Do You Enjoy Spending Money On This Game?

38 replies to this topic

#1 Remedy 6

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 46 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMechin' my way downtown

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

So I was up late at night trying to fall asleep and I came across this video. I think it mainly focuses on MMORPGs rather than the arena-style games like World of Tanks, War Thunder, and MWO. (Although it does mention League of Legends' model) So I pose another question to you: what would this game have to do for you to enjoy spending money on it?

Do you groan at the thought of pulling out your wallet and buying premium time/a hero mech/clan collection? Or is it something you're eagerly looking forward to buying at the time of the transaction? Is the free-to-play structure of MWO integrated in a way that's satisfying for you as a player? Discuss.

#2 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

I do not enjoy spending money on this game because of the horrible, annoying, boring grindfest to set up new mechs and it's 10x worse if you're a new player and I'm still pretty bitter about it.

I grudgingly spent a little bit of money a while ago to get some more mech bays and a little bit more recently to unlock a color or 2 for color coordination with group play; I guess you could say there was some enjoyment in buying a color or 2 but I only bought some mech bays so that I could have a functional amount of mech storage, although the 4 free mech bays given out in previous months have helped and I have & will give credit for that.

So, I generally don't enjoy spending money on this game and after unlocking a color or 2 and having enough mech bays I really don't see any reason to spend more money whereas before I thought "yeah I could use a color or 2 and some mech bays" but after having those things...I don't want to spend money on anything else.

#3 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

I really look forward to new mechs, and thus dont mind spending money on hero's or any of the Mech packages for that matter. Still kicking myself for not getting the wolverine/griffin pack. I dont usually use premium time unless I get it in a pack, but I do buy camo patterns and paints for all of my 100+ mechs, havent had any regrets so far.

I also convert massive amounts of GXP on double conversion sales, really hate the grind to speed tweak, so I often buy my way to it and level from there.

Edited by DONTOR, 14 July 2014 - 08:06 AM.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

I don't enjoy spending money on any game.

But then I dislike having to pay bills, shop for groceries, etc. about the only time I really "enjoy" spending money is when I am getting gifts for people I care about, and even then I would rather craft it myself, if I possess the requisite skills.

That said, I don't dislike spending money here, at least anymore than any other game. I've tried WoT, WarThunder, and a host of other games, and for whatever reason, end up back here. I just am too devoted to this IP, from TT, to fiction to video games. Add in the people I enjoy playing with, be it HARDCorps, CGB, or the other units and factions I get to drop with on occasion, and I would rather spend money on this game, ATM, than any other, in spite of it's shortcomings.

The day I have a better Mechwarrior/Battletech game to play, is the day that changes.

#5 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

Did not mind spending the 80 and then extra for the phoniex package and upgrade. Prior to that bought some mech bays.

Then I sat and waited for CW and other promised content. Then came the clan announcement and I began to REALLY research and back track everything that was said and promised vs actually done.

I put my wallet away and skipped on the clans.

I do not mind and will not IN THE FUTURE mind spend more money on the this game.

I just would like more than what is currently offered aka Giant Stompy Robot death matches.

#6 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

As with anything else, if I enjoy it I have no trouble spending money and if I don't enjoy it I don't spend money. I can't imagine unhappily spending money for any reason. Well....except for taxes and I really have no choice there either way.

#7 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 July 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

The day I have a better Mechwarrior/Battletech game to play, is the day that changes.

Not gonna happen :D

#8 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

It's not that I enjoy spending money, but I haven't yet found it to be a bad investment given the purchases I've made for it so far.

Thinking about it, MWO may well have more hours/dollar in entertainment value, even with how much I've put into it, than any other game I've played, including several MMOs (and I certainly find the gameplay more enjoyable than a lot of the chores that MMOs force you to do).

#9 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 14 July 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

I really look forward to new mechs, and thus dont mind spending money on hero's or any of the Mech packages for that matter. Still kicking myself for not getting the wolverine/griffin pack. I dont usually use premium time unless I get it in a pack, but I do buy camo patterns and paints for all of my 100+ mechs, havent had any regrets so far.

I also convert massive amounts of GXP on double conversion sales, really hate the grind to speed tweak, so I often buy my way to it and level from there.

Pretty much the same for me. And it's still a lot cheaper than the wife's horse.

#10 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

View PostRemedy 6, on 14 July 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

what would this game have to do for you to enjoy spending money on it?

