I Love You, Atlas, But You Hurt Me So

5 replies to this topic

#1 Fleeb the Mad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:28 AM

I recently took advantage of the Atlas sale to acquire some companions for my dearest AS7-D(F), but I find I'm in a new and unexpected world of hurt on my way to unlocking elites. Deep down, I realized I had buyer's remorse and it was troubling. I regret buying an Atlas? I knew there was something terribly wrong and I've got to fix it.

To summarize things succinctly, I've lost my way. I don't know what to do with these mechs in a world chock full of clanners.

So, where is the Atlas most effective these days? Perhaps more importantly, how does it get there?

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:31 AM

get your butt in the DDC, whenever ther eis one, I try to stick with it in my Nova. Unfortunately, when they will seperate Clanners and IS, I can not do this anymore.

#3 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:31 AM

This thread still largely applies - http://mwomercs.com/...-with-the-atlas

#4 M3 SABLE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:18 AM

Don't go for long range atlas, you will lose to all the poptarts, other IS Heavies/Assaults, and clanners once they tear off your torso.

You too need balance your firepower between right and left torsos, so that you are useless only after you lose both.

Go for extremely punchy close range weapons, and always think about your positioning. Atlas is all about timing and positioning.

I ram the hell out of clanners with 3xSRM 6, 2x ML, 1xAC20 loadout in my DDC.

And in the beginning of the week, I even managed to solo against full SUmmoner and Warhawk in a legit Conquest brawl.

Yes, Atlas is far from what it used to be, but you are still viable, strong, iron wall that takes attention, makes people panic in close combat, and helps your team just with the presence.

Atlas D is a good zombie because of its CT lasers imo. Keep that in mind. And K can actually be useful due to insane amount of lrm and clan lrm at the moment.

I still very much enjoy Atlases, I wish i had your founder's skin for my D variant.

Edited by Unikron, 28 June 2014 - 01:28 AM.

#5 Zelator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

I'm still using my founders Atlas with the same build iv'e used since day 1. I'ts still very effective and fun to play.

2xLBX10, 2xLRM15 with artemis and 4x medium lasers. 300 std engine. Put the LBX ammo in the legs and the LRM ammo in the side torso.

My strategy for this mech is basically make sure to use all the LRM ammo at the beginning of the match as you slowly stomp your way to the front line, thus reducing the chance for someone to explode your ammo in the subsequent brawl and doing respectable damage with the missiles instead of being a liability at the start. By the time you get to the front in most games I find the team has done a decent job opening up the armor on some of the enemy mechs, this is where the dual LBX10 really shines and its surprisingly easy to take down a couple of mechs. If you find theres no open weakspots use the medium lasers to make some.

Another option is to replace the LRM15's with SRM6's for a ridiculous amount of brawling power, however I find it boring since you spend the first 5 minutes walking slowly to the front line, and also leaves you vulnerable to long range weaponry.

#6 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostFleeb the Mad, on 27 June 2014 - 12:28 AM, said:

I recently took advantage of the Atlas sale to acquire some companions for my dearest AS7-D(F), but I find I'm in a new and unexpected world of hurt on my way to unlocking elites. Deep down, I realized I had buyer's remorse and it was troubling. I regret buying an Atlas? I knew there was something terribly wrong and I've got to fix it.

To summarize things succinctly, I've lost my way. I don't know what to do with these mechs in a world chock full of clanners.

So, where is the Atlas most effective these days? Perhaps more importantly, how does it get there?

d-dc has a cloak of skill.TM

Also I literally just made a post regarding viable builds here:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3561279

Edited by Battlecruiser, 15 July 2014 - 04:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users