Bonuses For Dropping In Class Few Are Using

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Bonuses for dropping in class fewer are using (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Should these bonuses be added?

1. Yes (37 votes [94.87%])

Percentage of vote: 94.87%

2. No (1 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

3. Partially (post suggestion below) (1 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Major Derps

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:53 AM

So I notice the amount of people dropping in Lights and Mediums, are (more often than not) at much lower percentages than the Heavy and Assault classes. However, simply offering shorter wait times is not enough, as it really just means you are poorly matched due to lack of options for the matchmaker. So how about a reward multiplier for credits and xp earned in match for those using classes that a lower percentage of people are using? A little incentive to actually use the weight class lacking numbers may help the situation a little.

*poll edited to allow those who partially agree to vote.

Edited by Mokey Mot, 05 August 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#2 AUSSIETROOPER4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:46 AM

Further to this for dropping in rarely seen mechs.

#3 Sardauker Legion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 152 posts
  • LocationDropship Litany of Fury, Draconis Combinate, covert ops

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:24 AM

I agree. Stop the assault invasion.

#4 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

So you want to reward people for playing mechs that others don't like to play, and you don't like to play against? Yep, sounds like PGI.
Why not let people play what they like?

#5 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostWolfways, on 19 July 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

So you want to reward people for playing mechs that others don't like to play, and you don't like to play against? Yep, sounds like PGI.

I don't exactly understand your complaint. There are some players who will play any class, and we could encourage them to play the less used classes by offering more C-Bills. Why wouldn't we want a more balanced queue? It'd speed up matchmaking times and allow for more variety in the game.

The OP doesn't suggest a penalty to people playing the more popular classes in the queue, so I don't see how it's not letting people play what they like. You just get a bonus for helping to speed up matchmaking.

#6 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

I agree with OP. There should be incentives to playing a weight class with >5% difference from top 2. With a >5% difference requirement that will prevent bonuses from triggering when all the queues are +/- 4% of each other.

#7 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

View PostTechorse, on 21 July 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

I don't exactly understand your complaint. There are some players who will play any class, and we could encourage them to play the less used classes by offering more C-Bills. Why wouldn't we want a more balanced queue? It'd speed up matchmaking times and allow for more variety in the game.

The OP doesn't suggest a penalty to people playing the more popular classes in the queue, so I don't see how it's not letting people play what they like. You just get a bonus for helping to speed up matchmaking.

Umm... i don't even remember reading the OP tbh. I read a few "give a bonus to less played classes" threads and think i might have replied to the wrong one.
Sorry OP :)

#8 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

This is a great incentive.

#9 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

voted NO because it's missing the whole point. lights should legitimately have a role and be rewarded for the role. and not for just dropping in that class

for example, rewards finding a "new" enemy by targeting an enemy that has not been "seen" by any friendlies, extra cbills compared to other classes for spotting and NARC assists, etc etc

#10 PigMonkey

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSome place where I don't know where I am.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

The issue as I see it is, Once heavies and/or Assults get over 35% in cue, there is no point to playing anything but heavies and assults. Lights will be around cause they will always have a role, but there is no fun in playing mediums any more cause they are slow enough to be easy targets for clan and not armored enough to take the one time alpha from the inevatible pod of direwhales that find its way to the battle field EVERY SINGLE MATCH . Moreover, now that I know what the percentage of heavies and assults are, I only take heavies when the cue is full of heavies, cause I want a good game, thus exeserbating the problem. I like mediums. They are a versitile mech as long as you are not only matched against Heavies and assults.

I dont think there will ever be a way to reward people into playing other mechs. Either PGI will have to institute hard limits of the mechs in game (say cap it at 30%, and you have to wait in cue till the percentage drops below that),

or

If the percentage of the type of mech in game goes over 30% reduce XP and C-Bill Pay out by the percentage of type of mech in game. I think people will think twice about playing a heavy if they are loosing half of the reward for playing.

#11 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

View PostWolfways, on 21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

Umm... i don't even remember reading the OP tbh. I read a few "give a bonus to less played classes" threads and think i might have replied to the wrong one.
Sorry OP :P

That's ok. Some of those other threads would rather punish players for picking more used classes, where as this one is designed to reward those who'd play the less used ones.

Positive reinforcement buzzword go!

#12 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

I'm not going to vote on this because i'd rather see all mechs have viable roles instead of just leaving some mechs less viable and giving a reward for playing them.
The last thing i'd like to see is PGI throw on another bandaid and then forget about the problem.

Edited by Wolfways, 24 July 2014 - 10:30 AM.

#13 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 23 July 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

... rewards finding a "new" enemy by targeting an enemy that has not been "seen" by any friendlies, extra cbills compared to other classes for spotting and NARC assists, etc etc

I like this idea. I think the rewards for playing to the game type are too low. The bonuses for capturing in Conquest and Assault are laughable. If the game had better bonuses then people would play lights more often.

#14 Major Derps

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

View Postknightsljx, on 23 July 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

voted NO because it's missing the whole point. lights should legitimately have a role and be rewarded for the role. and not for just dropping in that class

for example, rewards finding a "new" enemy by targeting an enemy that has not been "seen" by any friendlies, extra cbills compared to other classes for spotting and NARC assists, etc etc

View PostWolfways, on 24 July 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

I'm not going to vote on this because i'd rather see all mechs have viable roles instead of just leaving some mechs less viable and giving a reward for playing them.
The last thing i'd like to see is PGI throw on another bandaid and then forget about the problem.
I agree with both of you, but that is a different topic of discussion.

View PostWolfways, on 19 July 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

They can, no one is stopping them. That's like saying the first win bonus for each mech isn't allowing you to play what you would like. I'm not suggesting a restriction, merely an incentive.

#15 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

i agree, that this would help, especialy with the match maker

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users