Dragon

29 replies to this topic

#21 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

Tesunie had it right

Same goes for the Quickdraw, and the Awesome. I would say in fact, expecting to play all heavy mechs "like a heavy" or lights "like a light" is a foolish way of looking at things. You play a Dragon, in Dragon style, and you play an Awesome in... uh, Awesome style :)

Some chassis make it easier for the run of the mill mouth-breathing button masher to be successful but with other mechs, IE the Dragon or Quickdraw you need to be a bit more of an "artiste" and you better be precise with those shots

Edited by cSand, 14 July 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#22 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

Just realized the Dragon suffers the same problem as the Locust, Jenner, Raven, Cicada, Catapult and Stalker: A horizontal chassis. Other than the Stalker and Raven, it is probably the worst offender of such a geometric flaw in it's design. This is what makes those mechs so squishy as compared to tall/thin/shallow designs on humanoid chassis. It's also what makes them easier to hit with guided weaponry.

If they brought back collision damage and knockdown, it (and other 'big nose' chassis) would blossom into the valuable flanking mech it is SUPPOSED to be.

BTW, after playing some rounds of Megamek, I realize we really do need the return of Knockdown, collision damage, melee and fighting from the ground.

Edited by Kjudoon, 14 July 2014 - 01:34 PM.

#23 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

Huh...expected you to be aligned with House Kurita...

#24 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:52 AM

View PostModo44, on 14 July 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

The STD300 allows for AC20+4xML. This is a decent brawler when you know the maps enough to not die while closing in.

For a really powerful setup, take XL350, Endo, Ferro, Gauss+4xML. You can peek over ridges, but the mech only shines if you learn to fire on the move. The speed helps you offset the huge CT (being an easy target).

I did put in XL300, using Gauss which I need to get used to having never used one before. I have the same issue here as I had with the cataphract (which I sold) is those damn arms. Never know when they are blocked and if I get caught by a light I am toast every time...

wish the 4 ERLL/4LL wasn't such a heat beast....that is my kind of setup. guess I just need to play around with it more. I hould try the AC20 + 4 ML

#25 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

Don't hill hump if you want to use your arms. Better to approach from the side of a rock. If you can see your target you will hit it. Even better is to peek out reversing. Peek out, see target and start forward to hide even before you shoot. The arms stick out so much that you will hit your target even tho your screen is only showing rock

#26 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 16 July 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

I did put in XL300, using Gauss which I need to get used to having never used one before. I have the same issue here as I had with the cataphract (which I sold) is those damn arms. Never know when they are blocked and if I get caught by a light I am toast every time...

wish the 4 ERLL/4LL wasn't such a heat beast....that is my kind of setup. guess I just need to play around with it more. I hould try the AC20 + 4 ML

This is the ending build I chose for my Dragon (which can fit on any dragon! as far as I can recall). UAC5 and LL helps with range as well as with Lights due to faster fire rate (more chances to hit) and splash damage. If a light gets close to you, open up with those SSRMs and make their day highly unpleasant. I actually actively hunt down lights with this mech.

I run my Dragon one of two ways:
1. Fast skirmisher, team defender. I'll use my speed to run the outside edges of my team, chasing lights and attacking enemies from the side to try and relieve pressure on my teammates.
2. Run with the lights! You provide some armor for them, distraction, and a couple of heavier weapons to go with them. You don't move as fast as they do, but if they are smart, they will slow themselves a little to stay just in front of you.

#27 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

I was running a Gauss/LL build long before the trial mech came out. Despite owning clan mechs, I'm STILL regularly running it, alongside an energyboat Flame and a skirmisher Fang, both with standard engines, and I plan to reacquire the other basic chassis as well. Dragon hasn't gone anywhere, it lost all it's major popularity after Cataphract came out. A refactor for it would only come after intense pressure on PGI, and with the clans out, that won't happen.

That being said, playing a Dragon is like fighting with a rapier, compared to the longsword of a Cataphract or spear of a Timber Wolf. You have advantages over IS heavies: maneuverability & speed. Of course, you lose a lot of damage in the process, and now, you're in the same speed bracket as a Timber Wolf when employing stock engines. This means, of course, that Dragon has a new home - if you run it right in premades, then you can run it partnered with Clan mechs. Same speed tier as the Nova, Timber Wolf, Summoner and Warhawk. Less maneuverable than the Summoner, less direct firepower than the TW, Nova or Warhawk, and yet it means that the enemy underestimates you next to the more dangerous mechs.

Me? I just snipe or skirmish with 'em, which is a different playstyle to the "Charge!" mentality of my Timber Wolves, or my "defense through extreme firepower" ideas for Summoners.

#28 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHiding behind my Dragon's centre torso

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

I've found the clans have pretty much made my Dragon a death trap.

I used it with quite a bit of success, as its 90-105kph mobility allowed it to engage/disengage from standard IS heavies in the 65-75kph bracket. I kept 3 versions as I enjoyed using them.

Now the clans just do it better. Timberwolves, Novas and Stormcrows just run it down and rip it up.

I rarely run them any more and am just waiting on new maps before I splash for a Nova/Stormcrow.

#29 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 16 July 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

To be really effective in any Gauss mech, you need to be able to pull+aim+fire while on the move. Light mechs have real trouble tanking those 15 damage shots. If you can not trace well with lasers, lower your mouse sensitivity (considerably), Luke.

#30 OuttaAmmo NoWai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 229 posts
  • LocationNot at a macbook

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Dragon's too gimped... massive CT that can be hit from the entire forwards arc , maxed out CT armor isn't that high, can't jump, odd hardpoints (CT missile slots that can't be utilized well, I could go on)

It's just so flawed. Now that the clans are out the dragon looks even worse

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users