#21 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

View PostTim East, on 03 July 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

What exactly IS the max speed limit in the game in this day and age? I've had some trouble finding it.

Fastest we can currently move in a mech or fastest the engine will support effectively?

#22 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Both values are of interest to me. I know TDK is the cap on paper at the moment.

Edited by Tim East, 03 July 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#23 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

I don't know the absolute cap, but I would assume it is close to the on paper cap from the Commando family - of which, all but the 2D can hit that speed.

#24 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

The commandos can go 171.7k(?)kph except the D, which is slower.

I heard thats the fastest the game engine can go before glitches happen.
The locust is supposed to go 200?kph.

I dont even know if they will include MASC technology. Or triple strength myomers...which would rock.

#25 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 03 July 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

The locust is supposed to go 200?kph.

Most locusts go 129.6 (the stock speeds) in the lore - there was one model however, that between a 280XL engine and MASC hit 226.8 running, 302.4 MASC speeds :)

That was not until after the Word of Blake Jihad though.

#26 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

I think I would love that Locust...

#27 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

Blow out your legs in the first three steps - TT had a piloting skill role on any movement over 97 (if I remember right)
The reason most "fast" mechs do not move faster than that.

You don't have a really good pilot in that Locust, you very soon do not have a Locust, or a very expensive XL engine.

#28 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

I don't remember that check. Doesn't mean you're wrong, I just don't recall it. I remember checking for turning on pavement if you ran, moving through certain terrain types like buildings, swamps, water, and such, standing up, taking more than 20 damage, taking gyro damage, falling, needing to avoid pilot damage, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. Falling and getting up are the ones I've seen screw people. Heh.

Last match I watched had an assassin go toe-to-toe with a guillotine and win by virtue of a lucky gyro crit. Straight through the armor, bam! Never thought I'd see a 40 tonner facehug a 70 and come out only armor-stripped.

#29 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

View PostTim East, on 03 July 2014 - 08:25 PM, said:

I don't remember that check. Doesn't mean you're wrong, I just don't recall it. I remember checking for turning on pavement if you ran, moving through certain terrain types like buildings, swamps, water, and such, standing up, taking more than 20 damage, taking gyro damage, falling, needing to avoid pilot damage, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. Falling and getting up are the ones I've seen screw people. Heh.

I could be wrong, and it only applied to certain terrain types, but I am pretty sure it didn't trigger even then unless you were moving over a certain speed. ;)

#30 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Nah, you actually have to check for each hex of water you go through. Lots of checks make moving fast through water/terrain hazards really dangerous. Buildings are even worse.

#31 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Confession time (shoulda started with this - forgot to ;))
No checks at all are mentioned in what few actual rule books I have.

Koniving, Lordred and some others have been playing around with a freeware program (who's name eludes me, I've got it on a flash drive somewhere) that simulates the various rules though, and posting some of their matches - Koniving had a few where his mech fell over due to moving to fast - and that was why I mentioned it.

Edit: why exactly it fell over, I do not know, not having full access to the rules that covered that
(have been having trouble getting said program to run right)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 03 July 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#32 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

View PostAnavel Gato2, on 20 June 2014 - 07:13 AM, said:

Hi

If the clan have the better tech, why both Clan scouts can't run over 100 km/h?
Even the 55 ton medium Stormcrow runs over 90 kmh.

Spiders and Cicadas reach over 140 km/h, clan mechs are supposed to do all better.

Possible that only a clan garrison mech as the Incubus can reach 150 kmh speed?
http://www.sarna.net.../Incubus_(Vixen)

Thanks

If you add fast Clan lights, the IS lights will become extinct. Completely. Redundant!

The Clan lights are all about having a lot of gun in a small package. They're terriers. Their lack of speed I think is a good tradeoff for the firepower they can carry, and their insane flexibility.

IS lights are all about sudden, opportunity strikes. They're sharks. They can't pack much firepower, but they have the speed and mobility to make the most of what they have.

