#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

Greetings MechWarriors,

There has been concerns raised regarding players in groups being split into different lances.
This occurence is exclusive to the group queue as a result of the method in which the matchmaker puts together teams.

An example case would be in a setup including a group of 4 players, two groups of 3 and a group of 2. The group of 4 would occupy the Alpha lance. The two groups of 3 would occupy the Bravo and Charlie lance. This would leave a single open space in each of the Bravo and Charlie Lances.

In this situation, the group of 2 must be split to fill up those individual spaces in Bravo and Charlie lances. The system always breaks apart the smallest group, if it must.

The above could have also happen under the old matchmaker and did so under less frequent circumstances. The additional matchmaking conditions in this iteration means that it will be a more frequent occurrence. A more common example would be the addition of Teams of 5-10, where any team of such size must be split between lances of 4.

#2 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

People couldn't figure this out on their own? o_O

Don't even remotely mean to sass you, Niko. Just boggles my mind that folks are apparently incapable of basic math. Just...dang, man.

#3 Slepnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 723 posts
  • Locationyelm washington

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

I don't think it mattered as much before they split the drop zones up by lances. now you have to find certain team members you may need to link up with.

#4 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Bigger issue for us is that our 10-man group is shifted all around, so you have to spend the first 30-60 seconds reorganizing everyone, IF the two man doesn't grab lead from you first.

Edited by Cimarb, 03 July 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#5 Hellcat420

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

this is bad. I do not drop in a group to be put in a lance full of derps on the other side of the map from my friends. your new matchmaker is garbage. it also discourages teamwork.

Edited by Hellcat420, 03 July 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#6 RAM

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,018 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

This is so dumb I cannot be bothered to properly reply.

#7 Zfailboat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 03 July 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

Keeping in mind that we have a limit of three lances and four players per lance, and that we also want to keep matchmaking within acceptable time parameters: I'd invite you to offer a suggestion of how you would rather see this implemented.

The problem isn't that you put people in different lances, it's that the spawn points on some maps on Skirmish are just horrible. EG River city skirmish is totally out of place and 90% of people would say the spawn points for River city Assault are better. I have no problems with the new lance splits - as most people in teams are on voice coms, but a small tweak to the spawn points on maps would probably address this issue. Especially now that Direwolfs are so slow. You have to revise your entire operational plan, because the Direwolf spawned in a horrible place that will take it 3 minutes to long to catch up to the rest of the group.

#8 WM Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 171 posts
  • LocationQuit breaking the game, or changing irrelevant stuff and fix the bugs from closed beta.

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:18 PM

Keeping in mind that we have a limit of three lances and four players per lance, and that we also want to keep matchmaking within acceptable time parameters: I'd invite you to offer a suggestion of how you would rather see this implemented.

Move all back to a single spawn point where the lances start closer together. Solves two problems. First the one mentioned here where lance mates are spread all over creation. Solves a second problem of Assaults spawning too far away from the rest of the team, being picked off before they can join up. The current mechanic is not viable for any other reason than starting what is supposed to be a team, far apart. Bad for the game, no value...please accept suggestion to move lances closer together. Win-win for all.

#9 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

View PostWM Wraith, on 03 July 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

Move all back to a single spawn point where the lances start closer together. Solves two problems. First the one mentioned here where lance mates are spread all over creation. Solves a second problem of Assaults spawning too far away from the rest of the team, being picked off before they can join up. The current mechanic is not viable for any other reason than starting what is supposed to be a team, far apart. Bad for the game, no value...please accept suggestion to move lances closer together. Win-win for all.

I would have to agree with this. I know it is random, but the slow Assaults ALWAYS seem to be put in the lance farthest away from, well, everything.

#10 Zfailboat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Spawn points don't need to be right on top of each other, but the distance between lances should be relative to the map size. It should not take longer for an assault moving at 55 in Charlie lance to reach alpha lance spawn than it does for a light on the enemy at 150 to reach the same spot. Relative distance vs map size.

