Harmony Gold Attempting To Kickstart New Robotech Animation. I Say We Boycott This Project.

83 replies to this topic

#61 Hollow Earth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 300 posts
  • LocationIntergalactic House of Pancakes

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

While the prospect of Herpderp Gold going under certainly brings a smile to my face, a part of me worries about the scenario that if Studio Nue gets the distribution rights back, how would they react to the whole Unseen business? Im hoping that Studio Nue would cool about this and settle the unseen business once and for all.
However, this whole thing might possibly make them bitter about western companies and would refuse a Reseen (and also the potential dubbing of the Macross series.) deal because of what HG did to them all these years. :)

Edited by Hollow Earth, 28 July 2014 - 05:33 PM.

#62 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:05 AM

View PostHollow Earth, on 28 July 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

While the prospect of Herpderp Gold going under certainly brings a smile to my face, a part of me worries about the scenario that if Studio Nue gets the distribution rights back, how would they react to the whole Unseen business? Im hoping that Studio Nue would cool about this and settle the unseen business once and for all.

... studio nue actually worked with Fasa to do the artwork for the japanese release of battletech.

Several of the 'mechs were actually among the unseens: http://www.gearsonli...ies/battletech/

Edited by Pht, 01 August 2014 - 07:05 AM.

#63 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

What and who are Harmony Gold? :rolleyes:

#64 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 05 July 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

I'll bet against it. Never could a good movie be made out of table-top games. FACT.

FALSE!!!!

Clue.

Defense rests.

#65 Darksoul719

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:35 AM

The project was canceled.... VICTORY!!!!!

#66 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:20 AM

View PostDarksoul719, on 03 August 2014 - 12:35 AM, said:

The project was canceled.... VICTORY!!!!!

I assume this means they have not reached their goal.. In such a case.. VICTORY indeed! :D

Funny idea: i am no economist or a big society's manager, but if they sold (cheaply enough) all their rights on the images of the last Unseen they might be able to fund their project to life and everyone would win. I bet that if PGI invested money on this personally and then released a new Reseen pack, there would be more people buying it to get a Warhammer and a Marauder than people complaing about their last, shameless moneygrab :)

#67 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 03 August 2014 - 01:20 AM, said:

Funny idea: i am no economist or a big society's manager, but if they sold (cheaply enough) all their rights on the images of the last Unseen they might be able to fund their project to life and everyone would win.

... here's the thing though ... HG appears to not have the rights to those images.

HG got it's rights from tatsunoko.

The courts in japan have ruled that tatsu didn't own the rights to the images.

So, basically, HG appears, IMO, to be getting away with defending what they never could have had, for the simple reason that nobody's got deep enough pockets and the desire to counter-suit and pursue it all the way back to japan.

Just my opinion, but there it is.

#68 Hollow Earth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 300 posts
  • LocationIntergalactic House of Pancakes

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

Well, let's hope this marks the moment in that Herpderp Gold's foundation crumbles and their life support starts to give away and everyone gets back what was rightfully theirs. :D

View PostPht, on 01 August 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

... studio nue actually worked with Fasa to do the artwork for the japanese release of battletech.

Several of the 'mechs were actually among the unseens: http://www.gearsonli...ies/battletech/

I actually kinda forgot about those. mostly because of how alien they look i forgot those where a Battletech collaboration.
(i think that griffin looks pretty amazing though)

#69 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

I like Robotech, I really don't see what the big deal was about

#70 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:37 AM

Just because you don't have the rights to something doesn't mean you can't sue as if you did.

#71 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:09 AM

View PostVeranova, on 11 July 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

The kind of attitude where battletech fans try to boycott HG is exactly the kind of anti-competitive practices which have hurt Battletech hugely in the past.

Battletech and Mecha didn't JUST die because people lost interest.
When you have a community which is sour, and a competitor who has anti-competitive practices (albeit formed the other way around), it KILLS the business interest in those IP's and the genre. It's just too much of a risk.

If we want Battletech to return in the long term, we have to support the entire genre, not just our little corner.
The more people who like stompy robots, the more people will decide they prefer the battletech designs and gameplay over others. It is the most unique one out there if you ask me.
We just need to encourage a strong genre instead of just this IP.

Cmon, people these days are more into anime's and have plenty of robo/mecha stuff available there. And our generatin 30+ is possibly a bit too old for cartoons. So sry bad kickstarter Idea. A rela cool movie with some animated mechs, THAT would be cool. I love the sequences in the older MW games. Also the BT universewould have enough cool stories to make some proper movies with character depth shiiits and epic battles.
The aveage BT fan is too old for cartoons. some cool TV serie would also be ok. But not a cartoon.

