They Should Make An Elemental Game

13 replies to this topic

#1 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

I wish i would of became a game dev cause if i was i would want to create an elemental third person shooter game (third person like Gears of War). With a story as intriguing as Mass Effect it would be awesome. And battetech being an obscure franchise is no excuse giving that game devs have made a "warhammer space marine" game.

Let's have our elemental game and i don't mean elemental and mechs i mean just elementals!

Though it would be cool to have elementals in MWO....we would start seeing people with Elemental bloodnames :)

#2 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

Star Wars: Republic Commando.

#3 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

http://store.steampo...heck/app/55150/

#4 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

I don't understand why people are posting games that would not have the same experience as having an elemental/battle armor game. If you're going to do that, tell people to play Mechwarrior: Living Legends.

Personally I would love to play an Elemental game. I have a fond memory of one time where I had a really long fight with a Dire Wolf (and won) as a default elemental in Mechwarrior 2 when I was a kid. It made me really appreciate how huge and tough mechs are, especially everytime you go "OH ****" when the mech starts to look in your direction since they can kill you very very fast. While I think I would have played MWO a lot anyways, that fight is one of the many memories that keeps me locked within the Mechwarrior games. Though, I only did it once because it takes too long because of how terrible Elemental's damage is combined with how much armor Dire Wolves have, so after that fight I only used elementals when fighting Tarantulas as Elementals + Tarantulas are the most balanced things for them to fight since they are so underpowered it's rediculous. Whenever I wasn't using the Fire Moth, Jenner, or Mad Dog, I generally would be in the Elemental.

I don't think they'll ever give us elementals in MWO, but I would at least like to be able to have something similar to the testing grounds where you can just get outside the mech, and stare up at it from bellow to really feel how huge they are. Preferably with modified jumpjets so you can get on top of buildings and maybe the mech so you can admire it/take screenshots from different angles more easily.

#5 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostGrimwill, on 13 July 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

I wish i would of became a game dev cause if i was i would want to create an elemental third person shooter game (third person like Gears of War). With a story as intriguing as Mass Effect it would be awesome. And battetech being an obscure franchise is no excuse giving that game devs have made a "warhammer space marine" game.

Let's have our elemental game and i don't mean elemental and mechs i mean just elementals!

Though it would be cool to have elementals in MWO....we would start seeing people with Elemental bloodnames :P

I am probably going to get hate mail for this but Gears of War really sucked as well as most 3rd person shooters. As for a Battletech based infantry shooter, it boggles the mind that no one has released something like this. The gameplay concepts already have existed since 98 with Starsiege Tribes, and now Tribes Ascend. Add to that a vast amount of lore and you have yourself a hit with the right marketing.

View PostHammerMaster, on 13 July 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

One of my personal favorite games. I loved having a squad to command. Sev, Scorch, and Fixer really added to the story.

#6 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

Yes republic commando is a good game i can imagine the intro is just like what trueborn sibkos in the clans go through when growing up :P

And yes mechs as boss or one of the bosses, ust because it would be awesome to see your elemental smash through their cockpit. Gears of war is ok...it's kind of meh....but i don't know what else an elemental game can be unless it's first person shooter which is an over-saturated genre. Maybe a sandbox environment would be cool as well.

#7 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

I don't think the Gears of War gameplay should be applied to Elementals. Maybe for infantry outside of battle armor (and with more options than just magneticly sticking your back to every piece of chest-high wall you can find), just not Battle Armor. However, we hardly ever see infantry in Mechwarrior games....

I like the idea of an elemental game being a combination of sneaking around (to avoid mechs and other dangerous things), and being bold when attacking (Elementals have claws you know, latch on to mechs and get off when one of their allies starts to target you, also they are armored), and being in/commanding a squad (elementals are usually in groups afterall).
Now my knowledge on Battle Armor is quite limited right now, but I do know some Battle Armors do not have jumpjets. The question is, should you be allowed to use something that doesn't have jumpjets? It would severely limit what the player is capable in doing, and you wouldn't be able to just jump on a mech (though, I suppose you could take a long time to climb a mech)

#8 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

View PostKeeshu, on 13 July 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

I don't think the Gears of War gameplay should be applied to Elementals. Maybe for infantry outside of battle armor (and with more options than just magneticly sticking your back to every piece of chest-high wall you can find), just not Battle Armor. However, we hardly ever see infantry in Mechwarrior games....

I like the idea of an elemental game being a combination of sneaking around (to avoid mechs and other dangerous things), and being bold when attacking (Elementals have claws you know, latch on to mechs and get off when one of their allies starts to target you, also they are armored), and being in/commanding a squad (elementals are usually in groups afterall).
Now my knowledge on Battle Armor is quite limited right now, but I do know some Battle Armors do not have jumpjets. The question is, should you be allowed to use something that doesn't have jumpjets? It would severely limit what the player is capable in doing, and you wouldn't be able to just jump on a mech (though, I suppose you could take a long time to climb a mech)

I know with Tribes any person not actively using their jetpack is at a severe disadvantage over those that do (most people are traveling at 100-200kph). So anyone not able to use their jumpjets would be like taking a stock locust with only a medium laser; it is probably better to break lore and have them all jump capable. A nice feature would be that it is in a first person view (swappable to 3rd) for active fighting and when you latch on to a mech the camera switches to 3rd to give you a better field of view.

