• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 29 July 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

Yes, I figured as much. It would be interesting to have ECM pods like that, but I would rather instead we got ECM field Consumables. Much like Arty and Air strike. You point at a location, and drop them down. last about 30 seconds or so.

I would love to use them in flanking maneuvers to keep my lance hidden, though I guess in a way, they would make any mech "ECM capable" even if it's for 30 seconds.

Honestly, I think that is how ECM should work - temporarily. Instead of the static bubble, you should have to activate it, it would last 30 seconds or so, and then have a cooldown of 30-60 seconds.

Another option would be to have ECM only give the equipped mech sensor immunity, and the bubble would just provide the lock delay to allied mechs (not immunity).

For modules, I think smoke - not just the little red puff of arty, but actual obscuring, billowing smoke - would be a great tactical addition to the game. It is one of the most fundamental tools in today's military.

Another would be the flashbang, which would be just like smoke but affect heat/night vision instead, frying those sensors for 30 seconds.

#382 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

View PostCimarb, on 29 July 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

Honestly, I think that is how ECM should work - temporarily. Instead of the static bubble, you should have to activate it, it would last 30 seconds or so, and then have a cooldown of 30-60 seconds.

Another option would be to have ECM only give the equipped mech sensor immunity, and the bubble would just provide the lock delay to allied mechs (not immunity).

For modules, I think smoke - not just the little red puff of arty, but actual obscuring, billowing smoke - would be a great tactical addition to the game. It is one of the most fundamental tools in today's military.

Another would be the flashbang, which would be just like smoke but affect heat/night vision instead, frying those sensors for 30 seconds.

In an "ECM is OP nerf now" thread, I suggested that the bubble should stay, and instead of stealth what happens is that you can TARGET the enemy mechs under the bubble, but you can't get LOCK-ONs for LRMs and SSRMs on the mechs under the bubble.

That way you do get some form of counter-measure in there, and information warfare stays alive, but you don't get the invisibility cloud.

#383 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

Not sure if this is where I inquire my question, but whatever.

What is the methodology of the Clan Mech release to the general public? 1 per month? A big bundle? Something in between?

Also, what is the approximate price of a Clan Mech?

Edited by DavidHurricane, 30 July 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#384 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 30 July 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

Not sure if this is where I inquire my question, but whatever.

What is the methodology of the Clan Mech release to the general public? 1 per month? A big bundle? Something in between?

Also, what is the approximate price of a Clan Mech?

http://mwomercs.com/...elease-schedule

#385 PhobiaOne

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

The new Module system is crap! I don't use Consumables, and I don't use the crappy ass Weapon Modules. I use 3 Mech Modules, and I use the same ones on all my Mechs (some only have 2 slots, but I still use 2 of them in ALL my Mechs). What a stupid crappy change. FIX THE GAME, and get Community Warfare out instead of messing with stuff that doesn't need changed!

#386 ebea51

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

PGI PLS MAKE THE NEW SWAMP/JUNGLE MAP LIKE THIS!!
(the URL and picture-link options aren't working for me - copy n paste url PLS)

http://punakettu.dev...opico-309917820

Its awesome!

#387 Phellian

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

View Postebea51, on 03 August 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

PGI PLS MAKE THE NEW SWAMP/JUNGLE MAP LIKE THIS!!
(the URL and picture-link options aren't working for me - copy n paste url PLS)

http://punakettu.dev...opico-309917820

Its awesome!

Ah the Warhammer. If PGI can sort out the Robotech thing, the last of the unseens would fund them for years to come if they drop them like they dropped the clan mechs. Hell I might buy a gold Warhammer!

#388 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostPhellian, on 04 August 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Ah the Warhammer. If PGI can sort out the Robotech thing, the last of the unseens would fund them for years to come if they drop them like they dropped the clan mechs. Hell I might buy a gold Warhammer!

Yeah, too bad Harmony Gold, A.K.A. Satan's tutor, is not going to release that.

#389 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostPhellian, on 04 August 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

I would have to agree on the Gold Warhammer. I might have even went for the Gold Hellbringer as a substitute, since it is really close and I know we shall never, ever see the Warhammer...

