#21 Shimmering Sword

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostDarthPeanut, on 23 June 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

As someone said above I hope this MM addresses the issue of groups vs all solo players, which is appears it will by the various queues. I do not mind dropping against a single small group if skill level is on par with the solo players but multiple premades vs all solo players can be a bit much.

I'm not sure how it is in the lower ELO's but in the upper-high ELO's the distribution of groups per team is extremely even. I drop in a group almost always, there is often a group on the enemy team and from there it escalates evenly, 1-2, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3 premades facing off etcetera.

The problem isn't that one side has far more groups, it's that each individual group can have a massive skill disparity. My group can blow away solo players that refuse to organize, but another group can just as easily blow us away.
In my opinion, getting this weight matching and a tighter spread of ELO within a match will help a lot. Groups do a decent job already of canceling eachother out.

And a final thought. Having a solo only queue will never elimiate stomps. Most games are decided by how stupid individuals (or stupid groups) decide to act within the match. It's hard even for a coordinated 4man team to make up for a couple potatoes suiciding into the enemy team.

#22 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Command Console???

#23 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

No new knick knacks and RGB codes to separate fools like me from my money? :-P

Seriously...I am SO GLAD you are working on those things listed there and glad you are looking at it scientifically cause that's gonna lead to the best solution. Personally I'd bet dollars to cockpit items that 3x3x3x3 will work as well in the end as smoothly as saying it aloud rolls off the tongue. Wish you could speed up science by testing some alternatives (weight thresholds, formulas, other good ideas floating around).

Even if it works the fact remains that I can't have a lance (or star) of all the same mech and I think that's not OK. Personally I enjoy running in light mech wolf packs and that becomes not possible...further...if we WANTED to have two companies of assault mechs to engage in an epic battle full of carnage and mayhem...WHY THE HECK SHOULDN'T WE BE ABLE TO? 3x3x3x3 should be abandoned for this reason:

THERE ARE POSSIBLE WAYS TO BALANCE THAT DOES NOT CONSTRAIN CHOICE. That's all I've got tae say about thay-at.

#24 Codeine Radick

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 84 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty (Alberta)

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostGeeks On Hugs, on 23 June 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

No new knick knacks and RGB codes to separate fools like me from my money? :-P

Seriously...I am SO GLAD you are working on those things listed there and glad you are looking at it scientifically cause that's gonna lead to the best solution. Personally I'd bet dollars to cockpit items that 3x3x3x3 will work as well in the end as smoothly as saying it aloud rolls off the tongue. Wish you could speed up science by testing some alternatives (weight thresholds, formulas, other good ideas floating around).

Even if it works the fact remains that I can't have a lance (or star) of all the same mech and I think that's not OK. Personally I enjoy running in light mech wolf packs and that becomes not possible...further...if we WANTED to have two companies of assault mechs to engage in an epic battle full of carnage and mayhem...WHY THE HECK SHOULDN'T WE BE ABLE TO? 3x3x3x3 should be abandoned for this reason:

THERE ARE POSSIBLE WAYS TO BALANCE THAT DOES NOT CONSTRAIN CHOICE. That's all I've got tae say about thay-at.

The man brings a fair point....

I hate constraint of freedom and choice.

But a 12 Direwolf team would seem... excessive... when up against a PUG.

So wheres the balance between them.

#25 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostSgtMagor, on 23 June 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

Command Console???

TARGETING COMPUTERS AND COMMAND CONSOLE

#26 Father Dougal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 224 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostColonel Nick Nahamko, on 23 June 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

The man brings a fair point....

I hate constraint of freedom and choice.

But a 12 Direwolf team would seem... excessive... when up against a PUG.

So wheres the balance between them.

Especially given the way people load up their DW's.