#11 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

Hi Niko, there should be option for Delta Lance to cater for the issue you mention above.

#12 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostWM Wraith, on 03 July 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

View PostCimarb, on 03 July 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

I would have to agree with this. I know it is random, but the slow Assaults ALWAYS seem to be put in the lance farthest away from, well, everything.

View PostZfailboat, on 03 July 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

Spawn points don't need to be right on top of each other, but the distance between lances should be relative to the map size. It should not take longer for an assault moving at 55 in Charlie lance to reach alpha lance spawn than it does for a light on the enemy at 150 to reach the same spot. Relative distance vs map size.

Niko, I can't emphasise these posts enough.

The current spawn points where an interesting play, but they're highly problematic with larger groups and of course as WM Wraith says there's a VERY serious issue right now even in the Solo queue where if you've taken a slow mech, and get dropped in the distant drop point (most maps have one lance dropped far from the rest) you're pretty much doomed from the start, as a fast moving enemy team can isolate and crush that distant lance. Players all know how this works, so faster mechs in the distant lance tend to book ass immediately to rejoin the team, leaving the slow assaults to their death. This, because they understand staying with the Assaults won't help, as the resulting 8v4 will be very onesided anyways.

As said, the spawn points don't need to be on top of each other, but do need to be close enough that players can quickly reposition at the start of the match, or at least don't need to worry about having literally no chance to join up with their team.

Alpine is a very good example of how this works. Terra Therma, too.

The spawn points need to be looked at.

#13 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:47 AM

I see people are still incapable of functioning without the aid of green doritos, as opposed to blue doritos.

#14 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

Stars for Clan 5mens? ;)

That would be 12vs10 however.. :ph34r:

Edited by CyclonerM, 04 July 2014 - 04:03 AM.

#15 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:03 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 04 July 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

I see people are still incapable of functioning without the aid of green doritos, as opposed to blue doritos.

I have to agree, if you are grouped with people then you really should be on some kind of voice communications therefore you shouldnt have a problem at all coordinating your small group.

And dont say you cant voice chat to people over the internet... That technology has been around for so many years and there are so many free programs.

#16 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:13 AM

View PostHellcat420, on 03 July 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

this is bad. I do not drop in a group to be put in a lance full of derps on the other side of the map from my friends. your new matchmaker is garbage. it also discourages teamwork.

*META, JUMPSNIPER, CHEESELOVER DETECTED*

The matchmaker is fine, your post was garbage.

#17 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:19 AM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 04 July 2014 - 04:03 AM, said:

I have to agree, if you are grouped with people then you really should be on some kind of voice communications therefore you shouldnt have a problem at all coordinating your small group.

And dont say you cant voice chat to people over the internet... That technology has been around for so many years and there are so many free programs.

We usually drop in uniform, too.

#18 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:39 AM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 04 July 2014 - 04:03 AM, said:

Couldn`t agree more.. last night we ran between 8 and 10 players, and when running 9 or 10 it wasn`t uncommon for the smaller group to take lead and reaggrange **** to their liking.

We couldn`t have cared less, because that`s what voice comms are for. If they gave up lead and someone was ocd about it it got rearranged, otherwise we just didn`t care.

What I have a bigger problem understanding is why the devs actually have to explain why trying to fit numbers smaller or larger than four into 3 perfect fours causes the need for division and afddition... what is this, 2nd grade math class? ;)

#19 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 04 July 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

We usually drop in uniform, too.

It is usually my offensive paint schemes that make me stick out for the people I drop with

And when I say offensive I really mean it ;) http://oi57.tinypic.com/sctgti.jpg

Edited by MonkeyCheese, 04 July 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#20 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:07 AM

Hi Niko, happend to me twice/thrice already, and i have to say: No problem at all. It's not like this causes me to loose teamspeak/skype connections to my friend(s). And we are supposed to work as a 12 man team anyways... right? RIGHT?

Regards MP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users