Metagame Social Achievements

68 replies to this topic

#21 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

I would love to see more challenges, events, achievements, and whatever else might fit in. I'd rather not see this sort of thing filled in with more inane XP grinding though, and especially not in the form of lame "daily" goals which have no thought put into them or barely any reward or something.

View PostEgoSlayer, on 26 June 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

They are doing some of these things already. We do get double XP on the first win of the day in a mech. They have the give-a ways like the cockpit items, the Centurion and Thunderbolt, etc.
Just saw this one too:
Stealth Rewards

That stealth rewards thing is pretty much the epitome of /golfclap, might as well be nothing at all.

Sure it would be nice if they did more things, like double C-Bill/XP weekends but things like that kind of undermine the sales premium time.

I don't see how it would undermine premium time since combining that with 2x CB/XP would give crazy benefits.

If you mean people would be less likely to buy premium time to alleviate the crappy grind in this game, then maybe PGI should re-evaluate the value of premium time and possibly giving players options on how to use it.

But some goal type rewards for each week would give more reason to play, and the achievements are not enough and the progression on some of them is way too long to be incentive to play a couple times during the week.

If something happens at all and it ends up just being daily/weekly goals then I hope they don't suck.

Edited by Pjwned, 26 June 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#22 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

again guys, add something constructive with your snark, I don't want this to be a debate on PGI's competency, successes, or failings. Just about whether the community would like to see more of this kind of stuff.

#23 ollo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 26 June 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

PGI doesn't seem to understand the concept of giving stuff away or "loss leader". I find this especially humerous when you consider that the product that they are selling doesn't even really exist.

Once they digitally create a product, like a mech for instance, they are done. It's not as if for every mech they sell that they have physically manufacture a product, for all intents and purposes there are no "overhead" costs involved. Certainly there is an intangible rarity factor (Gold Mechs anybody?), but even at this stage they have ample product that they could give away with special events lik the OP suggests without damaging future sales.

Events like this create loyalty, interest and a "buzz" about the game and that is certainly something they should be in favor of

WARNING! Parenthesis-heavy post, just because i felt like it! :P

It sounds to me they should (have of course some years ago) hire(d) a community manager, who handles stuff like this. No, not someone who has no influence and is only there to calm the (tsunami) waves in the community because they screwed up something (again) (...bigtime!), only to offer him as a (scapegoat) sacrifice on the altar (trying to to calm the (tsunami) waves) etc.pp....

Then again, they should've also hired (years ago...):
  • a UI and Usability Expert: The UI(2.0) is still a total mess, i mean come on, you click "play now" and have to click 2(!) further times in 2 (completely) different(!!) locations to "play now"? At least they could've positioned the "OK" buttons aligned on the dialogues so you can just doubleclick!!! Better made the config-dialogues accessible via a gear-button that pops out just like the weight class percentages (even listing the currently active choices)... Most of these things are so basic i seriously think they let the programmers design the UI - which does not mean all devs design catastrophes as UI - because as a dev myself i know it takes just a little amount of user perspective... ok screw this, going off topic <_<
  • a Netcode engineer with experience in multiplayer realtime shooters: Hitting spiders, i mean come on! Enough said, (almost) successfully prevented off topic! ;)
  • capable testers that are worth their salt: Hitting spiders, i mean come on! Er, i mean CT or H hitboxes on every second newly released mech screwed up, come on! Enough said, (almost) successfully prevented off topic! :blink: Ok, one more, ECM still match-deciding most of the time after this many months because someone was inable to read specifications? Does Angel-ECM then deactivate the enemy team's EFF completely or... ok, off-topic once again, mea culpa... :rolleyes:
  • [edit] a web-designer/webmaster: because i just noticed the poorly masked smily icon rereading my post
  • 2-5 more essential positions: because of reasons! :unsure:
Oh man, i have to restrain myself from replying to posts containing most-of-the-time-obvious suggestions, or i'll just fall back into the i'm-a-complete-idiot-because-i-gave-this-painfully-incapable-company-so-much-money-mode. Starting MWOclient now as self-chastisement. :ph34r:

Edited by ollo, 27 June 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#24 ollo

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostSandpit, on 27 June 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

again guys, add something constructive with your snark, I don't want this to be a debate on PGI's competency, successes, or failings. Just about whether the community would like to see more of this kind of stuff.

Alright, to add something constructive (besides getting snarky because i always feel like i have to rub it into their faces): who t f wouldn't want more of these? It's business 101, it's F2P 101, it's psychology 101...