And makign the BT universe connected with anime style, Not sure, possibly a lot people who may be dragged into, but yet, i don't think the anime genre fits to the BT Universe, and as said, the robo section is already satureted in the anime genre.

stalker?
Posted Image

http://www.gearsonli...cha/stalker.gif
why is linkign this daaym pic not working?

wtf, sry but horrible idea to add those japanese style into the BT mechs when this happens. looks more like a dragon had sex with a Nova during a nuclear fallout.

Edited by Lily from animove, 05 August 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#72 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 04 August 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

I like Robotech, I really don't see what the big deal was about

Harmony Gold, the company that made robotech, brought a court case against fasa that resulted in a secret settlement and fasa dropping ALL third party artwork. Much of the artwork dropped were of some of the most well-liked visual designs at that time ... and some that are still far better than their visual replacements.

The marauder being, IMO, the foremost example.

Which would be bad enough, but HG has been involved in blocking newer macross products from the US for decades now, and HG is a group, imo, in search of a lawsuit - they're known for suing people over the robotech/macross visuals. Their lawsuits are, IMO, ironic, considering that the company they claim to have gotten the rights from - tatsunoko - was later ruled to not have the rights to the visuals.

#73 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

the basic idea of those Japanese versions might make decent templates for new versions of the unseen - assuming they'r part of the north American BT rights. i wouldn't use those images exactly as is, they'd look better as a hybred of the current MWO style and the blatant mecha look of the Japanese releases. but if you steal bits and pieces from the different Japanese versions you could make some interesting looking new designs

#74 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

I'm sorry. As much as I like Battletech, I love Macross and Robotech, too. So 'mecha is better than no 'mecha.

#75 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 05 July 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

As 9er said, the people who were FASA now run Smith and Tinker.
FASA itself (despite Wikipedia) no longer exists

Aaaaactually, Shar... http://www.fasagames.com/

FASA exists. I don't imagine many of the original crew are a part of this new incarnation though, but they're doing Earthdawn, one of old FASA's big IPs next to Battletech/Mechwarrior and Shadowrun.

#76 Skunk Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

Those lunch-bags are why we don't have a Robotech live action movie. Brad Pitt and Elijah Wood were interested in perusing the project (Macross anyway).

Download and file share the hell out anything they distribute.

Please, Harmony Gold, you look so tired. Get out while you can still make money.

#77 Mindwyrm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 101 posts
  • LocationIndiana USA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:02 AM

Now that the project has failed, I wonder if PGI and the MWO community could reach out to Harmony Gold and offer a trade. PGI and the MWO community gets behind the Robotech Academy thing and they, in turn, allow PGI the right to use those mechs. Just a thought.

#78 DLFReporter

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationAlpenfestung

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:11 AM

Oh Mindwyrm, you don't know HG. They are like hens defending their chicks, when it comes to "their" IP.

#79 Griggio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:17 AM

View PostMindwyrm, on 18 September 2014 - 02:02 AM, said:

Now that the project has failed, I wonder if PGI and the MWO community could reach out to Harmony Gold and offer a trade. PGI and the MWO community gets behind the Robotech Academy thing and they, in turn, allow PGI the right to use those mechs. Just a thought.

I wouldn't support Harmony Gold at this point if they offered to give me 3 free mechs and a dozen mechbays at this point.

Here's a fairly good article from Kotaku on some of the issues concerning Macross:

http://kotaku.com/59...nearly-15-years

It gets a little more interesting when you see what was happening on the US side without The Big West / Tatsunako / Studio Nue mess.

This was from a blog back in 2009 going over a little of the history from a legal standpoint in the US.

http://www.terrania....ech-second.html

I can say without a doubt I dislike HG more than EA. Especially when I think of all the good stuffs I could have if they weren't in the position they're in.

Another Centuries Episode.....I mean come on Macross game that spans multiple generations from Zero to Frontiers on PS3 and PSP! Yes please!

Macross Zero, Macross Frontiers, Yamato toys Veritech fighters!

#80 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:23 AM

View PostDLFReporter, on 18 September 2014 - 03:11 AM, said:

Oh Mindwyrm, you don't know HG. They are like hens defending their chicks, when it comes to "their" IP.

then we should slaughter and roast them, hmm roasted chicken.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users