25 replies to this topic

#1 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

Match Maker has been dropping 4 and 5 man groups against 12 mans. How is that fair. Not even getting a chance.

No point running mid sized groups as ur just going to get the shaft!

#2 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:53 AM

It's been our experience too. Run less than 6 and you are in for it. But at least the soloists think it's hliarious! We deserve it for "stomping" them apparently......

We really need:
Solo queue
Small groups queue
12 man queue

3-4 smaller groups really don't match up to a 12 man very well.

#3 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:11 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 06 July 2014 - 01:53 AM, said:

It's been our experience too. Run less than 6 and you are in for it. But at least the soloists think it's hliarious! We deserve it for "stomping" them apparently......

We really need:
Solo queue
Small groups queue
12 man queue

Amen

#4 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

Or..

Just put groups of 4 or less in the pug queue. Allow 1 group of more than 4 per side.

If there is a group on one side make sure there is an equal sized group on the other side.

4 or less doesnt dominate pugs like bigger groups

Definitely groups of 2 should just always end up in pug queue

Edited by Bigbacon, 06 July 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#5 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:33 AM

We really need:
Solo queue
Small groups queue
12 man queue

That is the real tragedy of the now completely busted group cue, is that when a pug in the last matchmaker got hit by a PPC they started screaming about poptarts and premades and every other thing under the sun. Most premades were casual drops running fun builds anyway, not meta poptarts or whatever the hate flavor of the month is. Now we have a solo cue that seems great from what I've seen and a group cue that is worse the the previous solo cue was as it lumps casual groups in with competitive teams. And this weird thing has started up where new groups who drop into the group cue to screw around for giggles and enable the enemy to stomp them for the sake of "having fun" because "premades wrecked it for them in the past"

Unless your group is running an 8 man its not worth bothering with the group cue at the moment

And for all the competitive crowds running their 12 man training drops in the group cues so you can stomp a couple of 4's or a 4 and a few 2 man teams, you guys are bringing this down hard. Go to your private matches, that's where you belong

Edited by FatYak, 06 July 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#6 Carl Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

I've been on the receiving end of this insanity for a few dozen matches and on the dealing end for about twenty. When we had 12 of us on voice (and not even any ubercheese 'mechs!), we only lost two of the ~18 matches we played. It just isn't fair, folks, even if the ELO figures say it is. Isn't this common sense?

Edited by Carl Avery, 06 July 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#7 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

Personally, I'd suggest to have groups of 2-3 always drop in the solo-queue, groups of 4 dropping in solo and group-queues and only allowing groups of exactly 8 and 12 above that, wich exclusively drop in the group-queue. Ditching the whole "groups of 5-10"-thing.

I believe groups of 8+4 would at least stand a reasonable chance against somewhat evenly proficient 12mans while mixed bunches of 4s, 2 and 3s have no chance in hell unless the 12man is utterly incompetent.

Also: solo-drops are pretty much perfect right now, don't change a thing there.

Edited by Ironwithin, 06 July 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#8 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostIronwithin, on 06 July 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

Also: solo-drops are pretty much perfect right now, don't change a thing there.

This ^

#9 Carl Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

The solo drops are indeed less uneven than I've ever experienced -- however, they still can be pretty one-sided because of 'mech composition. Adjusted BV and all that ... but it's also true that the matchmaker is already having difficulties finding enough people to match together with loosened values. Not sure that there is any solution to that, other than the one that PGI won't consider (private matches free for everyone).

#10 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

Have they widened the ELO brackets again? I saw guys in the group cue that i have never seen before, and i know i havn't seen them before because i am way below their ELO bracket.

View PostIronwithin, on 06 July 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

I believe groups of 8+4 would at least stand a reasonable chance against somewhat evenly proficient 12mans while mixed bunches of 4s, 2 and 3s have no chance in hell unless the 12man is utterly incompetent.

Even 8's against mixed bags of 2's and 3 is still a rofl stomp in the making and terribly one sided

And class matching is still hit and miss. one of the two stomp that worked in my favor tonight, the other team had 2 light mechs and some mediums, the smallest my team had was a single medium

#11 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

I played a few matches today and yesterday solo-I must say big improvement! Fairly decent players can now farm away-knowing that a lot of the time, the other team is completely disorganised and the 2-3 stand out players on your team can have a field day.

That said, I've had more decent games solo past two days than I've ever had. Some real close nailbiters. But can we stop penalising the small groups now please? I want to drop with 2-3 mates again and enjoy it if you don't mind!

#12 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

We really need:
Solo queue
Small groups queue
12 man queue

been part of more stomps in the last 4 days than the entire 3 months previous combined

something isn't working correctly in the matchmaker

#13 amenophis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

Well I need to add my comments to this topic. There isn't a lot. Just look at the wins. Weather you are on the losing or winning side look at how one sided most the wins are. Most winning teams seem to only lose from 1 to 3 mechs only(a lot of matches only 1 is lost) when the other side loses all. This happens way to frequently, if the match maker is working the way pgi says it is working. Now and then there are well matched games but most are not. That's it. See ya on the battlefield. I am a pug so far with this game. I'll think about groups when things seem fairer.

