Next Commando?

37 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

have the 2D already, can't get the death knell as I hve no MC.

so...
1B,1D, or 3A??

All so similar...leaning towards 3A now that SRMs are 'fixed' and it can fix dual 6s + energys

#2 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

1b was my favorite before the DK came

#3 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

1D is basically a downgrade to the 3A in most situations, though the CT hardpoints make it slightly more durable than the other COMs.

The 3A is pretty nice, I only sold mine because all my other mechs were also SRM boats. It doesn't really have the weight for a practical 2xSRM6 build, but I can imagine it'd be fun.

1B is my favorite. My usual builds are 2xML+LL, 3xML+SRM6 and 3xML+NARC. The additional energy slot really helps with building such a light mech.

#4 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

can you share your 2ML+LL 1B build?

my one thing is that the best engine i have is an xl190, i have nothing between that and a 245

kinda thinking 2 MPL + 1 SPL + SRM6

Edited by Bigbacon, 22 June 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#5 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

I have COM-1B, COM-2D, COM-3A.
I feel these are the 3 'most different' chasis for the Commando, so most interesting to pilot overall.

#6 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostOvion, on 22 June 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

I have COM-1B, COM-2D, COM-3A.
I feel these are the 3 'most different' chasis for the Commando, so most interesting to pilot overall.

IMO, the "end state" of COM ownership is the 2D and the Knell. The 1B is a straight downgrade from the Knell (the one missile slot is nigh useless due to being 2 tube/CT) and the 1D/3A are similar, each having an argument for being better and worse than the other. So if you aren't going to spend MC, well, whatever, really. They're all kinda "meh" compared to the 2D and Knell.

#7 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hence going for the choices I did really.
I don't and won't play Commandos enough to justify buying the hero, but I'm happy with what I have.

Also, for what it's worth, an SRM6 in the 2 slot isn't bad since the SRM buff, and I find the spread a little tighter than the 6.

Tempted to try an LRM 10 (=2 MLAS) in there though.

#8 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 22 June 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

my one thing is that the best engine i have is an xl190, i have nothing between that and a 245

It really is worth taking a larger engine the commandos really shine in the 160-170kph range.

This could be to your liking http://mwo.smurfy-ne...795cc913bc808f4
It is basically a 5D spider without the ecm and jumpjets yes but having all the hardpoints in the arms makes all the difference at high speed

Or 3ml srm6 http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f09ef736ba1d2a5

Or 3ml srm4 http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b02ac329362412b

Or a more safety build with 3ml srm4 AMS http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7818afa6194c121

but keep in mind that currently the ct missiles ripple fire in groups of 2

View PostTerciel1976, on 22 June 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

The 1B is a straight downgrade from the Knell (the one missile slot is nigh useless due to being 2 tube/CT)

agreed but it is the next best thing for high speed sweaping energy legging attacks

Edited by MonkeyCheese, 22 June 2014 - 04:21 PM.

#9 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostOvion, on 22 June 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

Tempted to try an LRM 10 (=2 MLAS) in there though.

i've been tempted to do with on some of them. I had lots of odd fun with the 2x LRM5 LRMCust (locust)

#10 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 22 June 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

COM-1B

If you're interested at all in the Ravens, the 3L is a good way to get a XL210. That's what I used before I bought a 240.

I'm not brave enough to run a 190, but the build you suggested looks like it could work.

Also, I like my 2 tube missile slot. If I want to play a serious mech, it'll be a Jenner.

#11 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:27 AM

I used to use the 3A in a dual SRM6 + single Med laser config. It was ok, but very fragile because I shaved armor to fit all the gear. It also tended to run out of ammo whenever nobody would shoot at it. And it wasn't very effective, since it was pre-srm fix. Lots of missiles clipping through the enemy.

I much preferred the 1B, with its ability to mount 3 med pulse lasers. I ran a bunch of different builds with that one before deciding on the 3 mpulse build. I ran tag + large laser, tag + ssrm2 + 2 meds, PPC, others. Tag + large laser is great if you want to support people from a distance, but tends to get murdered if you end up in close quarters with anything, and is almost useless at hurting things if you don't have LRMs on your team. The mplaser build worked best for me in the most circumstances. The ssrm thing worked, but really, if you're relying on missiles for anything beyond damage supplements in that mech, you're doing it wrong.