#390 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

Honestly, I would love to see the battlefield covered with Archer's, Crusader's, Phoenix Hawk's, Warhammer's, Riflemen, Longbow's, Stinger's, Wasp's and, of course, the Marauder. I think I just came up short of breath, there, hehe... If you change the design by 10% or more, and Flying Debris is the king of that sort of thing -as NONE of the 'Mechs in the game, right now, look exactly like their TRO counterparts, they look WAYYYY cooler, even the Phoenix-style BattleMaster, for pete's sake-, HG, the Agrama Brothers, Tatsunoko, Big West, Studio Nue... NO ONE could pitch a fit. I know these 'Mechs are iconic, and they could remain so, with a 10% change.

PGI declared, in Dev Blog 0, that Harmony Gold had NOTHING to do with how this game is being developed, and that they would receive no problems from HG, or anyone else, about it, but they've yet to introduce these other 'Mechs. If they do, however, I hope they wait until I'm in a good job and caught up on all of my bills. I missed the Phoenix packs, I won't be missing this one, if I can help it.

#391 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 05 August 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

PGI declared, in Dev Blog 0, that Harmony Gold had NOTHING to do with how this game is being developed, and that they would receive no problems from HG, or anyone else, about it, but they've yet to introduce these other 'Mechs. If they do, however, I hope they wait until I'm in a good job and caught up on all of my bills. I missed the Phoenix packs, I won't be missing this one, if I can help it.

That's because HG has no impact on development. PGI's statements are saying nothing about lawsuits for use of copy-righted material. You see, the real problem isn't in the game's development. It's the introduction of a mech that HG has been suing half the planet over for the last 2 decades.

#392 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

And much to their own detriment, unfortunately. Perhaps, at the time, HG felt that Robotech was going to be a much larger property than it turned into. I dare say that BattleTech and, by extension, the MechWarrior, MechCommander, and MechAssault games have had much greater success than Robotech, by far.

Okay, so Palladium is doing Robotech as an RPG, a movie for it is in Development Hell, the Robotech: Tactics board game is in the works, and they're working on new books and a new cartoon, but that's no where close to the success FASA, and her successors, have had with BattleTech.

Honestly, HG, Big West, the Agrama and Tatsunoko folks, need to come off of this lawsuit garbage, and I think they would find a ground swell of new support from BattleTech fans.

#393 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 05 August 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

And much to their own detriment, unfortunately. Perhaps, at the time, HG felt that Robotech was going to be a much larger property than it turned into. I dare say that BattleTech and, by extension, the MechWarrior, MechCommander, and MechAssault games have had much greater success than Robotech, by far.

Okay, so Palladium is doing Robotech as an RPG, a movie for it is in Development Hell, the Robotech: Tactics board game is in the works, and they're working on new books and a new cartoon, but that's no where close to the success FASA, and her successors, have had with BattleTech.

Honestly, HG, Big West, the Agrama and Tatsunoko folks, need to come off of this lawsuit garbage, and I think they would find a ground swell of new support from BattleTech fans.

If they had stopped being the pr*cks that they are, this IP would've been twice it's size tbh.

GW has similar problems with it's license, but at least all of it's works are owned by one company, and their video games have been doing pretty darn good in the market. In fact, I dare say 40K is growing. Warhammer Fantasy needs some serious love though.

#394 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 05 August 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

If they had stopped being the pr*cks that they are, this IP would've been twice it's size tbh.
Well, what's funny is this, before the lawsuits, BattleTech had around 25,000,000 players worldwide, and that was for the tabletop. The average, and I think I've quoted these numbers before, of online players for any of the past MechWarrior communities has always been around 73,000 people. However, 525,000 people signed up to these forums prior to August 2012, so we KNOW the community was going to be much larger. If the Robotech owners, who are always varied and many, would work together with the BattleTech owners, they could profit a good deal from this IP, as well as getting the Robotech IP up on its feet, again, and making even more money that way. Bullishly hanging onto art that was not theirs to claim in the first place has been the worst business decision they could ever have made.

