Groups In Different Lances

91 replies to this topic

#21 FoXabre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

I think a lobby system would be the first step to help with the issue but I think the time involved doesn't fit into PGI's timeline at the moment. As a simple first solution to the issue, why don't we have group members highlighted in a different colour. Perhaps yellow would help to identify group members on the field. That and perhaps a fourth lance to help move folks around in.

Furthermore, why are we still organized into lances? Especially now that we are not dealing exclusively with IS Mechs. It doesn't make sense to use a lance based system with Clan Mechs (in lore, organized into groups of 5 known as a Star) and mixed groups thrown in. It's a lore based system that seems cool (just like repair and rearm) but doesn't make much sense in the public queue in the game as it is today (save it for CW). This is why I believe the lobby system would help especially given the tools to make our own groups of any size.

#22 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 04 July 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:

Stars for Clan 5mens? :wacko:

That would be 12vs10 however.. :(

You could always have bid down from a Trinary to two augmented Stars (5+5+2), quiaff?

#23 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 03 July 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

Keeping in mind that we have a limit of three lances and four players per lance, and that we also want to keep matchmaking within acceptable time parameters: I'd invite you to offer a suggestion of how you would rather see this implemented.

Easy: Assign drop points for the lances and players prior to deployment. That means lobbies.

Bonus: Have more possible drop points per team, say 5 locations (for a lance of mechs). Some close, some as forward recon positions.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 04 July 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#24 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 04 July 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

Easy: Assign drop points for the lances and players prior to deployment. That means lobbies.

Bonus: Have more possible drop points per team, say 5 locations (for a lance of mechs). Some close, some as forward recon positions.

Allowing us to organize during the "ready up" phase would remove the lobby requirement until they actually implemented that feature.

I think multiple drop points would also be excellent, and you could choose which Lance dropped at which drop point - i.e. Five possible points, and you pick one for each of the three lances, depending on goal.

#25 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostCimarb, on 04 July 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

Allowing us to organize during the "ready up" phase would remove the lobby requirement until they actually implemented that feature.

I think multiple drop points would also be excellent, and you could choose which Lance dropped at which drop point - i.e. Five possible points, and you pick one for each of the three lances, depending on goal.

The problem is that it already drops you as soon as you hit the ready screen. You'd have to pick a starting location before that.

#26 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 04 July 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

The problem is that it already drops you as soon as you hit the ready screen. You'd have to pick a starting location before that.

It there was a POINT to the ready screen, we wouldn't have to do the "all connected" timer boost (from 60 seconds to 10). People wouldn't complain about the timer, because they would be spending it actually doing something!

#27 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

Keeping in mind that we have a limit of three lances and four players per lance, and that we also want to keep matchmaking within acceptable time parameters: I'd invite you to offer a suggestion of how you would rather see this implemented.

Without having read the thread beyond this post yet: per add lance delta and stick those 2 players in it, you've done similar before so it shouldn't be rocket science

Edited by NextGame, 05 July 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#28 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

View Post1453 R, on 03 July 2014 - 03:21 PM, said:

People couldn't figure this out on their own? o_O

Don't even remotely mean to sass you, Niko. Just boggles my mind that folks are apparently incapable of basic math. Just...dang, man.

are you new here? lol

Notice how none of them have, apparently given the complaints, figured out how to hit the commander button and reorder lances of they want? lol

View PostMyke Pantera, on 04 July 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

Hi Niko, happend to me twice/thrice already, and i have to say: No problem at all. It's not like this causes me to loose teamspeak/skype connections to my friend(s). And we are supposed to work as a 12 man team anyways... right? RIGHT?

Regards MP

^he gets it

#29 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

View PostSandpit, on 05 July 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

are you new here? lol

Notice how none of them have, apparently given the complaints, figured out how to hit the commander button and reorder lances of they want? lol

^he gets it

You don't seem to understand. When a group is split up, the members of the group are overcome by a berserk rage, blinded by pain and righteous fury.

#30 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostSephlock, on 06 July 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

You don't seem to understand. When a group is split up, the members of the group are overcome by a berserk rage, blinded by pain and righteous fury.

lol best post on the subject.

#31 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

would be nice to have a lance/group toggle to show colours on minimap of either your new assigned lance or your original drop group.

It can be hectic tracking who is where!

Edited by Verkhne, 06 July 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#32 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

View PostVerkhne, on 06 July 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

would be nice to have a lance/group toggle to show colours on minimap of either your new assigned lance or your original drop group.

now THAT'S a good idea

#33 Hellcat420

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

well how about putting us in a different match if a group wont fit in a lance, and fill the single spots with pugs, that's really no different than throwing groups into the solo que. it kind of defeats the purpose of dropping in a group if we are going to be split up into different lances, unless of course you are saying that lances are just there for looks and don't really matter. but if that's the case why waste the time programming all of the lance functions in? when I want to deal with trying to herd cats(dealing with a lance of randoms) ill solo drop.

Edited by Hellcat420, 06 July 2014 - 10:54 PM.

#34 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

View PostSandpit, on 05 July 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

and splitting other peoples groups up solves what exactly?

#35 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

Fix it. Either mark the teams or don't split them.

As for suggestions on how to make it work, see the Matchmaker code Miner and I submited to you a year ago. It worked.

Yours still doesn't

Every problem you're still having was addressed in that code.

#36 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 06 July 2014 - 10:56 PM, said:

and splitting other peoples groups up solves what exactly?

never said it "solved" anything, I merely pointed out that you have tools to correct that when it happens.

I never gave my opinion on it one way or the other but for the record, I personally think that if you're in a premade and on comms if you can't still coordinate with your team, that's more on the player than anything else. I don't need a specifically colored arrow to tell me where my teammates are when I'm talking to them.

and I feel things like this or being rather "nitpicky"

#37 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostSandpit, on 07 July 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

never said it "solved" anything, I merely pointed out that you have tools to correct that when it happens.

I never gave my opinion on it one way or the other but for the record, I personally think that if you're in a premade and on comms if you can't still coordinate with your team, that's more on the player than anything else. I don't need a specifically colored arrow to tell me where my teammates are when I'm talking to them.

and I feel things like this or being rather "nitpicky"

just because two people are in a group together does not mean they are on comms together.

#38 Vox Scorpus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts
  • LocationOn my mech - reloading my guns.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

View PostVerkhne, on 06 July 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

Same basic thing I was gonna post. A completely different color for your group. Toggle or not. Of course comms help in coordination but in the middle of a combat furball a glance at the minimap helps find your buddies.

#39 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostVox Scorpus, on 07 July 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

Same basic thing I was gonna post. A completely different color for your group. Toggle or not. Of course comms help in coordination but in the middle of a combat furball a glance at the minimap helps find your buddies.

I have always wondered why it does not just color each lance differently, instead of just doing "my lance this color and everyone else that color". Blue for allies, red for enemies, with allied blue being light, medium and dark to represent the lances. Color the lance names the same color, and boom, you know who is where!

#40 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 07 July 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

just because two people are in a group together does not mean they are on comms together.

then refer back to the whole company commander button to reorder lances :D

Even still, it's not hard to type at the beginning of a match and give locations so you can hook up with your group member.

Again, I'm just pointing out that while it might be annoying to you, it's far from game breaking and a minor inconvenience at best when you have tools to fix it available

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users