#42 gunghoblazes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationEverywhere at once.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 27 July 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

can you guys post some Flame builds?

Engines I have access to are all XLs 245,275,280,300,320, and 340

Really you could do my 1N build. That shoulder ballistic slot would help hill humping gauss rounds.
Before I bought my summoner, I had said that the flame would be the only mech I bought....still
wish I had.

#43 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

View Postgunghoblazes, on 27 July 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

Really you could do my 1N build. That shoulder ballistic slot would help hill humping gauss rounds.
Before I bought my summoner, I had said that the flame would be the only mech I bought....still
wish I had.

i've tried similar with 2 LL/ERLL and gauss or AC10.

Edited by Bigbacon, 27 July 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#44 gunghoblazes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 27 July 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

i've tried similar with 2 LL/ERLL and gauss or AC10.

aye, did it work for you? or no?

#45 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

View Postgunghoblazes, on 27 July 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

aye, did it work for you? or no?

nothing really works for me on this thing. I keep trying and it is always failure. Usually just get melted by a laser heavy clan mech pretty quicky and I don't get in over my head either or try not to.

#46 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

The Dragon should be driven as a heavy with the expectation it will face significant headwinds. (wide convergence, undesirable hitboxes, knuckle dragging low-mount arms)

Some of these builds will be redundant with already suggested builds in this thread while others will not.

(1C only)3x ERLL
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8a3a308636461f8

Gauss, 2x ERLL
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...863152e516269ac

UAC5, 2x PPC
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4c89090b36b1eff

2x PPC, AC10
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bff075d49741ee3

Gauss, 2x PPC - At this point, things start to get gimmicky as a 60 ton 'mech, but this 'mech gives back as good as it gets. Other pilots will not expect this much punch from a Dragon.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7edabaa95ff2566

With the Dragon, do not bother at all with the CT missile hardpoint. You do not want to intentionally get close enough to use SRMs and it is not worth positioning a single LRM-10 pack or use any form of a bracket build.

Only use an extremely large engine XL engine on a Dragon if you are planning to kite with ER Large Laser based builds. Essentially use Kurita style long range attrition adapted to work in MWO. Otherwise, bring the firepower/payload necessary to make a good attempt at taking on Cataphracts and Madcats. As a Dragon pilot, the matchmaker will not be kind to you so plan for it. Odds are, if you bring a 60 ton mech to fill a heavy slot the other team will get something much bigger.

I am not claiming these builds even the odds but for heaven sakes add some sauce to your 'Dragons.

*For the Flame, I would go with either 4x ML, AC20 with a STD 295 -or- Gauss, 2x ERLL with an XL 300.

Remember to focus on making advantageous trades.

Good luck Dragon Pilots.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 27 July 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#47 gunghoblazes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Like Kin3ticX has said, the dragon cannot and will not take on most any other mech of equal tonnage. It is best used as a skirmisher like the Raven. Keep poking at ppl, try to never be the first anywhere. Keep moving and changing positions. It is a great mech do not give up on it you will get the hang of it. If you can pilot a dragon decently...

#48 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:06 AM

Dragon is one of the mechs getting a 'quirk' in the upcomming patch, likely exactly like the quirk they talked about the awesome getting (reduced damage to CT) which 'may' help it but doubt it, you'll still be able to hit it from mars.

#49 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:15 AM

As much as I love the dragon, I'd have to say, ever since the timber wolf came out, I'm seeing less and less of these out on the battle field. A lot of dragon pilots have switched over to summoners and timber wolves due to similar playstyles (speed with lasers and ballistics) but with safer XL engines, and jump jets.

#50 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

The dragon is getting 5% faster rate of fire for Ballistics, 5% less heat from Ballistics, 10% faster torso twist

Not much but they could always tweak it more.

I assume that the 10% torso twist is on the base number so it should be nice for people with mastered dragons.

#51 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

The Dragons, no matter wich variant or hero, turned in to be my favorite mechs. i really love it!

