25 replies to this topic

#1 Grimbloodz

• PipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

What are players opinions on the Trebuchet? And how is it best used? Snipe and Fire support?
What experiences have players had piloting this 'Mech?
Cheers all

#2 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Trebuchet is one my favourite mechs,definite underdog,but thats a good thing imo.

7K with AC20 is the kryptonite for slow clan mechs.

5J is a nice jumping laserboat

3C is ultrafast light hunter or harasser.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

Mixed feelings on it. Definitely not ideal for new mechs but with recent SRM fixes it does quite a bit better.

I like them a lot more on tabletop, particularly for the full circle radar as opposed to the sensors most mechs have. Shame it's not reflected here.

My favorite is the 7k.

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 July 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

My favorite is the 7k.

Well yeah!

You love shoving bizarre guns into insane variants! :)

#5 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

Trebs are…weird.

They have the speed and agility to go fast-strike Surmbombing, and in fact seem almost ideal for it on paper with high-but-not-too-high engine caps and plenty of missile hardpoints. The issue is that their hitboxes tend to really let them down in close combat. Trebuchets lose their arms fast, and most of them tend to focus most, if not all, of their weapons in the arms. With the obvious exception of the 7K, but the 7K also lacks jump jets, which are a pivotal advantage of the JJ-capable examples of the chassis.

The Trebuchet’s classic role of mobile fire support is something it can still do well, but it starts to get pretty tight fitting everything a proper Lurmboat needs onto a Treb. You’re generally going to be sitting on a 250XL for it and using anywhere between 25 to 30 ALRM tubes, and even then you’ll have to be a bit picky with your shots. I can, and have, done it to the tune of 500-odd damage pretty regularly, with a couple of 600+ games thrown in, but it tends to be pretty reliant on your team not self-derpstructing around you.

There’s been a few rumbles here and there with Trebuchets making interesting laser-centric ‘Mechs, and there I can agree. A few guys have run quad large lasers on the 5J to some moderate success, but it is hot as hell and requires some serious cramming to get them all in there. A more typical armament of two larges and three mediums on the 5J can offer a pretty solid blend of range, firepower and jump-assisted maneuverability, but it’s a narrow niche at best.

Not going to lie to you, man – most folks are of the opinion that anything the Trebuchet can do, the Griffin can do with five more tons, two more jets, much better hitboxes and some of the best agility/twist characteristics in the game. The grounded Trebs are no slouches with the twisting, but the Griffins don’t need to be grounded to shoot missiles out their own bums.

As a man with multiple mastered Trebuchets as well as a Loup de Guerre in his hangar…I’d start with Griffins, if I was fresh off a Cadet bonus and wanted a fast, missile-centric medium. Still really regret missing out on the Saber ‘Mechs when they were available for cheap.

#6 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

honestly, like any mech they can work, when loaded out, and played right......

If you want a fast, LRM skirmisher... or a hit and run short range mech... it is for you...

#7 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

The best use? Long range mobile fire support. Any other build is done better on other mediums.

#8 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

I like the 7M with two LRM15's, 6-7 tons of ammo, two ML, one Tag. It's like a smaller C1 Catapult...It's the best, smallest LRM boat I've managed to make.

#9 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Ever since the SRM fix, I've been doing quite well in mine equipped with four SRM6s. Your mileage may vary.

#10 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

trebby 3c with the big engine and 4 mpls is FUUUUN! I love watching lights think they can get away and the comments you get when you're stomping around at 140 are priceless

#11 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

Got my 5J. And the hero one. Don't run them really often since I run my griffins more. But still good mechs. Which I have a soft spot for Since I started with those.

Unfortunately that was before ghost heat and 6 PPC stalkers rules the land. (boy I died a lot in them then)

Both run lurms and lasers. And usually empty the tubes in them before closing. While the can brawl decently. There are better mechs for that.

But still. They are fun on occasion. and I won't be selling the two I have off ever.

#12 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

I treat mine as a giant Spider, it's an excellent jump jet brawler. It goes very fast with a modest engine(98KPH with XL280 and 106KPH with XL300) and can pack quite a punch with ML, SSRM2 and SRM combos. It's a really annoying mech to fight against when you're in a slow mech, I love it.

7M and 5J are my favourites. Loup de Guerre is also a very punchy brawler after the SRM hit registration fixes. It's not my best demonstration, but here's an ancient(~6 months old) demonstration:

https://www.youtube....Ytgp42gQc#t=144
and a guide about this build: http://raksarmory.bl...azy-flying.html

I never put LRMs on my Trebs, they just don't have the tonnage to carry a decent amount of LRMs. It's best done on 55 tonners like the Kintaro or the Griffin. Plus, LRMs force you to go slow and a slow Treb is one of the easiest mechs to kill.