Any Clan light packing Clan weapons will dominate if they are on an even speed field. Their missile packs can be equipped as an afterthought. A Spider with max armour and max engine has just over 10 tonnes of free space for weapons. That's 2 LL with no HS, or 1 LL and +5 DHS.

Imagine a 150kph light with 2 Streaks4s, 2 CERMLAS, 2 MG and ECM. Or 4 streak 4's. Or a CERLL, 2 streak4's and ECM. Or 2 SRM6's, plenty of ammo, ECM and an ERLL or 2 ERML and a brace of machine guns. Or 4 CERMLAS, JJs and the heatsinks to use them.

The KitFox alone could invalidate every other light mech. I'm probably jumping to conclusions, but unless IS lights were somehow buffed tremendously at the same time, I can't see anything but a brief and brutal doom for the IS lights.

#33 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

I have to say I am in love with the art and stock loadout of the incubus http://www.sarna.net.../Incubus_(Vixen)

Edited by MonkeyCheese, 04 July 2014 - 06:48 AM.

#34 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:39 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 03 July 2014 - 08:00 PM, said:

Blow out your legs in the first three steps - TT had a piloting skill role on any movement over 97 (if I remember right)
The reason most "fast" mechs do not move faster than that.

You don't have a really good pilot in that Locust, you very soon do not have a Locust, or a very expensive XL engine.

Or turning on pavement.

No Nike shoes for mechs in the year 3000...

#35 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

Wait, Koniving plays MegaMek? I need to do this with him sometime.

#36 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 481 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

View PostAnavel Gato2, on 20 June 2014 - 07:13 AM, said:

Hi

If the clan have the better tech, why both Clan scouts can't run over 100 km/h?
Even the 55 ton medium Stormcrow runs over 90 kmh.

Spiders and Cicadas reach over 140 km/h, clan mechs are supposed to do all better.

Possible that only a clan garrison mech as the Incubus can reach 150 kmh speed?
http://www.sarna.net.../Incubus_(Vixen)

Thanks

I'm thinking, MASC. When it becomes available, we may see Clan Mech Variants that have MASC and as such those clan light mechs with MASC will be able to match or come close to what the Inner Sphere lights are capable of.

For those of you who don't know, MASC is a speed increase technology. When it's active, the mech using it moves MUCH faster, for a strategically useful period of time. It's not always on though, so that's it's downside... and even moreso, there are some Inner Sphere mechs that have it too so they might be EVEN FASTER.

Edited by Mad Porthos, 04 July 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#37 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

View PostTim East, on 04 July 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

Wait, Koniving plays MegaMek? I need to do this with him sometime.

Depends on his style. I used to play MegaMek and had a few matches against a guy who took HALF AN HOUR to decide on his moves. We played just Star-vs-Star but he calculated every single outcome for every single possible move. Those matches were definitely not fun.

#38 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:52 AM

I also think that the current lights aren't suited for scouting purposes, and that clan factions would need such a mech. Still dreaming of clans-tech vs is-tech in CW.

If you would like them to include a scout in a possible reinforcement package vote in this Feature Suggestion Poll. If you don't care about the reinforcement pack, but want to give us our thought on which fast clan mech you want to see next, also feel free to vote. Regards MP.

Edited by Myke Pantera, 08 July 2014 - 04:56 AM.

#39 Cattermole

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 03 July 2014 - 09:12 PM, said:

Confession time (shoulda started with this - forgot to :P)
No checks at all are mentioned in what few actual rule books I have.

Koniving, Lordred and some others have been playing around with a freeware program (who's name eludes me, I've got it on a flash drive somewhere) that simulates the various rules though, and posting some of their matches - Koniving had a few where his mech fell over due to moving to fast - and that was why I mentioned it.

Edit: why exactly it fell over, I do not know, not having full access to the rules that covered that
(have been having trouble getting said program to run right)

Standard rules speed check are for using MASC, for running (and or turning) on pavement, or for moving over your speed limit on low grav maps - yes, low gravity in TT lets you move faster.

#40 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but does not MASC have a cumulative chance per turn of use to permanently immobilize the mech using it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users