#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

The AC/2 used to be a really fun weapon.

It fired every half-second (0.5 second cooldown), and you could chain a bunch of them together to make a hail of bullets. It was, in my opinion, the most fun weapon in the game.

Then, the Ghost Heat programming prevented players from chaining their AC/2s together to make a stream of bullets. Well, at least we still had a fairly rapid-fire weapon that felt like a real autocannon. Most autocannon in the real world fire pretty quickly. Even the Bofors 57mm fires more than 3 rounds/second (0.30 sec cooldown time).

NOW.. the AC/2 fires slowly (0.8 second cooldown now), and can't be chained... it's just not fun anymore. I know the firing rate was reduced to make it less effective (even though it was already one of the least effective weapons in the game when employed against skilled players), but it was made less effective in a way that made it no longer fun to play.

I don't get any "giggliness" out of the AC/2 anymore.

Can you please make it fire quickly again so it's fun to play? You can turn the damage down a little, but I don't think it's fair that I have to use Clan Mechs just to field a rapid-fire autocannon. Inner Sphere pilots should be able to get their Dakka Dakka on, too, ya know. :P

(note - this thread isn't about making the AC/2 better or more combat-effective... just making it more fun.)

Edited by Prosperity Park, 25 June 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#2 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

I kinda agree. It's cooler and requires less ammo. But for the weight it just seems so meh compared to other weapons.

#3 Armament

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 199 posts
  • LocationPiloting a Dire Wolf.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

Aren't they reducing the cooldown soon? I thought the recent test had AC-2 changes.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

The Nerfinator™ will not allow it.

Posted Image

#5 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostTezcatli, on 25 June 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

I kinda agree. It's cooler and requires less ammo. But for the weight it just seems so meh compared to other weapons.

Actually, it's the hottest autocannon in the game (0.5 heat per damage), and requires the same amount of ammo as all the other ones (all AC and Gauss ammo carry ~150dmg/ton).

It really needs to be made more fun, since it's only a joke weapon outside of PUG matches. Joke weapons are supposed to be silly and fun.

Even if they nerf the damage really low and made it more rapid fire, it would be made more fun. I don't care about DPS, I want more Bullets per Second.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 25 June 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#6 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

Nope. They can't and won't.

It's only a matter of time until the Clan versions are nerfed too.

#7 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

View PostSephlock, on 25 June 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Nope. They can't and won't.

It's only a matter of time until the Clan versions are nerfed too.

"...nerfed..."

You use that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means. Making a weapon less fun is not a nerf. Making it less fun is just less fun. Making it more fun without increasing its effectiveness isn't buffing, either. They can nerf something without making it less fun, too. They could reset the RoF to 2x per second and decrease the damage.

I want them to change the AC/2 without buffing it, just to make it more fun.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 25 June 2014 - 06:46 PM.

#8 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 25 June 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

"...nerfed..."

You use that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means. Making a weapon less fun is not a nerf. Making it less fun is just less fun. Making it more fun without increasing its effectiveness isn't buffing, either. They can nerf something without making it less fun, too. They could reset the RoF to 2x per second and decrease the damage.

I want them to change the AC/2 without buffing it, just to make it more fun.

I'm too lazy to draw a Venn Diagram now, so just imagine one, wherein there are two circles: One labelled "fun" and the other labelled "effective".

Both encompassed by a larger circle labelled "things PGI will patch out".

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Remove ghost heat so we can chain fire it again in rapid succession. :P

#10 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

It certainly is an irritating weapon..

#11 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 25 June 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

It certainly is an irritating weapon..

Irritating to use, you mean.

You can't even use it to pester poptarts anymore, because heaven forbid anything make their reign anything other than the easymode that LRM haters claim LURMs are.

#12 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

yeah the rate of fire nerf murdered my ac5/ac2 dpm builds. They were reliant on keeping a steady stream of shells on target making my opponents absolutely hate my guts, but more importantly ducking and not returning fire. They were awesome suppression weapons and the damage added up nicely over long games. I loved cackling like a madman at the end of 700+ damage games in my Dakka battlemaster....I think i drove it ONCE after the nerf patch and its been sitting in my garage ever since...and i sold my other two battle masters immediatly after. (hated the lrm one anyway, and the 1G is incredibly sluggish) I had a REASON for keeping my jagermechs, and was able to run my only banshee without a lame meta build...