#13 chrx

• PipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWhite Death Mercenary Company

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:30 AM

Griffins have made the missile-focused Trebuchets totally obsolete. Five tons makes a big difference especially for LRM builds. Griffins also have great agility and have more torso mounted weaponry - trebuchets lose their weapon arms very fast if when fired upon. Of course you can still do well with trebuchets, but in most cases you'd do even better with a 55-tonner.

7K is about the only reason to take TBT instead of GRF, as its torso mounted hardpoints and shield arms make it a nice brawler with AC/20 and two medium lasers. But now as SRMs are fixed you can also brawl with SRM griffins, and for ballistic builds shadowhawks are superior to every other medium.

#14 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:55 AM

Trebuchet-7K: Essentially the “poor man’s” arena style Yen-Lo-Wang and packs a handy dandy AC/20 plus two Medium Lasers.

TBT-7M “Jump NARC”, LRM Support

https://docs.google.....g2a77b6ed4_324

Edited by Kin3ticX, 09 July 2014 - 04:03 AM.

#15 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

The 7K was the second mech i bought and the first and only mech i sold, simple because it can't do anything a Shadow Hawk can't to better. The lack of JJ really lets it down (literally).

Still, since i leveled the 7K to basics, and the Loup-de-Guerre looks cool, has JJ and a nice engine, i bought it and equipped it like this. Although i usually mislike streaks, this makes a nice light hunter and is actual fun to play. Again, there are other chassis, that can run this sort of build just as good, or even better (dunno) but i could think of better builds for those mechs, so i left this to the TBT.

Apart from the LG, the 7M and 5J could be viable due to their JJs, which aren't available on any other 50t IS Mech. Haven't decided which one of those two i will use to elite this chassis though. Probably 7M.

Edited by Myke Pantera, 10 July 2014 - 03:00 AM.

#16 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

Personally, I've got a serious soft spot for my 7M. Got her kitted out like this, and have some very fond memories of going between 750 and 850 damage on her fairly regularly. The Griffin's a good 'Mech - no doubt about that - but I haven't sunk my teeth into them yet.

#17 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:32 AM

View PostGrimbloodz, on 03 July 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

What are players opinions on the Trebuchet? And how is it best used? Snipe and Fire support?
What experiences have players had piloting this 'Mech?
Cheers all

I didn't this post before, my fault.
I agree with 1453 R.
But still I can tell something, maybe for recruits searching the forum for info about trebbies.
Trebbies are support mechs, here and in BT too.
If you want to be a super-hero, choose another medium (shadowhawk H2, my favorite).

With Trebbies you must understand what is going on and help the team.

1) TBT-3C with LRM and 4 ML (and TBT-3M with more lrm and less ml): pure support mech.
I pilot them for relax, leaving the team for the hard work. Decay and adv sensor range work here too, not only in lrm boat.

2) TBT-LG.
More lrm is good.
But with this I have very good time as "hit and run". A mech with 4srm6+2pml and 100 kph hurts.
But remember: a trebby is fragile. Choose your victim when it is engaging another mech. And then keep running, cover, etc.
Again, don't act like a super-hero.

Happy hunting!

#18 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 24 August 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:

I didn't this post before, my fault.
I agree with 1453 R.
But still I can tell something, maybe for recruits searching the forum for info about trebbies.
Trebbies are support mechs, here and in BT too.
If you want to be a super-hero, choose another medium (shadowhawk H2, my favorite).

With Trebbies you must understand what is going on and help the team.

1) TBT-3C with LRM and 4 ML (and TBT-3M with more lrm and less ml): pure support mech.
I pilot them for relax, leaving the team for the hard work. Decay and adv sensor range work here too, not only in lrm boat.

2) TBT-LG.
More lrm is good.
But with this I have very good time as "hit and run". A mech with 4srm6+2pml and 100 kph hurts.
But remember: a trebby is fragile. Choose your victim when it is engaging another mech. And then keep running, cover, etc.
Again, don't act like a super-hero.

Happy hunting!

Perfectly valid points, these. It'd be a good thing for newbies who are looking for a solid 'Mech to heed them. You *can* play hopscotch over enemies in a brawl, but much more often than not, it ends up with you face-first in the ground after getting slapped out of the air. It requires a lot of practice, and in regards to that, a lot of death and failure. It's worth it, I think, if you can master it, but it's not easy.

#19 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

One of Trebuchet's issues is that almost everything it can do, Griffin can do better, it's like next gen Trebuchet. Well, except the ballistic build.

That said, Trenchbucket is still good. I've leveled most of mine after arrival of Clans and it went surprisingly smoothly. SRM jump brawlers, lurmishers or top speed hunters, they can perform pretty well. They do lose some of their hardpoints easily, but only some, and they still leave enough in torsos to work with.

#20 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

i ran ac/20 in side torso and 2 srm6s in arm for a treb build....was fun as ****

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users