Didn't try the 1D, since it looked similar to the 3A and I already didn't like leveling that. It may have made me a better pilot, but I hated every minute of it, lol.

#12 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

I use an XL-235 from my run with Blackjacks, so I own the 1B as a NARC platform, the 3A has two streaks and two medium lasers and is my favorite, and I frankly cant remmeber what the hell is on my 2d cause I found it hard to build correctly. You could probably get away with using that xl-190 in the 2d cause you'll have ecm, but the other ones really do best when going balls out 160-170 kph.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 23 June 2014 - 02:45 AM.

#13 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

If you are just going grind the XP for your 2D then don't get the 1B unless you are going to spend 1.5M on double heatsinks, energy weapons will overheat you pretty badly else.
Also now SRMs work, and while ammo weight is a big concern for the small CMD you can get 2 tons easily, I've leveled both 1D and 3A with two Mlas and the equivalent to srm8 very effectively.
I prefer 1D, but I think it is a bit more complex to run since it's an asimetric mech, but if you can use your iddle arm as shield it's great, 16HP shield might not seam much to an atlas, but to a CMD they are like a concrete wall,
3A is more forgiving and flexible, since you will most certainly die before you lose both lasers and you have an srm mount in an arm that while vulnerable can attack targets far up and down of you, handy at times.

#14 Gamer Princess Luna

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

The 1B is a great one, it can mount a ppc in one hand, and a sml pulse laser in the other.

#15 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

i ended up really indecisive and haven't picked up anything new....keep bouncing now with oxide, huginn, 2x, and some other stuff....

#16 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 01 July 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

i ended up really indecisive and haven't picked up anything new....keep bouncing now with oxide, huginn, 2x, and some other stuff....

Wait a little longer then to see what is in the next patch, could just be a light hero, not very likely but you never know =D

#17 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

I second the COM-1B with 2ML + 1LL + XL240. It's the poor man's Knell.

My alternate build for the 1B was 3ML + AMS + XL240 to provide some protection from Streaks and LRMS. IMO guided missiles are the single largest threat to a fast Commando.

I've also run the COM 1D and 3A as SRM boats. The flaw with the 1D is how limited it is in potential builds. The 3A is more flexible, however most of your firepower is in the arms. Lose both and you're down to a single SRM launcher. With the 1D, you can at least have 2 SRM4s as opposed to 1 SRM6 left.

I elited the 3A, but don't have full elite on the 1D.

I need to revisit these now that SRMs have been fixed. My other SRM mechs have been rocking recently.

I have not tried the 2D yet, don't feel like grinding an XL210 for one mech.

#18 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

I'll speak up for the COM-1D. It's my go-to mech at the moment. 2 SRM4s, 2 ML, and AMS, with an XL195. Having both SRMs in the same location keeps the grouping tight. Remember: a point blank SRM8 is the same as an AC-20! Not a sawed-off shotgun so much as shotgun shells in a snub-nosed pistol. You can kind of do the same in a 2D, and swap the AMS for ECM, but you only get one energy HP, and if you split your SRMs between arm and chest, you get much more spread out damage. EDIT: Also, with an SRM4+6 in the arm, the 2D fires in volleys.

Edited by BarHaid, 22 July 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#19 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

I had MC so I had gotten the TDK, and the 2D is pretty much mandatory. For my 3rd I went with the 3A. If the 1D loses its right arm, then you've got no lasers left. Also the options for missile launchers are greater for the 3A.
I went with XL235, 1DHS (mandatory), 2xMLas, 2xSSRM2, 2xAmmo, max FF armor, Endo.

#20 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

Damn cant believe I missed this commando party! Some good builds in here though partcularly the (3ML, 1 SRM4,Commando 1B)
Also the 1D is far superior to the 3A just so you are all aware.

and if you ask me the worst one is the 2D, ECM doesnt make up for way too slow for a 25 ton mech IMO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users