Do You Enjoy Spending Money On This Game?

38 replies to this topic

#21 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

Well, I toss in a tiny amount of money for MC every few months and then slowly spend it on sales on color, GXP exchange, and Mechbays. I am low on MC right now, but I am also slowly picking up DLC for a different game I also play. I want to unlock camo patterns on a few mechs, but I need the brakes done on my car and my license renewal is coming up so I can't put more than $10 into games this month. Still for the amount of entertainment I get from them, $10 is CHEAP.

#22 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

Honestly No. Most everything is just too expensive, however I have been really ill (just recovering) and very bored so I have been ponying up cash despite feeling that everything was too expensive (haven't been able to really go out or be active so nothing better to do).

I have been preaching this since open beta. If PGI would get a clue and make the prices on virtually everything more reasonable, a hell of alot more people will be spending money.

Right now though, MWO is a very, very, very expensive game,especially with the many Pay-to-Play elements associated with it like want to play Clans, pay up or wait 2-6 months. $55 for a mech that barely give you anything extra or useful in game just so you don't have to wait 2-6 months to get it really just pushes things beyond what most people can afford.

#23 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

I don't enjoy spending money (on anything), but I spend money on things I enjoy. And MWO is among them.

#24 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 July 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

I did buy a Pretty Baby once. That still stings a bit.

True. I actually got rid of it.

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PostFoxwalker, on 14 July 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

It is obious from most of the posts that they did not listen to the link you sent. If they had they may have answered differently. I have been happy with most of the purchases I have made here. Glad to buy the Founders pack,

Obiously this game is better than some of the examples in the vid. But also they need to work harder at changing their model to get players to want to spend the money without falling into the traps mentioned. Nice find. I hope PGI is paying attention to it.

The link may have salient points, but from my reading of the post the link was what engendered this:

View PostRemedy 6, on 14 July 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

) So I pose another question to you: what would this game have to do for you to enjoy spending money on it?

And to that, is what most of the answers have been directed. While there are things I would like added, I already have no issue spending money on the game, link or no link.

View PostBilbo, on 14 July 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

True. I actually got rid of it.

same. Only MC purchase I ever sold off. Better than the constant reminder of a bad purchase in my mechbay, even at 50% off.

#26 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

I've spent a lot of money and the only time I really regret it is when I find something else I want to buy... Unfortunately my spending on MWO is taking a break (not through any fault of MWO, real life expenses taking priority).

#27 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

Still sitting on some of my Founder Pack MC. It was one of the best video game investments I ever made. Always has enough mechbays, always had premium time running each time I bought a new 3-set of mechs that needed to be mastered, patterns & colours for my favorite mechs, oodles and oodles of GXP from gxp conversion sales, lifetime bonus on my CPLTC1F as well as a Protector. It's still paying out in terms of having CB-bonus mechs, MC left for new bays camo and paint, and GXP to get modules and unlock a stubborn mech skill here or there

Daishi clan mech pack has been tons of fun so far, not $120 worth of fun yet but it's only been a month.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 14 July 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#28 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

I don't regret what I've spent on MW:O. I've played for over a year now and spent about 120.00 That's really cheap entertainment. I spent more than that on the old MW titles over the years and they'll no longer have any updates. In fact Bishop Steiner took them with him when he moved away from me. :D So he got more use out of them than I did.

I'll continue to support the game as long as it holds my interest. I think things like CW will go a long way in retaining players. This is the sort of thing the video talked about. Adding attributes to the game to make you want to spend money on it. I think CW will go a long way in making the game survive and thrive.

#29 Tank

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

I don't regret spending money on this game. Like any other entertainment - it cost something, at least your time.
And compare to other things to compare with, like good vine and food, this game is whole lot cheaper. :D

#30 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

Lets just say that I have spent all that I intend to spend on this game.

#31 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Same answer I gave in the thread on whether Clan mechs were worth it:

I was playing for free and felt I got enough enjoyment out of the time I played to merit spending money on the game. So I bought 3 a la carte Clan mechs and some MC for GXP conversion so I wouldn't have to grind 9 mechs through basic efficiencies. I think the amount I spent matches how much I've enjoyed the game. And I'm mostly happy with the things I bought, as well.

