New To Marik, Seeking Advice?

19 replies to this topic

#1 DEZIBAHN

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

Hello, House Marik. I've read the differences in the houses, I've researched the clans, I've done some time as a merc. And I've come to the conclusion that the FWL sounds like the best fit for me.

I hope nobody minds, but I'm already flying the colors. Was that preemptive of me?

Ahem, sorry. I'd like to officially apply and all of that, but I'm somewhat of an irregular player. I'm getting ready to move (so no internet for who knows how long), I don't have a proper mic (so no teamspeak), and even when I can get access to the 'net again, I've got an 8-month old daughter who strongly interferes with my free time.

With all that in mind, would I still be welcome here? Or should I just turn heel and find my jollies with those wretched pirates?

#2 Stingr4y

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

You are way too polite to be hanging around with us....... just kidding.

We are glad to see another fellow Purple Eagle fight for house marik.

If you wish to become more integrated with us, look us up at www.house-marik.net There are over 2000 members within this community, and I don't think we got this way by turning away good folk like you.

Don't worry about not having a mic for Teamspeak. We are all welcoming here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Also, friend me or anybody you see with a purple eagle emblem, They will accept the invite and play.

As for your 8 month old, do not fret. Most people in the FWLM know that since Feb, I had recently become a father, and my play time was shot, but soon I will be back in full force. If you play sporadically, that is pretty much par for the course for several fathers here in House Marik.

Welcome aboard, Mechwarrior. We hope to be dropping with you soon.

#3 DEZIBAHN

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

Thanks! I looked up the website before I posted this thread, and it seemed pretty legit. It felt like there are somewhat high expectations placed on Marik Mechwarriors, and I'd hate to disappoint (I swear, someone replaced my HBK's armor with paper mache when I wasn't looking...).

Are there really that many people aligned with Marik? I hardly ever see any eagles when I drop, usually I'm the only one in any given match.

I'll head back to Marik.net and register in a few (real life always intervienes in the most inconvenient of times) btu I'll go ahead and add you as a friend in the meantime. And I do have one question, how does the drop-team-system-thing work? Does it drop you based on who's on your friends list? Is it something that has to be set up? ...Does it require MC? (please say no)

#4 Stingr4y

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

Drop team system does NOT require MC. If there are planned team v team for private matches, it requires at least one person on each side to have premium time. There are no worries for you. When you jump in with us, we all can give you a step by step process on jumping in with a group of people. Trust me....this game becomes VERY fun once you play with a group of people.

As for high expectations......it doesn't matter your skill level to play with our community. If you end up joining a sub-unit (which you are not required to join), some are more hardcore than others. It all depends on how the unit is structured. But most of the time, you do not have to worry about anybody kicking you out of a group because you don't pull your weight.

Also........just to let you know......RL always comes first. You take care of your family and take care of that little one first. MWO and house marik can come after that.

#5 DemonRaziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 646 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

Welcome to the House, DEZIBAHN.

To add to what Stingray has posted, dropping in public matches (12v12) is more or less random, with some conditions set up in the match maker. You can, however, form a group of up to 4 people and drop together into this public queue (the remaining 8 slots on your team will be, once again, filled randomly).

Other options include (competitive) 12man drops, where you form a group of 12 people in advance and drop against other 12man "premades" and private matches. This last option allows for teams of less than 12 players to fight each other (including uneven numbers of players on each team), but do cost MC (one of the players on each side has to have premium time).

As far as above mentioned House Marik website goes, it can be seen as a hub for many Marik units and a meeting place for all the Marikans. And while it's true that there are some competitive units, there's almost always someone to drop with for a casual match, regardless of skill level in the General Drop Bays area.

Furthermore, I would advise you to join the TS3 server even if you don't have a mic - you can still listen in and meet many people to drop with. And you can communicate with them via written chat.

