Are Small Pulse Lasers Working For Anybody?

38 replies to this topic

#1 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

I'm considering swapping out all my medium lasers, in one of my fast light mechs, for all small pulse lasers. I was just curious if a build like this has been good for anyone else or if hardly any damage can be done with it?

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

The range is too damn small. Even on a light mech, you will very often get reduced damage because the burn can lasty longer than a flyby. If you want a very light backup weapon, stick to SLs and MGs. Good players can still do OK with these, because good players do OK with anything. SPLs are a joke weapon.

#3 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:53 AM

They work in some builds where you can absorb the weight hit to meet a concept for fast-cycling point-blank damage and where you have the other ranges covered. I'll do it with a Battlemaster, for example, loading heavy arm weapons, an SRM6, and 6 SPLAS. In close it's like an AC/20 going off every couple seconds. Of course, regular SLAS can be used, but the pulse feel better to me and the design can absorb the negatives. It's been quite successful. I can't imagine doing it on a light mech though where the MLAS is such a necessary ubiquitous tool.

Edited by Elyam, 09 July 2014 - 04:36 AM.

#4 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

in very fast light mechs they are useful because the short duration gets you more on target as you wizz by but depending, SL fit better, saves weight for more stuff or to mix in ML or two. Like a locust 1E, you could boat 6 SPLs but you'd almost be better off with 2 ML or even 2 MPL and 4 SL and/or some extra DHS.

it is a toss up for me. I do like them though.

unless you running 150+, having at least one mid range weapon is needed anymore with the clans running about. it is alot harder now to back stab with lots of SLs and SPLs

Edited by Bigbacon, 09 July 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#5 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHiding behind my Dragon's centre torso

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

I've recently been experimenting with SPLs myself. The extremely short range is the major drawback.

The only real benefit is the short cycle time. It feels better than ML with regards to blowing off components and getting kills. I've got quite few kills with my 7SPL Firestarter, but rarely do much damage.

That said, a lot of my "kills" are really bad assault pilots who let me literally walk up to them and volley them repeatedly in the back. Heck, I could probably have killed them with flamers....

Verdict: A fun change of pace, as it FORCEs you to use a different playstyle, but in 95% of situations a ML will be better and more versatile. I'd recommend SPLs for a holiday, but not a permanent lifestyle choice.

#6 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

I use em all the time on Firestarter(8SPL + range module) and Nova(12SPL + 4MG).

I like them because they feel like laser machineguns. Are they good? Only if you fire multiples within range. If you chainfire like i do, no they pretty much crap. If you play them smart, get quickly behind enemy mech, you can murder ANY assault in seconds.
The beutifull thing with SPL is dat fire rate, so when you boat them you can unload over 20damage every second.

Would i recommend them? Yes if you have the mindset for those builds. Forget everything they tough you about being a light and wellcome to the glorius Close Quarter Brawling.

Edited by Turist0AT, 12 July 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#7 Spokes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

:P

#8 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

I'm a fan of the FS9-H with SPLs and MGs. The range limitation requires a much different playstyle than MLs. It's a close range skirmisher that does best either by isolating a mech 1v1 or performing hit-and-run attacks once both sides have engaged at close range.

#9 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

SPLs aren't that bad. They are my primary build on my Locust 3M, and since everyone forward-focuses their armor, I can usually strip back armor in a hit or two. I kind of wish they'd crit a little more/harder, but they're pretty adequate for ripping off any component you can get all the damage onto, which is far easier than you can with MLs. The range is really short, but that almost never seems to matter, since even when I am legged and can't really move, the enemy comes to me. I killed a Jagermech that chased me around a corner on frozen city once. They might not be ideal, and you might be able to do almost as well for half the tonnage with SLs, but I really like them.

I want to say it generally takes me about 5-6 perfect hits to back-core an assault. It's surprisingly easy, since a lot of people seem to ignore you until they've taken internal damage, which is usually on the second hit.

#10 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

The only mech i use them on is My HBK 4P,, I run a pair of ER-LL's in the arms, and 4 SMP's in the hump.. You can use 6, if ya drop to LL's.. But i save the space and add 2 more heatsinks.. though if you don't mind running hot, you can still go with 6 and ERLL's, but you do run HOT! You also need to use some restraint, when up close and just stick with those SMP's, it does pay off in DPS in the long run.

I have been trying to find other mechs to run the SMP's, like the energy based 5 slot thunder bolt, but i could not get it to work, and ended up with a different config.. Perhaps centurians, or cicada might be something up for the task, i am not sure, but they are both next on the list of mechs that i need to play.

