17 replies to this topic

#1 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

So I'm killing two birds with one stone here.

I have to write an informative speech, and I chose my topic to be the Clan packages. I'll be recycling that speech for the youtube video I'll be doing on the subject of Clan packages/mechs and what mech would suit what kind of player.

I've decided that what I'll be doing is covering each mech's pros, cons, weapon type (energy, ballistic, missile) focuses and any good or bad traits that each Omni-Mech is known for in the hopes of giving valuable information to those who would be purchasing the Clan mechs.

Although I have all the mechs, I don't want my video/speech to come across with a personal bias.

What do you think I should highlight for each Clan mech? The good and the bad. I should note I will not be focusing on meta-related stuff.

Edited by Koniving, 07 July 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

Kit Fox:
Pro- Excellent support platform due to 1-3 AMS and ECM, potentially high build diversity
Con- Slow, relatively easy to hit
Note: Can be Meta Friendly as a single ERPPC poptart with ECM

Adder:
Pro- Excellent weapon space, maximum armor for its weight class, CT mounted flamer (yes, god dammit, it is a pro!)
Con- Slow, limited utility outside of damage, no jump jets

Nova:
Pro- Jump capable, decent range of motion on the arms is possible, low profile design
Con- Limited pod space compared to the Stormcrow, energy reliant
Note: Meta friendly in the roll of a double ERPPC Poptart

Stormcrow:
Pro- Durable, max armor of its weight class, excellent customization options, tons of pod space, fast
Con- No jump jets, relatively easy to hit

Summoner:
Pro- I believe it can fly. I believe it can touch the sky.... Also, it has hitboxes that are safer in a brawl as opposed to the Timber Wolf. High mounted ballistic nipple hardpoints
Con- Very limited podspace for the tonnage
Note: Everything it can do as far as Meta is concerned the Timber Wolf can do better, however it can do double ERPPC just fine

Timber Wolf:
Pro- Plenty of pod space, tons of customization options, max armor of its weight class
Con- Everyone and their mother pilots one, has a relatively easy center torso to hit due to a minor case of Dragon syndrome
Note: 2xERPPC, 1 Gauss Rifle Meta Clan Mech of choice - however it is flawed in that build due to crippling heat generation and limited jump jet count

Warhawk:
Pro- Fast, very maneuverable for a non-jumping mech, fantastic hitboxes, plenty of pod space, moderate loadout options
Con- No jump jets, slightly low mounted weapon systems
Note: 20 hardwired DHS makes the mech a natural energy boat as doing anything else with it wastes the 20 tons of hardwired heat sinks

Dire Wolf:
Pro- Maximum armor for its class, beyond insane amounts of pod space, beyond insane amounts of weapon configuration options available
Con- Turns, accelerates, and stops like a beached whale, relatively easy to hit center torso, limited torso twist, no jump jets
Note: Capable of insanely high non-missile based alphas, commonly loaded with two gauss rifles and between 2 and 3 ERPPC (though that is a flawed design due to unsustainable heat generation), and is completely at the mercy of any light mech that gets behind or to the sides of it

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 07 July 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#3 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:37 AM

Interesting, but he said he was not interested in meta :)

He just said pretty much everything. I can only add that the Timberwolf can mount JJs.

#4 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:32 AM

Cover everything, leave no stone unturned. :) Plus, the "meta" mechs we have are all horribly flawed. Knowing why is relevant to overall balance of the chassis, quiaff?

#5 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

Well, maybe. I am not a fan of spreading the meta in any way, starting from NGNG :)

#6 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:22 AM

I would add for the Dire Wolf that you can load ballistics, with a complement of lasers, and still fit LRM40 with enough ammo to be useful as a 3rd weapon system. People laugh when I tell them, but one of my trothkin gave me a build with dual gauss, six ERML and LRM40 with 5 tons of ammo. As a purely support weapon system while closing range. It makes the Dire Wolf a dire threat for sure. Could be run with streak 12 for anti light as well.