When I first started playing, it was difficult to rationalize spending money on access to digital objects that depend on the game's longevity. If I still thought that way, I wouldn't have spent any money. But I do still have trouble rationalizing money for colors or patterns that weren't included with my Clan purchase.

I think they'll have to get creative to make me want to spend more money because back in the day I could spend $50 on a game like Myth: The Fallen Lords, play multiplayer for free on the production servers until the game was no longer supported, and then player-hosted servers after that because the developers had a good relationship with their player community.

#32 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostRonan, on 14 July 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Now, the fact that I actually like playing the game right now may mark me as a madman and invalidate my opinion in many peoples eyes :ph34r:. YMMV

I am a madman regardless, does that invalidate my opinion? :D

#33 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

I'm generally considered a tight wad and I don't ENJOY spending money on anything.

However, I do not REGRET spending any of the money I have spent on this game. On a per hour basis, this is one of the cheapest past-times I have.

You can see from the left that I bought a complete Masakari pack, and I've kept myself in MC and premium time enough to reduce the grind to enjoyable levels. It's still cheaper than going out to the movies on an hourly basis for me and WAY cheaper than competition shooting.

#34 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 14 July 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

I don't regret what I've spent on MW:O. I've played for over a year now and spent about 120.00 That's really cheap entertainment. I spent more than that on the old MW titles over the years and they'll no longer have any updates. In fact Bishop Steiner took them with him when he moved away from me. :) So he got more use out of them than I did.

I'll continue to support the game as long as it holds my interest. I think things like CW will go a long way in retaining players. This is the sort of thing the video talked about. Adding attributes to the game to make you want to spend money on it. I think CW will go a long way in making the game survive and thrive.

Well the old MW titles were about $20 to $30 and we played them for years
each one had had about 40 or so Maps a Campaign as well as MP so I see More Value there

#35 Cryptic Gamer

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

Yip

I enjoy spending money.

Cryptic out :(

(Though to clarify, my time spent playing this game and not pursuing my other activities as loyally as before has essentially saved me a lot more money than I have spent. And I know that I've spent a lot more than most. :P )

#36 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:45 AM

I play War Thunder, World of Tanks and Mechwarrior Online. Recently started with Phantasy Star Online 2, and quit from Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn a few months ago. Last game had too much of a grind and some really annoying dungeon mechanics.

I don't regret spending money on any of the games. Except buying La Malinche in MWO. The Nova in the Clan packs didn't work out well for me, although others maybe getting better mileage.

I quit playing World of Tanks because of their horrific lag spike issues on their North American servers. War Thunder and Mechwarrior Online have some packet loss issues, but War Thunder has the far more robust client because the client won't quit on you no matter what, and it syncs much faster, so you don't have this "Connecting" error spinning like you do on the Mechwarrior client.

Of all the games I am currently playing right now, War Thunder (the aircraft, not the Ground Forces) has been the most fun of all, its the game that can keep me up to the early hours of the morning, my heart still pumping, while I would probably quit playing Mechwarrior Online after a few hours with the need to sleep. Not saying MWO isn't fun, but playing Terra Therma for the umpthteenth time gets old after a while.

#37 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

See my devoted badge?

I'll just leave this here...

Replace iRack with MW:O and iRAN with MW:T (MechWarrior Tactics)

Also - putting things into it = heat scaled weapons.

AdLib it as you see fit to changes, updates.

#38 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

never felt forced to pay for anything, have not regretted any purchases either
very happy with the MWO model, it has areas that can be improved but they will get there eventually just like league of legends has

one thing is for sure nothing could be as bad as https://www.transfor...iverse.com/home

#39 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

yes I do, otherwise I do not buy the stuff. I tend to not play games that force me to buy stuff to proceed in those games. And here in MWo, no need to buy stuff, but Ohh a shiny, Nova, daym had to buy it xD

If you spend mone yon things that makes you happy, then yes its enjoyable. But taxes aren't enjoyable, because money wasted for who knows what.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users