#13 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

What was the problem with it? Boating and griefing? Drop heat scale to three or more, increase the heat penalty a bit — then restore its fire rate.

View PostProsperity Park, on 25 June 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

Actually, it's the hottest autocannon in the game (0.5 heat per damage), and requires the same amount of ammo as all the other ones (all AC and Gauss ammo carry ~150dmg/ton).

Speaking of which, since the dev team is accused of liking consistent graphs, isn't the (U)AC/5's heat a little out of line?

#14 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

View PostEast Indy, on 25 June 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

What was the problem with it? Boating and griefing? Drop heat scale to three or more, increase the heat penalty a bit — then restore its fire rate.

IIRC, the complaint was using 6 AC/2 Jagers as a sort of "earthquake simulator" on the target, i.e. giving them a crapton of cockpit shake.

Of course, the sensible solution to that would be to simply reduce the impulse dramatically, and leave the RoF. And remove it from Posted Image heat.

#15 Jolly Llama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 June 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

IIRC, the complaint was using 6 AC/2 Jagers as a sort of "earthquake simulator" on the target, i.e. giving them a crapton of cockpit shake.

Of course, the sensible solution to that would be to simply reduce the impulse dramatically, and leave the RoF. And remove it from Posted Image heat.

Since when did they ever use common sense and do the simple solution. We are lucky there is not some stupid charge up mechanic between shots that requires you to release the button to fire, after unzipping your fly and rezipping it again of course.

#16 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

I thought i'd be the LAST person to say this but lets give them time. I honestly LIKE how they introduced a lot of the clan tech without nerfing the ever loving piss out of it like I thought they were going to. I can honestly see where all the work has been going. Hopefully NOW we can get some well thought out weapon balancing for the IS side and perhaps the gauss rifle and ac2/ac5 builds will see the light of day again. Gonna have to really because now that clans are here the HAVE to introduce the mauler/zeus/king crab/ other ballistic heavy is assaults that we have been clamoring for....Not really looking foreward to driving a Mauler except with dual gauss or dual ac20 with autocannons the way they are atm.

#17 Triskelion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 226 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 June 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

I'd like this. I've been trying to find ways to use AC/2s (of any variant really, IS, clan, AC, UAC, LBX) but every time they just seem to ditch way too much in the way of weight or damage for them to be useful. Range isn't really an issue either, since you probably won't be needed to poke anything THAT far away if you aren't planning on bringing things like PPCs or Gausses anyway. At the least, I've stuffed one on to make up for the occasional awkward excess weight on a build, if missile slots aren't available (but they usually are).

#18 l33tworks

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

Lets see... It has super long barrels that block your view, weighs a lot, has a lot of heat, has low DPS, requires a lot of ammo.

Seriously WHO thinks this weapon doesn't need a buff, and why did it need 17 nerfs when no one was complaining about it? The Dakka from clans now is crazy, AC2 daka is nothing, but it still remains nerfed.

Gauss is now sucks ass to use cos of charge (the pros can still use it fine or macro mind you), Ultra AC5 is now sucks in the ass to use cos of shoot mechanic, AC2 is sucks in the ass to use cos its just too sucky, AC20 is sucks to use cos of bowling ball speed and sucky range.

Point is stop nerfing fun mechanics that were never a problem

#19 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

well Paul felt they were "overperforming" so they got Pauled tm Just like the Victor was "too maneuverable" and it got Pauled tm Really dunno where he pulls his data from but whatever. I can only hope someone on the development staff has a brain when it comes to the re balancing that SHOULD be coming now that clan mechs are here.

#20 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 25 June 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

well Paul felt they were "overperforming" so they got Pauled tm Just like the Victor was "too maneuverable" and it got Pauled tm Really dunno where he pulls his data from but whatever. I can only hope someone on the development staff has a brain when it comes to the re balancing that SHOULD be coming now that clan mechs are here.

He could always Paul It by reverting the Rof and reducing damage... TT rules do not apply since the LL does 9dmg instead of 7, so the AC/2 doesn't have to do 2/shot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users