#6 DEZIBAHN

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

I'll look into teamspeak, then, hopefully it doesn't pull too many resources (I need to upgrade my rig something fierce). So how does the team thing work, I'm still confused. I've seen people re-organizing the lances in the pre-match lobby (in videos), but that still just seems like a crapshoot as far as who you drop with. (sorry, I swear I'm smart, I just can't wrap my head around this bit. =P)

#7 Stingr4y

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostDEZIBAHN, on 20 June 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

So how does the team thing work, I'm still confused. I've seen people re-organizing the lances in the pre-match lobby (in videos), but that still just seems like a crapshoot as far as who you drop with.

Do not worry about the logistics of group play. There will be people to walk you through. Once you try it, you will find out how easy it is to play with groups of people.

Again, we all are here to walk you through. See you on the battlefield.

#8 DemonRaziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 646 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

Most of the time, reorganizing the players in the lobby is, indeed, a crapshoot. Groups are normally pre-made (hence the name "premades") prior to dropping with the use of the social tab and your friend list in the bottom right corner.

Though it's always key to remember that your team still consist of 12 players (d/cs and 0 pingers aside, ofc :) ) and a premade of 2-4 usually can't carry the full weight on their own.

#9 DEZIBAHN

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

Ok, understanding it a bit more. Um, so, real quick, "Character creation?" Name, I got. Type? Level? Description?

Whaaaaaaat?????

#10 DemonRaziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 646 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostDEZIBAHN, on 20 June 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

Name, I got. Type? Level? Description?

Search for my character on the website and you'll understand.

#11 DEZIBAHN

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

Lmao... Ok... I think I get the idea. Whatever, eh?

#12 QuackAttack

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

Welcome to the house with the best Space Bacon!
And just wait till your little ones are 3 and 6 and start cheering during matches :)

#13 DEZIBAHN

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Oh, if MWO is still up and running in 10 years, I'm sure my girl will be dropping Mad Cat's with the best of 'em.

#14 Polignac

• PipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

Welcome Dezibahn! I think you'll find the FWLM and its units are pretty open and welcoming. Looking forward to seeing you on the battlefield. Also, there are definitely a few units in the House that cater to casual players (*cough cough* 4th Oriente among others *cough cough*). Power to the Purple!

Edited by Polignac, 20 June 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#15 DEZIBAHN

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Thanks, Polignac! No offense, but I'm gonna roll solo for a while before throwing in with a unit. I take my commitments seriously, and I'd hate to sign on with a unit just to find I like another one more. I'm sure you understand... It's not you, it's me. ;)

#16 QuackAttack

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

There is no hurry to join up with a particular unit. I'm still flying only the purple eagle and drop with several units on a regular basis. You'll find invites to teams come whenever a spot opens up if your looking to team up for a drop or more.

#17 Julian Langsdorf III

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

I like to wear the purple jacket but run solo. Maybe when there is actually community warfare I'll consider joining a group, but for now its just public games for me.

#18 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:59 PM

Welcome aboard!

View PostJulian Langsdorf III, on 21 June 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

I like to wear the purple jacket but run solo. Maybe when there is actually community warfare I'll consider joining a group, but for now its just public games for me.

Julian, many of our players felt the same way for almost as long as you, but when they joined FWLM (not a unit per se) they realized how much more fun the game is with friends and team mates. We're a community, Marik in MWO for sure, but not a unit. There are units w/in the community, but no cliques, no requirements to join or commit just to drop in a team on our teamspeak with members of units. We're really the opposite of every boogey-man story of any guild/clan/corp/whatever that has ever been experienced.

#19 DEZIBAHN

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

I was rolling with a pair of unit-mates last night, and had a blast (literally and figuratively). Seems they're a new startup on a probationary period, though, so no love on the Marik website. They're sounding like my cup 'o tea!

*EDIT*

As soon as I posted this, I noticed that the post immediately after this was... The unit I was with last night! The 4th Oriente Hussars. Here's the thread link in case it moves around: http://mwomercs.com/...ars-recruiting/

Edited by DEZIBAHN, 22 June 2014 - 05:58 AM.

#20 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

Oh they're on our site, they even have channels in our TS3 server!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users