31 replies to this topic

#1 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

It would be very helpful if in addition to viewing teamates name and percentage of health by pressing 'Q,' we could also view their weapon loadout and body armor status.

This is info that would normally be available in real-life battlefield of the future. Maybe by holding Q for 4 seconds, a second window can pop-up revealing the info of the blue triangle you are focusing on.

This info is very important and will help when strategizing your next move!

#2 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

I like the idea, but I believe they would have to implement a system that allows you to target Friendly Mechs (like the older MW titles) that would then show up like an Enemy Mech... but I would suggest the target info speed for a Friendly Mech should be half the normal time it would take to obtain from an Enemy Mech (for balance and all).

Edited by Grendel408, 10 July 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#3 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 10 July 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

I like the idea, but I believe they would have to implement a system that allows you to target Friendly Mechs (like the older MW titles) that would then show up like an Enemy Mech... but I would suggest the target info speed for a Friendly Mech should be half the normal time it would take to obtain from an Enemy Mech (for balance and all).

They can probably use the same system used when you target an enemy mech. You know how when you press 'R' and it targets the enemy mech that is nearest your reticle? They can use that programming to target the friendly mech that is nearest your reticle when you press and hold 'Q' for three or four seconds.

They SHOULD NOT allow targeting of friendly mechs, I believe that would confuse things.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 10 July 2014 - 12:40 PM.

#4 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

Actually... allowing to target Friendly Mechs would be good, if they can code in the ability to lockout weapons when moving your target reticle over a Friendly. This alone would prevent a lot of Friendly Fire that happens (especially for those idiots who forget they are zoomed in next to Friendlies) because I for one am tired of some fool unloading on my back armor because they're too forgetful to remember what a zoom option is.

#5 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 10 July 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

Actually... allowing to target Friendly Mechs would be good, if they can code in the ability to lockout weapons when moving your target reticle over a Friendly. This alone would prevent a lot of Friendly Fire that happens (especially for those idiots who forget they are zoomed in next to Friendlies) because I for one am tired of some fool unloading on my back armor because they're too forgetful to remember what a zoom option is.

NO. Targeting of friendly mechs is not necessary. Why do you think it is necessary? It would just add to button pressing and confusion.

Here's an example.. What if you are trying to target an enemy mech to unload some LRM's from afar or Streaks from up-close? But you keep targeting the two friendly's that are RIGHT next to him, possibly lights circling him. Say you finally target the enemy mech after several attemps but because of all the target pressing, you end up un-targetting the red mech by accident.. add to it that the pressure of being under fire at the same time or getting closed-in on.. forget about it..

I want to be able to press one button and know I will get an ENEMY TARGET and not try to precisely aim my reticle to make sure I don't target a friendly.

Adding friendly targeting will only confuse things and waste time when SECONDS count.

If there is a good enough reason to target friendlies than perhaps a second targeting button other than 'R' could be implemented so as not to confuse enemy/friendly targeting.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 10 July 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#6 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Have you ever played MechWarrior 4? When targeting a Friendly Mech... it's a different button to select. Much would be the same if they could do that here... but it's all good, you're not open to suggestion.

#7 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 10 July 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

Have you ever played MechWarrior 4? When targeting a Friendly Mech... it's a different button to select. Much would be the same if they could do that here... but it's all good, you're not open to suggestion.

What is the point of specifically targeting a friendly? Just curious. I would rather be able to use the same button (press and hold 'Q') than confuse things by adding another button to the tons we already have.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 10 July 2014 - 04:36 PM.

#8 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 10 July 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

What is the point of specifically targeting a friendly? Just curious. I would rather be able to use the same button (press and hold 'Q') than confuse things by adding another button to the tons we already have.

1- how about knowing their load-out... their intact weapons and their weak spots???!!!

2- we dont have tons of buttons right now.

#9 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 10 July 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

1- how about knowing their load-out... their intact weapons and their weak spots???!!!

2- we dont have tons of buttons right now.

Have you read the previous posts? I'm suggesting getting that info with just the Q button.. not targetting. Why make things confusing. YES there are tons of buttons.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 10 July 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#10 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 10 July 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

Have you read the previous posts? I'm suggesting getting that info with just the Q button.. not targetting. Why make things confusing. YES there are tons of buttons.

- My bad then... (actually its a good idea).

- No... there are not.!

Edited by Navid A1, 10 July 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#11 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 10 July 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

- My bad then... (actually its a good idea).

- No... there are not.!

Don't make me list all the buttons. This game has a high enough learning curve as is and it NEEDS NEW PLAYERS. JUST in game chat alone has 3 different buttons, and don't tell me you don't sometimes hit group chat when you want to hit lance chat group..

..adding unnecessary buttons is not wise.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 10 July 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#12 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

Battlefield 4 has more buttons than MWO to use... it's a FPS... ever play the older MechWarrior titles... those were simulator type games... TONS of buttons to use... this is simple compared to that.

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 10 July 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

My point? Holding Q when you've got around 6 Mechs stacked on your HUD, how easy would that be to determine who's got what for armor and weapons left? That's my point... adding another button would not complicate things at all.

