Which Battletech Book Should I Read First?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Tool Box

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 219 posts
  • LocationDealing with a lance of enemies by myself.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

My dad gave me Way of the Clans to read first but as I understand it there are many "first books". I'm assuming he made a good choice for me to start on but I was just wondering if there is a better one?

#2 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Fiction? Well for clan era how about the blood of kerensky trilogy
lethal hereitage
blood legacy
lost destiny

Otherwise Since you are posting in this game forum the TT game core books I would also recommend the 3025 and 3050 TRO's

#3 Tool Box

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 219 posts
  • LocationDealing with a lance of enemies by myself.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

View PostBartholomew bartholomew, on 14 July 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

Otherwise Since you are posting in this game forum the TT game core books I would also recommend the 3025 and 3050 TRO's

This is the only mechwarrior/battletech game forum I know about. So it's the one I posted in if there is a better forum to post in then please let me know :)

I'm a huge noob when it comes to the mechwarrior and battletech universe I may have played mechwarrior 2, 3 and 4 games as a kid but I barely remember them. Also since I haven't read the books I just went on what my dad has told me about the clans and the inner sphere. His description of Clan Wolf was in layman's terms that they are good bad guys.

I am going to read the books because
1. They seem like a really cool bunch of books (Its good to read rather than play a game sometimes.)
2. I want to properly develop a stand point so I can choose what affiliation I want to be in, in this game. (Currently clan wolf as of making this post.)

Edited by Tool Box, 14 July 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#4 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

They are good books. Although since they are written by many authors you get some less than stellar ones.

Here are a couple of other forums for battletech if you are interested.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/

http://nogutsnogalaxy.net

#5 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

I highly suggest getting the warrior Trilogy. En Garde, Coupe, and Riposte are the name of the books.

My mom recently ran out of books to read in my parents house, so I suggested reading the BT/MW series and gave her the Warrior Trilogy to read, she can't put them down and asked me a few days ago on how long is the series. I told her its well over 100 books. She then told me she needed to get an Amazon account to get more from the series. I was like... DAMN!!

Edited by Coralld, 14 July 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#6 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

I would agree that the Warrior Tirilogy is the place to start.

For the record the first book ever printed that I am aware of is "The Sword and The Dagger" and is primarily about Hanse Davion and why he hates Max Liao. It is sort of a prelude to the Warrior Trilogy

Failing that the Grey Death Legion. Starting with The Decision at Thunder Rift.

Both of these series give a better feel for the IS and mech technology that do the Clan books. Although any book that has crap kicked out of he hero in he first few pages is usually off to a good start (legend of the Jade Pheonix series, Aiden Pryde is the hero)

#7 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

If I am not mistaken there is one that takes place with Alexander Davion (That's pre succession wars) as the "main character" and all the hardships he had to endure, as well as what was going on with all the Houses at that time to get a better look at what was like before the IS blasted themselves nearly back into the stone age. However, it was a German publication and I am not sure it was translated into English, and was a short story, the title is "Raven". The Auther was, Jason Schmetzer.
Now I never read "Raven" so...

Edited by Coralld, 14 July 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#8 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

View PostTool Box, on 14 July 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

My dad gave me Way of the Clans to read first but as I understand it there are many "first books". I'm assuming he made a good choice for me to start on but I was just wondering if there is a better one?

http://mwomercs.com/...ore-start-here/

Should cover whatcha need to know, even if you skip to the novels section.

Way of the clans introduces you to the clans. IMO, you might want to read the warrior trilogy and the blood of kerensky trilogy first.

#9 VictoryRoad

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

Many have listed good starts on this thread.

http://mwomercs.com/...pic/801-novels/

#10 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

Greetings all,

Just for additional reference there is the Pdf of "Touring the Stars", which looks back at every faction from it's 'dark age' timeline.
- Adds in the backstory for all the entities of this BattleTech timeline.
- It's 105 pages long, so be sitting down.

http://bg.battletech...tars.pdf?28cf69

And there also the Sarna 'Timeline' event list:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Timeline

- This is one place where you can become somewhat lost to the outside world, so many links and branch's that can be followed. Best to set a loud timer if you go here. (this rabbit hole only gets bigger on the inside.)

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 26 August 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#11 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

I also suggest the Warrior Trilogy as start.
It's about the 4rd Succesion War and the creation of the Federated Commonwealth, so it's like a Space Soap Opera.

And after the Warrior Trilogy: Heir to the Dragon
It is a single book about the conflict between the Lord of House Kurita and his Son. Later one get's a real development of character in the book starting as young, immature rebel and becoming a keen leader and politician.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users