#52 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 29 July 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

The dragon is getting 5% faster rate of fire for Ballistics, 5% less heat from Ballistics, 10% faster torso twist

Not much but they could always tweak it more.

I assume that the 10% torso twist is on the base number so it should be nice for people with mastered dragons.

So basically they ignored the real problem, how very PGI like.

Posted Image

#53 tm10067

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

To say it honestly dragons ride well enough without these quirks. But anyway thanks PGI. :)

#54 pulupulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Anyone played like dragon during clan vs IS?

Although I didn't play my dragon during clan vs IS, it did give me a perspective of the future of mwo. The power creep is stronger than expected.

I feel the dragon can no longer be best at doing what it is good at (for a good while now). Being slower than 90kph for power would mean you should use something heavier than dragon. Being faster, and you would be a shadowhawk without jumpjet that take a slot from timberwolf and queue slower. The only build that others can't really replicate is something weak like 2x er large laser + 3 machine guns (funny enough, I was able to have some success with it; but I could have been far more impactful being something better).

Looking at the updated quirk for other mechs, like hunchback and awesome, I have to assume dragon will never get good enough to match the likes of timberwolves or future power creeps. At most will go from bad to below average.

I used to love my dragons, but now I am putting serious consideration to sell it to make room. Especially if IS vs clan become stable. IS need every capable mech it can get against clan, and dragon didn't make the cut. The only dragon imo is worth using is probably flame, and I don't have one.

Edited by pulupulu, 07 August 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#55 FireDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostBOWMANGR, on 22 July 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

The amount of noob Timber Wolfs out there is epic, I don't think that suppressing your fun to let some Timber Wolfs in is viable. What if your Dragon can do way more damage to the enemy than a Timber Wolf. It's not only about the mech, it's about the pilot.

A good Dragon pilot can ruin the day of many enemy pilots. The fact that the Dragon is so underestimated makes it even funnier when you wreck them. :D

Also, I'm willing to bet that the Timber Wolf is going to get nerfed the following months, especially when everyone can buy one with c-bills and some really good pilots can get their hands on them. Then you will hear the screaming...

PGI will nerf them but I assume they will let the paying crowd feel a bit superior before doing so.

All in all they did a good job with balance but the Timber Wolf is OP.

PGI has already nerfed them, The Timberwolf alone with the Stormcrow were docked a module slot.

#56 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

View Postpulupulu, on 07 August 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

Although I didn't play my dragon during clan vs IS, it did give me a perspective of the future of mwo. The power creep is stronger than expected.

I feel the dragon can no longer be best at doing what it is good at (for a good while now). Being slower than 90kph for power would mean you should use something heavier than dragon. Being faster, and you would be a shadowhawk without jumpjet that take a slot from timberwolf and queue slower. The only build that others can't really replicate is something weak like 2x er large laser + 3 machine guns (funny enough, I was able to have some success with it; but I could have been far more impactful being something better).

Looking at the updated quirk for other mechs, like hunchback and awesome, I have to assume dragon will never get good enough to match the likes of timberwolves or future power creeps. At most will go from bad to below average.

I used to love my dragons, but now I am putting serious consideration to sell it to make room. Especially if IS vs clan become stable. IS need every capable mech it can get against clan, and dragon didn't make the cut. The only dragon imo is worth using is probably flame, and I don't have one.

i play my 1C quite often,400-600 dmg is quite normal,of course when your team gets rolled,its 100-200.

Its usually gauss + 4 medium lasers or lbx10 + 4 medium lasers. Both work well

#57 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

View Postpulupulu, on 07 August 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

I play with my 1C, since I'm new to the game and all, currently running...

DRG-1C

It works fairly well for the most part, provided I'm not stupid with it and get cought swinging my **** in the wind....

I usualy get in the 200-300 damage bracket with 4 or 5 assists, maybe a kill or two and work good with my team.

I could have the big XL engine if I wasn't dumb and bought a HGN 732 first, only to sell it after I found I didn't like the way the gauss worked.