#11 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

I find their range too short to use them as a primary weapon. That said, I have had a lot of luck using them as back up guns on mechs who's primary weapon has a minimum range. For instance a couple of SPLs in conjunction with a PPC or two.

#12 Gunslinger76

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

I loaded up my jenner(f) with them. I found most of the time I was sticking close to the mechs anyway to make it easier to avoid their firing arc so the range loss wasn't a big deal. The heat management became better than a ML build and the damage output went up a little bit. I usually bring along the Info Gathering mod so that I can find out which components are already stripped of armor. Just to emphasize what's been said, its a different play style that you need to feel/get comfortable with to get results out of them.

#13 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

The small pulse laser has use in a very limited condition.

1. Your build uses small lasers.

2. Your build has an extra ton left over.

The SPL synergizes much better with small lasers than medium lasers because of the short beam duration, cooldown, and range.

I have a hunchback 4H build that uses an AC/20, 4 Small lasers, and a small pulse laser in the head. the SPL also gives you just a little bit extra firepower when you're completely stripped down to your head laser.

Other than that, you're usually better off either using small lasers, or using medium lasers.

#14 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

if you can use a bunch of SPLs you are better off with MLs or mix and mmatching the two

#15 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:02 AM

I think that SPLs are always useful if you're using short range builds, especially if those also include MGs and SRMs. Due to the shared range profiles, these weapons stack extremely well and can destroy exposed componens very quickly. Because you need to expose yourself quite a bit due to the short range, they lack decent punch against armored components and will likely get you in trouble though. Having something that can hit at a longer distance for a few safe pokes before engaging is reccomended.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 05 August 2014 - 07:03 AM.

#16 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:06 AM

UNLESS you're a clan mech, small pulse lasers sound very cool

and thats pretty much it.
take the firestarter, ran dozens of matches comparing spl- sl- mediums to each other.
mediums hands down, are the winner- I dont mean compare 8 mediums to 8 small lasers, I mean keep the heat index the same in smurf.........8 spl's do less damage than TWO mediums (real world battle damage/cbills/XP)
just my .02, your mileage may vary

#17 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:21 AM

No they are not.

Ranges should be something like: ML: 270 m (like now), SL 160 m, SPL 130 m.

Currently the range drop from mediums to smalls is too steep.

#18 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

Small Pulse Laser Locust
LCT-3M
| Mech          | Played | Wins | Losses | Ratio | Kills | Deaths | KDR  | Damage | XP     | 
| LOCUST LCT-3M |   42   |  24  |   18   | 1.33  |   44  | 20     | 2.20 | 11,287 | 34,664 |

Small Laser Locust
LCT-1E
| Mech          | Played | Wins | Losses | Ratio | Kills | Deaths | KDR  | Damage | XP     |
| LOCUST LCT-1E	|   14   |   6 	|    8   | 0.75	 |  15   |   6	  | 2.50 | 3,803  | 15,254 |

Use the both of them almost exclusively for Conquest PUGging. Both fun! I don't use a*strikes.

Edited by Myke Pantera, 14 August 2014 - 05:39 AM.

#19 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

fun experiment: Take any mech capable of 130+ , load up with SPL, at the beginning of the match jack the throttle all the way up and don't touch it anymore. Try this again with mediums.

Definitely an acquired taste and a unique playstyle, but they have their place. Try them yourself before you let someone else tell you they're useless. (For me they looked horrible on "paper" but real world performance was surprising)

Okay, as an aside, you can scratch stuff with mediums at a much longer range, but on a fast light you need to be moving right?
Moving as you should be, lets say at... 200 meters or so... how much of that medium laser's burn can you keep on a component reliably?

Now the smalls force you into close quarters real hard, but with that split second beam duration they're practically point and click., and if you're hauling arse, (as you should be), thats a boon.. I won't stand on my soapbox and try to sell them as "Must Haves" or anything, like many have mentioned, it's a very specific playstyle, but... just try it yourself.

EDIT: Dogfighting with other fast lights! Try it there also

Edited by juxstapo, 14 August 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#20 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

Jenner 7F with 6 SPLs really pisses off LRM boats and Stalkers. Run up from the flank, stay behind them, chain fire in two groups of 3 (so you always burn 2 SPLs at a time) and near continuous fire. I can usually fire for over 2 minutes without cool down. Aim for the legs and watch them squirm. Love this build. But, you must be fast, and they must be isolated. Your team will love you because those LRMs won't be going down range when the boat is rolling like an Indonesian ferry.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ad1a249f4425c99

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users