid the c-bills for a custom chassis.

Of course the three mech mastery system is annoying, it's part of the F2P grind that keeps games like MWO afloat. Sll F2P games have grind in order to incentivize the paying of money to bypass the grind. But changing it at this stage wasn't going to happen. That's not a 'change weapon damage numbers' level change, that's 'we have to design a new system that also has grind and C-bill sinks but isn't buying new variants, and then we have to check with the engineers that it's codable, and then it has to be coded and tested.' That's dev time on yet one more aspect of Clans that needed dev time. As it is, we're getting Clan features pushed back by a patch or two. Add in this change and we would see clans in August at the soonest. Probably later, as the current pod system seems to run largely off the inventory system so it probably was mostly getting the menus to work and adding a new item category.

Oh i know, while i am not code level here that pgi is, i cannot fathom that even a rewrite of pod space is not out of a weeks worth of their coding skill. If it wasn't i would seriously worry about their skills. Not that i am mocking PGI, they have made a game that i could not. But......it is all imo.

Nope. Balance for omnis was Battle Value, and even that took a little time to hammer out.

I wouldn't. Ghost heat I could live without but doubled armor is necessary when taking the system from the random locations of the tabletop to a non-random, skill based hit location. Even if the weapons weren't perfect pinpoint damage, it'd still be more accurate fire than we ever saw on the tabletop. If you want tabletop omnis with no ghost heat and a balanced game - well there's always Megamek.

It is far from skill based by any means. If you talk about skill, it takes nothing for me to line up a dual gauss Cataphract and lay into a atlas that is slow as dirt, and put 30points of damage to the CT, then a Large laser to follow in the same spot. I may hit the lt or rt. Or how about ever homing CT missiles, this includes when my back is facing an enemy and my CT Front gets hit from behind.

We have double armor because weapons can fire in 3 seconds instead of 10, because of pinpoint. As a result we have jenners with no fear of assaults, and other abilities that shoulnt happen. They have taken the great equalizers of the games and nerfed them. Head shots to stop poptarts? Nope. Gauss to battle tarts? Nope, gotta charge and guess. ECM. Tags that make narcs worthless, ghost heat...Yes i am griping. But still opinion stands.

The idea behind the tabletop being inaccurate was for play yes, but at the same time, was because getting pinpoint damage from all weapons, from a walking behemoth, running 80kph is silly as hell in real world physics...

#44 Grimsin2014

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

View Postelitewolverine, on 19 June 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

The fact this game got players to pucker up 240$ for a game that no one in the console or pc gaming sphere would call complete is proof that we/they are a diehard group.

In deed! Exactly why I would shell it out not knowing half of what you might think one should before doing so. MW for the PC way back in the day started what would become a lengthy carrier in PC gaming for me. That and the original Civilization.

I can't resist even if I am a bit distrought over the way clan mechs work. Even after figuring out how to use the Omnipods. If I could change the center torso pod and it effected the engine that would be nice. I don't like that I have flamers stuck in my center torso on some mechs.

#45 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostGrimsin2014, on 25 June 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

I can't resist even if I am a bit distrought over the way clan mechs work. Even after figuring out how to use the Omnipods. If I could change the center torso pod and it effected the engine that would be nice. I don't like that I have flamers stuck in my center torso on some mechs.

Too bad it is how it works in canon, so be glad that they actually implemented most of the OmniTech rules for the first time! ;)

#46 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

The fact this game got players to pucker up 240$ for a game that no one in the console or pc gaming sphere would call complete is proof that we/they are a diehard group.

True. I've ponied up about $210 over two and a half years for MWO, and that's still less than I paid for Mechwarrior: Dark Age minis in a similar timeframe back in the early 2000's, but I'm not part of the Ironclad/Devoted/Legendary/Overlord club. F2P games really aren't all that cheap, since the rely on continual sales of what amounts to DLC.

I know how it works, i just dont agree with it. And just like with BT, even an IS mech could be customized, that is if you played with the right group and you paid the c-bills for a custom chassis.

And you were willing to wait for the weeks or months of campaign time for the refit to be accomplished. Taking a chassis out of commission for days or weeks in MWO every time I want to test a build seems less than fun.

