What Am I Doing Wrong?

43 replies to this topic

#41 Catra Lanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

Well I switched to mouse even though I like the joystick better. I can brawl, torso twist and fight at ranges up to 4-500m with the stick no problem, the problem comes with zoomed in sniping.

My damage pre-switch had climbed to about 200-300 in the Raven-2X, 200-400 in the cents and I got 996 in a Stalker (usually around 500) but that one was an outlier. After mouse it has climbed but no more than maybe 100 in each weight class.

I'll try the mouse a while and see how it goes. My K/D ratio is a measly 0.47 but it was 0.19 from the beginning with the Misery at above 1 and I am slowly advancing to a ratio of one with the cents.

Edited by Catra Lanis, 21 October 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#42 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:16 PM

Right on!!

But keep on plugging.. you may find you like the mouse more, and even more so, you will get better. Remember, even for the good players in pugs, not every match will be good. But you will know you are getting better, when even bad matches, your numbers are in the top 1/3...

Just don't get discouraged. I can recall one of the mech bay events, i lost 26 matches in a row.. with almost all complete rolls. was just a really bad day. We all have um in PUG land..

but if you are pulling 300-400 damage and a kill or two with 4-6 assists in a light, that is pulling your weight for sure.. Just remember it takes a while to dig yourself out of the hole you fell in, while learning the mech.

#43 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

What JC said with one caveat. Don't worry about kills period. Your KDR is known only to you unless you screenshot it and even then I don't personally care. Not being mean but unless its a competitive tourney its no big deal.

I actually got the Seriously?!?! achievement the other day. That's the one where you get top damage but no kills. Pretty sure I pulled my weight that day.

Same as when I get 25 dmg in a Light but I tied up 2-3 of their mechs for several minutes which let my team roll the rest then get revenge for me.

Or the day I kept three off the cap pt with LRMs so we could win with pts. Not much dmg but again tied them up for the win.

All of which led to a low score, lowered my KDR (all those LL shots added up) but we won.

In my book that's more important. Which is one reason I joined the DHB. Taking one for the team actually means something. That and they are a cool group of guys and gals. :)

#44 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

Top players use a Mouse to aim, Keyboard for almost everything else. An exceptional few use Throttle stick to get faster and better speed modulation.

Anybody who argues otherwise are welcome to stop by Mercenary Star TS and ask anybody there what they use.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users