[edit] ...forgot marketing 101
[edit2] ...forgot a couple of other 101s i don't want to mention, so this edit is a placeholder for every other field you feel appropriate... :P

Edited by ollo, 27 June 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#25 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

I agree with you Ollo, but posting nothing but snark or too much snark just tends to get a thread or idea dismissed, that's why I'm just asking everyone to either give their support or detraction(although if you're going to say nay, I'd like to hear the reasons as well).

PGI is notorious for saying "players want" and many times I just have to say huh? Simply because I know from talking to, reading threads, and just overall paying attention to the community as a whole that it's the exact opposite.

Now let me be clear about a few things. Whenever I post a thread or idea like this I want it to be VERY clear that I am not suggesting this take priority over the development of things like CW, nor do I think things like this should have much, if any, affect on the development times of those types of features. This is simply nothing more than stat tracking which they already have in place so the groundwork is already laid, all they have to do is implement the same mechanics they do for rewarding players like they have in the past.

#26 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Just a thought, but a simple event where there's a sale AND an event would be useful.

For instance... let's say last weekend's sale was more than that. If there were some sort of "Founders mech event" where everyone had a chance to win some stuff by using all the original Founders mechs (not necessarily the Founders variant, just the Founders chassis) for some sort of mini-competition would be good.

Jenner vs Hunchback vs Catapult vs Atlas brackets.

For each mech, if you win 10 matches, you get a free mechbay (for each mech, so 4 mechbays total)... win 25 matches, you get a free Champion mech (or just the standard variant of the Champion mech for free). Winning your own bracket would get you the hero chassis of each mech.... or at least the Champion. That's how one would want to do this.

This gives some people the opportunity to look at chassis/mech balance (*cough* Paul *cough*) while allowing giving people an enjoyable reason to spend their time playing. It's a win-win for everyone.

It requires some effort on PGI's part (on the server side scripting) but otherwise it allows people to play and experiment with those mechs (I mean, they are cheaper, therefore more spending, C-bills or MC) due to the sale and it helps broaden people's perceptions of each mech.

So... yea, I don't see this happening.

Even a "small event" like back when we had the Thunderbolt/Centurion mech giveaways... you could apply a smaller subset of that idea and it would easily promote activity for those mechs involved.

Too many ideas... so much squandered...

#27 Blacksoul1987

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

I don't see how an idea like this could be bad. double c-bill weekends would be nice as well. I would like an event where you get rewarded for slaying dragon slayers :P

#28 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Great ideas guys. One thing Warthunder does is run events for specific planes and countries. So you might have to shootdown xx number of planes from a specific country or even a specific plane.

Stuff like this would help add a dimension of immersion in my opinion. Davion weekend! All players who manage to kill xx (D) variants get a reward.
All players who use a (D) variant for xx matches get a reward. Stuff like that. If and when faction warfare becomes a factor, it could go even further and be something like
Assault on Davion!
All players in the Davion faction gain xx bonus for xx matches
All players who manage to defeat Davion forces gain xx bonus for xx matches.

#29 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

They really need to abuse exert their power to foster LUNACY!

Like an epic "get the most kills with flamers" event! Reward for the top 10 scorers: A blue flame for their flamers!

Or "Machine Gun Madness"! Get the most kills using only machineguns (meaning you only have machineguns and MG ammo on your mech- you can't even have AMS or ECM or BAP, NOTHING! Reward: a golden machinegun emblem.

#30 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

These are some great ideas. I think they should have like 2-3 monthly challenges and 2-3 easier weekly challenges, and 1-2 weekend challenges. Rewards can be cbills, xp, GXP, MC, a mech, a mechbay, colors, patterns, cockpit items (they should expand more here in the future before giving them away, unless they aren't purchaseable). Maybe even something as valuable as a module (still need to unlock it if you haven't). In the short term, they could give away clan mechs (maybe one variant of each chassis for each monthly challenge!) for those who didn't buy into them. Other players could sell them back. Even awarding weapons wouldn't be terrible though most people already have what they need. Then again, they can always sell it. Once upon a time, I played Star Trek online and some of the equipment there can change the exterior look of your character or ship, so maybe a custom skin, or decal or some kind of detail piece that can be equiped to your mech (nothing extreme, and nothing that changes hitboxes). I don't see them doing this, and i'm not sure if it would look good (custom detail), but just throwing ideas out there.

#31 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

It amazes me how the 20494785th "LRMs are op thread" gets bombarded with views and replies but stuff like this doesn't seem to get more support... :blink:

#32 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Probably because they don't expect any changes in this department.

