#41 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:58 AM

ShadowHawk, without dubs!

Actually I'm having good time mastering trebbies as secondary support LRM, and brawling around with Loup de guerre.

I enjoyed the laser Hunchback, but since it was nerfed I get bored.

Cicada ecm+2ppc. But I feel like it's the only one I enjoyed, and you need 3 for mastering.

Then all depends how you feel piloting them, you preferred role, and so on.

#42 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

Shadowhawk is the king of the mediums, hands down.

Wolverine is a SOLID second choice.

#43 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:30 PM

So should I invest into Griffins or Wolverines if I want a durable or nimble skirmishing mech?

<-- Sour former Trenchbucket pilot.

#44 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:54 AM

View PostAirmanator, on 21 September 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

So should I invest into Griffins or Wolverines if I want a durable or nimble skirmishing mech?

Both can work, the choice is do you want JJs or not? Griffins can have a LOT of JJs in them. They run energy and missile builds well. SRM brawling griffins are terrifying to run into, and (ER)LL ones can skirmish easily. They can also be quite good with LRMs. Just watch for the single side issues they have. Most weapons are usually gonna be on one side.

http://www.mwo.smurfy-net.de should give you an idea of what you can do with them.

#45 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:04 AM

*sigh* No BlackJack Love it would seem?
I find the BJ to actually be a very decent Mech, it can hill peak and fire (which is great for Caustic/Canyon etc etc) and if you are willing to risk an XL engine ( I do, but I'm a special type of Crazy) you can be nimble and very much a support mech to your bigger brothers.

Yes the SH has 10 Tons on you, but you are smaller, and more agile, better suited as well to killing Lights and teaming up in wolfpack killer groups.
Plus a few models sport JJ's for added mobility.

My thoughts at least,

ST

#46 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostSoul Tribunal, on 22 September 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

*sigh* No BlackJack Love it would seem?
I find the BJ to actually be a very decent Mech, it can hill peak and fire (which is great for Caustic/Canyon etc etc) and if you are willing to risk an XL engine ( I do, but I'm a special type of Crazy) you can be nimble and very much a support mech to your bigger brothers.

Yes the SH has 10 Tons on you, but you are smaller, and more agile, better suited as well to killing Lights and teaming up in wolfpack killer groups.
Plus a few models sport JJ's for added mobility.

My thoughts at least,

ST

Read the previous pages, there was some serious BJ lovin' IIRC.

#47 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

Read the previous pages, there was some serious BJ lovin' IIRC.

I went through them again (I had the first time) and I see lots of love for other Mechs, but not my Illustrious BJ.

-ST

#48 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostSoul Tribunal, on 22 September 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

I went through them again (I had the first time) and I see lots of love for other Mechs, but not my Illustrious BJ.

-ST

This needs fixin'.

BlackJacks are basically Jagermechs on a diet. They can even mount som similar builds, like the boomjack with 2xAC20s. Because of the weapon models on the BJ, most people think you're running AC2s, or 5s, and then WHAM! Their left side is evaporated.

They are also great suppression mechs.
Accurate display at 0:32

Loads of dakka, and my favorite of the bunch was (before the Arrow showed up) the BJ1-X. Max XL engine, almost full frontal armor, 6 MLs in the arms, and 2 MPLs in the torsos. Named him Boxer, cause he punched like one.

#49 LegioIV

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 33 posts
  • Location66th Avalon hussars.

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

I prefer A centurion AL or A Grif 1n with A high alpha. ( A clan buster type variant) suppression and pin point around the flanks, A lot of torso twist (you can spread the damage around) With a Grif you can jump in front, splash them with dmg and run away while your front twisted so you can shoot and take front dmg.

#50 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

still amazed at the lack of Kintaro love....such a great platform. I just finished eliting cicadas today and they are rubbish. I see why I stopped using them long ago and still mad I stupidly bought the X5 when I really wanted the oxide though I will admit, 2x PPC cicadas do work quite well. with the double XP I had a round in one today where I got over 13,000xp with 2xPPC + 2x ML.

they are stripped now waiting for the next 2x XP weekend.

