• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

Something that has always been sorely lacking, or poorly conducted (in the case of hunt a dev, you've got to be VERY lucky to even find one, THEN be lucky enough to kill one, THEN get a reward, so it's not something that' open to everyone regardless of "everyone can participate, AND it simply throws any kind of teamwork and strategy out the window because everyone just wants that kill) is PGI sanctioned events.

I don't mean tournaments. I mean things like this
http://warthunder.co...ng-to-be-hot-en

Events like this get players to login, spend money, play the game, and feel like they've accomplished something other than the rinse and repeat of just another deathmatch for the millionth time.

I've been here since CB and have yet to see an event like this. Nothing special about it really, no super special conditions, just login, play, and bam you get some rewards. You want to attract new players, stave off your player base getting fatigued with tedious and repetitive gameplay? This is how you begin to do that.

When PGI went from CB to OB, nothing. No special events, nothing.
When PGI went from OB to "launch", nothing. A party for a select few that 99% of the player population had no chance of participating in, except watching it stream on twitch.
When Phoenix Pack was realsed, nothing.
When clans were released, nothing.

I can count on one hand the number of times there's been a "special" event run by PGI. Stuff like this costs you nothing, takes no special tournament rules and monitoring, it doesn't just give stuff away for logging in once.

It actually gives more reason to play during that event.

What do you guys think? Do we need stuff like this in MWO with rewards, etc.?

#2 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

You didn't get a free Centurion, or Thunderbolt, or 'Mech bay? o_O

#3 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

Would you rather they play the game and do events, or actually do their jobs and make the game better? <_<

#4 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

View PostThanatos676, on 26 June 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

Would you rather they play the game and do events, or actually do their jobs and make the game better? <_<

tell me how handing out rewards to players how play 10 games after a day is "stopping development"

If you're going to make an argument please make it something a little more legitimate...

There's no reason in the world they can't do stuff like this AND still develop the game.

View Post1453 R, on 26 June 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

You didn't get a free Centurion, or Thunderbolt, or 'Mech bay? o_O

which has what to do with running more events like what I suggested?

Again guys, keep it on topic. If you don't like the idea that's fine but state WHY you don't like it.

"You didn't get a free mech 8 months ago?" is not feedback...

#5 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

One other thing in response to Thanatos

Dude, if you read my post I specifically said they need events that are NOT driven by "hunting devs" and them playing the game....

#6 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

Who is actually in charge of community events like special weekends or tournaments? Is anyone? It seems like something that should be someone's full time job.

I have a couple friends that are Community Managers or Events Coordinators and literally all they do all day is think up and implement ideas to engage their respective communities.

Edited by Sug, 26 June 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#7 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

View PostSug, on 26 June 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

Who is actually in charge of community events like special weekends or tournaments? Is anyone? It seems like something that should be someone's full time job.

That's actually a good question. That might be a good question for Niko. I'll hit him up on Twitter. Sounds like it could be a community manager type deal but I honestly have no idea

#8 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostSandpit, on 26 June 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

That's actually a good question. That might be a good question for Niko. I'll hit him up on Twitter. Sounds like it could be a community manager type deal but I honestly have no idea

Cause now I just have the feeling the Marketing people decide when it's necessary to appease the unwashed masses and keep them from rioting.

#9 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

I agree, alot more needs to happen event wise.
Simple is fine with me as well.

Such events like:

x2xp weekends.
x2cbill weekends.
light hunting/survival weekend. kill 10 lights or survive 5 games in a light. +mechbay or 100k-500k cbills whatever really.
med see above...
heavy see above...
assault see above...
10k damage weekend. get 10k damage in a weekend +cbill or +premium time or +mechbay etc as prize.
IS weekend win 10 games in IS mech.
Phoenix weekend win 10 games as above
clan weekend as above

Select weapon weekends
5 or 10 kills (insert selected weapon)
4000 damage (insert selected weapon)

Headshot weekend lol!!!!

#10 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

It's not that easy doing official sanctioned PGI events. They have to work around the NGNG guy's schedules. <_<

#11 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

guys I love snark as much as the next person but can you end your snark with "yes we want more of this!" or "no we don't like this idea" (although if you're going to express negativity about an idea that does nothing but promote community, popularity of the game, increases longevity, etc. I'd also like to know why)

Remember, (regardless of personal opinion on whether PGI listens or not) if you want a dev team to consider something you've got to show support for it from the unwashed masses <_<

#12 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

PGI doesn't seem to understand the concept of giving stuff away or "loss leader". I find this especially humerous when you consider that the product that they are selling doesn't even really exist.

Once they digitally create a product, like a mech for instance, they are done. It's not as if for every mech they sell that they have physically manufacture a product, for all intents and purposes there are no "overhead" costs involved. Certainly there is an intangible rarity factor (Gold Mechs anybody?), but even at this stage they have ample product that they could give away with special events lik the OP suggests without damaging future sales.

Events like this create loyalty, interest and a "buzz" about the game and that is certainly something they should be in favor of

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

Sounds like a combination of acheivements and the website challenges.
So...something they already have the infrastructure for.

Something like a weekly challenge would be a good idea.
Some examples:
Use only ballistic weapons for 10 games
Kill 20 clan mechs
Play 20 matches without an AMS
Stand over each cap point in conquest for at least 10 seconds
Use an ECM capable mech without equipping ECM for 15 matches
Use an ECM mech exclusively in counter mode (would have to give users enough time to switch modes at the start of a match to mark as successful)
Narc 10 enemies
Get over 70% accuracy using PPCs (for the week? a day?)

#14 Dymlos2003

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

Have you guys not been playing for the past couple months? They've done this stuff. Would it be awesome for more sure!