#33 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostSandpit, on 27 June 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

It amazes me how the 20494785th "LRMs are op thread" gets bombarded with views and replies but stuff like this doesn't seem to get more support... :blink:

Lurms are sensitive to some people.

Seriously though, some people don't understand what "community involvement" requires to keep people happy and playing. Content (more mechs and maps) are not enough at times to keep people content.

Edited by Deathlike, 27 June 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#34 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 27 June 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

Probably because they don't expect any changes in this department.

Ok look at it this way.

If you were developing this game and you reviewed the forums for some feedback would you think THIS would be a higher priority or at the very least something the community would really want compared to the "nerf this" "buff that" "clans are op" threads?

We can't expect PGI to put higher priorities on things like this if the community itself won't even turn out to respond with a simple "good idea, we need this pgi" but can surely post 247527517843 times in 50 duplicate threads posting the same thing over and over again.

Sorry for the rant, it's just frustrating to watch the community complain about not getting stuff like this but then not showing any support to get PGI to pay attention. 1000 voices spread out periodically are easily drowned out by 10 voices repeating the same threads 20 times clogging the front page and divertng attention away from other ideas.

#35 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

View PostSandpit, on 27 June 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

Ok look at it this way.

If you were developing this game and you reviewed the forums for some feedback would you think THIS would be a higher priority or at the very least something the community would really want compared to the "nerf this" "buff that" "clans are op" threads?

We can't expect PGI to put higher priorities on things like this if the community itself won't even turn out to respond with a simple "good idea, we need this pgi" but can surely post 247527517843 times in 50 duplicate threads posting the same thing over and over again.

Sorry for the rant, it's just frustrating to watch the community complain about not getting stuff like this but then not showing any support to get PGI to pay attention. 1000 voices spread out periodically are easily drowned out by 10 voices repeating the same threads 20 times clogging the front page and divertng attention away from other ideas.

You need to get the outrage machine going.

Give in to the evil, Sandpit. It's the only way.

#36 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostSephlock, on 27 June 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

You need to get the outrage machine going.

Give in to the evil, Sandpit. It's the only way.

I don't think outrage gets a response from the devs regardless of thsoe who think "20 dupe threads and wailing and flailing about" works. It simply doesn't. Getting 20 pages of people popping in saying "yes I want this" is a much better route.

#37 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 21 July 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

More official events are en route. For now, please do keep in contact with me with regards to Community Created Events and I will be promoting these in the meantime. :)

Soon™ eh?

From the get go, PGI was all about, "We're going to run the show."

Now, "Official" events are just .... soon™ with an aside that you will be promoting "these [other] events."

I for one would like to see either (1) PGI take the ball and run with it once and for all (a la CW that has been vapor so far), or (2) let the community run a quasi-official MPBT:3051 event that all of us can partake of, without having to log in / register with 3rd parties.

Get it together, please. Stop washing and start drying.

IOW: Sh*T or get off the pot.

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 21 July 2014 - 04:53 PM.

#38 vettie

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

for some time I have thought (and posted in the suggestions area) that there should be something as simple as a loyalty reward.
that is, log in a play 3 to 5 matches (some people are constrained on their play time) every day.

10 successive days get you X reward
20 successive days gets you 2X reward
30 successive days gets you 3x reward plus a cockpit item
45 successive days gets you 4.5x rewards, plus cockpit item, plus a mech bay
60 successive days gets you 6x rewards, plus cockpit item, plus mech bay, plus a free mech (Heros excluded)

The reward could be something very simple like CBills or MC
So the more you play, the more you get and ALL you have to do is PLAY

#39 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

View Postvettie, on 21 July 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

for some time I have thought (and posted in the suggestions area) that there should be something as simple as a loyalty reward.
that is, log in a play 3 to 5 matches (some people are constrained on their play time) every day.

10 successive days get you X reward
20 successive days gets you 2X reward
30 successive days gets you 3x reward plus a cockpit item
45 successive days gets you 4.5x rewards, plus cockpit item, plus a mech bay
60 successive days gets you 6x rewards, plus cockpit item, plus mech bay, plus a free mech (Heros excluded)

The reward could be something very simple like CBills or MC
So the more you play, the more you get and ALL you have to do is PLAY

good idea

#40 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

Oh, you mean like LOYALTY POINTS

You know, those things that were a major selling point of the Phoenix pack, that have never been delivered, but it turns out that those things were always in the game from the start after all, but they just don't work. Per Ekman.

Don't make me laugh.

NikoLIE is just carrying on with the same ol' same ol' company line:

"SOON"™

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 21 July 2014 - 05:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users