Warhammer Fantasy needs some serious love though.
Are we talking Battles, or Role-Playing, or both? Are we talking doing something unlike the train wreck that was Age of Reckoning? I would love to see a WFRP 2nd Edition MMORPG.

#395 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 05 August 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Well, what's funny is this, before the lawsuits, BattleTech had around 25,000,000 players worldwide, and that was for the tabletop. The average, and I think I've quoted these numbers before, of online players for any of the past MechWarrior communities has always been around 73,000 people. However, 525,000 people signed up to these forums prior to August 2012, so we KNOW the community was going to be much larger. If the Robotech owners, who are always varied and many, would work together with the BattleTech owners, they could profit a good deal from this IP, as well as getting the Robotech IP up on its feet, again, and making even more money that way. Bullishly hanging onto art that was not theirs to claim in the first place has been the worst business decision they could ever have made.

Exactly my thinking. I have no idea why they insist on stupidly losing money by holding on this IP, and NOT letting anyone use it.

Also, if PGI could really hurry up with fixing their mistakes (they are doing that now), we would be getting plenty of those 500,000+ players who first signed up for the forums, back into the game.

View PostKay Wolf, on 05 August 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Are we talking Battles, or Role-Playing, or both? Are we talking doing something unlike the train wreck that was Age of Reckoning? I would love to see a WFRP 2nd Edition MMORPG.

All of that, and then some (A few single player games, RTSs or RPGs, or whatever, would be handy as well)

#396 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:04 AM

I would not mind an rpg. That go so many directions

#397 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:27 AM

The 2nd Edition of WFRP is magnificent, I own all 27 of the books that were put out for it, whether in hardcover, softcover, or PDF from DriveThru, and I absolutely love every corner Green Ronin delved into with that game. If they made an MMORPG JUST LIKE IT, with an open world, and happenstance players could stumble on, such as ancient haunted battlefields, Karaz-a-Karak, or even just working to defend an apple-stealing thief in a small town that has been waiting for a traveling Judge to come through, I would have OH SO MUCH FUN with that.

I would have, however, even with PGIs fouls with this game, a VERY hard time leaving it, however. BattleTech is in my blood, I'm afraid.

#398 EekaBlitzer

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Suggestion for MWO from a relative noob...
Could the tonnage of the mech, and possible if its Clan or not, be used to generate a modifier to a players ELO, so that the lighter the mech the lower ELO rating will mean that they can still, on average, earn a decent x/p and c-bill return for their time ?

#399 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

You have a different ELO for each weight class.
So Light, Medium, Heavy and Assault are different based on your performance.

However, what would be better is if they used BV (Battle Value).
Where tonnage, damage, weight, amount of armour, etc, all has a value, which added up makes the mechs Battle Value.

So (using the tabletop BV values) A locust with a Medium Laser and 2 Machine guns would be BV 432.
But with 2 Medium and 2 Small, it's BV553.

Then combined with an ELO modifier would give you a way to match tonnage and skill levels as evenly as possible.

Not entirely sure how you'd translate it across to MWO, but I can't help but feel a good base point would be 1BV per point of armour and go from there.

Edited by Ovion, 06 August 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#400 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostOvion, on 06 August 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

You have a different ELO for each weight class.
So Light, Medium, Heavy and Assault are different based on your performance.

However, what would be better is if they used BV (Battle Value).
Where tonnage, damage, weight, amount of armour, etc, all has a value, which added up makes the mechs Battle Value.

So (using the tabletop BV values) A locust with a Medium Laser and 2 Machine guns would be BV 432.
But with 2 Medium and 2 Small, it's BV553.

Then combined with an ELO modifier would give you a way to match tonnage and skill levels as evenly as possible.

Not entirely sure how you'd translate it across to MWO, but I can't help but feel a good base point would be 1BV per point of armour and go from there.

Part of BV was the pilot's skill level as well.

However, since the closest thing we have to that is ELO, and it's iffy at best right now. BV implementation could possibly be worse than what we have right now.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users