30 replies to this topic

#21 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

You forgot to mention Capping points in Conquest.

#22 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

This typically happens to me in my Atlas and I do the distraction/shield thing. If a friendly is getting pounded, I'll stand in between and let them reposition. Usually don't last long, but it does buy my teammates some time.

Helps that I don't give a rip about K/D.

#23 Cricket504

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 64 posts
  • LocationZeeland, MI

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:41 AM

The fist post in this thread should be pined and mandatory reading . Was in a match with friends and it was late in the match. I was in a LRM Stalker and out of LRM's. I had 2 ML's but too much open ground between us and the remaining mech on the other side. But my teammates had plenty of ranged weapons so I was the bait and meat shield. Using my ML's as distraction, others who were dead on our team where going on about closing range. They never did pick up that a slow stalker would be dead before the ML's were in range, but as the bait, I kept the fire off my damaged team members that had effective weapons.

Edited by Cricket504, 17 July 2014 - 06:42 AM.

#24 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostBront, on 17 July 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

You forgot to mention Capping points in Conquest.

Or capping base (but don't kill yourself on those turrets!)

#25 DustySkunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

Just updated the OP to reflect suggestions you guys have made. It now includes Capping and blocking (under the Punching Bag section). Thanks for all of the positive feedback and suggestions, everyone!

#26 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 16 July 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

It's also worth mentioning that a weaponless 'mech makes a hilariously effective roadblock- if you can get in behind an enemy who's trying to retreat backwards from combat, you can keep them in your allies' line of fire longer- sometimes they won't even figure out that it's another 'mech back there keeping them from moving. I've used this with certain smaller 'mechs even while still holding weaponry, and as long as you can move well enough to get into someone's rear facing, you can really just sort of do this with any 'mech you drive.

This is my preferred, unfortunately you also occasionally get hit by team-mates and sometimes even killed by them. They are less appreciative of the roadblock technique then...

#27 Cruxs

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMy parents basment.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

I was in a match where I legged a spider right as he shot off my last weapon. His other leg was bright red so I rammed him and killed him. It was by far my favorite kill he was pissed, so it can happen.

I would also like to add stay with your team but stay out of the way and be another red dot. It makes your team look more imposing. I am always checking the kill count during a match to see if my team is up on kills. If the other team has 3 Mechs left and you have 3 plus your useless Mech. You have the mental advantage if they don't know you are weaponless. Your blob is bigger and potentially more dangerous.

Love the post thanks.

#28 DustySkunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

View Postcruxholzer, on 28 July 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

I was in a match where I legged a spider right as he shot off my last weapon. His other leg was bright red so I rammed him and killed him. It was by far my favorite kill he was pissed, so it can happen.

I would also like to add stay with your team but stay out of the way and be another red dot. It makes your team look more imposing. I am always checking the kill count during a match to see if my team is up on kills. If the other team has 3 Mechs left and you have 3 plus your useless Mech. You have the mental advantage if they don't know you are weaponless. Your blob is bigger and potentially more dangerous.

Love the post thanks.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I had a good chuckle over hearing how you stomped that Spider. I can only imagine how pissed he was ;)

In regard to the ramming: yes it can happen, and be very memorable indeed when it's pulled off successfully. However I feel it's irresponsible to promote it as a valid tactic for effectively contributing to the team when there are other things you can do that have a much better chance of being helpful. The likelyhood of actually being effective when ramming is almost nil, and as a tactic it is highly situational at best. Sinced closed beta, I may have seen it pulled off successfully... twice? Maybe three times? Compare that to the times I've been spectacting a dude trying to ram and just cringing as he either gets his face shot off or accomplishes exactly nothing.... and frankly there's no comparison. Hence, I give it a nod in the guide and acknowledge the "lol" factor but don't outright recommend it.

That doesn't stop me from enjoying it and giving due props when it DOES happen though! B)

#29 Icewraith

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

In the right area, you can make yourself an obstruction. Had a number of mechs charge out of the tunnel on forest colony to brawl, I lost all my atlas' weapons. There was a victor (Maybe? It's been quite a while.) hanging back in the tunnel, so I pinned him to the wall and kept him there, and twisted so his fire had to go through my ruined side torsos (do those still transmit damage at 50%?). It took him quite a while to kill me, and in the meantime his buddies were essentially down an assault mech in a brawl.

This tactic wouldn't have worked in an open area at the time, since the victor could have just jumped over me. However, since the recent JJ nerf, it should work against most larger mechs, or at least hinder them greatly even when there's not a tunnel.

IIRC we ended up winning. This won't work as well for lighter mechs (or against dire wolves for very long), but if you're in something more substantial you can tie up one of your opponents as long as your allies have other targets to shoot at.

#30 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

Ramming can be also used to throw off an opponent's aim. Highly situational. In fact only used it once in a very benny hill last minute of a game. AC jag against me in a bingo ammo clpt(lrm and ssrm no mls) and a single erll spider. Jag noticed I was out of ammo and ignored me. Spider starts to circle. As the jag starts to get his aim on the spider I ram repeatly. Throws his aim off. Turns to shoot me, spider hits him. He turns to shoot spider I ram he misses. Repeat many times. This went on for well over a minute. Wish I had recorded it.

#31 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

I just want to add LRM shield to the list. Throwing yourself behind your fleeing teammate may let them survive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users