#27 Wabbit Swaya

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the cockpit of a BJ, annoying the hell outta someone for wasting a medium slot.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

Sorry, what I hear when you say "why can't we have two companies of assaults clashing"
(which you can, it's called a private match)
Is "Why can 't we have a full 12 man assault premade pull a never-ending pug stomp"?
(which is what NOT having a 3/3/3/3 or any other combo of that would end up turning into)

#28 Astral Esper

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 51 posts
  • LocationChaska, Minnesota

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:55 PM

View PostGeeks On Hugs, on 23 June 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

...if we WANTED to have two companies of assault mechs to engage in an epic battle full of carnage and mayhem...WHY THE HECK SHOULDN'T WE BE ABLE TO?...

Regarding that comment, to have two companies of all Assaults, you would most likely be using private match which I believe they said wouldn't be affected by 3x3x3x3 so you would still be able to do that (the player setting up the match might need premium time, I can't remember). But I do agree, keeping people from being able to use a lance of 4 of the same weight class in public matches isn't the best option. I think it would be better to have a maximum of 4 of the same weight class per company on public drops and even the teams by tonnage so there would be some variation while still keeping the teams balanced and allowing people to drop in a lance how they see fit.

#29 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

If this works I will roll around on this update naked.

#30 Volt Corsair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 203 posts
  • LocationOutpost, Periphery (HPG down)

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

So, someone in the public test should jump off the Crimson Strait mountain with a JJ mech of each weight class to test the drop damage changes and document it. We are doing this for SCIENCE! after all. And hilarity.

#31 GhstWlkr

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSchofield Barracks, HI

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

The times listed are essentially 1300-1700 Pacific time, to "catch the most players in that time zone". You guys realize you chose the afternoon....on a Tuesday....when most folks will be at work....right?

Probably would have been better to do those times on a weekend, or later in the evening (1800-2200, early enough for our younger players to hit it before bed, and runs late enough for our older players to hit it after their young'uns go to sleep)

Just a suggestion.

#32 Wiley Coyote

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

Science made me do it...

#33 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 23 June 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

If this works I will roll around on this update naked.

TMI.

Anyways, the 3/3/3/3 rules will probably be applied to 5-10 man premade teams. So, everyone needs to be cognizant of what their teammates takes, and choose accordingly.

#34 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

View PostSephlock, on 23 June 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

I predict that the Clan Targetting Computer will be too weak to begin with, or will be fun and worthwhile until people whine and get it nerfed.

That's like saying something will either be inside or outside... well yeah.

#35 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

Yay for the rule of 3 or 4 class matchmaking! No more 60-70% assault Mech teams!!!!!!

Also testing lager groups already! Ain't gonna complain as they can't bring 8 assault mechs or 8 raven 3Ls like the old days, those were dark times indeed. This is great news for groups, hopefully all goes well and stage one of community warfare comes even sooner.

#36 Wascally Wabbit

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

Do It For Science! - Matchmaker, Equipment and Fall Damage Test
  • Matchmaker
    • Weight Class Rule of Threes, AKA 3/3/3/3 - 4x3
    • Solo Public Queue (Solo)
Does that mean a solo only queue? As in NOBODY on comms? As in NO GROUP players?

Edited by Wascally Wabbit, 23 June 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#37 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

View PostBelorion, on 23 June 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

That's like saying something will either be inside or outside... well yeah.

No, I'm saying that it will either be like the first bowl of porridge, POSSIBLY get patched soon, then left that way for a long time...

OR it will be like the second bowl of porridge, but everyone will claim it is OP and it will get nerfed to sub-first-bowl levels.

#38 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

View PostSephlock, on 23 June 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

No, I'm saying that it will either be like the first bowl of porridge, POSSIBLY get patched soon, then left that way for a long time...

OR it will be like the second bowl of porridge, but everyone will claim it is OP and it will get nerfed to sub-first-bowl levels.

There is no just right on the internet. Just right is half the people complaining one way, and half complaining the other way.

#39 Corbenik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

I agree For Science and Pipboy approves.Posted Image

#40 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

View PostBelorion, on 23 June 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

There is no just right on the internet. Just right is half the people complaining one way, and half complaining the other way.

No, Clan LRMs are just right*, with only a few crackpots QQing and thrashing and flailing in their backs like children throwing a tantrum- but that is nothing new.

*Aside from the targeting bug.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users