The question in your post assumes we already do not enjoy spending money on this game. When I decide to spend money it is because I am wanting to buy the product that is available. Having it makes me happier. The actual process of spending money does not make me happy. Getting what I want after the actual transaction does.

If you are wanting to know if I regret or am upset that things cost money then the answer is no. I live in the real world. everything costs money here. Spending some money to buy some MC instead of 1/2 a movie ticket does not upset me in the slightest.

EDIT: In fact I'm about due for another MC charge. These mechs aren't painting themselves.

Edited by ThomasMarik, 14 July 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 14 July 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

It's not that I enjoy spending money, but I haven't yet found it to be a bad investment given the purchases I've made for it so far.

Thinking about it, MWO may well have more hours/dollar in entertainment value, even with how much I've put into it, than any other game I've played, including several MMOs (and I certainly find the gameplay more enjoyable than a lot of the chores that MMOs force you to do).

This.

I have well over 2000 hours logged, probably closer to 3-4000, since CB. (Anyone else wish the Stats would tabulate totals at the bottom?)

I have also spent about 2000 on this game, to date.

at most, a buck an hour, for entertainment.

Concerts run 30-100 bucks for 3-4 hours. A Sporting match, easily can be several hundred dollars for 3 hours. A movie, which half the time I regret seeing, 10 bucks for 1.5 hours.

The math seem simple enough to me.

#12 Remedy 6

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 46 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMechin' my way downtown

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 14 July 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

The question in your post assumes we already do not enjoy spending money on this game.

Truefax. I think I just assumed that people don't like spending money to begin with. That and I see a lot of posts saying "P2W this" and "P2W that."

#13 Ronan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

I do enjoy spending money on this game, on the bits I enjoy.

I don't find there to be a grind... but that is TOTALLY perspective. I actually LIKE just dropping and getting some stomp stomp dakka dakka pew pew pew. So, for ME the XP and cBills just kinda "happen."

I don't buy or use premium time right now.

I have one Founder mech, all the ProPho mechs, and a couple other heroes. I enjoyed spending that money because I enjoy those mechs.

Now, the fact that I actually like playing the game right now may mark me as a madman and invalidate my opinion in many peoples eyes :D. YMMV

#14 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

I think you need to be in a real extreme monetary situation to enjoy expelling it. I'm too riddled with guilt to enjoy it.

#15 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

As others have said, I don't ever enjoy spending money per se, but don't mind it for things I enjoy. I've enjoyed everything I've bought for this game (well, I have a couple dog heroes, but have enjoyed the process of exploring all the mech types so don't resent that either).

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 14 July 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

As others have said, I don't ever enjoy spending money per se, but don't mind it for things I enjoy. I've enjoyed everything I've bought for this game (well, I have a couple dog heroes, but have enjoyed the process of exploring all the mech types so don't resent that either).

I did buy a Pretty Baby once. That still stings a bit.

#17 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 July 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

I like my Pretty Baby. I was actually taking it for a spin last night. Good memories. I need to get reused to how it handles though.

#18 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 July 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

This.

I have well over 2000 hours logged, probably closer to 3-4000, since CB. (Anyone else wish the Stats would tabulate totals at the bottom?)

I have also spent about 2000 on this game, to date.

at most, a buck an hour, for entertainment.

Concerts run 30-100 bucks for 3-4 hours. A Sporting match, easily can be several hundred dollars for 3 hours. A movie, which half the time I regret seeing, 10 bucks for 1.5 hours.

The math seem simple enough to me.

Since the stat wipe I've apparently played around 69 hours (current stats).

Prior to that, I played around 256 hours (archived stats).

Taken together that's 325 hours, and that's all after Closed Beta ended (and I did play a lot then). If you allow that I spent maybe 300 USD on this game for myself (not counting gifts for my Dad, since those aren't relevant to my personal playtime stats), I'm looking at 0.92USD per hour, which is amazingly price efficient for entertainment.

Edited by Levi Porphyrogenitus, 14 July 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#19 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 July 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

Ouch. Grid Iron and Heavy Metal for me.

#20 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

It is obious from most of the posts that they did not listen to the link you sent. If they had they may have answered differently. I have been happy with most of the purchases I have made here. Glad to buy the Founders pack,

Obiously this game is better than some of the examples in the vid. But also they need to work harder at changing their model to get players to want to spend the money without falling into the traps mentioned. Nice find. I hope PGI is paying attention to it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users