Each Lance With Its Own Color

20 replies to this topic

Poll: Lance colors (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Should each team lance have its own color?

1. Yes (61 votes [88.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.41%

2. No (8 votes [11.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sev Malthus

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

At the current state the own lance uses a greenish blue while all other team members are just blue.

For drop leaders it would really help if each team lance uses its own blue color.

#2 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

This is bad for the colorblind players.

#3 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:28 AM

It is a good idea to add something to differentiate the different lances.
But colors are indeed problematic for the colorblind, but maybe there is another color in the blue scheme which will work for the colorblind?

Otherwise add little icons to the marker to differentiate, maybe dots, or squares?

#4 Morang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:30 AM

Good developers implement separate modes available in options for general populace and colorblind players. And I don't think that colorblinds are so numerous that devs should cater to them and simplify the color palette of the interface too much.

The thing is, PGI sucks at UI. You can take chat and game messages as examples: even with current colors there is no color-coding of authors in chat or color-coding of killers and killed in messages about mech destruction. If someone's writing in general chat, all you can see is that this is general chat (both message body and author's name are white). You have to press Tab to look if it was wrtitten by friendly or enemy. When you see the message "X has killed Y", the message is all yellow - you have to press Tab again to see who is who. In most other games since Counter Strike you will see players color coded in these circumstances. There's also still no ability to customise HUD to any extent, while it was there in the very first Crysis game (using older edition of the same engine). UI functionality is just beyond PGI's scope (Mech Bay UI 2.0 is another striking example). They've produced a cosmetic variant for Clans because it can help them sell pokemechs, but that's all. If people agree to eat current implementation, don't expect PGI to care and try to make it better, however generally accepted those options may be currently.

Voted no, because PGI.

PS. Of course, I had already suggested these features - lance colors, color-coding in chat, different map markers for different mechs, HUD customization - along with many other possible UI improvements back in... Closed Beta, IIRC?

Edited by Morang, 27 June 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#5 Sev Malthus

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

This games isn't made for color blind people in any way.
As Morang said, additional visual mode would be needed. Not sure, but Dice made a good job on Battlefield 4 for different kinds of color blindness.

View PostMorang, on 27 June 2014 - 12:30 AM, said:

Voted no, because PGI.

PS. Of course, I had already suggested these features - lance colors, color-coding in chat, different map markers for different mechs, HUD customization - along with many other possible UI improvements back in... Closed Beta, IIRC?

You voted no because PGI sucks for you? What could go wrong? I believe they have enough skill to not taking a red color for the third lance.

PS I also suggested several features in close and open beta. But then they released the game and said they don't want our feedback anymore. I stopped suggesting anything but I got the feeling PGI is more open to feedback currently.

Edited by Sev7, 27 June 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#6 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostMorang, on 27 June 2014 - 12:30 AM, said:

There's also still no ability to customise HUD to any extent, while it was there in the very first Crysis game (using older edition of the same engine)

If you are going to rip on PGI, do it properly please. The customization in Crysis went as far as changing the color and reticle. While yes, this is basic, it is also far more basic than what most players are demanding for MWO. Also, Crysis ran on Cryengine 2, which is not the same engine as Cryengine 3.

#7 Lt Badger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

good idea, blue green an e.g. purple on the map and as triangles, u can see where is which lance and u´ve not to quessit is alpha down there or maybe at least charile?

it isn´t a big problem for PGI i think

#8 Tarzilman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationRim Territories

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite feature suggestion.

#9 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:23 AM

I've often wanted this as well, to help tell the friendly bigs from the smalls on my minimap.

Doesn't have to be a different color per se, but light blue/dark blue/medium blue would work. Or having the arrows be white, black or normal color in the middle.

And FYI - color blindness affects about 8-10% of males in the population. It's pretty common, and I have friends who simply cannot play certain games due to color blindness. MWO isn't too bad for using green/red in the UI, but some games are virtually unplayable if they use red/green pretty exclusively. Makes it impossible to tell whether someone is friend or foe.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 29 June 2015 - 08:24 AM.

#10 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:33 AM

Would make is much easier to see when my 5 man group gets split into 2 lances as well.

#11 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:12 PM

View PostRyvucz, on 26 June 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

OP has a point perhaps a colored icon A, B, C blue, green, white, gold outline for lance and team command. Square or star around the triangle for command etc. A lockable tag allowing you to tag a lance mate or team mate to follow. An umlaut ( ¨ ) or Tilde (~) something along those lines.

Edited by MW222, 29 June 2015 - 04:15 PM.

#12 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:37 PM

View PostRyvucz, on 26 June 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

Why?
They would see dark grey, grey and light grey anyway.
That`s should be last of concerns.
3rd lance should have different shade at least. Never understood why they resist this simple and very good feature.
Same as with IS Clam meks names. Should be select able. Simple and so good.

#13 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:11 PM

+1

#14 boxbox

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:43 AM

This is severely needed for strategic implementation. Also please add lance PTT to supplement. Thanks.

#15 Weepy Wanebow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:52 AM

Enemies are red. Alpha lance is yellow, bravo lance is green, Charlie lance is blue.

#16 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:22 AM

Do people REALLY have trouble remembering if they are in Alpha Bravo or Charlie lance? Is it too fricking hard to hit TAB to see?

Is it too hard for the drop commander to give orders by these designations? I am puzzled because the groups I drop in tend not to have these problems...

#17 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

Its not about me. But all in freaking company dude.
Yeah I got problem hitting tab checking name each fucki/ing name here and there, remember all damn names and assign those to lances constantly in changing chaos of battlefield.
Some are so damn stone minded.

#18 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:51 PM

I'd rather see weight classes separated by color. As weights get heavier, the shade can be darker. Make lights a different shaded "L" on the map. Assaults would obviously be a different shade "A". This also makes it colorblind friendly. Lances can be such a mess sometimes it doesn't make sense to issue lance commands anyway.

#19 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:04 AM

View Postadamts01, on 30 December 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:

I'd rather see weight classes separated by color. As weights get heavier, the shade can be darker. Make lights a different shaded "L" on the map. Assaults would obviously be a different shade "A". This also makes it colorblind friendly. Lances can be such a mess sometimes it doesn't make sense to issue lance commands anyway.

Separated by shape would be better (which could be combined with different colors per lance)

Something like what WoWs does:

Spoiler

#20 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:18 AM

View PostAntecursor Venatus, on 01 January 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

Separated by shape would be better (which could be combined with different colors per lance)

Something like what WoWs does:

Letters are shapes, and are the most intuitive thing possible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users