Edited by Grendel408, 10 July 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#13 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 10 July 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

My point? Holding Q when you've got around 6 Mechs stacked on your HUD, how easy would that be to determine who's got what for armor and weapons left? That's my point... adding another button would not complicate things at all.

This would get away with that because it isn't an urgent function. You're not going to try and get a loadout readout of a teammate in the middle of battle.. no, you're going to do it when it's calm and you have lots of time to aim your little reticle.

View PostGrendel408, on 10 July 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

Battlefield 4 has more buttons than MWO to use... it's a FPS... ever play the older MechWarrior titles... those were simulator type games... TONS of buttons to use... this is simple compared to that.

This game has a much higher learning curve than Battlefield, obviously. You played one shooter, you played em all.. This game is different! Also, this game needs new players and should keep it as simple as possible for the noobs to stick around.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 10 July 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#14 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...re-suggestions/

#15 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 10 July 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

This would get away with that because it isn't an urgent function. You're not going to try and get a loadout readout of a teammate in the middle of battle.. no, you're going to do it when it's calm and you have lots of time to aim your little reticle.

This game has a much higher learning curve than Battlefield, obviously. You played one shooter, you played em all.. This game is different! Also, this game needs new players and should keep it as simple as possible for the noobs to stick around.

Actually... I'd like to know in the middle of a battle if the teammate next to me is going to drop... luckily most of the time I can ask my teammate on Mumble. This game has about as much of a learning curve as BF4, really... both are simple. You're a walking tank in this... this game is different from other FPS, but have you played TitanFall? Not much different there either. You claim the game needs more players like you have knowledge that MWO is somehow slipping into the abyss. I've recruited plenty of people into my unit over the last couple months that are new to the game and love it despite never playing a previous MechWarrior title ever... while others have and really don't complain about the simplicity of MWO. This game is simple, it's not like COD or BF4 where you can run around aimlessly and do a moderate job of leveling up... this requires teamwork. The emphasis the Devs have been putting forth is for teamwork, hence the new Match Maker system to allow larger diverse groups. I'd like to kindly ask if the Devs could move this to the Suggestions threads because this isn't really about Patch Feedback.

#16 senaiboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 372 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Mechwarrior 4's friendly-targeting system is good enough.

It's not in the midst of a battle that I need to check on my teammates, it's usually the short calm periods in between. Does my zombie teammate still have CT weapons? Is the friendly Stalker beside me a brawler build, or a LRM boat? Etc, etc. Targeting friendly gives you quick, easily read information.

Having to hold Q for a few seconds, and then trying to read letters against variable terrain lighting/colours, ain't nobody got time for that.

#17 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 11 July 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

Actually... I'd like to know in the middle of a battle if the teammate next to me is going to drop... luckily most of the time I can ask my teammate on Mumble.

I honestly doubt in the HEAT OF BATTLE your going to try to find out the status of your mate instead of trying to get shots on the enemy or saving your own skin... even on comms, I've never asked my mate if he has 'weapons' or 'low armor' in the middle of a battle, that's just silly.. but whatever you say.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 11 July 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#18 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

View Postsenaiboy, on 11 July 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

Mechwarrior 4's friendly-targeting system is good enough.

It's not in the midst of a battle that I need to check on my teammates, it's usually the short calm periods in between. Does my zombie teammate still have CT weapons? Is the friendly Stalker beside me a brawler build, or a LRM boat? Etc, etc. Targeting friendly gives you quick, easily read information.

Having to hold Q for a few seconds, and then trying to read letters against variable terrain lighting/colours, ain't nobody got time for that.

It can temporarily replace your own armor/weapon status windows while pressing Q.

Like I (and you) said, you will only use this function when it's calm so it's not that difficult to press Q for a few seconds. It would be MORE difficult if yet another button for secondary targeting was implemented, further complicating a complicated game.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 11 July 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#19 senaiboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

There are other issues though. What about if there are multiple friendlies next to me? You'll either need to re-press the Q button for a few second, or introduce another button to scroll?

Or how long does the information replace your own status? If it's as long as you hold it, if you want to quickly check your teammate again would you need to re-press Q for a few more seconds?

I disagree that adding another button complicates the game, it could be introduced in the tutorial and easily learned and figured out. In fact, giving the SAME button TWO different functions is going to confuse players even more - I for one tend to hold Q for a more than a few seconds just to see which directions my teammates are heading (when they are out of sight).

Edited by senaiboy, 12 July 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#20 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

View Postsenaiboy, on 12 July 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

There are other issues though. What about if there are multiple friendlies next to me? You'll either need to re-press the Q button for a few second, or introduce another button to scroll?

Or how long does the information replace your own status? If it's as long as you hold it, if you want to quickly check your teammate again would you need to re-press Q for a few more seconds?

I disagree that adding another button complicates the game, it could be introduced in the tutorial and easily learned and figured out. In fact, giving the SAME button TWO different functions is going to confuse players even more - I for one tend to hold Q for a more than a few seconds just to see which directions my teammates are heading (when they are out of sight).

Thank you. I was looking for reasons to have a secondary targeting button and these may just be them. However holding the Q button should not cause confusion when determining teamates movement, all it will do is replace your status windows.. not sure how this will confuse you. They can glow a different color for teamates status to further alleviate confusion.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 13 July 2014 - 08:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users