#7 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

The ability for each variant to boast some impressive Missile firepower is a nice thing, all have the ability to be LRM or Streak Boats for the most part (at least one variant without switching pods) Stormcrow, Timberwolf and Dire Wolf do it best though.

Also, KEEP AN EYE ON THE QUIRKS! Some variations of the pods and mechs can make for some very, very bad quirks (like energy weapon cool down rate +25%!) so before you save loadouts check the quirks that will be added via each Omnipod you equip.

Edited by DarthRevis, 08 July 2014 - 07:15 AM.

#8 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

All your informations may be derive from this tread: http://mwomercs.com/...-of-clan-mechs/ Kind of obsolete lately, but it does contain some elaborate first impressions.

#9 Sky Hunter

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

I never post, and likely have never posted on this forum.... but as a gamer who has played all the Battletech games, and read all the battle tech books, and waited 2 whole months for the clan mechs I purchased to be released into my care, I feel it is my duty to reply. I will avoid hitting the points already hit.

Pro- More maneuverable than the Adder, makes a quick agile 20-25 Lrm boat. Makes a good hit and hide spotter with LRMs that lures enemies out into the open just to kill it.
Con- Too many ECMers, they do not report enemy positions for their team while running constant ECMs which does not help LRM equipped mechs who struggle to get targets. Cannot mount guass cannon to go with the ECM.

Adder:
Pro- Slow enough to entice enemies to give chase and agile enough to weave among heavies and assaults.
Con- No match against most IS Lights in 1v1. Cannot remove the flamer which is next to useless against a cool running mech and seldom survives to be used against heat burdened mechs.

Nova:
Pro- Has the potential to be considered a miniature Dire Wolf as it can unload allot of firepower in a full salvo to take down most mechs point blank.
Con- As agile as the Dire Wolf but without the armor to survive long head to head as it tends to overheat quickly in dire situations where delivering its massive firepower is needed.

Stormcrow:
Pro- Higher set arms, and easily the bigger meaner brother of the Kitfox with allot more firepower and better heat management.
Con- Not ECM Capable.

Summoner:
Pro- Makes a good scout and jump sniper and LRM boat.
Con- When mounting LRMs it dies relatively fast against mediums, heavies and assaults regardless of range, turns like the Highlander as it cannot track light mechs running circles around it.
Note: Summoner was always my Fav mech but the armor fails to perform and seems to take 2x the damage of any other mech.

Timber Wolf:
Pro- Dual LRMs and multiple lasers with great armor and maneuverability makes this mech the hands down favorite for anyone wanting to be highly effective in tight situations. Makes Catapult pilots jealous. Feels like a Warhawk with a caffeine rush, a killer at close, medium and long ranges.
Con- Makes Catapult pilots jealous.... which is both good and bad.

Warhawk:
Pro- Can track most circling light mechs and all medium ones, plus low mounted weapons make killing them easier.
Con- Center Torso or cockpit (not sure which) is easy to hit unless the Warhawk pilot fires and swivels torso quickly, often an easy kill for anyone with good enough aim to hit consistently.

Could not say it better for the Dire Wolf.
Dire Wolf:
Pro- Maximum armor for its class, beyond insane amounts of pod space, beyond insane amounts of weapon configuration options available
Con- Turns, accelerates, and stops like a beached whale, relatively easy to hit center torso, limited torso twist, no jump jets.

Edited by Sky Hunter, 08 July 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#10 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Every mech incorporates a different play style. Going from a stormcrow to a warhawk i learned his the hard way aas i figured out i wasn't fast enough to be a sniping mech in a warhawk (unlike the stormcrow which is a superb sniping mech) which is why i was sucking at first in the warhawk. Then i figured out in warhawk you kinda have to hang out in the crowd and use your PPC's on long range targets, for the most part it's the sort of mech that lies down the suppressing fire while the mediums and heavies move in for the kill. Light mechs....sigh.....i will never figure those out

Edited by Grimwill, 08 July 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#11 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

View PostGrimwill, on 08 July 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

i will never figure those out

Looks like many in my Clan use them well. I do not believe you would surrender so easily :angry:
Besides, the Kit Fox is so cuuute aww :P

#12 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:47 AM

At the moment all I can contribute is to the Kit Fox.

