Better Training Grounds For All

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Moving Targets In the training grounds (32 member(s) have cast votes)

would you like to see the mechs in the training grounds move around

1. yes (31 votes [93.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 93.94%

2. no (2 votes [6.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

How many of you would like a training grounds in which the mechs defend themselves?

1. Yes (28 votes [87.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. Heck no (4 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 GeneralDissarray

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

I started a topic about this already, thanks to everyone for the good feedback, but just found out how to do the poll thing so I am redoing it. how many people would like to see moving targets in the training grounds, or even full A.I where they defend themselves against your attack? I think this would help out a lot for starting players and those just wishing to hone their skills a little bit more. right now all the "training" grounds are good for are checking heat and solo movement practice. I don't know anything about programming or code writing or making video games but from what I see that is out there, this seems like an easy addition to make.

#2 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

It would be nice to have targets with ECM and/or AMS mixed in (also clan targets when clans go f2p).
It would also be nice if there was a way to choose the gamemode, e.g. in assault the bases should be there and in conquest there should be control points.

I doubt we'll get any AI soon™, but a training parcour map with popup cardboard targets and/or targets on rails would be nice.

#3 GeneralDissarray

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

or even the target mechs just walking in circles or set patterns, just some movement would be nice. My thoughts weren't even towards full A.I until others on here brought it up an I went hmmmm. but jut moving targets would be great. I would, and I'm sure I am not alone, like to actually be able to train in the training grounds. practice approach and hitting moving targets, New players especially, and even older players could benefit from that. it would make for better pilots and in turn better games, or that's the theory anyway...

#4 Gladewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

A single player campaign would be nice....in the absence of that, I suppose a more interactive test/training mode would be nice....after community warfare.

#5 GeneralDissarray

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

Gladewolf I agree, when I first heard of MWO I was really hoping that would be a part. I love the match play and group battles but once in a while..... you want a storyline, or at least I do. The training ground idea for me wasn't ment to take the place of a storyline, or single player campaign just a way to practice or learn techniques. So you could see how effective your loadouts really are. you cant do any of that with static targets. avoiding fire, leading you shot, approach angles an movement during a brawl as well as many other things that could help new or slower learning players get better, and help the vets keep sharp and develop new tricks. Yes we can play match after match and eventually pick up on it but its hard as a new players, always getting taken out early or fighting pilots much more experienced makes it hard to learn and practice, yet static target are good for.... nothing really. checking heat efficiency I guess.. That being said I agree with you though and would LOVE to see a storyline or single player mode to break up the monotony

#6 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

I like this idea, but I think we should have a choice in options for training grounds. Target practice vs. getting shot back at or not. But otherwise, I'm all for this idea.

#7 GeneralDissarray

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Good point Kalimaster, that's another good idea for this. At different times you want to practice for different reasons. Maybe do a "live simulation" mode and a "practice" mode, one where they are shooting one where they are not... then maybe also a static mode where there would be no change to the current training grounds.. all good ideas, I hope something changes in this area eventually.

#8 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

even if they stood still but they ALWAYS faced towards you and fire like turrets - that'd be much simpler to implement and a lot of fun

maybe choosing how many you want to spawn on training grounds could make it pretty hard - if the mech limit is 24 in the game engine you can choose up to 23 mechs to randomly spawn, and when you dropped in you'd have to kill all these live 'mech turrets' shooting at you - on the small maps it'd be pretty intense

Edited by JagdFlanker, 20 July 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#9 GeneralDissarray

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

JagdFlanker your right, anything would be better, but my biggest thing is moving targets, even if they were not fighting back (which I would prefer if they did) because I want to practice hitting a moving target, stalking and approaching a moving target, avoiding a moving target, things like that. ive been playing a year and still feel like I need a lot of practice and live in game fighting doesn't offer a good "practice" situation, as I am fighting for my life lol.But as Kalimaster mentioned, maybe different levels or options for the training grounds, maybe one such option for a mode as you described it as well... all are possible its just a matter of demand vs resources available and us getting the devs attention,thanks for the input!

Edited by GeneralDissarray, 24 July 2014 - 11:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users