The mechanics are all available and can be designed with the right engineers on probably the Unreal 3 engine. It is just that no company thinks that they will make money off of the Battletech francise, hence the time between Mech Warrior 4 and MWO.

#9 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PostFireSlade, on 14 July 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

I know with Tribes any person not actively using their jetpack is at a severe disadvantage over those that do (most people are traveling at 100-200kph). So anyone not able to use their jumpjets would be like taking a stock locust with only a medium laser; it is probably better to break lore and have them all jump capable. A nice feature would be that it is in a first person view (swappable to 3rd) for active fighting and when you latch on to a mech the camera switches to 3rd to give you a better field of view.

The mechanics are all available and can be designed with the right engineers on probably the Unreal 3 engine. It is just that no company thinks that they will make money off of the Battletech francise, hence the time between Mech Warrior 4 and MWO.

I've only played Tribes ascend, but damn does it feel good when you have 3-5 people chasing you, and you end up taking most of them before you die because they can't aim, and because of the amount of control you have in the air. :D

I've always had a bias towards being in the air, so that's kind of why I brought up the Jumpjet subject. Also, just about everytime Elementals are seen they use jumpjets as well.

Hopefully some more companies start to realize how awesome battletech is...... Unless PGI thinks they can be clever, but not lose many resources from MWO.

#10 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostKeeshu, on 14 July 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

I've only played Tribes ascend, but damn does it feel good when you have 3-5 people chasing you, and you end up taking most of them before you die because they can't aim, and because of the amount of control you have in the air. :D

I've always had a bias towards being in the air, so that's kind of why I brought up the Jumpjet subject. Also, just about everytime Elementals are seen they use jumpjets as well.

Hopefully some more companies start to realize how awesome battletech is...... Unless PGI thinks they can be clever, but not lose many resources from MWO.

I am the same way with air fighting. It is why any mech that I have (that can) instantly gets max JJs and I tend to be airborn enough to warrant my mech to be called a LAM (not poptarting).Tribes Ascend is pretty good with the only downside being that players cannot create content for it. That was what made Tribes 1 the trend setter that it is today (you can still play it). Jetpacks really add a level of skill that no other FPS has and I could easily see it working for a Battletech infantry game. If Russ had more resources to play with I could easily see PGI taking on that sort of task as long as they stuck with an older engine that everyone knows. I think that Cryengine3 is what caused 90% of the delays and issues that we have seen. As it is I do not think that anyone will want to take that leap and fund a game that may or may not do well when they have to stick to a franchise. Even the recent X-wing reboot died before it was released (although the webbrowser based game was a stupid idea). I was really surprised when PGI decided to reboot Mech Warrior.

#11 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

Of all the games I've played, my favorite jumpjet mechanics are in Global Agenda (though you have to manage your ammo and jumpjet energy in that game. I put 1500+ hours into that game, but the game is practicly dead now sadly. I have Firefall to play now instead, which is finally going out of beta after the few years I was in it finally).

Though I do wonder how much freedom with jumpjets an elemental game should have. Should it only be jumpjetting forward like we do in most games. Or should they be able to go side-to-side, at least a little bit like Mechwarrior 2's jumpjets (good luck trying to find Gameplay footage of that, luckily NPCs [particularly Rifleman IIC] love to do it all the time and it's how I found out about it in MW2)?

#12 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

Honestly, I felt like Crysis 1, the original Crysis, did a fantastic job of depicting powered armor. The weapons took a back seat to the suit, as it should be. I mean, honestly, all a standard elemental suit has is a heavy machine gun, ERSlas, and a two shot SRM pack that disconnects from the user after it is used.

Edit: and, well, a power claw.

But why stop there? Gnome, Elemental, Sylph, Salamander... so many suit types, so little time!

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 14 July 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#13 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 13 July 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

View PostGrimwill, on 13 July 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

Yes republic commando is a good game i can imagine the intro is just like what trueborn sibkos in the clans go through when growing up :mellow:

And yes mechs as boss or one of the bosses, ust because it would be awesome to see your elemental smash through their cockpit. Gears of war is ok...it's kind of meh....but i don't know what else an elemental game can be unless it's first person shooter which is an over-saturated genre. Maybe a sandbox environment would be cool as well.

Oh yes. I have loved and still love that game. I just reinstalled it and finished the campaign (for the 4th or 5th time at least) in three days. Played non-stop for hours and completed the RAS Prosecutor campaign in 7-8 hours at hard difficulty, it was amazing :P

BTW, play MW:LL. That is a quite good Elemental experience, though a single suit is much more powerful than they actually were in lore (1 Elemental is roughly as powerful as a point of 5 i believe).

p.s. Is anyone looking for a multiplayer game of SW:RC? :P

Edited by CyclonerM, 20 July 2014 - 01:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users