The Kit Fox is the only ECM capable Clan mech as of yet. And that is it's curse. Many people expect the Kit Fox to equip that damned ECM arm. The -C arm with ECM and an ER PPC is not bad (slightly higher mounted), but the first thing people are shooting at is the right torso. Also the -C arm has the biggest drawback of all omnipods. -10% movement speed for the arms and -10% turn rate for the torso! This makes it rather locked in a support role. The triple AMS is fun especially with AMS overload, but it eats through AMS ammo in no time.

The speed is not really that bad. 97 stock and 107 with speed tweak is fair enough to do it's job. Just keep in mind that you're not a light hunter. And remember... that leaves you with a lot of pod space to work with. Take the classic sniper Raven: RVN-3L. Now a Kit Fox can do this: KFX-PRIME. 5 tons less, more firepower, same heat efficiency, can TAG (which you could switch for an ER Medium, has AMS). Yep, you're slower, but you're fast enough to reposition yourself. And just for the lulz: KFX-PRIME Why snipe from just one side, when you can have both? :angry:

Other than that the Kit Fox is surprisingly agile in the Prime and -D config. Heavy ballistics are a no go on the Kit Fox tho. The stock armor is paper thin, it has a low profile but is wide enough to be easily hit. So you want max armor. The Prime is a nice energy platform and heat is not that difficult to handle. I find my Firestarters to be much more difficult to handle. ER Lasers and ER PPCs work excellent in combination with ECM. There's nothing more satisfying than giving those sniper Ravens a taste of their own game.

The -D is 30 tons of pure fun. Sport 4 SRM6 with tons of ammo and ambush like there's no tomorrow. You can kill pretty much everything if your keep your situational awareness. Just don't get flanked or jumped yourself. Don't stray off too far off your team. Either hide behind buildings or rocks and wait for a straggler to pass by, or form up with your assaults and go rampage on everything they're engaging. Without ECM you're usually not that much of a priority target. And this beast can seriously take out Timber Wolfs and Dire Wolfs if you get the jump on them.

I found LRMs and SSRMs not that effective on the Kit Fox. LRMs leave you even more vulnerable, SSRMs, especially the SSRM6, paint enemy mechs all over the spot, so they're fairly ineffective for their tonnage.

The big drawback of the Kit Fox is it's own weight class. IS lights will outmaneuver you easily. The energy builds are pretty helpless (long beam times). A lucky shot with an ER PPC or SRMs might scare them away tho, but try to evade IS lights at all costs. Leave 'em to the big boys and take out larger prey.

#13 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

Adder makes a great SRM platform...we have dubbed that variant the "Spladder"

Edited by Gyrok, 09 July 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#14 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:37 AM

Biggest flaw of the Dire Wolf: It's not a Turkina. ;)

#15 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 10 July 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

Biggest flaw of the Dire Wolf: It's not a Turkina. ;)

Biggest flaw of the Warhawk? It is not a Mad Cat MK II OR a Gargoyle :D

#16 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

Na, CyclonerM. Biggest flaw of the Warhawk is a toss up between it not being a Nova Cat or a Hellstar. ;)

#17 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 10 July 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

Na, CyclonerM. Biggest flaw of the Warhawk is a toss up between it not being a Nova Cat or a Hellstar. :P

I see what you mean, but i would rather pilot a light Assault as fast as a Timberwolf without the need of MASC (after all with some modifications its look can be very fearsome and impressive :P ) or, even better, a jumping Assault that looks very cool, has TWO Gauss rifles, PLUS four mediums AND two LRM10 launchers :unsure:

#18 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 07 July 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

ballistic nipples

Liked, just for that. Made me think of the "Nipple missiles, go!" line from Sonic Bastardized 3. I may have to get a Summoner when they come out for c-bills.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users