Coming Back, Need Help!

8 replies to this topic

#1 Cervani

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

I'm coming back to the game after a loooong time away (6+ months) and it seems everything has changed! So I'm looking for a bit of advice to a somewhat newer player. Currently I only have a Jenner and a Raven, with the rest being the trial mechs. I'm looking for a bit more options and thought I'd ask for some opinions.

I love the dakka and the pewpew, though my raven is set up for snipe. I do admit I play medium/long range better than close range =/. The shadowhawk, blackjack and catapault seem to get the most play for me out of the trial mechs... shadowhawk the most out of them all.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking at some of the clan mechs (which are VERY expensive >.<), and even the Arrow. But I have never even seen an Arrow, so I'm a bit leery on buying it. Anyone have any suggestions for medium/long ramnge dakka'ing, or mebbe some sniping?

Edit: Would buying the full Clan pack really be worth it? It offers ALOT of mechs, but the price is a bit steep.

Edited by Pistrik, 14 July 2014 - 07:06 AM.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

How many c-bill do you have?

#3 Cervani

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

I DID have around 5m, but I bought a couple locusts to cruise around in. But any mech will do, as I have premium time and it won;t take long to grind up the bills.

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

The Blackjack is an underrated mech that can serve you well as a sniper, and three variants have JJs.

Shadowhawks are also nice, the SHD-2K would be the only one with high mount energy of the variants, but the rest have high mounted ballistics in that torso instead. I like them as close quarters Srm'ers myself.

How much do you like using missiles? There are others mechs that can also stay back and fire LRMs if you are open for other suggestions aside from the capable Catapults.

And, do you know about smurfy's site? It's an excellent resource.

#5 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

View PostPistrik, on 15 July 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

I DID have around 5m, but I bought a couple locusts to cruise around in. But any mech will do, as I have premium time and it won;t take long to grind up the bills.

Champion trial poptart Shadow Hawk is actually a good mech to use.
Not sure how is it after the JJ nerfs though.

#6 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

For 'Mechs, don't just buy a couple - you need three of any chassis to double the effectiveness of your Basic skills, as well as to buy Speed Tweak. This is vital in order to unlock (see what I did there) the full potential of any chassis.

As for what 'mechs to buy, it depends on what you enjoy. Use the trial 'mechs to get a general idea, and build on what you know. I recommend you buy one of every weight class first, and then branch out from there.

For gameplay, you'll need to be more cautious than you've been in the past, particularly with the Clan Invasion. The Clans are pretty fun, and not clearly overpowered, but there is a LOT more firepower with a LOT more range floating around out there. This makes players very cautious, and they'll tend to camp and snipe a lot of the time. This trend might be reversing, as the metagame stabilizes in the aftermath of so many new 'Mechs being released, but it's early to tell. In any case, be prepared for Heavy 'Mechs that are faster than you've ever seen, and watch your teammates to get a feel for what they're going to do.

For what you have, I'd recommend taking that Raven 3L and going Laserchicken (2 ER Large Lasers) with it. Slap in extended range, seismic, and advanced target decay, then poke the flanks and spot for missiles - never stay in the same place for too long, and try to take the time (from cover) to relay information to your team. This will get you a feel for how games in your Elo range are playing out, as well as getting you some C-bills for spotting enemies and taking out wounded 'mechs who don't know you've flanked their cover.

#7 Petard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGawler, South Australia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:51 PM

Medium...Shadowhawk... I have 3 of em, best non clan medium IMO, very capable sniper when built right.

Heavy...Jagermech or Cataphract...Also have 3 Jagers and 2 Cata's, Firebrand is very nice, one of my fave mechs, Jager S, Jager DD, and Jager A are also very good. Cata 3D and Ilya Muromets are also very nice, all capable of being nasty snipers with the right builds, except for the Jager A, which is basically a very good all rounder, but still capable of a few nasty ballistic sniper builds.

Good Hunting

P.S. ...Kit Fox is a very fun light, very different playstyle to most IS lights, but very capable mech indeed.

Edited by Petard, 15 July 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#8 Cervani

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 15 July 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

For 'Mechs, don't just buy a couple - you need three of any chassis to double the effectiveness of your Basic skills, as well as to buy Speed Tweak. This is vital in order to unlock (see what I did there) the full potential of any chassis.

As for what 'mechs to buy, it depends on what you enjoy. Use the trial 'mechs to get a general idea, and build on what you know. I recommend you buy one of every weight class first, and then branch out from there.

For gameplay, you'll need to be more cautious than you've been in the past, particularly with the Clan Invasion. The Clans are pretty fun, and not clearly overpowered, but there is a LOT more firepower with a LOT more range floating around out there. This makes players very cautious, and they'll tend to camp and snipe a lot of the time. This trend might be reversing, as the metagame stabilizes in the aftermath of so many new 'Mechs being released, but it's early to tell. In any case, be prepared for Heavy 'Mechs that are faster than you've ever seen, and watch your teammates to get a feel for what they're going to do.

For what you have, I'd recommend taking that Raven 3L and going Laserchicken (2 ER Large Lasers) with it. Slap in extended range, seismic, and advanced target decay, then poke the flanks and spot for missiles - never stay in the same place for too long, and try to take the time (from cover) to relay information to your team. This will get you a feel for how games in your Elo range are playing out, as well as getting you some C-bills for spotting enemies and taking out wounded 'mechs who don't know you've flanked their cover.

Huehue! I've ran that before. Right now I've changed it up, and went 1 ERLL/1 ERPPC, and snickering as I pop things.

So far a lot of suggestions for the Shadowhawk and Jager/Blackjack. I will admit, all three are some of my favorites to play out of the trial mechs (shadowhawk in particular) so mebbe once I get some cash I may grab a Jager or Shadowhawk. I'm also curious if you guys think the clan packs are worth it, or should I pick and choose chassys,

#9 Heydiddly

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 79 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

Regarding the Arrow, I have it and I love it. It is capable of great things, IF you play it right.

That means having a bit of self-discipline, since the 6xMG dakkafest is entirely useless early game, and it is very easy to get yourself killed with all of 6 damage. Slap 2 ERLLs on it to keep yourself occupied and you should be fine. Survive to late game and you can bring in a LOT of kills and component destructions with surprising ease.

Jagermechs make great snipers as others have said, with nice high weapon mounts and enough tonnage to comfortably use dual-gauss, which can be monstrous.

Can't really speak to the clans as I don't have any, but I would assume their generally increased range over IS counterparts would make them very good for long range play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users