It is far from skill based by any means. If you talk about skill, it takes nothing for me to line up a dual gauss Cataphract and lay into a atlas that is slow as dirt, and put 30points of damage to the CT, then a Large laser to follow in the same spot. I may hit the lt or rt. Or how about ever homing CT missiles, this includes when my back is facing an enemy and my CT Front gets hit from behind.

Do you, as the player, control where you can place fire? Can you aim? Then yes, it is player controlled and skill based rather than determined by random chance. It doesn't matter how low the skill ceiling is, the fact remains that it's still skill based rather than random. which means that having high general armor isn't anywhere near as useful in MWO as it is in CBT.

#47 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

Clan Mechs are NOT OP, there are just allot if experienced mechwarriors piloting them right now. Also, Clan mechs are not a waste of money, because they will be FREE, unless you paid to preorder them.

#48 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

I think they should have put in ALL the Omni pods for all mech in 3050. I like trying out other configs. that are in lore. I have tried out a Kit Fox A 1 gauss and 2 ER med Lasers.(that configuration is a POS by the way) and the B config. that one is not to bad I like it. but you can't make the C. Well technically you can the 2 MG that should be in the left arm will be located in the L/R torsos.
Storm crow B is out of the question too. needs to have a right arm with 4 energy hard points. I can make a long list of what configs we don’t have access to but ill save that for another time. I may post that some time 3050 Omni mechs we can and cant make. But all and all i like the Omni setup.

Edited by The Boneshaman, 07 July 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#49 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostLiam Salem, on 16 June 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

Last time I checked, Omnipods meant ANYTHING could be equipped in that spot. They weren't part of a set that limited you to one or two of a particular type.

If this is how the Omnipods are going to be set-up, who else agrees with me that the clan mech's are just a waste of money? Seriously. I LOVE the TimberWolf. I couldn't wait to make a variant with twin gauss. Then I find out that the Dev's just put interchangeable hardpoints onto the mechs?

The HELL!? Seriously. I could understand, say, limiting the number of weapons on a spot. But limiting the type of weaponry? Sounds more like a suggestion for me to get a refund on my two Ala Carte mechs.

Anyone else feel this way? Die hard fans of mech's excluded here of course. You guys couldn't care less about the loadouts, just if you get to pilot the mech itself. Lol your opinions are going to be slanted.

(Content griping follows after here. Not important really)

I didn't realize though that I was playing a typical MMO where set-based gear was going to be part of playing. Next they might even add free roam -.-'

(end griping)

Anyoe else who agrees that Clan Omni's should be TRUE Clan Omni's and not the ones that come on the Hermes?

There is no such thing as universal hardpoints (like in MW4).
MWO gives us freedom to change weapons of the same class (ballistics, energy and missile) but that's not an easy thing in the lore - in IS or Clan. You would need to spend a lot of money and time to do that (it's like replacing the main gun of a modern Main Battle Tank).

The interchangeable omni pods system for the Clan mechs is actually pretty cool and accurate.

#50 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

yes, as much I h8t to say it, I really don't want to see 4 errpc, 2 gauss Daishi's running around :(

#51 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:52 AM

Last time I checked, Omnipods meant ANYTHING could be equipped in that spot. They weren't part of a set that limited you to one or two of a particular type.

You're wrong starting from here. It's never has been said that customization for OmniMechs is unlimited. Structurual components of Omnimechs are just as fixed as IS 'mechs, which includes ammo and power feed components.

Besides, it's utterly ******** to whine over the Omni- representation provided by PGI. It has been thoroughly specified how Omnimechs are going to work long before mechs were incorporated, and current method makes a lot more sense than any other prior to it.

Edited by DivineEvil, 08 July 2014 - 05:55 AM.

#52 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

View PostDivineEvil, on 08 July 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

You're wrong starting from here. It's never has been said that customization for OmniMechs is unlimited. Structurual components of Omnimechs are just as fixed as IS 'mechs, which includes ammo and power feed components.

Besides, it's utterly ******** to whine over the Omni- representation provided by PGI. It has been thoroughly specified how Omnimechs are going to work long before mechs were incorporated, and current method makes a lot more sense than any other prior to it.

Agreed. Functionally, as well, it is damned close to "anything goes" anyways. Want an AC in that arm? Replace the omni-pod to a ballistic supporting arm module, should one exist. Total unlimited freedom in loadout, however, could break the game so hard it is not even funny....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users