#15 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

View PostSandpit, on 26 June 2014 - 04:59 PM, said:

guys I love snark as much as the next person but can you end your snark with &quot;yes we want more of this!&quot; or &quot;no we don't like this idea&quot; (although if you're going to express negativity about an idea that does nothing but promote community, popularity of the game, increases longevity, etc. I'd also like to know why)

Remember, (regardless of personal opinion on whether PGI listens or not) if you want a dev team to consider something you've got to show support for it from the unwashed masses ;)

Honestly, any kind of activity that involves the community is good. While they can't be giving away hero mechs every week, having events every week that gave away small amounts of MC would be very welcome.

Or we could get CW. You know, that old thing.

Sorry, couldn't keep the snark out. <_<

#16 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

View PostDavers, on 26 June 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

Honestly, any kind of activity that involves the community is good. While they can't be giving away hero mechs every week, having events every week that gave away small amounts of MC would be very welcome.

Or we could get CW. You know, that old thing.

Sorry, couldn't keep the snark out. <_<

I agree
Doesn't have to be a hero mech or mech bay every time but even giving out cbills or gxp or extra mech xp, stuff like this doesn't cost them anything and helps hook new players, bring back old, and make present players happy all while reducing the "grind" feeling.

Know why I make sure to log into warthunder EVERY day? It's because that first match of the day I get double xp and that goes a loooooooooong way to leveling up planes, researching new ones, etc. No this isn't a "warthunder rules and mwo suxxors" post, I'm simply explaining why, even when I don't always "feel like it", I log in and play a few games. By doing that for each country, warthunder helps ensure I'm going to try my best to play at least 5 matches. That's only if I win the first match of every country.

P.S.

Thanks everyone for making sure to include something constructive with the snark ;) lol

#17 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

View PostSandpit, on 26 June 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

Something that has always been sorely lacking, or poorly conducted (in the case of hunt a dev, you've got to be VERY lucky to even find one, THEN be lucky enough to kill one, THEN get a reward, so it's not something that' open to everyone regardless of "everyone can participate, AND it simply throws any kind of teamwork and strategy out the window because everyone just wants that kill) is PGI sanctioned events.

I don't mean tournaments. I mean things like this
http://warthunder.co...ng-to-be-hot-en

Events like this get players to login, spend money, play the game, and feel like they've accomplished something other than the rinse and repeat of just another deathmatch for the millionth time.

I've been here since CB and have yet to see an event like this. Nothing special about it really, no super special conditions, just login, play, and bam you get some rewards. You want to attract new players, stave off your player base getting fatigued with tedious and repetitive gameplay? This is how you begin to do that.

When PGI went from CB to OB, nothing. No special events, nothing.
When PGI went from OB to "launch", nothing. A party for a select few that 99% of the player population had no chance of participating in, except watching it stream on twitch.
When Phoenix Pack was realsed, nothing.
When clans were released, nothing.

I can count on one hand the number of times there's been a "special" event run by PGI. Stuff like this costs you nothing, takes no special tournament rules and monitoring, it doesn't just give stuff away for logging in once.

It actually gives more reason to play during that event.

What do you guys think? Do we need stuff like this in MWO with rewards, etc.?

War Thunder does this well, but from PGI i'd rather see things along the lines of:

"MACHINE GUN FRENZY!

For this weekend only, receive a FREE MECHBAY if you complete more than 10 public matches in any mech loaded only with machine guns!

Want more? Fine! You will also receive TRIPLE GXP for the chassis you pilot whilst unleashing furious torrents of dakka!"

Replace the above with any one weapon system - AC20 weekend would be hilarious.

#18 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 26 June 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

War Thunder does this well, but from PGI i'd rather see things along the lines of:

"MACHINE GUN FRENZY!

For this weekend only, receive a FREE MECHBAY if you complete more than 10 public matches in any mech loaded only with machine guns!

Want more? Fine! You will also receive TRIPLE GXP for the chassis you pilot whilst unleashing furious torrents of dakka!"

Replace the above with any one weapon system - AC20 weekend would be hilarious.

I don't care what the rewards are, just that they start doing stuff like this in general.

They could also use this in conjunction with 3/3/3/3 to help encourage variety in mech selection.

Play 10 games in a locust 10MC or a mechbay or 1,000,000 cbills,

stuff like that would do a lot more for diversity on the battlefield than any mechanic they can use to try and coerce by limiting options with wait times.

Again, I think running any kind of event would be good but with this game in particular there are some very interesting things that could be done to encourage and reward instead of discourage and coerce.

#19 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

View PostSandpit, on 26 June 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

I don't care what the rewards are, just that they start doing stuff like this in general.

They could also use this in conjunction with 3/3/3/3 to help encourage variety in mech selection.

Play 10 games in a locust 10MC or a mechbay or 1,000,000 cbills,

stuff like that would do a lot more for diversity on the battlefield than any mechanic they can use to try and coerce by limiting options with wait times.

Again, I think running any kind of event would be good but with this game in particular there are some very interesting things that could be done to encourage and reward instead of discourage and coerce.

How about a contest where they give us a name and we have to design a mech around it?

Behold, THE LOLCAT!

#20 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

They are doing some of these things already. We do get double XP on the first win of the day in a mech. They have the give-a ways like the cockpit items, the Centurion and Thunderbolt, etc.
Just saw this one too:
Stealth Rewards

Sure it would be nice if they did more things, like double C-Bill/XP weekends but things like that kind of undermine the sales premium time.

But some goal type rewards for each week would give more reason to play, and the achievements are not enough and the progression on some of them is way too long to be incentive to play a couple times during the week.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users