The trick to a Dragon, is you are not a heavy, you are not a brawler, you are not fire support. You are a heavy medium, you are a flanker, and you are an opportunistic hunter. Remeber back armour is like paper on most of the big boys, use your speed to your advantage. And above all else, stick near the big boys, let them draw fire, and then you go for the kill when the big boys are being fire magnets.

#58 pulupulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 07 August 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

You could be a SHD-2D
so you don't take slot from timberwolf or queue slower. Now with jumpjet.

Or at least

TDR-5S for extra medium laser

or CTF-3D

and now you have a jump jet to play on cayon network and more laser instead of srm

Edited by pulupulu, 07 August 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#59 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

After hating Dragon in BT it was one of the first test mech's I rolled when starting ended up really enjoying the stock setup so started working on. Ended up being my first Elite mech. But at 60 tons it is an odd duck... pretty much like any mech that is the lowest tonnage of its class they are hybrids.

Is it surprising Summoner and Timber Wolf are main heavies... heck no! they are clan and basically packing power of an assault along with maneuverable and fast... gee lotsa guns, speed and armor YES PLEASE. Anyone who didn't see this coming wasn't paying attention. but that doesn't mean Dragon is a lost cause rolled right its a ton of fun. They can still bring alot of help to team.

- Its a glorified medium but has the armor to take some hits provided you twist and don't go head to head.

- After many games and dying most of time to center torso removed, while at saem time armor all over was toast anyway. Realized my side torsos pretty always survive past my center anyway so switched to XL engines and big ones. Use that speed and touch of extra weight to get slightly bigger weapons.

- If your in front line your in wrong place - flank - hit and run - raid. The dragon excels at these and has armor to keep it up far longer then medium or light. Toe to Toe with any other mech means your about to lose center torso MOOOOOVE.

- Sure not alot of weapon mounts but really thats not a negative means you can simplify things for 1 2 punch and worry more about keeping yourself moving around. once you get used to it and team up with others to swarm it gets nasty.

- Don't be afraid to sit behind team a little at start of battle let lines setup then dive in to the flanks punching here and there and keeping the lights off you heavy hitters.

- Go for legs a legged mech is screwed especially lights. Dragon loves some legged mechs

In the end with work dragon can be a ton of fun. takes some time to click recommend walk away for a bit try something else for awhile another mech then go back later. Get a fresh perspective

#60 worm4981

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

I feel that the dragons suffered a bit from the clans, but you can still do pretty well with them. I use a 2MPL/2LPL flame most of the time.
One has to understand that one does NOT slug it out with other heavys in a dragon. You rather pop out from behind a rock, take off an arm, side torso or leg and vanish again. Rinse and repeat. Also, do not be afraid to switch targets in a brawl. Focus fire is useful, but you do not want to stay at one place for too long. Move around, shoot any smoking limbs and try to blow off components or kill cored mechs. Most players will ignore you once the main fight has started and allow you to get behind them.

Use your speed and arm movement to stay out of sight of the big guns. You are not there to strip armor off, you are there to cripple already damaged mechs and remove their firepower from the game. This also means that damage numbers on dragons might be lower than you expect from a heavy. But fewer, well placed shots are imho way better than spreading damage around without any immediate effect. You cannot afford to spend time dealing damage that will not immediately lead to a reduction of the enemies firepower. Good, non-stomp matches are usually 1-3 kills, some assists and 300-400 damage for me. Not that impressive on paper, but it does make a difference in the match when these 300 damage are pinpoint on exposed components instead of some scratches in an assault mechs armor.

Also, do not stop moving. Just dont. Same goes for being alone or the only visible target.

There is one other thing to know: A dragon is no carry mech. It depends completely on your team to create opportunities for you to be useful. If your team decites to camp and gets outmanouvered, you cannot do anything. You cannot lead a push and you cannot engage in a sniper war. You will be able to recognize these matches after a few drops right from the start. They are usually lost within the first 1-2 minutes. Just deal with it, you cant change that in a dragon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users