Still think the KTO-18, Golden Boy, and the 20 are solid performers. i think the GB is one of the most fun mechs I own. Nothing like trucking around with a boat load of SRMs at 105+

#51 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

People, the original post's question was which to take between the Griffin, the Wolverine, and the Shadow Hawk.

Lots of Medium 'mechs are perfectly good, but only those three are relevant to the actual question.

#52 K0M3D14N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 22 September 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

People, the original post's question was which to take between the Griffin, the Wolverine, and the Shadow Hawk.

Lots of Medium 'mechs are perfectly good, but only those three are relevant to the actual question.

The OP could also be under the mistaken impressions that those three chassis are the only chassis to choose. No harm in people expanding the list of options a bit.

#53 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:15 PM

Did you read the post? They were specifically looking at those three out of nostalgia for the old, 'level one' stuff and said as much.

#54 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

Easy, fellas, we don't need a "whip 'em out and measure 'em" contest here.

#55 DragonsMaw

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

Just to give a single variant answer: ShadowHawk 2D2

There's already a lot of posts about versatility but there's another thing going for it. It's cheap. You can stuff a STD 250 engine in it and get a pretty durable mech. I've been using it like the Uziel from MW4 with a pair of PPC's and an SRM4 with machine guns or an SRM6 to keep things simple. Being able to lose a side torso and still have good hitting power means you're around in a match longer and can keep learning how to play it which is more important I think than boating and kills. You can also go for twin large lasers for a point firing hitscan mech. It definitely needs double heat sinks to make it worthwhile which is expensive but if you have that much cbills you could also go for an XL engine and Gauss rifle while sticking to single heatsinks. That makes you a bit of a glass cannon. Go for an LBX-10 with medium lasers and jump jets and you have a maneuverable brawler.

*Most* important? Almost every build you can make with this thing is fun to play.

Edited by DragonsMaw, 23 September 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#56 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:08 AM

View PostAirmanator, on 21 September 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

Centurions are always there if you dont need jump jets.You can easily solo 1-3 clan mechs with SRM-bomber Cent and survive to tell about it. CN9A is the best variant hands down.
Wolverines seem to be underrated,since they are small,and some of them have ballistic hardpoints and jump jets,on paper they are better than Griffins.
But Shadowhawk is a solid choice,if you want purely a missile medium,Griffin is good.

#57 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 22 September 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

Both can work, the choice is do you want JJs or not? Griffins can have a LOT of JJs in them. They run energy and missile builds well. SRM brawling griffins are terrifying to run into, and (ER)LL ones can skirmish easily. They can also be quite good with LRMs. Just watch for the single side issues they have. Most weapons are usually gonna be on one side.

http://www.mwo.smurfy-net.de should give you an idea of what you can do with them.

Should be mentioned- the jumping Wolverines (6R and 7K) mount up to 7 jump jets just like Griffins- it's just that one of the WVRs has no jets at all.

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 24 September 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#58 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:52 PM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 24 September 2014 - 09:25 PM, said:

Should be mentioned- the jumping Wolverines (6R and 7K) mount up to 7 jump jets just like Griffins- it's just that one of the WVRs has no jets at all.

Yeah, the 6K Wolverine is kind of a piece of poo. Yeah, it has a huge engine cap, but no jets, only 1 missile hardpoint with 10-tubes (forcing LRM15s and 20s to launch in 2 salvos), and a host of energy hardpoints in the right arm... And, of course, the Wolverine head laser. Maybe I'd be more forgiving of it if the Inner Sphere had Streaks in 4 and 6 packs, but as is I just don't like it.

#59 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:04 AM

Frankly, my favorites remain the Hunchback, Centurion, and Shadowhawk, in that order. They're just tough Mechs that can mount a lot of offensive weaponry while still remaining maneuverable. While the HBK may not be competitive any more, I still find it to be the most fun to pilot. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users