Edited by amenophis, 06 July 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#14 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

Yeah just had 2 12 man stomps vs a 4 man group. They denied it but the co-ordination was there. Also the pings were almost the same. (Variance of maybe 50) One even said get on Ts. I am now refusing to run groups. This is crazy. Why should small groups suffer, low Cbill and Xp earnings and damage to their KDR because PGI cant get the MM sorted!

#15 Galenit

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

Organized people on coms against less organized people without coms (or on different coms).

We had this for more then a year, just search the forum about premade+pug.

Now tell me where is the difference and why do all the premade arguments against a pure pug queue do not count for the small groups in the 12 mans queue too?

Edited by Galenit, 07 July 2014 - 12:41 AM.

#16 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Becasue 4 men on comms has less of an impact than 12 do.
Also, the group queue has elevated the tryhard tactics to a new high. The level of play is very different and having at least 8 people facing you on comms is exponentially worse than just 4.
Now if 2 mates drop, you are being fed into the grinder......

#17 Panzerbjorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

To all of you complaining about group queues having 12-mans on coms going against smaller teams: join a merc outfit or a clan and STFU already. CW is coming soon (so PGI says) and you're going to need to join a community of players ANYWAY. Learn to teamplay, because that's what this game is (and especially WILL be) all about.

That being said, there's a really simple solution to this issue: allow groups of 4 or less to opt-out of the group queue (PGI stated this is coming in the July 15th patch). Additionally, add the ability for those brave souls who wish to solo-drop into group queues to do so (opt-in to group queue on solo drops). Because personally, I would solo-drop in group queue every time if I could. I'd much rather play with a cohesive team, even if I'm not on their coms.

#18 elengil

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 23 posts
  • LocationDDC hometown

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

View PostPanzerbjorn, on 10 July 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

To all of you complaining about group queues having 12-mans on coms going against smaller teams: join a merc outfit or a clan and STFU already. CW is coming soon (so PGI says) and you're going to need to join a community of players ANYWAY. Learn to teamplay, because that's what this game is (and especially WILL be) all about.

That being said, there's a really simple solution to this issue: allow groups of 4 or less to opt-out of the group queue (PGI stated this is coming in the July 15th patch). Additionally, add the ability for those brave souls who wish to solo-drop into group queues to do so (opt-in to group queue on solo drops). Because personally, I would solo-drop in group queue every time if I could. I'd much rather play with a cohesive team, even if I'm not on their coms.

STFU? Really?

Why is this post still here?

#19 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:45 AM

View PostAkulla1980, on 06 July 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

Yeah just had 2 12 man stomps vs a 4 man group. They denied it but the co-ordination was there. Also the pings were almost the same. (Variance of maybe 50) One even said get on Ts. I am now refusing to run groups. This is crazy. Why should small groups suffer, low Cbill and Xp earnings and damage to their KDR because PGI cant get the MM sorted!

The reason why they acted like a 12 man is simple: everybody who's at all competitive knows the basic strata for each map. If they happen to have 2 or 3 competitive lances they just need to say a couple of words in chat at the start for everyone to know what to do. The only time you actually need 12 man comes is when you are fighting a group of similar skill. Clearly the guys you faced were not.

There would be a lot less frustrations on this game if people would just let go of false mental limitations and preconceptions notions if what is "impossible" and really, actually LTP.

When you lose, don't blame the mm, don't blame HSR, don't blame the meta, blame yourself first and ask: how could I have adapted and prevailed in that situation I just faced? If everyone did that wed have much better games.

#20 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

Guys, please. Don't ruin the group que please. Really, I love it there now that it is up running 2 or 10 does not matter. The games are so much MORE, just simply MORE, in the group que. Yup, I get my but handed to me on a silver platter by the personal butlers of HoL and CJF now and again, but those are the breaks.

Kamiko, you need to consolidate. When you are running 2 and groove with the guys you just played with then send them a friend invite and ask to be in their group. After a while you will get a group of guys you like to regular with. They may not be the same faction, or even IS, but right now that does not really matter. Factions are just cosmetics in the moment.

You are experiencing the same frustration the solo's felt when groups were in the PUG que. You are in the minority so far as numbers/coordination and feel overpowered/left out. If you are dropping with 2, may be the rest are a 10, or a 6 and 4, or whatever. Consolidate, find guys you groove with and become regulars. It will save you and your friend a world of hurt and heart ache.

I know people love the "but I dont want to" and "I should not have to" arguments, but you need to be practical about it and find your own solution or wait however long it takes for PGI to MAYBE change something that makes things more to your liking. The way it looks, solo que only with no groups and group que with no PUGs is here to stay, at least for a while. A lot of Solo's and groups are loving it they way it is now so there is little pressure on PGI to make any changes.

Also, befriend your nemesis. If you are getting rolled by specific "12 mans" then send out a friend invite to a few of them and keep an eye on their status (e.g. on/offline, deployed, etc.). If you are getting rolled by specific units then you can "game the system" and hit the launch button when they are either offline of already deployed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users